Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
MegaGengar, I factored in the increased defense.
If that's the case, Ttar can't switch in on it. Only when something dies Ttar can come in so assuming Ttar is full health, it'll have 2 turns to KO MegaGengar. Which leads us with:
4 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 270-318 (103.44 - 121.83%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 224-264 (85.82 - 101.14%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 168-198 (64.36 - 75.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 134-162 (51.34 - 62.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock Not switching

So you either force it out or cripple it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but has it been confirmed that TTar can't use Stealth Rocks while holding an Assault Vest? I thought AV only limited status condition moves.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but has it been confirmed that TTar can't use Stealth Rocks while holding an Assault Vest? I thought AV only limited status condition moves.
It limits status moves. "Status" is the third category of moves, alongside physical and special. Any moves that are not physical or special are included in the status category (they have that gray symbol, if that helps).

I personally think that Tyranitar is better off this gen than he was in BW, but, of course, we have yet to see the new meta rear its ugly head. It appears that it's got considerably more options than before, what with the introduction of its Mega forme and the item Assault Jacket. It can now go fully special defensive and be a powerful sand-inducing tank, or perhaps still go the CB/CS route. Its Mega forme brings another option, as it now has elevated physical defense and offense, in exchange for the very important loss of an item.

Overall, despite how excited I am for Ttar's debut in the new meta, I think that he simply won't see much use until the Megas have been tiered and figured out. His Mega (and almost all Megas) are a gamble, due to their loss of an item. His normal forme may be seen now and again thanks to Assault Jacket, but until the smoke clears, I think we won't be seeing much of the tyrant :(

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, Tyranitar is generally used as either an offensive Pokemon or as a Special tank. The extra physical bulk is great, but normal Tyranitar is still much bulkier than Mega Tyranitar because of the new item Assualt Vest. 100 / 150 Physical defense does sound great on paper, but it still can't take the most common physical hits like Close Combat, Earthquake, and U-turn. Also, Mega Tyranitar faces competition from other Mega Evo Pokemon, meaning it's going to see little to no usage.
While I do agree that Mega Tyranitar will not be the most popular evolution, and that normal Tyranitar will be giving it a lot of competition-- I disagree that Mega Tyranitar won't see use. You know that in actual practice, given time, people will try pretty much everything-- and something that has a much potential use as this Pokemon's (ridiculous) stats will definitely be given a try by top players. Mega TTar will see play; how much play, we can't be sure-- but it will definitely see play.

Anyway, Tyranitar is going to be beast. Being able to destroy several of the metagame's Steel types now will be incredible-- and while he does have a new counter in Azumarril (lol), overall, I'd say Fairy will be a boon for TTar just because it makes Fighting types even easier to handle.

Honestly-- TTar's biggest weakness was the fact that running it would make you vulnerable to being revenged or swept by Fighting types-- you might be able to pursuit that Lati to death, but then they could bring in Terrakion or Conkeldurr and maybe set up to sweep your whole team. Hopefully Azum, Togekiss (or ideally, some of the old legendaries like Mesprit or Celebi will be made fairies) will make this threat much easier to control.

Last edited:
Plus, what people forget is that while Mega Tyranitar has less power than normal Tyranitar with a Life Orb (...not like it ever uses that, but you know) and less special bulk than Assault Vest, I can see it succeeding for two reasons:

1: It is comparable to both. As an all-around pokemon, it's good.

2: AV Tyranitar can't use the large support movepool. Mega Tyranitar CAN.

If that's the case, Ttar can't switch in on it. Only when something dies Ttar can come in so assuming Ttar is full health, it'll have 2 turns to KO MegaGengar. Which leads us with:
If it's the first time mega gengar is sent out, it wont be Mega on the first turn until after you switch

TTar has more than a couple of things going for it, notably:

Fighting types nerfed--not only are fairies a thing but you also have Aegislash (probably one of the best fighting checks/counters ever) who doesn't mind sand along with being the end-all be-all of scizor counters (cannot touch it if it doesn't carry night slash, not to mention King's Shield...)

