Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure what happens if you seed a Pokemon, and THEN turn them into Grass Type. If it cancels out your Leech Seed, then this set can become pretty counterproductive. If not, then it's still way too easy for your opponent to switch out and negate everything.
Also, like you've noted, you get stopped cold by Taunt.
Forest's Curse cancelling Leech Seed didn't even cross my mind.
Just levelled a Phantump to test it and can confirm that leech seed REMAINS on the opponent :)

I suppose going with Harvest and replacing Rest with Shadow Claw or something is an option though.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Forest's Curse cancelling Leech Seed didn't even cross my mind.
Just levelled a Phantump to test it and can confirm that leech seed REMAINS on the opponent :)

I suppose going with Harvest and replacing Rest with Shadow Claw or something is an option though.
Yeah, Forest's Curse won't cancel Leech Seed's effects, like how a Poison-type remains Poisoned after switching out of Soak.

Granted, Forest's Curse merely adds Grass typing to the opponent as opposed to outright changing their whole type (Trick-or-Treat works the same way). There should be no reason to even consider this move against opponents, but it could lead to interesting implications if used on teammates in Doubles (would probably still be gimmicky though).

Also, is Shadow Claw really worth it? I mean, it is STAB, but it doesn't hit a whole lot of Pokemon. Most of its targets, or simply opponents that resist Grass, heavily dislike Will-O-Wisp already, and Shadow Claw isn't going to turn the tides against the majority of them. Are the merits of another coverage move, like say Rock Slide, which can prevent dangerous Fire-types like Talonflame and Volcarona for coming in for free, worth using over Shadow Claw?

Been having fun with this set:

Trevenant Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Impish 252 HP 252 DEF
- Substitute
- Curse
- Will o Wisp
- Rest

Immune to status, instant full heal, disables physical attackers, and stalls and outclasses most stallers with curse.
This right here I think has to be one of the best/most annoying sets that I have come across, though there is also perhaps a bit of potential for Sp. Def as well, though flat out def still does work for it

It heals it off both Substiute and Curse inflicted damage with Rest to the point where it isn't even funny and becomes a real task to beat through. And its immunity to both Normal and Fighting type moves as well as Ground and Water resistance give it some good chances to switch in on quite a few Pokemon and start to setup. If you force a switch and get behind a Substitute, you start running for a home run and is bound to become mind bobbingly annoying to get around.

I chucked Shadow Claw on my Mega-Kangaskhan just for this stupid thing because it got walled so hard last time by it.

It's really good but it is also so ARGH!

I'm not sure how I feel about not having any direct attacks but anyway, thinking of running with:

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Forest's Curse
- Rest

It's for a Greninja/Trevenant/Heatran core, hits the opponent with burn and/or seed (depending on how many turns he can last against the opponent), then turn's them into a grass type to be destroyed by Ice Beam/Lava Plume, then Rest's and switches out.
Thoughts?
you're far better off just using protect over forest curse for free healing.

This is a set that I came up with that essentially does the same thing most stall sets do, but also has the potential to live a hit and OHKO Talonflame, or OHKO without even taking a hit as they may SD predicting the switch, which is usually what they did as most of my team could take the brave bird/Flare Blitz quite well. The only real Talonflame threat are banded ones or if Trevenant does not have full hp, but that is beside the point as this build still does very well at doing what it does with the option to surprise those very popular Talonflames with little to no compromise.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 84HP/252Def/172SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Runing these IVs/Nature you can take a max damage Bravebird/Flare Blitz from a Adamant Talonflame with 1 HP Left and could potentialy get a double Sitrus berry and then got for kill with Rock Slide, this is not advised with entry hazards as you will die even with Max HP investments. This is not the primary focus of this build it is just an option, and so far in my testing it has worked quite well as it is very hard to predict rock slide and they normally go for the SD predicting the switch. I have found Curse to not be too great, it has good Synergy with Sitrus Berry but Burn/Leechseed/Protect lets you stall a lot better specialy against a physical sweeper. Trevenant is to slow to utilize substitute properly, the only chance you have to use it really is when you predict the switch/setup, and you already have two good moves to use on switches, Wil-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, plus Substitute is terrible against Mega Kangaskhan, asuming they have the Crunch/Shadow Claw.

Aaanyway, I have trouble deciding what to pick for a team, Trevenant or Gourgiest. What do you guys think are threats that Trevenant can threaten/check/counter better than Gourgiest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevenant definitely has the better attacking stat and abilities to utilize, and reliable recovery too. I think the main thing Gourgeist has going for it is that it can learn Fire moves, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, I came up with a pretty niffty set.

