Trends in pokémon usage (shoddybattle trend grapher thread)

This is a topic that has always interested me, and today i quite randomly found out that shoddybattle.com provides an easy to use, n-pokémon usage grapher for every pokémon! Not only can you plot the usage of any mon you want, but you can, more interestingly compare usages between as many pokémon as you like!

This is basically an explicit representation of metagame trends, and is quite exciting if you know what to look for. You'll need to make assumptions based on basic binary microinstances in battles (or how pokemon face off against eachother in general). Obviously one can never truely express all the cause and effect variables involved, but there are some pretty nice relationships. Here's some examples:

Celebi Vs. Breloom
Celebi is as close to a paper counter for breloom as one can hope for; with dual stab resistance, natural cure, physical bulk and recover, there is really no chance of breaking any healthy celebi with any breloom set, no matter how specialized. Taking this into consideration i predicted that one's usage might be inversely proportional to Celebi's, and was surprised with this lovely dataset:

this not only displays a pretty explicit relationship, but also shows that there's always more at play than a simple binary feedback: note the low starting point for celebi (probably due to ttar/weavile/gengar's gen 4 boosts) and the high starting point for loom (who gained poison heal and grass stab). Also note the plunge in celebi's usage post plat (probably due to scizor)

Blissey Vs. Zapdos
Zapdos can literally do nothing to blissey exept possibly toxic stall it with the subroost set. Blissey on the other hand can status it and stoss/ib zappy to death. with this, one would predict a negative growth in zapdos' usage with a positive growth in blisseys usage... sure enough:

note that there is possibly some relationship here (slow decline in zapdos usage with a slow increase in blissey usage) but there's much more at play here and the relationship isn't anywhere near as "obvious" as the celebi-breloom one. Note also the incrase in zapdos usage with the addition of heat wave in Pt and the decrease in plissey usage with the prevalence of trick.

Abomasnow Vs. Walrein
This one seems obvious, esp with X-act's new "likely teammates" feature putting these guys at 90%(!) likely to be on a team together. KNowing this, we expect a correlated set of usage variations...

Ha, an almost one to one correlation. not much to say here, although hail teams on the whole seem to be stable on the official server, with a surprising slight increase post Pt, despite scizor's awesomeness!

Salamence Vs. Magnezone Vs. Bronzong
lastly we have a 3 dimensional analysis. the idea was that bronzong stops most salamences, and magnezone dispatches most bronzongs, as well as forming good defensive synergy with mence. with this in mind, one would predict a proportional relationship between mence and zone, with an inverse proportional relationship between zong and mence/zone. What we get is....

Evidence that predictions get trickier with three variables! It's been pretty tough for me to isolate anything besides binary "relationships". hopefully soemone else will have more success than me itt!

Celebi Vs. Heatran Vs. Infernape
The famous "CeleTran" combination is a great defensive core, but has difficulties with almost all infernape varieties, who's stabs OHKO both of them. With this in mind, we expect Celebi's usage to grow with Heatran's, and both to decrease with Infernape usage.

Here we have a nicer display of a predictable relationship between Bi and Tran, and a bit of a noisy signal form Nape, implying once again that it's tough to isolate a three way relationship.. if anything this data seems to imply that nape's usage has been moderated by celetrans growth which is obviously nonesense!

Obviously there are problems with assuming that one pokemon doing well against the other will result in a usage relationship every time. Gliscor and heracross for example display little effect on eachother over the months, and machamp and tyranitar seems frustratingly unrelated as well.

The only real downside is that it uses shoddy stats and not smogon server stats. it would be fucking awesome if we had own own simple trend grapher but in the meantime this one has plenty of interesting tidbits. We could even link usage increases with posted RMTs or pokemon centred threads (e.g. Rhyperior), but it's not like our programmers aren't already bogged down with work Ω__Ω. I'm confident that the usage trends would be even nicer with smogon data though!

so, discuss, and present your own analyses of trends!

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
this would be amazingly cool...if this used real stats. well, not so much real as accurate. official is pretty eh. still, pretty cool find gorm! oh and those stats are from august of 2008 lol

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I actually made the trend grapher back when Doug first started doing stats for Smogon, so it never really got much attention. I'm not exactly sure how Doug has saved the usage stats, but I'd be glad to help get it going for Smogon if people are interested.

As Bad Ass said, this would be much better if it used real stats. I assume that by 2008-07 it means July 08.. and that is far behind. It would be humourous for someone to use only those statistics and make a team that would have been amazing almost a year ago; only to be smashed up by Scizor or some other Platinum Move Tudor improvement.

That being said, charts and statistics are an excellent source of visual realizations. They can be used to find to identify trends easily and discover occurrences of history repeating itself. However, without up to date knowledge and the non-existence of very relevant information it is fairly useless.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
These stats cover pretty much all the time between when we started collecting stats and when the Smogon server was launched, since we stopped compiling the stats after that.

Also I'm aware that the stats are all posted each month, but hopefully Doug has them all saved in a database. That would make it much easier to create, and also allow the graphs to update seamlessly every month.

This looks very interesting, and I am curious about the information that can be found from it. You didn't provide a link, so I put this together with our own stats.

I was well aware that Scizor would get higher at a very fast rate. I expected Heatran to rise alongside it, being a top tier OU Pokemon that is able to force out Scizor most of the time. I then threw in Gyarados as it somewhat deals with both of them. I would expect them to all rise together, but i guess that's not the case. Scizor continues to rise as Gyarados and Heatran remain the same. I guess this could have something to do with the increased number of CB Scizors around. If all they do is U-turn, Gyarados and Heatran don't perform as strongly?

Of course, putting that together was quite tedious. I would very much like to see this with our stats.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow gorm, nice thread. I wish this thread could get 6 stars :(

I actually made the trend grapher back when Doug first started doing stats for Smogon, so it never really got much attention. I'm not exactly sure how Doug has saved the usage stats, but I'd be glad to help get it going for Smogon if people are interested.
I think I speak for everyone when I say "yes, please!!!!"

haha oh wow. i didn't realize how old this data was. either way mad props to bear for hopefully starting up a smogon-side trend grapher!

I was about to graph Metagross vs. Swampert vs. Heatran leads, as I think this could influence the lead metagame even more than the actual metagame. Unfortunately, the data is backed up several months and is from the Official server. I think that this will be a great tool for team building, once Smogonized. Thanks both for creating this thread, and for offering to update the trend tracker. Nice work, guys.

I'd like to see this too. This would be nice to have.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Each month, I put all the stats in a database on the server. I'd love to see this information used in new and different ways. I'll be happy to help bearzly get the data into his trend grapher. I think it would be a wonderful way to look at the usage data.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I did a trend grapher on Excel, way back when I wanted to find a prediction formula. It's actually very simple to do as long as you find a way to import the usage data into Excel (hint: copy + paste does the trick).

If people want, I'd make one for the general public. It would just need to be updated every month though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)