Torture

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One terrorist scumbag who hides behind womens' skirts and uses children as human shields temporary and reversible discomfort in exchange for hundreds or thousands of lives? Call me the king of hypocrite nation, then. The two aren't even remotely close in comparison.
If you can give a single instance where torture would have saved "hundreds or thousands of lives" where moral interrogation methods wouldn't have also worked, I'll eat my hat.

Torture doesn't kill, it only causes pain enough to seek information.
Except when torture does kill people. (http://www.shrc.org/data/aspx/d5/3775.aspx)

Why don't you google it, am I your mother? Or is thousands of years of successful militaries utilizing torture not a strong enough test?
Those militaries would undoubtedly have been more successful if they had used other methods of interrogation.

And Here's John McCain, who was tortured, making the same exact argument: http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/11/29/100012.shtml
And Here's John McCain, who was tortured, saying that he is "obviously" against torture:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/31/mccain-torture-waterboarding/

What did McCain have to say about torturing?

I obviously don’t want to torture any prisoners.
And torture does not solely mean waterboarding. The two are not synonymous. Sleep deprivation is a standard coercion tactic. The fact is you can't get infromation from an enemy by playing chamberlain and offering them tea and crumpets. Coercion tactics have been used for tactical information throughout history. The idea the practice only came into vogue because humanity of previous ages were barbarians is ridiculous. We've had plenty of barbarians hanging around since 1933 and even today.
Actually, the facts are that you get more information more reliably if you don't torture.

Where are these non-uniformed, armed combatants captured? A battlefield. You can't really interrogate someone in the middle of a battlefield, you have to extract information later. Even then, torture is only used as a last resort, not a first resort.
yeah, except you can't just waterboard people in the middle of the battlefield. We torture people in secret prisons with physicians standing there in case they are about to die. It's hardly spontaneous.

Not only does torture go against everything the United States stands for, IT DOESNT FUCKING WORK. Real life is not an episode of "24".

Definitions and clarifications

I think that we need to clarify some things first.

Water boarding is torture. If you click this link you can actually watch someone being water boarded, the author who wrote the article mormoopid linked. It's so fucking obviously torture. It's traumatic and painful, it may not leave scars and the flesh might not be mutilated but it's 100% torture.

I think almost everybody in this thread would agree with me when I say everyone is equal. The price of an individuals life is extremely high. If everyone is equal then many > one, correct?

So if we've established that then torturing one person to save the lives of over a hundred people then it's justified. However, torture is so cruel and so vile that because of it's severity should never be used on someone who isn't confirmed to be guilty of a crime. If they're only a suspect then using torture on someone should be abhorred.

Although, I personally wouldn't allow any government to torture anyone because I think that telling a human being to torture another human being is inherently wrong and I'd never do it myself.

edit:
Not only does torture go against everything the United States stands for, IT DOESNT FUCKING WORK.
jrrrrrrr, What does the United States stand for? Please refrain from making arguments of patriotism.

Why should we not torture terrorists to save American lives?
I think that's a good question, but torturing them should be allowed just for the sake of saving the American. Otherwise, torture is incorrect.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
jrrrrrrr, What does the United States stand for? Please refrain from making arguments of patriotism.
Well I assume that we "stand for" the Constitution and rule of law, which both indicate that you should not punish people who are innocent until proven guilty. Even in the rare cases that someone who has been tortured DOES get a trial and conviction, it also protects against cruel and unusual punishment.

How is the notion of "we should follow our own laws" is escaping people? Torture has proven time and time again to be an ineffective, dangerous method of interrogation. The fact that anybody could sit back and support torture is absolutely mind-boggling.

I think that's a good question, but torturing them should be allowed just for the sake of saving the American. Otherwise, torture is incorrect.
I find that "saving american lives" is a gigantic copout. Lives of any nationality, race or creed should be saved regardless. For instance you could also compare some actions of the United States to terrorism, bombing many countries and killing many innocent people.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any torture is unthinkable. The fact that we tried and hanged Japanese soldiers that waterboarded people during WW2 should indicate that it is a pretty serious practice.
Define torture.

Because there are ways of getting more reliable information just as effectively without resorting to going against everything the United States stands for.
Waterboarding may be a crapshoot, but that doesn't mean other methods that aren't tea parties and polite conversation don't work.

As soon as we stop abiding by our own laws, Deck's fantasy of a big controlling government becomes a reality. As soon as we stop abiding by our own laws, we are becoming terrorists.
The Geneva Conventions? They don't apply to terrorists. No seriously, look the damn thing up. You need to be in uniform in the service of the nation. Otherwise you'd be arguing Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers are subject to the protections of Geneva.

