Not open for further replies.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approvals [] [] []
GP Approvals [] []
Overview
########
Tyrantrum, has great Attack and Defense stats, which allows it to punch holes while also taking hits itself. It has access to two great offensive STABs, and has an ability, Strong Jaw, that essentially grants it STAB on a the elemental fangs. It also has access to the strongest Rock-type move in the game, Head Smash, that it can further power up with Dragon Dance. Tyrantrum proves to be a versitile and powerful threat in the UU metagame with its immense offensive presence and wallbreaking capabilities.

All of this said, this dino went extinct for a reason. The rest of its stats are mediocre at best and it's weak to common types in the UU metagame, such as Fighting.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Head Smash / Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Fang / Fire Fang
move 4: Crunch / Earthquake
ability: Strong Jaw
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Dragon Dance gives Tyrantrum a much needed boost to its speed and, powers up Ice Fang and Earthquake, and boosts Head Smash to ridiculous levels. At +1, Tyrantrum can outspeed all of the unboosted tier bar Mega Aerodactyl. Head Smash turns into a 225 BP attack after applying STAB, but has a severe 50% recoil. It can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier at +1 bar Mega Aggron. Stone Edge is a safer alternative with a lower BP and no recoil, though Tyrantrum misses out on many OHKOs, even at +1. Ice Fang is used for coverage and getting in KOs on Flygon, Hippo, and gligar. It hits Grass-types that resist EQ and Ground-types. Fire Fang also hits Grass-types along side hitting Bronzong and Steel-types that are neutral to EQ. Crunch hits Metagross and Jirachi, alonside Mew, Slowbro, and other Psychic-types. Earthquake and Stone Edge / Head Smash give Tyrantrum almost perfect coverage. Earthquake can deal with Steel-types that take minimal damage from Ice Fang and Head Smash / Stone Edge.

Set Details
========
The Attack EVs are to make Tyrantrum hit as hard as it can without an Adamant nature. The speed EVs give Tyrantrum the much needed Speed. 4 Defense EVs add a small amount to Tyrantrum's bulk without making its HP divisible by 2 and thus reducing its Head Smash recoil by 1 point. A Jolly nature is recommended in order to outspeed a majority of the unboosted tier. An Adamant can be used to give more power. Life Orb Gives Tyrantrum enough power to make up for Adamant and can get in more KOs. Lum Berry can be used so Tyrantrum can set up confidently in the face of status inducers.

Usage Tips
========

Try to prevent hazards from going down because they can rack up damage alongside Head Smash recoil fairly easily. Try to switch into a physical Fire-type attack and set up on the switch, though Tyrantrum can also set up on weaker physical attackers and walls. Tyrantrum does well with late-game sweeping as it has almost unresisted coverage in this set. If Tyrantrum is on low HP, almost always go for Head Smash, even if it is resisted by the opponent because it tends to do more than the other moves. Dragon Dance should almost always be the first move because Tyrantrum just doesn't have the raw power to do much without it.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are weak to fire-types make for great partners as they can bait fire-type attacks that Tyrantrum can switch into and set up on. Pokemon that can set up entry Hazards make Tyrantrum's life a little easier as it doesn't have to suicide with Head Smash and can resort to other moves that will also KO after entry hazard damage. Forretress works well, and can also bait fire-type attacks for Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave support or Will-O-Wisp support can help Tyrantrum's speed and defense respectively and sweeping capabilities. Tailwind support can also be a boon to Tyrantrum because it can bolster its low speed without Dragon Dance.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Ice Fang / Fire Fang
move 4: Earthquake
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Stone Edge is used for a reliable Rock-type STAB move. Ice Fang is used for coverage and getting in KOs Flygon, Gligar, and Hippowdon, among others. Fire Fang also hits Grass-types along side hitting Bronzong and Steel-types that are neutral to EQ. Earthquake and Stone Edge give Tyrantrum almost perfect coverage. Earthquake can deal with Steel-types that take minimal damage from Ice Fang and Stone Edge. Crunch is to deal with Mew and other Psychic-types.

Set Details
========

The Attack EVs are to make Tyrantrum hit as hard as it can. The speed EVs give Tyrantrum the much needed speed to outpace base 70s. Choice Band turns Tyrantrum from a late-game cleaner into a wallbreaker.

