Triple Battle Metagame (GBU)

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thats why you run imprison chandelure/mushurnaa and lol at their puny attempts to trickroom. It works really well since I can set up trick room on tail wind teams and imprison the protect + trickroom. Weather spam cant even work now because of certain jellyfish o.0 and lickitung's ability can be annoying (will i scarf spout you (and outspeed your excadil beacuse im scarf and you no sand or trickroom and lol, oh yeah cant surf or fake out this!). I've used anti-trickroom to a near divine set of fun though trolling things... and stuff.

And also, God I ****ing hate Trick Room. not because my team can't beat it, but because It comes up SO MUCH. since I've started playing triples the other day, I've faced like 30 Trick Roomers. It Pisses me off that people tend to be too lazy to think of fancy strategies. I have a Dusclops on my team I've had since 3rd gen, and basically, it spams Calm Mind, then mimics my partners healing move(recover, Moonlight, etc..) for instant healing. Not a very offensive combo, but still.
In my experience, the only thing that stays alive for a long time in triples battles is blissey and thats because of minimize D:. Never thought of giving dusclops healing but considering it can be double attacked in one turn... it makes you wonder if the 50% health is really worth it? And you have to take the time to mimic too... meaning mushurnaa is already not liking staying in the middle.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jellicent doesn't stop rain at all. Ludicolo is on just about every rain team, and it eats Jellicent alive.

However, I do agree with the excellent utility of Imprison Chandelure and Musharna, they're great checks to Trick Room and faster teams.

EDIT: Lickilicky's ability doesn't negate Trick Room lol

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
If its a tr variant it can live the giga drain and trickroom (take that swift swim!). Not like politoeds injuring the toad anyway with surf/icebeam/focus miss? I suspect the thing in the middle might get faked out?

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Most Politoed use HP Grass or Electric over Focus Blast, actually (Focus Blast isn't useful at all except to hit Ferrothorn lol), which KOes Jellicent along with Ludicolo's Absorb Bulb or Life Orb-boosted Giga Drain. In addition, some Politoed use Iron Ball to underspeed other weather inducers, which means Jellicent may even be helping it by setting up Trick Room.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
Iron ball politoed sounds fun :D, seeing more focus miss toads i guess for ttar, considering how hard it is too actually get hp grass politoed with drizzle in GBU. Still if a fake outer like hariyama is on the field the other team is forced to take down hariyama then destroy jellicent due to the presence of fake out. Then again this is changed if the third pokemon on the other side of the field is a fake out user (like toxicroak). Triples has loads of applications

Also
EDIT: Lickilicky's ability doesn't negate Trick Room lol
. I was referring to the scarf variant being able to hit Excadril before it moved <.<.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Alternatively, since Mental Herb is so rare, you could just slap Taunt on something and call it a day in terms of stopping Jellicent, at least enough so that you can spam Water-type attacks and do huge damage to the rest of the team while Jellicent does very little damage in return.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
...Has anyone else used Musharna and Cresselia and 4 spread move users and just spammed HH + EQ / Surf? Sorry, I just had to ask, especially because triples is very 'unexplored' at the moment. It's a really lazy way of approaching triples (heehee), but it actually works really well. Musharna can reverse TR against speed based teams and take out most Wide Guard users.

Fake Out is incredibly different in triples. In double battles, about 90% of the time you could predict which poke Hitmontop was going to target. However, now that there are 3 possible targets, trying to predict the Fake Out kind of hinders your momentum. Also, the Fake Out user is open to 2 other possible attackers.

loving triple battles so much

Yeah, triple battles do seem very interesting. If I wasn't bogged down with work I'd have jumped on it already. It seems really neat, like a hyperbolized version of Doubles where strategy is even more key.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've come here to ask about the ethics of putting several pokés to sleep at the same time on random triples wi-fi. Should we limit ourselves to one or two? Or should we go for as many as we possibly can?

I've come here to ask about the ethics of putting several pokés to sleep at the same time on random triples wi-fi. Should we limit ourselves to one or two? Or should we go for as many as we possibly can?
Personally, I frown upon Dark Void Smeargle, but otherwise, it's a free-for-all (imo).

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I frown upon Dark Void Smeargle, but otherwise, it's a free-for-all (imo).
I forgot about the existence of Dark Void, haha. I hate that move as well.