As to big government taking over: Dictatorships exist, do they not?

Since the people in question are tortured before they are convicted, you can't say what they were intending to do.
What part of "caught on the battlefield" don't you understand jrrr? These people are not randomly picked off the street like a drug dealer. It is fruitless arguing with you if you do not concede this point. No one brought in for interrogation is innocent, they were caught in the act of an attack or plot. War is not a civil offense. Clinton tried calling the police as a response to terrorism, and it got him nothing. You cannot pretend your sworn enemy caught attempting to kill you is innocent before proven guilty, that will get you killed.

And yeah, torturing helpless inmates who haven't even been given a trial to determine if they are guilty is really comparable to being attacked from behind.
Three people have been tortured. None of them were at Gitmo. None of them are inmates now. Your argument is irrelevant.

Torture does not protect American citizens. It only endangers them, both by stirring up anti-American sentiment and by providing (usually) unreliable information.
The people who are attacking us now have been calling us The Great Satan since before Jimmy Carter came on the scene. These motherfuckers celebrated on 9/11 as 3000 people died. They. Celebrated. Anti-American sentiment? Please. They hate us no matter what we do, they are the new Nazis. Was Hitler any nicer after we conceded Poland to him? How about France? No? I wonder why. Probably because people think America is to blame for all the world's problems, and if only we were a little nicer and didn't completely outclass their culture, social mores, and individual liberty in every conceivable way they would like us more. Maybe because blaming vague "policies" for resulting violence is idiocy, especially foreign policy, the most vacuous and impossible to control policy of all.

Nope, torture has proven to be an inferior tactic in attaining information. "They did it hundreds of years ago, so it must be OK now!" is really your argument? I mean, I know youre conservative...but you really want to regress our system of law by 700 years?
My argument is merely that torture has not been done for kicks. It obviously had use as a deterrent in previous centuries. It may be considered ugly now, but being ugly and being useless are two different things.

Yeah, shipping him off to a secret prison was just so useful in preventing terrorism plots. I'm sure you would say that waterboarding him 183 times and abusing his children was justified?
Links please for abusing his chilren.

To clarify, just so there won't be any conclusion:

If "torture" works and it can save lives, it should not be prohibited from use in the most dire of cases.

If "torture" doesn't work then obviously it is an inherent waste of time.

The main problem is that like anything else, some methods of coercion are more effective than others. Thus you cannot ban "torture" itself but must first define a practice as torture and then determine its usefulness in gathering information.

Well I assume that we "stand for" the Constitution and rule of law, which both indicate that you should not punish people who are innocent until proven guilty. Even in the rare cases that someone who has been tortured DOES get a trial and conviction, it also protects against cruel and unusual punishment.
It's definitely unconstitutional but so was the war in Iraq, I don't think laws apply to a moral debate. I think most people would agree that torture is a cruel and vile practice.

People have suggested that there are other ways to extract information from detained terrorist yet they haven't actually listed any (to my knowledge). I'd actually like to know what these techniques are, because if they're not as cruel as torture and have a higher success rate then torture should be completely abandoned except for use in my bedroom with Deck Knight.

edit: can someone please make a hiroshima and nagasaki bombing thread?

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's definitely unconstitutional but so was the war in Iraq, I don't think laws apply to a moral debate. I think most people would agree that torture is a cruel and vile practice.

People have suggested that there are other ways to extract information from detained terrorist yet they haven't actually listed any (to my knowledge). I'd actually like to know what these techniques are, because if they're not as cruel as torture and have a higher success rate then torture should be completely abandoned except for use in my bedroom with Deck Knight.
I will relish in interrogating you on why you chose to emulate GGFan. Reruns of Barney, Gigli, or Battlefield Earth? Pick your poison now.

DK, this is from your own CNN article:
But other countries usually considered anti-American condemned the terrorists -- including traditionally anti-American ruler Moammar Gadhafi, Afghanistan's Taliban and Iran.
Gadhafi called the attacks "horrifying" and urged international Muslim aid groups to join other international aid agencies in offering assistance to the United States "regardless of political considerations or differences between America and the peoples of the world."
so not only did the whole muslim world react as badly as you just implied, but we invaded one of the locations that had a leader that wanted us to be offered help...

Everybody seems to continually ignore the fact that once somebody who is not in uniform shoots at a uniformed soldier, that person no longer has any protection under international law.

