Tournament Help

Well there is going to be a tournament This Saturday at a game store near where I live and I'm going prepared, Now what I'm thinking is everyone there is going to be a noob an use ubers so I'm taking ubers the problem is they dont know how to use them and why is that a bad thing ? well...

When i went to get the Toys R Us Darkrai I saw your typical noob he asked me for a battle i asked him do you want to play by any clauses he responded just a regular match so we start the match and i see a Dialga, no worries i can take this noob soon to realize he had a team full of special sweepers and me with only Milotic as a special wall wich was easily taking down by Energy Ball Mewtwo. Who fucking uses a Rampardos with surf fucking surf is how i lost i killed most of his team and we ended up my Hippowdon against his Rampardos i knew i was going to win one earthquake and he faints and i figured i could take his earthquake stone edge which i knew he had but i get a fucking surf and loose.

So I was wondering whats the best way to handle this type of match will a regular uber team work ? maybe explode ,trick room ?

This a 6 vs. 6 singles, I'm assuming no rules since thats all the poster says.

thanks in advance for any help.

Personally, you should play with your own team and not change because some people are playing with ubers.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25479

Read this warstory, it's a classic david vs. goliath.

Also, you can always read the "Rate my team" forum. I'm sure you'll find an uber team and how to use it.
Thanks, but i dont think my current team can face up against ubers so after watching that warstory it just made me go for the trick room team even more.

It would be great if anyone who has gone to a tourny give some help from personal experience .

Given that this tourney is quite noobish...
A trick room team might work, and a ScarfChomp (Gasp) will probably outspeed and destroy most stuff.

Or just take a DDOutrage Rayquaza and slaughter all the Ubers as they wonder why you're so fast.

I went to the gamestop tourney and won with a team of badly EVd BLs and a T-Tar,and all I fought were ubers and hacks,but even still I won with a bunch of badly trained and IVd and movesetted pokemon

Yeah, there really is no reason to "worry" as a regular trained team should do fine in these types of tourney. If you can you might want to use Weavile and then just a DD Rayquaza or Rock Polish Groudon. Weavile will usually ohko a lot of the badly trainer pokemon (Rayquaza, Mewtwo, ect.) and Then your speedy Uber will just sweep the rest of the trainers.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Don't forget ScarfOgre, that destroyed a lot of gamestop tourneys.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Don't forget ScarfOgre, that destroyed a lot of gamestop tourneys.
Ah...memories

If you suspect that your opponents will be noobs then don't worry much about it. If you wish just EV train your Darkrai and Dark Void things to death. Your opponeny probably won't be switching a whole lot so you have a potential 6-0 with him. Of course, they'll probably call you cheap, but "deal with it"

DDRayquaza is a bit risky tbh unless you can snag a Roar of Time recharge or a Groudon without DClaw/Stone Edge.

Mhmm, Ev trained Pokemon should easily beat out "noob" players running lots of Ubers on their team. Still, some of these players have enough knowledge of EV's to attempt unspecific EV training, in which case they generally favor HP and defenses. When I played some people in a multibattle with my friend in Nintendo World, they had lots of hacked Pokemon, but no EV's. The person continually gave them HP ups, Zincs and Irons until they maxed out. My friend and I swept them easily, and they disconnected right in front of us. Anyway, sometimes those random EV's and movesets can show up at a critical stage. Once an a while, the opposing Pokemon will be a bit more hardy/unorthadox then normal. Make sure you assume everything is far from standard after you scout their skill. A simple question like "Do you EV train or IV breed" or asking if they used clauses is a great way to do that.

If you are sure that they are noobs, use Ninjask, with Protect, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, a Focus Sash to get a sure Swords Dance, and +2 Attack and +2 Speed, which you can pass to Breloom, and with Spore... the rest is known... because they don't use Sleep Talkers or Roar. I would try Spore, Focus Punch, Substitute and Stone Edge so you don't have problems with Shedinja.

I think the problem with playing with those non-competitive players who just takes part in tournaments for fun is that you don't know whether to out predict them.
Quite a few times when playing with my friends who don't do competitive battling, I have unecessarily lost quite a few of my pokemon due to overprediction. I'm a Jolteon with HpIce staring down a Garchomp, surely my friend would run knowing that I outspeed and 1HKO with HpIce. He doesn't, I Agility and gets killed by Earthquake. My friend's reason for staying in, 'Ground pawns Electric', not something like 'I had to take the chance that you would stat up blah blah blah'.

Ugh... I hate facing people like that...

