Trick trap trick room (an OU TR, Pyro style)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Facade is also a good move on Conk, because you can actually hit Gliscor reliably. Payback is a bit underwhelming. Also, the best coverage on Ramp is HS, EQ, Fire Punch, and Hammer Arm. But seriously. With HS you will use the other moves once in 20 matches.

Facade is also a good move on Conk, because you can actually hit Gliscor reliably. Payback is a bit underwhelming. Also, the best coverage on Ramp is HS, EQ, Fire Punch, and Hammer Arm. But seriously. With HS you will use the other moves once in 20 matches.

Thanks so much for that set!

I'm currently running headsmash, fire punch, earthquake, and outrage (kingdra counter)

Currently testing CB over LO.

Hi very, very nice TR team
It just seems to me that your use of Rampardos is unique and awesome.
One tiny little problem though, although you might find a way to solve it.
A Donphan can practically rip through your team with little ease imo, let me explain.

1. Don vs Bron
SR first turn, and while you TR any opponent with a thinking process like me will suspect Heatproof, or a switch. EQ is super effective and STAB, not to mention coming from a base 120 attack. Chances are that it might KO.
2. Don vs Ramp
Don is faster with TR in effect, plus with a 120 Def, it can take a hit or two from Ramp
3. Don vs Gallade
Don pretty much takes EVERY single hit from Gallade. Destiny Bond may surprise it though.
4. Don vs DERP
Even from a Guts boosted Conkeldurr, Donphan is bulky enough to take a hit or two. EQ and Ice Shard if at low HP
5. Don vs Reuniculus
Now this is a problem, Donphan is slower with TR up and it can't take special hits too well.
However, something like a Chansey/Blissey will be a nice team mate with Phan, so that's that I guess...
6. Don vs 'de Lure
Chandelure reminds me of a French chandellier for some odd reason
Anyways, with TR up Don is always faster. So it can hit with EQ or Assurance. Maybe Stone Edge if it has it.

So basically, Donphan is sorta threatening because:
1. It's faster than some of your pokes naturally, and also is faster than your other pokes with TR
2. It has great physical bulk, a problem to Bronzong(?), Ramp, Gallade, and Conkel
3. Three of your Pokes are weak to Earthquake, while two are weak to Assurance. Sure, Reuniculus can take a hit or two thanks to it's bulk, but then again the Pink Eggies are there.
Phan can also SR, Rapid Spin, Ice Shard, or Roar.
4. It's ability Sturdy makes it capable of an auto-Sash. Thus, in certain situations, Phan with full HP can survive special hits and strike back with the appropriate moves.

I believe you can take care of Donphan since you seem to be an advanced and competitive trainer. Not to mention that Donphans are scarce these days.
Hope you keep up the good work!

Its like you can read minds dude.

Donphans usually manage to KO at least 2 of my pokes before going down. If it was'nt for his lack of recovery he'd completely wall and kill off my entire team. Ferrothorn used to do the same, but I took on chandelure and Gallade just for him outside of TR.

As of right now, my only counter for him is too bring in Galade in TR (he has a base 35 speed with iron ball) and destiny bond his fat ass. Costs me a TR poke though, and if it wasn't for Conk's ability to work outside of TR, I'd have lost to every Donphan lead team I ever faced.

I'm looking for counters, but every poke with a lower base speed and access to powerful water attacks sucks in attack values. I was thinking of bringing in a slowbro and slashing Gallade. Still testing though.

Thanks for the Ramph comment, I my self was surprised to see such a high base attack on an NU poke.

I agree on the Rampharados thing. Avalanche has only only works on DD dragons so far. And pretty much every fighting type I've met so far has carried mach punch. Not sure on stone edge though, it has weaker base damage and is a bit redundant because conkledurr already has it.

So, I'm thinking, head smash, crunch (for lat@as and gengar) outrage for all other dragons, and EQ.

I'll look into the CB, didn't even know it boosted attacks more than LO. Thanks!