Also, I don't think Deck Knight's fantasy is a big government. Nightmare, more like.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Define torture.
I can't believe you are bitching at other people to google things but you can't even come up with your own definitions.

1 a: anguish of body or mind : agony b: something that causes agony or pain
2: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure
Waterboarding may be a crapshoot, but that doesn't mean other methods that aren't tea parties and polite conversation don't work.
Yeah, and all of them are still inferior to "tea parties and polite conversation". Torturing doesn't work as well as other methods, end of story.

The Geneva Conventions? They don't apply to terrorists. No seriously, look the damn thing up. You need to be in uniform in the service of the nation. Otherwise you'd be arguing Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers are subject to the protections of Geneva.
They might not apply to the terrorists, but they certainly apply to the United States Armed Forces officials who are overseeing the torture of people in a prison. On top of that, the protections of the US Constitution extend to non-citizens under US law...especially those regarding trial by jury and cruel and unusual punishment.

As to big government taking over: Dictatorships exist, do they not?
Yes, and luckily we don't live in one. What is your point here?

What part of "caught on the battlefield" don't you understand jrrr? These people are not randomly picked off the street like a drug dealer. It is fruitless arguing with you if you do not concede this point. No one brought in for interrogation is innocent, they were caught in the act of an attack or plot. War is not a civil offense. Clinton tried calling the police as a response to terrorism, and it got him nothing. You cannot pretend your sworn enemy caught attempting to kill you is innocent before proven guilty, that will get you killed.
The ends don't justify the means. The information given through torture is not reliable enough to warrant trampling the Constitution.

And the battlefield is different than people locked in a cell, forced to stand up and stay awake for days on end.

Three people have been tortured. None of them were at Gitmo. None of them are inmates now. Your argument is irrelevant.
"This government does not torture"

The people who are attacking us now have been calling us The Great Satan since before Jimmy Carter came on the scene. These motherfuckers celebrated on 9/11 as 3000 people died. They. Celebrated. Anti-American sentiment? Please. They hate us no matter what we do, they are the new Nazis. Was Hitler any nicer after we conceded Poland to him? How about France? No? I wonder why. Probably because people think America is to blame for all the world's problems, and if only we were a little nicer and didn't completely outclass their culture, social mores, and individual liberty in every conceivable way they would like us more. Maybe because blaming vague "policies" for resulting violence is idiocy, especially foreign policy, the most vacuous and impossible to control policy of all.
Right, "these people" hate us. Let's go torture them and make sure that never changes!

My argument is merely that torture has not been done for kicks. It obviously had use as a deterrent in previous centuries. It may be considered ugly now, but being ugly and being useless are two different things.
Right, I'm sure every one of the 183 times that Khalid Muhammed was waterboarded was to save thousands of American lives. Not only is torture dangerous because it provides unreliable info, it is inferior to moral methods of interrogation

Links please for abusing his chilren.
Sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_Shaikh_Mohammed#Report_that_interrogators_abused_his_children

"The Pakistani guards told my son that the boys were kept in a separate area upstairs, and were denied food and water by other guards. They were also mentally tortured by having ants or other creatures put on their legs to scare them and get them to say where their father was hiding."
Torture works.
I would also like to see evidence that suggests that torture works better than moral methods of interrogation.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Your scenario involves weighing the life of someone who saves future lives vs the value of current lives. Torture is focused on weighing the comfort of a terrorist with hundreds of current lives.
Wait, now you ARENT concerned with "future lives"? hahaha sorry, i dont want to bring this thread down but I just find it funny that you say you are pro-life, until it comes time to take care of that life and treat it fairly.

Also, Deck, if you are so adamant that torture is acceptable, would you support our police forces being allowed to use it on non-terrorism detainees as well? After all, it is a safe, moral and reliable means of extracting information, right? Think of how many lives could be saved!

I will relish in interrogating you on why you chose to emulate GGFan. Reruns of Barney, Gigli, or Battlefield Earth? Pick your poison now.
I really don't know why I picked this name, I'll probably try to get it changed once I've accumulated more posts.

Off topic but goddamn before I knew Ron Hubbard was a Scientology he was one of my favorite science fiction author. I've never seen battlefield earth before, I don't like John Travolta though.

Anywho: I think that Deck Knight isn't so off base this time around. If a terrorist is caught who has been targeted for a while, they know that he's been involved in planning and carrying out acts of terrorism where innocent lives have been lost then I would support torture being used against him to extract valuable information.