Trevenant@Lum Berry
EV's: 252 HP/120 Atk/ 136 Spe
-Rest
-Wood Hammer
-Shadow Claw
-Will-O-Wisp

I'm still testing it, but I wanted a second opinion. I've had a few battles with it, and it does pretty well. Althought its not too good on switching into Starmie.

Hey I'm completely new to the competetive battling scene but after studying this thread I had an interesting idea for a potential build. Anybody willing to tell me if it works and, if so, how to do it best?

It's pretty offensive and probably not really OU or UU material, but I think it might have potential.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Harvester
Moves:
-Horn Leech/Wood Hammer
-Rest
-Rock Slide
-Power-Up Punch/WoW

With Sunny weather Rest could potentially be used to heal with the Lum Berry/Harvester waking him up foolproof, right?

Horn Leech/Wood Hammer with STAB and Trevenant's high ATK should deal decent neutral damage to most things while Rock Slide covers its weaknesses of Flying, Ice, and Fire nicely. Power-Up Punch would take care of Dark and could be used for an element of prediction as stated elsewhere in this thread, but with Rock Slide covering most weaknesses I think WoW would make a good alternative to rack up damage while healing with Rest or set-up for a switch if weather isn't good for Harvest.

Now, as I said, I'm pretty new to the battling scene so I apologize if this just simply isn't viable, but it seems decently solid (at least for lower tiers) to me.

My other problem is that I'm not brilliant about stat distribution. If it works, how would you want to lay out this build's stats/EVs?

Last edited:
I chucked Shadow Claw on my Mega-Kangaskhan just for this stupid thing because it got walled so hard last time by it.
You do realise Kang gets Crunch, right?

On a side note, I think Trevenant (and bulky grasses in general) have a decent niche this gen, at least so far, what with Rotom-W and Ttar being so gosh darn good checks to Talonflame. People don't seem to have things to deal with Trevenant at all, since it has legitimate ways to screw up near anything you try to throw at it (What can stop both WoW and Leech Seed?), and instantly be able to restore itself to factory settings with no repercussions. I'd actually be surprised if this doesn't make OU, and this is one of the few mons I'd be willing to say that for.

Anyway, Trevenant. This thing is a much better tank than I had expected, thanks to Harvest being such an amazing ability; Lum and Sitrus are both great options for it, and Leech Seed/WoW means it can soak up hits while racking up passive damage. That good attack stat tends to go to waste, since even when running Horn Leech the healing doesn't tend to be good enough to beat out Leech Seed barring the grass-weak mons. Might be a good user of SubFocus if you really wanted to run an attacking set, though, since Sitrus Berry takes care of all your healing needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like any of the Subseed sets at all. Maybe if we where in Gen 5 I would be all over it, but with Infiltrator and sound moves including Bugbuzz, Boomburst(Scrappy), etc. going through subs, it feels extremely gimmicky. I'm also not fond of Curse/Leech seed all in one set. As it feels like overkill, which is countered by a simple switch out(into Infiltrator/Taunt user or Volt/Turn combo). With that said I think this would make a more solid set.

Nature: Careful Item@Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry

Evs: HP:??? DEF:??? Sp.D:??? (was thinking of a set with max evs in both defenses. Until I test it I won't type a spread)

-Leech Seed/Curse (You want one or the other, otherwise a simple switch out can negate this)

-Protect (Just to solid to not run it)

-Rest/Substitute (Sitrus is probably better if you're not running rest, but leaves you open to Infiltrator when under a substitute)

-Will-o-Wisp/Shadow Claw/Phantom Force (Really ependent on what you wan to do with Trevnant this point. Will-o-Wisp will add damage per turn and burn teams, while shadow claw and Phantom force are solid options against Ferrothorn, Espeon, and Gourgeist.)

Still not sure how well rest lum berry with protect will do, but it seems solid in theory.

Last edited:
Some advise for people running the rest lum berry sets, chesto in most cases is the better berry to be running as rest will be curing you from the poison/burn/pera. You dont wanna find yourself stuck at low hp with harvest failing to recover your lum because it was consumed at a undesirable time, plus they can proceed to toxic/wow next turn again. Yes you run the risk of geting pera haxed while trying to rest but swiching into a ground/lightning pokemon predicting the twave is more desirable anyway. And having no lum and being stuck asleep is worse than geting para haxed anyways.