Usage Tips
========

Try to get Tyrantrum in on an anticipated Fire-type move from the likes of Darmanitan or another Physical Fire-type, though it can also come in on frail entry hazard setters. Try punching holes early game because Tyrantrum usually isn't fast enough to take Pokemon down Late-game. you should also bring it in early game so it can maximize its wallbreaking capabilities.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are weak to fire-types make for great partners as they can bait fire-type attacks that Tyrantrum can switch into and set up on. Pokemon that can set up entry Hazards make Tyrantrum's life a little easier as it doesn't have to suicide with Head Smash and can resort to other moves that will also KO after entry hazard damage. Forretress works well, and can also bait fire-type attacks for Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave support or Will-O-Wisp support can help Tyrantrum's speed and defense respectively and sweeping capabilities. Tailwind support can also be a boon to Tyrantrum because it can bolster its low speed without Dragon Dance.

Other Options
########
Tyrantrum can opt for a Dragon STAB, such as Dragon Claw, but it is generally outclassed by Ice Fang due to coverage. Tyrantrum can effectively run a defensive Stealth Rock set in the sand, but is usually outclassed by Hippowdon. Crunch is a viable move that becomes a Base 120 attack after Strong Jaw, but does not provide anymore coverage than the set above, though it can hit Bronzong hard. Thunder Fang hits Bulky Waters, but it's not like you're going to stay in on them anyway. Rock Polish can be used as another boosting move, though the Attack boost from Dragon Dance usually outclasses it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Revenge Killers**: Anything faster that can hit Tyrantrum super effectively, especially Special Attackers, can get rid of Tyrantrum.

**Levitating / Air Balloon Steel-Types**: They resist all of Tyrantrum's attacks and can KO with their Steel STAB.

**Physical Walls**: Mega Aggron can take any attack from Tyrantrum easily and OHKO back. Other walls, like Umbreon, can 2HKO Tyrantrum with Foul Play.

**Priority**: Pokemon like Infernape can easily pick off Tyrantrum after Stealth Rock damageand Head Smash recoil.

Last edited:
Okay there is one thing that is seriously bothering me...

move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Ice Fang
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb / Lum Berry
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Why would you bother using a Focus Sash if you are going to kill yourself with Head Smash recoil on the next turn?

Minus

Okay there is one thing that is seriously bothering me...

Why would you bother using a Focus Sash if you are going to kill yourself with Head Smash recoil on the next turn?
To get in a DD. If you die that turn, there's no reason for you to even use Tyrantrum.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but I thought I would give this a look over because several things stood out to me:
Overview
########
  • Great attack + defense
  • Good STABs
  • Strong Jaw essentially give Tyrantrum STAB elemental fangs + Crunch
  • Head Smash
  • Good Boosting moves with RP and DD
  • Mediocre SpD, HP, and Speed
  • Weak to common attacking types (fighting)

Dragon Dance
########
move 2: Head Smash / Stone Edge (Mention to use this with Sash and Life Orb in Moves / Set Details)
move 3: Ice Fang
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb / Focus Sash (Since Head Smash is first slash, Lum should be also otherwise you KO yourself if you live on sash, or HS recoil + LO limits it's uses)
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd (you REALLY don't want your HP divisible by 2 when using Head Smash; just trust me here)

Moves
========
  • Dragon Dance gives Tyrantrum a much needed boost to its speed and, powers up Ice Fang and Earthquake, and boosts Head Smash to ridiculous levels. At +1, Tyrantrum can outspeed all of the unboosted tier bar Mega Alakazam, and Mega Aersodactyl.
  • Head Smash turns into a 225 BP attack after applying STAB, but has a severe 50% recoil. It can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier at +1 bar Mega Aggron.
  • Stone Edge is a safer alternative with a lower BP and no recoil, though Tyrantrum misses out on many OHKOs, even at +1. (Moved this up from bellow because it is fairly accurate)
  • Ice Fang is used for coverage and getting in KOs on Dragons and some other Pokemon. Not to mention the 10% freeze chance and flinch chance (if Tyrantrum goes last only).
  • Earthquake and Stone Edge / Head Smash give Tyrantrum almost perfect coverage. Earthquake can deal with Steel-types that take minimal damage from Ice Fang and Head Smash / Stone Edge.

Set Details
========
  • The HP EVs are to give Tyrantrum on more total, giving Tyrantrum a little more bulk.
  • The Attack EVs are to make Tyrantrum hit as hard as it can without an Adamant nature.
  • 4 Defense EVs add a small amount to Tyrantrum's bulk without making its HP divisible by 2 and thus reducing its Head Smash recoil by 1 point.
  • The speed EVs give Tyrantrum the much needed speed to outpace certain opponents.
  • Jolly nature is recommended in order to outspeed a majority of the unboosted tier.
  • Adamant can be used to give more power.
  • Focus Sash gives Tyrantrum the ability to almost always set up DD, but is broken with hazards and multi-hit moves. Using Stone Edge with Focus Sash is recommended.
  • Life Orb Gives Tyrantrum enough power to make up for Adamant and can get in more KOs.
  • Since Burn makes Tyrantrum much less threatening, a Lum Berry can be used to stop a burn in its tracks. Since Tyrantrum is weak in common attacks and is KO'd by a variety of Pokemon, sleep can be used for an easy switch and KO for the oppposing team; a Lum Berry can prevent this.