The reason I don't carry payback on Conk is that it hits absolutely nothing harder than stone edge. Conk runs mostly in TR, where he goes first every time. Plus guts boosted stone edge is an 1 hko on every ghost type, bar duskclops and gollet, and they can't harm me anyway. With drain punch, I can get enough recovery on the last turn of TR for hammer arm and mach punch in the next 2 turns. Paypack would help with Rueniclus, but only if they hit me firs,t and a STAB psychic woudl kill me anyway.

For Bronzong, explosion isn't really there to kill, but more for a quick access. With the normal gem, it still packs quite a punch, I've killed blissy's and infernapes with it before. I have general problems with steel leads, but I can always swap out to Chandelure after a TR to take the hit and start sweeping. And since he's a general suicide lead, no one ever gets to find out his heatproofing, allowing me to bluff a levitate.

I'll definably take a closer look at ramphy and Bronzong, it appears I need some work done on them...
First of all, there is absolutely NO reason in Bronzong using Normal Gem, even if it's a suicide lead. And if you're using him as a suicide lead, you're doing it wrong. Seriously, Bronzong's bulk is really appreciated by your team. You said that Blissey / Chansey is your problem. Gyro Ball will settle it, no problem. It doesn't make any sense in sacrificing such a good bulky Pokemon against something like Blissey and the likes of Infernape when your team can deal with them just fine? I know it's just for "quick access" but you don't just go in and kamikaze with Blissey and scoot off. With Bronzong's departure, you only have 2 TR users and I swear, 2 TR users for the whole match is not enough. Sorry if I sound mean but...yeah. Really, sorry.

And, Rampardos. Yeah. Head Smash just decimates everything out there. You hardly ever needs to use other moves lol.

Actually, I believe Rampardos has the highest base Atk in the whole game Pyro.
Oh and the Destiny Bond is sorta risky.
Although an Iron Ball is surprising on a Gallade as well as Destiny Bond, most players will suspect the common Swords Dance sweeper.
So Donphan users like me will possibly Roar on the DB and scout out your best attempt in finishing Phan.
So I suggest this!

Slowbro(F) @Lefties (funny it's a female Bro)
252HP/252 Def or 252HP/ 230 Def/ 24 SpDef
Bold, Regenerator/Own Tempo
-Scald
-Calm Mind/Thunder Wave
-Slack Off
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Psychic

Yup, CMBro. Slowbro is my favorite, that's right, favorite Pokemon of RBY.
It's unique because of it's ability to utilize FLAMETHROWER.
Yup, Flamethrower. One of the few Water types to have a move that can hit Ferrothorns hard.
Phys bulk and its Psychic typing makes it a perfect counter for Fighting types.
CM can boost your weak SpDef while qualifying Slowbro as a sweeper.
Regenerator is the preferred ability, although Own Tempo Slowbro used to ABSOLUTELY counter DynamicPunch Machamp in 4th gen. (Bro resists Fighting, takes 30 percent from a Max Atk Adamant Champ's Payback, and Own Tempo prevents confusion)
I must advise you, keep in Gallade as it surprises and revenge kills the enemy. Also if you replace Gallade with Bro, your team would be crippled having 3 of your Pokes weak to Dark. Zoroark can hurt you hard.
Thus, consider switching it with something else. But it's still kinda hard to choose what to switch it would. Switch it if you desperately need to, or otherwise make some minor set changes.

Tell me what you come up with, and let's both find a solution :DD

Really, now that I think of it. Gallade using Destiny Bond is a horrible choice. This is because, in any case you're still continuing that suicide Bronzong(even though it's really bad for your case), Destiny Bond will require you to sacrifice Gallade, meaning you're only left with one TR user. Seriously? 1 TR user? lol

Donphan's already been mentioned, and other bulky ground types can be just as troublesome with your lack of ground resists. There's a few others like Rhydon/Rhyperior and Hippowdon can even set up Swords Dances and Curses to sweep you rather than just relying on item boosts and supereffective stab.... But I don't need to go too much into that.