I would also like to add, if you are running resto chesto set curse is desirable over leech seed as you normaly have to give up having an atk move or W-o-W all together for rest, and grass types will wall you, notebly venusaur.

Last edited:
^ Chesto Rest is pretty damn amazing.

I've been playing around with:

Trevenant @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 176 SDef / 252 HP / 80 Def
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Shadow Claw / Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

I was using him originally with Substitute, and I've found that you're extremely susceptible to Taunt and Magic Bounce. I went with Shadow Claw over Horn Leech or Wood Hammer because better coverage, being only resisted by Dark.

I honestly don't think he really needs a Substitute, though then again, I wouldn't like to leave him out against a fire type.

Wouldn't natural cure be better since harvest only works 50% of the time outside of sun? That's not reliable at all and if you use the berry early and it doesn't reactivate you lose him

^ Chesto Rest is pretty damn amazing.

I've been playing around with:

Trevenant @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 176 SDef / 252 HP / 80 Def
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Shadow Claw / Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

I was using him originally with Substitute, and I've found that you're extremely susceptible to Taunt and Magic Bounce. I went with Shadow Claw over Horn Leech or Wood Hammer because better coverage, being only resisted by Dark.

I honestly don't think he really needs a Substitute, though then again, I wouldn't like to leave him out against a fire type.
I've been using a physically defensive version of this with some Speed and its near god tier against the vast majority of teams on the ladder. LumRest is really too good, it makes you not only the ultimate Rotom-W check, but able to burn a huge host of things (in a primarily physically oriented meta) and then suck up a weakened hit (even after the initial one) and recuperate fully. The only pokemon that want to switch into WoW/Leech Seed are Magic Bouncers, which is all of Espeon and Mega Absol- Espeon gets ripped a new one by Shadow Claw, and Absol needs to actually get in freely beforehand to Mega Evolve. Not to mention, even if they do bounce WoW back at you...LumHarvest cures it. Essentially for the most part you are absolutely free to spam status moves to your hearts content and nobody can do jack about it. Just give yourself a few Speed EVs to beat min Speed TTar so you can burn it before it crunches you...

Not even kidding, there have been a significant number of games so far where I've just kinda gone, oh, Trevenant beats their whole team by virtue of not allowing anything to come in on him without getting burnt.
Wouldn't natural cure be better since harvest only works 50% of the time outside of sun? That's not reliable at all and if you use the berry early and it doesn't reactivate you lose him
If it fails to regenerate initially it still can regenerate in later turns, the 50% chance is actually more than enough when you consider the amount of occasions when you need to rest 2 times in a row (hint- if you're playing him well, then never), and it can regenerate even if you switch out having lost it and you come back in.

As I said earlier, hes another one of those mons that get NaturalRest and yet has better options. LumHarvest is excellent.

Some advise for people running the rest lum berry sets, chesto in most cases is the better berry to be running as rest will be curing you from the poison/burn/pera. You dont wanna find yourself stuck at low hp with harvest failing to recover your lum because it was consumed at a undesirable time, plus they can proceed to toxic/wow next turn again. Yes you run the risk of geting pera haxed while trying to rest but swiching into a ground/lightning pokemon predicting the twave is more desirable anyway. And having no lum and being stuck asleep is worse than geting para haxed anyways.
Nah, you want Lum Berry. Being forced to Rest whenever you are status'd is really annoying, while Lum Berry just cures it. Notably, you will get status'd when you switch into say Rotom-W (who is one of the more notable things Trevenant beats), and wouldn't you rather be able to attack it / status it immediately instead of Resting? Most of the time, the Lum Berry will be back by the time you Rest, and even if it does not, it's not the end of the world. Trevenant is a neat counter to all the bulky Water-types that rely on Scald, but using Chesto Rest makes it worse at that objective, among other things.

Anyways, what do you guys think of Trevenant vs Gourgeist (Huge)? Personally I prefer Gourgeist, as it has 45 more base Defense over Trevenant. However, Trevenant has better recovery and a better offensive movepool over Gourgeist.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nah, you want Lum Berry. Being forced to Rest whenever you are status'd is really annoying, while Lum Berry just cures it. Notably, you will get status'd when you switch into say Rotom-W (who is one of the more notable things Trevenant beats), and wouldn't you rather be able to attack it / status it immediately instead of Resting? Most of the time, the Lum Berry will be back by the time you Rest, and even if it does not, it's not the end of the world. Trevenant is a neat counter to all the bulky Water-types that rely on Scald, but using Chesto Rest makes it worse at that objective, among other things.