Sticky Web--while no one is 100% sure how good this will be (we have not seen any good user of it so far), it helps TTar out a lot by slowing things down and allowing it to bash them. Take Starmie for example, after the Web TTar outspeeds it and destroys it with a crunch or pursuit.

Florges--Pardon my over-hyping, but I think this thing might be a premier defensive partner for TTar. It easily comes in on fighting types (with Aegislash handling the scizor they both hate) and can spread status (I know it gets toxic but does it get TWave?) or pass wishes (something AVTar appreciates). Its also resistant to Pursuit (making it that much harder to get rid of) and has access to Aromatherapy/Misty Terrain. In short its an effective cleric (that hits hard with Moonblast or Energy Ball coming off of base 112 SAtk). EDIT: Just found out it doesn't get TWave, but that doesn't make it bad.

Last edited:
Assault vest will only be worth it vs very higher powered attacks, otherwise Lefties is greater than the difference of the boost.

Assault vest will only be worth it vs very higher powered attacks, otherwise Lefties is greater than the difference of the boost.
Didn't say it was worth it, but just mentioning it could be a thing. I mean, you can bluff a Band or Scarf with it to say the least.

Kind of a worthless comment, but I love how MegaTTars pose pretty much says "Come At Me Bro" right before the description of the buffs he got.

Is there any merit to using MegaTTar as a boosting sweeper? The OP lists a boosting set but it hasn't really been discussed. The extra speed and defense that MegaTar has seems like it would benefit this set alot, outspeeding more threats and being able to take priority from the likes of Scizor and Azumarill better. It seems like a role where the Mega form clearly outdoes regular Tyranitar.

Is there any merit to using MegaTTar as a boosting sweeper? The OP lists a boosting set but it hasn't really been discussed. The extra speed and defense that MegaTar has seems like it would benefit this set alot, outspeeding more threats and being able to take priority from the likes of Scizor and Azumarill better. It seems like a role where the Mega form clearly outdoes regular Tyranitar.
As someone who actually used DDTar (back in my noob days), I can tell you he's pretty decent. However, this might sound strange, but DDtar shows more effectiveness in Ubers than in OU, mainly because
1) Scizor and Breloom are almost non-existent
2) the meta in general is a lot slower, so Ttar's speed issue is easy to fix with some paralysis support

And with the release of MegaTar, I'm looking forward to trying out the set again.

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but one thing I am curious about: has anyone tried to breed Stealth Rock AND Pursuit via Cranidos onto Ttar this gen? I'm assuming this is possible since Cranidos got SR via TM in gen 4 and via Move Tutor in gen 5, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Reason being is I can see MegaTtar running sort of a mixed attacking set with SR/Pursuit/filler/filler. It'd be nice if Mega Ttar could take a Bullet Punch from CB Scizor with that Defense increase, meaning that it may not have to run defensive EVs like last gen(I never liked that set). I don't have access to a calc atm, though. Anyone care to check and see?

EDIT: Breeding SR + Pursuit has been answered for me. Female 'mons passing moves is a great thing :D.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but one thing I am curious about: has anyone tried to breed Stealth Rock AND Pursuit via Cranidos onto Ttar this gen? I'm assuming this is possible since Cranidos got SR via TM in gen 4 and via Move Tutor in gen 5, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Reason being is I can see MegaTtar running sort of a mixed attacking set with SR/Pursuit/filler/filler. It'd be nice if Mega Ttar could take a Bullet Punch from CB Scizor with that Defense increase, meaning that it may not have to run defensive EVs like last gen(I never liked that set). I don't have access to a calc atm, though. Anyone care to check and see?
252+ CB Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 231-271 (67.8%-79.8%)

What nature should I get for AV Tyranitar? Should I get Careful to boost SpDef, or go Adamant so I could do more damage?

It depends on what exactly you want TTar to counter/check. Take a look at the calcs for AV in the OP, they all use 252 SpDef with a Careful nature.

I have been running a Choice Scarf Adamant T-Tar, with EV's in Attack HP and some in speed. He seems to outspeed a lot of threats, and hits hard to boot. I Prefer the Choice Scarf set more then most, but I may try choice band soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)