Probably because people think America is to blame for all the world's problems, and if only we were a little nicer and didn't completely outclass their culture, social mores, and individual liberty in every conceivable way they would like us more.
Yea because Americans are god's fucking chosen people who have a perfect culture that outclasses everything different.

Maybe people think that America's to blame for the world's problems because sometimes people wake up to find their city bombed to shreds for no fucking reason, and as they try to piece together what the fuck happened they notice that the planes flying overhead have American colours on them. Maybe if American foreign policy wasn't related to fucking getting involved with other countries for no fucking reason, people wouldn't see the need to be anti-American.

You say that you hate these people because they celebrate the death of Americans, they say that they hate you because Americans celebrate the death of their kind.

Deck Knight

Yea because Americans are god's fucking chosen people who have a perfect culture that outclasses everything different.
Demonstrably Yes. We kick every other nation's ass in every conceivable way when it comes to liberty and freedom, at least when we aren't waning in a weaker, more liberal direction as we have been ever since H.W. Bush. That's why people from every nation are willing to violate our immigration laws to get in. They know that our shittiest shitholes are 10 times more prosperous than their average hovel. Unlike Britain we do not think banning specific people from our country is a blow against hatred rather than a blow for tyranny. Unlike France we don't have an entire nation afraid to respond to "youths" firebombing cars. Unlike the Middle East we do not treat women like chattel and stone people of the "wrong" religion. Unlike Africa we are not struggling under the thumb of a tribalistic madman. In America, we let dissenters who routinely trash out nation and speak nothing but ill of us, who vouch for our enemies, who otherwise undermine our nation in every legal manner go untouched, unsilenced, uncensored.

Maybe people think that America's to blame for the world's problems because sometimes people wake up to find their city bombed to shreds for no fucking reason, and as they try to piece together what the fuck happened they notice that the planes flying overhead have American colours on them.
Name one city we have bombed to shreds. Other than Hiroshima and Nagasaki of course, who attacked Pearl Harbor and annihilating them was the only way the kamikaze's would stop and the war would end without a land invasion that would have killed millions more. Furthermore, even when we do blow shit up, like say the entire continent of Europe, we always rebuild it.

Maybe if American foreign policy wasn't related to fucking getting involved with other countries for no fucking reason, people wouldn't see the need to be anti-American.
We're America. People go to us when shit goes down because we're the most powerful nation on earth. Whether you like us or hate us, you have an opinion of us, and if we leave the world to its own devices inevitably we will have to fix it.

You say that you hate these people because they celebrate the death of Americans, they say that they hate you because Americans celebrate the death of their kind.
Americans only celebrate the death of terrorists. They celebrated the death of 3000 American civilians, including police and firefighters trying to save others.

jrrr said:
Yeah, and all of them are still inferior to "tea parties and polite conversation". Torturing doesn't work as well as other methods, end of story.
What are these methods of which you speak jrrr. You claim they exist so you must know of at least one. Torture critics are quick to say there are better methods but slow to name any of them.

Wait, now you ARENT concerned with "future lives"? hahaha sorry, i dont want to bring this thread down but I just find it funny that you say you are pro-life, until it comes time to take care of that life and treat it fairly.
Fairly? Terrorists afford no one the fairness you want to grant to them. They would execute you in an instant jrrr just for being gay, and you rush to their defense? The comfort of a terrorist is extremely low on my list of things to protect. How you can compare an inherently innocent life to a guilty, dirty terrorist is beyond me. It is you who have it screwed up: You support choice in the matter of killing the innocent, but not of coercing the dangerous.

Also, Deck, if you are so adamant that torture is acceptable, would you support our police forces being allowed to use it on non-terrorism detainees as well? After all, it is a safe, moral and reliable means of extracting information, right? Think of how many lives could be saved!
Torture is an extreme measure for extreme situations. I have said repeatedly it should only be a last resort and you continue to ignore me.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
Name one city we have bombed to shreds. Other than Hiroshima and Nagasaki of course, who attacked Pearl Harbor and annihilating them was the only way the kamikaze's would stop and the war would end without a land invasion that would have killed millions more. Furthermore, even when we do blow shit up, like say the entire continent of Europe, we always rebuild it.
Rebuild this

I'm not really posting to participate in this argument, but I would like to throw something out there:

1) If you're going to argue a point as fact, then at least provide some kind of proof from a reliable source.

2) If you do provide a source, then it should probably be a little more reliable than Wikipedia. Seriously, while I love Wikipedia, I would love to see any of you use it as a citation for a paper you turned in for school.