Usage Tips
========
  • If Focus Sash is used, make sure Tyrantrum is sent out when no entry hazards are on the field to keep the Sash intact. Keep in mind that if the Sash activates, Head Smash can only be used once and will always result in Tyrantrum fainting.
  • If using Life Orb / Lum Berry, try to switch into a physical Fire-type attack and set up on the switch.
  • Tyrantrum does well with late-game sweeping as it has almost unresisted coverage in this set.
  • If Tyrantrum is on low HP, almost always go for Head Smash, even if it is resisted by the opponent because it tends to do more than EQ or IF. If the opponent is in range of EQ or Ice Fang, don't hesitate to use them.
  • DD should almost always be the first move because Tyrantrum just doesn't have the raw power to do much without it.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that are weak to fire-types make for great partners as they can bait fire-type attacks that Tyrantrum can switch into and set up on.
  • Pokemon that can set up entry Hazards make Tyrantrum's life a little easier as it doesn't have to suicide with Head Smash and can resort to other moves that will also KO after entry hazard damage. Forretress works well, and can also bait fire-type attacks for Tyrantrum.
  • Thunder Wave support or WoW support can help Tyrantrum's speed and defense respectively and sweeping capabilities.
  • Tailwind support can also be a boon to Tyrantrum because it can bolster its low speed without DD.

Other Options
########
  • Tyrantrum can opt for a Dragon STAB, such as Dragon Claw, but it is generally outclassed by Ice Fang due to coverage.
  • Tyrantrum can effectively run a defensive Stealth Rock set in the sand, but is usually outclassed by Hippowdon.
  • Crunch is a viable move that becomes a Base 120 attack after Strong Jaw, but does not provide anymore coverage than the set above, though it can hit Bronzong hard.
  • Stone Edge is a safer alternative with a lower BP and no recoil, though Tyrantrum misses out on many OHKOs, even at +1.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Anything faster that can hit Tyrantrum Super effectively, especially Special Attackers.
  • Levitating / Air Balloon Steel-Types resist all of Tyrantrum's attacks and can KO with their Steel STAB.
  • Faster Pokemon are a nuisance to DD.
About the whole Stone Edge thing: I know Tyrantrum is supposed to function as a boosting wall breaker rather than a sweeper / cleaner, but allowing your opponent to chose what they want to trade with Tyrantrum at 1 HP is just silly to me. They could sent in fodder and make Tyrantrum useless by having it KO itself and all of a sudden, you're without a wall breaker and the wall it was supposed to go through is still standing and well. Stone Edge makes it more of a cleaner also which can be good in certain scenarios.

I am just an Ubers / VGC player though, so my knowledge of UU is limited, so having a QC member look over my work first before you implement it is the best idea.

Last edited:

Minus

Not QC, but I thought I would give this a look over because several things stood out to me:

About the whole Stone Edge thing: I know Tyrantrum is supposed to function as a boost wall breaker rather than a sweeper / cleaner, but allowing your opponent to chose what they want to trade with Tyrantrum at 1 HP is just silly to me. They could sent in fodder and make Tyrantrum useless by having it KO itself and all of a sudden, you're without a wall breaker and the wall it was supposed to go through is still standing and well. Stone Edge makes it more of a cleaner also which can be good in certain scenarios.

I am just an Ubers / VGC player though, so my knowledge of UU is limited, so having a QC member look over my work first before you implement it is the best idea.
Made most, it not all the changes, thanks!

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Mega Aggron definitely deserves a special place in C&C because at +1, Tyrantrum has a chance to 3HKO it with Earthquake while Mega Aggron has a chance to OHKO with Iron Head. Fire Fang needs a mention because Forretress walls it pretty well without it. I really see no reason to run Ice Fang. It hits Shaymin and Donphan harder than Dragon Claw, but that's about it (correct me if I'm wrong) because Roserade is already OHKOd by Dragon Claw and it just does more damage than Ice Fang in general.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
I have to try Tyrantrum first before i can take a look at this :x, but a CB set definitely seems viable

-Crunch slashed first over EQ on the DD set, Crunch hits basically all relevant Steel-Types harder than EQ and has the added bonus of hitting Slowbro/Mew/Ghosts without having to kill yourself with HS + LO recoil
Aside from that I can't really find much else tbh. Maybe a few things like Stone Edge is Rock STAB to hit Honch (Honch is gonna die to pretty much any hit from a Tyrantrum so it's kind of an unnecessary statement). (on CB set btw)

So yeah QC 2/3. Write this bad boy up.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, few things:

1) The Overview: It's good in that it covers most of Tyrantrum's aspects, but I think it would be great if you mentioned its significance and impact in the metagame, if it has any (and it does!). In other words, try expanding on the "why should/shouldn't I use this?," because you've already done the "what does it have" pretty well.