What I actually wanted to point out was the lack of water resists. Chandelure's Energy Ball is a mere 2HKO on bulky waters not 4x weak to it (even Azumarill at a mere 100/80/80 and max HP can take it without any hazard damage), making it easy for something like Nasty Plot Slowking to come in after a kill, obtain a boost and shred your team to bits. A grass-type could remedy this - depending on how comfortable you are using fast(ish) pokes under Trick Room, Celebi and Shaymin are good. Rotom-C or Tangrowth if you want something a little slower. Rotom-W might not be Grass-type, but it has the water resist and supereffective stab to hit them... all of the pokes mentioned can help with your ground type issues too.

Donphan's already been mentioned, and other bulky ground types can be just as troublesome with your lack of ground resists. There's a few others like Rhydon/Rhyperior and Hippowdon can even set up Swords Dances and Curses to sweep you rather than just relying on item boosts and supereffective stab.... But I don't need to go too much into that.

What I actually wanted to point out was the lack of water resists. Chandelure's Energy Ball is a mere 2HKO on bulky waters not 4x weak to it (even Azumarill at a mere 100/80/80 and max HP can take it without any hazard damage), making it easy for something like Nasty Plot Slowking to come in after a kill, obtain a boost and shred your team to bits. A grass-type could remedy this - depending on how comfortable you are using fast(ish) pokes under Trick Room, Celebi and Shaymin are good. Rotom-C or Tangrowth if you want something a little slower. Rotom-W might not be Grass-type, but it has the water resist and supereffective stab to hit them... all of the pokes mentioned can help with your ground type issues too.
Actually, Rhyperior isn't much of a problem because outside of Trick Room Chandelure OHKOs it with Energy Ball.
Now Hippowdon can be troublesome, but then again, it can't take special hits from Reuniculus and Uni won't be KO'd with a boosted EQ. (Thanks to it's bulk)
But yes a Ground/Water resistant wall is needed. You may want to go for Slowbro to hit Ground types hard while walling Waters. However, Rotom-W is VERY effective in not only countering both types, but Pokes that abuse moves with the above types.
For a defensive core, I suggest this Rotom-W

Rotom-W @Leftovers
Sassy (+SpDef -Spd), 252 HP/112 Def/144 SpDef/4 SpA
-Will-o-Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/HP Fire
-Rest/Pain Split

Bulky Rotom that covers your weaknesses, especially it's nice ability to check both physical and special attacking threats (bar Guts abusers)
You may want some more SpA EVs for a faster(lol?) and more effective attacker. Still, this Rotom works great even outside TR.
T-bolt over HP Fire because you already have some nice Ferrothorn counters..

You might want to consider Cresselia too. Although it doesn't resist Water, it has some gimmicks that could stall bulky ones out

Cresselia(F) @Leftovers
Sassy, Levitate
Max HP, Max Def, 4 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Rest/Moonlight

or
Cresselia(F) @Burn Orb
Sassy/Calm, Levitate
Max HP, 100 Def, 156 SpDef
-Psycho Shift
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Psychic
-Ice Beam

You could swap it with Reuniculus and utilize a CM Cress with the first set, or a cool double status inducing Cress on the second set.
Let me explain how Psycho Shift Cress works
1. Cress gets burned by Burn Orb
2. Psycho Shift passes Cress's status onto the opponent, thus the opponent gets burned
3. You can use Ice Beam or Rest expecting a switch
4. Sleep Talk (If you have it) and pass your Sleep status(!!) when you activate Psycho Shift.

I've used both Pokes, and they both work fine despite their average Speeds. PsychoShift Cress gives you a nifty condition whereas you can control status, switch into the appropriate poke (ex: Rampardos) and clean up the fields. (btw PS Cress is a custom set made by me :D just saying)

There are many other Pokemon you could use as defensive counters, but try and find the most effective ones.

I've been going over allot, and you guys have a point. So I bumped Gallade. 9 times out of 10 he died before he could destiny bond or TR thank to CC's defense drop, and in the end I was using him an emergency heatran check to allow chandelure to sweep.

And Tuant users still fuck me up good.
So, I took sometime and came up with Porygon2!