This is my opinion:

THEY NEED TO BAN DARK VOID IN GBU TRIPLES SO UNFAIR EVEN IF YOU PREDICT IT YOU CAN'T STOP IT WITHOUT DEDICATING SOMETHING TO STOPPING IT AUUUUUUUGHHHH WHY BAN IT LIKE YOU DID IN VGC C'MON IT'S SO MUCH EASIER
/rant

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Rules said:
- You may not discuss the banning of any Pokemon, items, moves, and abilities here (in other words, no suspect test discussion). This should be fairly obvious, because the rules are preset and determined by Nintendo!
Discussion on "ethics" is similar, since "ethics" is what necessitates a ban. Further posts on the subject of ethics or banning are not competitive and may be deleted.

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
I was merely asking because I tend to like not looking like a douche by putting more than two pokés to sleep using Amoongus's Spore. But if it's in the rules, I'll abstain from asking about it.

Since the Autumn Friendly, I've put a bit of thought into doing Triples.
Last night I basically just used my tournament team, but it was actually quite fun to use in Triple battles. Didn't take long to gain 100 points... I like that all six Pokémon are used too.

I thought about Trick Room / a Follow Me or Rage Powder users / and Shuckle using Power Trick, but I don't know how successful that would be in reality.

Also Round could be intersting... all three using Round is Base Power 60, then 120, then 240... which isn't including any STAB... could be interesting too.

Overall though, I have no experience in Triples and am just trying to find the most common strategies, etc. I guess weather will be a big one... last night I came across someone with a 1800 rating twice and his rain team. He 4-0'ed me, and then I 3-0'ed him (thanks to his Draco Meteor missing, but then my Reuniclus was frozen first turn by Politoed's Ice Beam...)

Dark Void Smeargle is annoying though.

Is it just me, or is Perish Song like super common in Triples?
Perish Song is nothing less than outstanding in Triples. Even if the battle ends up as 0-0 due to Perish Song, all you need is the slowest Pokemon on the field to be one of your's, and you "win".

Jigglypuff and Lapras can be great Pokes to set up Perish Song and (probably) be slow enough to "win" in the case of 0-0 finals.

Yeah, I know it's a double post, but it's been something like a month and a half...

Why do I not see more Rotom-Fan in Triples? It's a beast (but only in Triples).

Wow the Triples Meta Game really has to be explored more.

One thing I observed in Triples is that its more leaning on the offensive side than anything else. I would really be interested in seeing a viable stall team.

I found this Gliscor Set to be pretty useful actually

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 104 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Tailwind

This provides a great Pivotal Defensive Pokemon best used on the Corners. Fling is great in spreading some status condition around and getting rid of a Pokemon that really gives you trouble. After that Gliscor gets the Awesome STAB Acrobatics, which has a niche in triples- it lets you be able to hit any pokemon. Earthquake is a strong Stab and lets it hit more pokemon. Tailwind is great in supporting team mates and can make slow hard hitters be used to their full potential. You also could replace Tailwind with some other moves like Sword Dance, protect,Fire Fang, or thief (to go along with fling).

Trick room Triple - Water absorb
Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Water Spout
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Amoonguss (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Lapras (F) @ Ice Gem
- Surf
- Ice Shard
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastrodon (M) @ Rindo Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Slowbro (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Surf
- Slack Off

Poliwrath (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Start with Jellicent as the trick room user, Amoongus in the middle for Rage spore, and usually lapras on the other side.
As you substitute, try to keep non water absorb or storm drain pokes on outside so can heal water absor pokes with surf.
Jellicents water spout does not heal water absorb team mates, but can be effective when at full health. If able to boost up water absorb gastrodan can be effective. If amoongus survives first turn, use spore for sleep clause one sleep.

We need to get this thread shaped up. Let's start by listing, in bold, all existing archetypes for OU Triples - starting with the VGC archetpes from 2011:

1. Justified/Beatup/Tailwind - Key: Whimsicott/Terrakion/"fake out 3rd lead"
2. Tick Room - Key: Trick Room, low speed pokemon.
3. "Good Stuff" - Key: Rockslide/Earthquake/coverage move, Tailwind. Examples: Landorus, Thunderus, etc.
4. Weather
a.) Drought/Sun - Key: Ninetails (Drought)/Whimsicott (Tailwind), Typhlosion (Erruption)
b.) Rain - Key: Politoad (Drizzle), Water Absorb/Storm Drain Users.
c.) Sandstorm - Key: Sandstream

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)