Anyways, what do you guys think of Trevenant vs Gourgeist (Huge)? Personally I prefer Gourgeist, as it has 45 more base Defense over Trevenant. However, Trevenant has better recovery and a better offensive movepool over Gourgeist.
They are really different, even though they share the both typing. Trevenant is primarily used as a counter to bulky water-types, especially Rotom-W which is everywhere, while also acting as a soft check to special attackers in general. This means that it's used more on teams that prefer a fast pace, as it can't keep special attackers in check for long.

On the other hand, Gourgeist is better suited for defensive teams, as its excellent physical bulk allows it to counter Pokemon that are extremely hard to stop and have very few counters, such as Excadrill, Mega Kangaskhan, Choice Band Azumarill, and SD Mega Lucario, but struggles against bulky Water-types due to the lack of a way of healing status. Both Pokemon are very good imo, but Trevenant is a bit easier to use thanks to its status immunity and reliable recovery, and the metagame is a bit more suited to it than Gourgeist due to the fast pace of most games.

The Trevenant that I've been using to great success on the ladder has been

Trevenant@Leftovers
Ablitity: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
-Horn Leech
-Earthquake
-Will O Wisp
-Protect

It's basically a combination of a strong defensive wall and the attacking capabilities. The set can take status often but it's sad that it cannot stay in for too long for a Toxic or Burn, but I found that Leftovers + Protect + Will O Wisp is enough is stall most pokes into submission.

Also I don't need the reliance on the 50% Harvest chance or the Rest move to bring up my longevity. Less prediction as well. If you have any comments, feel free to question.

Lum berry has its uses, you don't need to be resting immediately after being inflicted by the status especialy against toxic as the first two ticks of dmg are laughable. Personally in my testing I have found sitrus to be far better than RestoChesto/Lum simply because sitrus is 100% passive while also freeing up a space for another move, and I have been able to stall even while burned, toxic is another story, but tbh you run protect in pretty much every set so you can scout for it if its not an immediate threat from say a toxic orb gliscor were you know they run toxic. I have tested many sets both lum chest and sitrus variants and have found these to be the best among the two.

This set has yet to fail me. Its an amazing mixed wall and always surprises people when they switch into there special attackers thinking they will be doing more dmg. More info on this set in post #183

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 84HP/252Def/172SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Problems this set has over Lum/Chesto
-Status (Can be resolved by using a poke with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, or you can simply predict/scout with protect and proceed to switch out)

Trevenant @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpD or 252HP/4Def/252SpD
Impish/Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse/Wil-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Shadow Claw/Horn Leech/Rock Slide/Wil-O-Wisp
- Protect/Curse/Leech Seed

Curse is a must in this set as you lack the sufficient stall dmg Burn/Leech gives you unless you choose to give up either your protect or atk.

Problems this set has over sitrus.
-Lack of Passive healing through sitrus.
-Need to use up a turn to heal. (Not the most reliable on a very slow pokemon with lack of natural bulk aside from its typing)
-Only 3 Moves to select from. (Rest is a requirement)
-Curse is incredibly risky and hard to set up as trevenant isn't the bulkiest of pokes. (again lack of sitrus makes this even harder 75%HP vs 50%HP after curse)
-Anything that can 2HKO will still 2HKO you, as resting is only delaying the inevitable.
-Is not viable as a mixed tank. (Through testing passive sitrus seems to make a huge difference)

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why the standard Trevanent is Careful (252 HP/ 140 SpD/ 116 Spe)? I've tried it but I've found Impish (252 HP/ 140 Def/ 116 Spe) to be more useful since it allows me to switch into Excadrill better (which is a large part of why I even use this guy).

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why the standard Trevanent is Careful (252 HP/ 140 SpD/ 116 Spe)? I've tried it but I've found Impish (252 HP/ 140 Def/ 116 Spe) to be more useful since it allows me to switch into Excadrill better (which is a large part of why I even use this guy).
Tbh I think Impish with Speed for ttar is best, so I really don't know what the motivation behind Careful is.

I believe the Careful is to be able to take any move from Starmie as a 3HKO while you 2HKO back with the grass type move. The speed EVs are there to outspeed certain things as you know.

It might be more convenient to swap it for defense to stop physical walls, but I found that the increase in SpD has saved me often against pokes such as Gengar, Greninja, and Rotom-W.

EDIT: Well maybe not Gengar unless you're above 70% HP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)