Gargantuan defenses coupled with recover and BoltBeam allow me to setup or stall out taunt users, and I can safely nail bulky slower ground types from behind my recover spam.

Now then concerning Bronzong.

I'm thinking of changing P2 to my lead with magic coat, and replacing SR and explosion with earthquake and Stone edge. Thoughts?

Charge
Really, now that I think of it. Gallade using Destiny Bond is a horrible choice. This is because, in any case you're still continuing that suicide Bronzong(even though it's really bad for your case), Destiny Bond will require you to sacrifice Gallade, meaning you're only left with one TR user. Seriously? 1 TR user? lol
Well, my original plans hinge around cycles. Tr, die, pull massive sweep for 2-3 turns, rinse and repeat. Thats why all of my sweepers have such high attack values and subpar everything else. In return, they require no setting up. However, you are right in that when I find my self short on TR users, I'm pretty much screwed. So I took Porygon2.

Yup, CMBro. Slowbro is my favorite, that's right, favorite Pokemon of RBY.
It's unique because of it's ability to utilize FLAMETHROWER.
Yup, Flamethrower. One of the few Water types to have a move that can hit Ferrothorns hard.
Phys bulk and its Psychic typing makes it a perfect counter for Fighting types.
CM can boost your weak SpDef while qualifying Slowbro as a sweeper.
Regenerator is the preferred ability, although Own Tempo Slowbro used to ABSOLUTELY counter DynamicPunch Machamp in 4th gen. (Bro resists Fighting, takes 30 percent from a Max Atk Adamant Champ's Payback, and Own Tempo prevents confusion)
I must advise you, keep in Gallade as it surprises and revenge kills the enemy. Also if you replace Gallade with Bro, your team would be crippled having 3 of your Pokes weak to Dark. Zoroark can hurt you hard.
Thus, consider switching it with something else. But it's still kinda hard to choose what to switch it would. Switch it if you desperately need to, or otherwise make some minor set changes.
I was looking into slowbro, but the problem is he introduces another ghost/darkness weakness. Then I saw P2 learns all of Slobro's moveset, has better bulk, and synergies better with chandelure. Thanks though. you're move sets gave me the idea!

First of all, there is absolutely NO reason in Bronzong using Normal Gem, even if it's a suicide lead. And if you're using him as a suicide lead, you're doing it wrong. Seriously, Bronzong's bulk is really appreciated by your team. You said that Blissey / Chansey is your problem. Gyro Ball will settle it, no problem. It doesn't make any sense in sacrificing such a good bulky Pokemon against something like Blissey and the likes of Infernape when your team can deal with them just fine? I know it's just for "quick access" but you don't just go in and kamikaze with Blissey and scoot off. With Bronzong's departure, you only have 2 TR users and I swear, 2 TR users for the whole match is not enough. Sorry if I sound mean but...yeah. Really, sorry.

And, Rampardos. Yeah. Head Smash just decimates everything out there. You hardly ever needs to use other moves lol.
Bronzong may have been bulky before, but hyper offense is the name of the game now and he can only take 2-3 hits on average. His lack of instant recovery hurts like a bitch too. With his current moveset, I'm able to take something like an overheat ninetails or CC terrakion, TR, SR, and then gyroball if they don't resist it and are relatively fast. Then I can explode on the next poke on, expecting to wall and set up on me, bring in my next sweeper. Things like infernape and chansey are'nt even a problem anymore, but its nice to have 1 less poke to worry about, and all it costs me is an already crippled wall. Generally, once SR is setup Bronzong is useless anyway.

As for Ramphy, I experimented with a few builds, including Sheer Force to negate the life Orb damage. Did'nt work out. Then I tried a choice band, and got nailed by a roosting rocky helmet Skarmory. Kept resisting Headsmash thanks to roost I got my self nailed by rocky helmet/recoil in 3 turns. Could'nt swap out either because of spikes/whirlwind.
I have swappedin Lifeorb for a choice band after a Skarmory walled me in and killed me with my own LO recoil due to roost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)