2) Set Details in Dragon Dance set: You kinda wrote this section awkwardly. Specifically, the last sentence is an awkward transition from the one before it. You could have simply typed something like: "Using Lum Berry also grants Tyranitrum a number of opportunities to set up confidently in the face of status, including paralysis, burn, and sleep."

3) Usage Tips in Dragon Dance set: Don't make readers think Tyrantrum's setup opportunities are limited to just physical Fire-type attacks, since there's many exceptions. It can set up on weaker attackers and walls as well, for example. Tyrantrum also has a fair amount of power before a boost so I dunno where you're getting that. I would think Tyrantrum values the Speed more than the Attack boost.

4) Choice Band set: I know you might have not placed Head Smash in there for reasons, but it was a main option in the Dragon Dance set, and you need to make it clear to players why the Choice Band set isn't using it. This is especially important, since in the previous set, you highlight how Head Smash has so much wallbreaking power, leaving players to wonder why it isn't on this set (actually, why isn't it?).

5) Set Details in Choice Band set: "The Attack EVs are to make Tyrantrum hit as hard as it can without an Adamant nature. The speed EVs give Tyrantrum the much needed speed to outpace certain opponents ...such as?. Choice Band turns Tyrantrum from a late-game cleaner into a wallbreaker."

6) Usage Tips in Choice Band set: Again, Tyrantrum isn't limited to the situations you listed. You may also feel free to mention that as a wallbreaker, Tyrantrum should be used early-game to, well, y'know, break stuff.

7) Checks and Counter: Yeeeeeeeeeeeah. Not gonna lie, it's pretty bare, and not the "good kind" of bare. "Super effective attacks" can pretty much apply for just about any Pokemon, so I think you mean to describe revenge killers. You should also mention other physical walls, since you make it seem like Mega Aggron is the one-and-only.

Minus

Thanks AccidentalGreed, I appreciate you looking at this =]! i think I fixed the stuff

4) Choice Band set: I know you might have not placed Head Smash in there for reasons, but it was a main option in the Dragon Dance set, and you need to make it clear to players why the Choice Band set isn't using it. This is especially important, since in the previous set, you highlight how Head Smash has so much wallbreaking power, leaving players to wonder why it isn't on this set (actually, why isn't it?).
With proper hazard support, Tyrantrum can hit almost as hard with Stone Edge as it does with Head Smash (maybe like ~20% less on Umbreon) and it doesn' have the crippling recoil. And once the opponent figures out you're banded, then they can just send in death fodder to take the head smash and easily rk you.

I would still slash Head Smash on Choice Band set. While recoil does indeed suck, damage it deals is simply nuts (it can even 2HKO for example Max HP/Max Def Swampert with little residual damage before, which tells you how hard it hits and pretty much cleanly 2HKO everything that doesn't resist it, which includes the bulkiest of physical walls). And let's face it - main role of Choice Band set is to wallbreak and open up holes, which Head Smash EASILY does, even if recoil kills it after, it may be really crucial hole opened for something else to sweep like SD Lucario.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 148-174 (36.9 - 43.3%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

i wouldn't call that a 2hko in any sense of the word, it's barely a 3hko.

does tyrantrum still deserve an analysis given that Haxorus is permanently in the tier now? it wasn't good to begin with, but now it's just straight outclassed (the only niche it potentially had was "dragon that can break through fairies!", but now that there's another DDer in the tier who also has access to Poison Jab + SD, it really doesn't seem worth it in any capacity.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 148-174 (36.9 - 43.3%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

i wouldn't call that a 2hko in any sense of the word, it's barely a 3hko.

does tyrantrum still deserve an analysis given that Haxorus is permanently in the tier now? it wasn't good to begin with, but now it's just straight outclassed (the only niche it potentially had was "dragon that can break through fairies!", but now that there's another DDer in the tier who also has access to Poison Jab + SD, it really doesn't seem worth it in any capacity.
nope, locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)