You can't really outpredict them, they use anything they want to. I've seen Blissey's with Psychic take out fighter's who switched in, and heck, one of my friend's had dynamicpunch on ihs blissey, and his luck made it CONSISTENTLY hit my Snorlax... not fun.

Anyways, just go with something like ScarfOgre as a lead, decimate a few pokemon then just continue witht he rest of the team. A rain dance team would do extremely well, as people will wonder why you're swift swim pokemon keep outrunning their Salamence or whatever. You can also lol at them by using Shedinja. Heck, protect on it can help scout for retarded moves like fire punch on an Alazazam.. (I still lol at all those people who used to think Shadow Ball was good on Zam in ADV).

Spam Protect and Substitute. Scouting their bizarre movesets makes beating these kind of players much, much easier to beat.

Quick, speedy offensive teams tend to work better than all out stall teams in this regard; maintaining a solid offensive presence makes it hard for them to really do anything, especially as very few will EV train in speed or use Choice Scarves. Scarf Kyogre is a great choice and will win you large numbers of games on it's own. Scarf Rayquaza/Garchomp/Heracross are also great choices, being able to put massive holes in the types of offensive teams these sort of competition generally entail.

(I still lol at all those people who used to think Shadow Ball was good on Zam in ADV).
Like razo who "never had it" xD

I played my friends, and I found that Blissey running Softboiled, Ice Beam, Thunder-Wave and Counter works really well. I totally pwned his Fire Blast / Eruption / Solarbeam / Earthquake Groudon by giving him "advice" like "Blissey has crap for defense, use a physical move". xD

But if they're not so stupid, just defensive switching works really well. Or you could play their game and just bring a team of six choicers (except for Soul Dew over specs for Lati@s). CounterSash and CounterCoat work really well also.

You will need a well built uber team and just play conservative. They will end up doing idiot moves.

Or now that I think, play stall. Noobs don't know how to break stall, so an uber stall team can wreck them. For instance, try deoxys-L with:

recover taunt toxic night shade. You'll drive them crazy.

Or attempt a bulky set up, they won't know how to stop you. For instance, a calm mind lugia or kyogre will help a lot. Don't fear to be picked of by random moves like surf rampardos they will do idiot things more often than surprise you (not to mention that they don't exploit their movesets).

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like zerow... I mean, Spaniard said, stall teams work wonders. A well built, OU stall team will stall out even against uber teams many times. And if your opponent isn't competant, or doesn't have well trained pokemon, then even a decent stall team (provided you play well) will break them. A couple of other usful tips:

-Garchomp is just as good against new players as it is against competitave players
-Don't try to predict against a bad opponent. You said it yourself "Who the fuck uses a Surf Rampardos?" New players do.
-Focus Sash is pretty amazing in quick battles, espcially in tournaments like that
-Abuse the hell out of no sleep clause (if it's not put in place). Substitute / Hypnosis / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast Gengar is a bitch in normal play. No sleep clause is even better. Also, Hypnosis / Substitute Yanmega is killer with Speed Boost.

Hope this helps.

With no Sleep clause, pass a couple speed boosts and a Swords Dance from a Focus Sash Ninjask to Breloom with Spore. Breloom rapes with some speed boosts.

Thanks for all the output the only reason I'm stressing it so much is that the prize is a 100$ gift certificate for their store and i dont what to loose because of a stupid noob.
Thanks again guys (and girls if any) for all your help,Ithink I'll lead with Kyogre and just rape everything with a belly passing smeargle to Heracross or something along the lines of that.

Actually...I have a different thought...use Wobbuffet! xD

I could kind of see someone trying to switch to, say, Houndoom to use Crunch (lol) and wondering why they can't.

Wait...that could be bad. Maybe they'll Surf with their Rampardos as you Counter away hopelessly.

Maybe a Clamperl/Trapinch TR sweep?

i agree with the people that recommend ninjask+breelom, i mean if they are noobs as you said a baton chain team will destroy them, you will never see someone with roar or haze in their team, if they figure out your strategy because a divine revelation, they will be on the road back to home.

Don't oversimplify your team.
I can't stress this enough.

You need a team who will beat new players AND old players alike.
Trust me, you DO NOT want to get sent home because you underestimated your opponent's skill.

That being said... stall team.

I won it was pretty sad only 4 other kids went all younger than me. They all used Ubers they all were noobs everything got 1 or 2 hit ko'd with Kyogres water spout. Everyone thought it was hacked and demanded the employee to look at its stats wich obvioulsy where legit so i didnt feel guilty when i got my gift certificate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)