For example, the link that jrrrrrrr provided as proof for the torture of Khalid's children was a link to Wikipedia. At first glance, it seems to be properly cited. However, if you actuallly go look at the citations, none of them actually point to anything. The AP citation is not linked correctly and neither is the Center for Constitutional rights citation.

I'm not trying to prove the validity of the point at all. It may be entirely possible that a quick Google search would return the proper citations for the Wikipedia article. I didn't feel like looking, since I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just simply saying that you should probably do a little more research if you expect to be taken seriously.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably should have thought "Is waterboarding actually torture?" before executing the Japanese for using it during WWII against American soldiers.

I noticed that we haven't adequately defined torture: I always thought of torture as having the following characteristics:
It causes pain to extract information.
Would you call turning off a kids tv to get them to tell you what happened at school today torture? You are causing pain to extract information.

I wouldn't call that torture. The person I talked to forwarded the following extra characteristic: torture must leave permanent or lasting damage.

Since we train our own Special ops (SERE, if I'm correct) to resist waterboarding by waterboarding them, then it doesn't cause permanent damage done correctly.

Where would you draw the line? Simply inflicting pain to gain information makes too many things torture, and you don't want to be arresting parents for turning off their kid's tvs.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sometimes torture is necessary. The torture of one guilty individual could save the lives of hundreds and thousands. I'm against the toture of suspects, but if one has been proven guilty and the only way to get him to speak is torture, and the information he gives will save innocent lives, then I don't have as much against it.

Torture should be tried to be used as minimally as possible, and hopefully as a last resort.

What part of "caught on the battlefield" don't you understand jrrr? These people are not randomly picked off the street like a drug dealer. It is fruitless arguing with you if you do not concede this point. No one brought in for interrogation is innocent, they were caught in the act of an attack or plot.
Absolutely sure about that?

NY Times said:
Several hours passed before an emergency room doctor finally saw Mr. Dilawar. By then he was dead, his body beginning to stiffen. It would be many months before Army investigators learned a final horrific detail: Most of the interrogators had believed Mr. Dilawar was an innocent man who simply drove his taxi past the American base at the wrong time.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/20/international/asia/20abuse.html

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Everybody seems to continually ignore the fact that once somebody who is not in uniform shoots at a uniformed soldier, that person no longer has any protection under international law.

Also, I don't think Deck Knight's fantasy is a big government. Nightmare, more like.
Is this actually true?

I cant imagine that it could be. They may not have rights under the geneva convention, but I am sure they must have some rights.

There must be some kind of case for self defense at least.

Also:
Article 2 said:

I mean, that to me doesnt allow for torturing of anyone regardless of their rights status.

Have a nice day.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love when sources for us torturing are cited where people are being prosecuted as a result of that. I also love some of the sources where the only verification is coming from a court affidavit of a known terrorist trying to save his own ass, clearly a reliable source.

It's also inaccurate to say water boarding never works. It may be overall less effective than other techniques, but water boarding has only been used in scenarios where the other techniques didn't work anyway and allegedly provided quality intel.

Anyway, I won't address everyones posts.

I can't say if I were President I wouldn't ever authorize it. The only reason I say that is because I know 2 people that have actually been Waterboarded (courtesy of our Special OPs survival training, I'm not friends with terrorists =p ). I've asked them about Waterboarding (I honestly couldn't image what it would be like). Given their descriptions, experiences, and thoughts on it I'd have to say I don't think I'd rule it out absolutely. I figure if 2 people whom its happened too can't describe it as unthinkable torture, maybe it's not? I would only consider applying it with executive approval in a "ticking-time bomb" scenario where we have clear intelligence and other techniques haven't worked. Based on my discussions with my friends, Water Boarding seems to be significantly borderline on torture so I can't say I'd rule it out in an obvious time bomb scenario where other techniques haven't worked. It should always be a last resort though and would require very careful though on my part with the proper intelligence at my disposal. Obviously we can't resort to barbarous torture; but I can't say Water Boarding necessarily qualifies as unthinkable torture.

@Hip: You can get around certain geneva convention articles by declaring they aren't technically POWs like the Bush administration did ("enemy combatants" instead).

edit: As a side note, maybe our congress should bring in retired Special OPs to discuss their experiences with Water Boarding since they would probably be able to more accurately give an image of it than our Congressman.

Torture is bad PERIOD. You can't call yourself the "good guy" and torture suspects (or anybody, for that matter) at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)