Tyrantrum (Revamp) [QC 0/3]

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

literally a king dinosaur

I feel like the on-site analysis is a bit outdated so I decided to revamp it entirely; I'm also not sure on the viability of Scarf Tyrantrum.

Overview
########
- gained Outrage in ORAS which is huge
- amazing movepool consisting of outrage/dragon claw, stone edge, earthquake, fire/ice/thunder/poison fang
- it's ability boosts up fire/ice fang making them strong and allows tyrantrum to bypass steel-types and gligar easily
- good set up moves: rock polish and dragon dance
- good typing gives it nifty resistances; sadly these resistances are mitigated by it's pitiful spdef
- good raw physical bulk
- strong physical attack, middling speed

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Ice Fang
ability: Strong Jaw
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
- Outrage is a ridiculously strong STAB move; for example it 2HKOs Rhyperior, Alomomola, and after SR also Gligar with Choice Band.
- Stone Edge is another strong STAB move that hits Fairy-types hard
- Fire Fang is good in conjunction with Strong Jaw to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion, Registeel, and Bronzong hard
- Ice Fang targets Gligar

Set Details
========
- choice band for wallbreaking potential
- simple max atk/max spe spread
- adamant for maximum power, jolly isn't worth it because still slower than base 80s; although you outspeed neutral-natured base 80s.

Usage Tips
========
- Using it is simple. Come in, click Outrage, kill shit
- it's used as a wallbreaker so use it early to mid-game to soften and break walls for other pokemon to easily sweep
- if opponent has a Fairy-type then clicking Stone Edge is beneficial
- a lot of teams have both a Steel-type (which resists Stone Edge/Outrage) and a Fairy-type (immune to Outrage), so sometimes clearing one or the other is good before you could start spamming either STAB
- sometimes prediction is needed; click Fire Fang if you anticipate a Steel-type switching in, or Ice Fang for Gligar; although if SR is up or it has taken a bit of prior damage, then Outrage 2HKOs.

Team Options
========
- other wallbreakers coupled with Tyrantrum can pressure other teams immensely; choice specs or life orb dragalge work well as it can form a double-dragon wallbreaking core with Tyrantrum, pressuring the opponent's steel-types and/or fairy-types. pangoro works as well.
- fast sweepers can benefit from Tyrantrum's wallbreaking capabilities; choice scarf users in general (meloetta is good), sharpedo, mega pidgeot/mega sceptile, fletchinder, jolteon/heliolisk etc
- it appreciates stealth rock as it can allow Tyrantrum to nab some guaranteed 2HKOs with Outrage, so cobalion/bronzong are good mates to set up SR (despite shared weaknesses)
- voltturn users can bring in tyrantrum safely; mega pidgeot, meloetta, heliolisk, cobalion (can also set up SR)

Rock Polish
########
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Ice Fang
move 4: Fire Fang / Ice Fang
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
- Rock Polish allows Tyrantrum to set-up and outspeed p much the entire metagame up to scarf moltres
- Outrage is ridiculously strong even unboosted
- Stone Edge is a strong STAB move that can hit fairies hard, as well as hitting things such as Golbat super effectively
- Fire Fang is good for bypassing Steel-types such as cobalion, registeel, and bronzong
- Ice Fang is mostly for Gligar as it does a lot of damage to it

Set Details
========
- simple EV spread aiming to maximize its attack and speed
- Adamant is used because at +2 you outspeed everything anyway, and the power boost is really needed
- LO is needed for more power at the exchange of some bulk that would otherwise be useful
- Lum Berry will leave a lot to be desired in terms of power but its a viable option to bypass unwanted status. additionally it cures tyrantrum of confusion after outrage is used, not allowing confusion to possibly stop the sweep.

Usage Tips
========
- this set is used more as a sweeper late-game with rock polish and strong attacks
- set up on Pokemon that can't do much damage like Pidgeot, Eelektross, or Moltres (although hurricane can sting even from scarf sets. same goes to pidgeot)
- be careful when using Outrage, as the confusion at the end can hinder its sweep. it's better to use outrage when fairies/steels are taken care of or weakened to the point where it could KO them

Team Options
========
- stealth rock is nice for an easier time to sweep (i would put some mons it KOs with and without SR later) so cobalion (despite shared weaknesses) and bronzong are nice
- dugtrio is good if you don't use fire fang as it can trap steel-types outside of bronzong, and it also has memento which gives Tyrantrum a huge opportunity to set up.
- mega sceptile forms somewhat of a double dragon core; they both can share the same counters and one could weaken/take them out for the other to sweep
- choice band pangoro can lure in fairies and smack them for tyrantrum to have an easier time; it also softens walls up
- wallbreakers in general are nice to soften walls; wallbreakrs that lure steels are even better (dragalge)

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Ice Fang
move 4: Fire Fang / Ice Fang
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
- Dragon Dance allows it to act as a strong sweeper
- Outrage is ridiculously strong even unboosted
- Stone Edge is a strong STAB move that can hit fairies hard, as well as hitting things such as Golbat super effectively
- Fire Fang is good for bypassing Steel-types such as cobalion, registeel, and bronzong
- Ice Fang is mostly for Gligar as it does a lot of damage to it

Set Details
========
- simple EV spread aiming to maximize its attack and speed
- jolly outspeeds Dugtrio, Pidgeot, and Jolteon at +1 but still can't outspeed Mega Sceptile
- Adamant is slower than the aforementioned threats but hits harder
- Lum Berry is good to set up on status moves such as Registeel's t-wave if it decides to stay in, or random scald burns or something
- LO is good for more power t the exchange of some bulk that would otherwise be useful

Usage Tips
========
- this set is used more as a sweeper mid- to late-game with dragon dance and strong attacks
- set up on Pokemon that can't do much damage like Fletchinder (if you have Lum and dont care about a burn), Registeel, Pidgeot, or Moltres (although hurricane can sting even from scarf sets)
- be careful when using Outrage, as the confusion at the end can hinder its sweep. it's better to use outrage when fairies/steels are taken care of or weakened to the point where it could KO them

Team Options
========
- stealth rock is nice for an easier time to sweep (i would put some mons it KOs with and without SR later) so cobalion (despite shared weaknesses) and bronzong are nice
- dugtrio is good if you don't use fire fang as it can trap steel-types outside of bronzong, and it also has memento which gives Tyrantrum a huge opportunity to set up.
- mega sceptile forms somewhat of a double dragon core; they both can share the same counters and one could weaken/take them out for the other to sweep
- choice band pangoro can lure in fairies and smack them for tyrantrum to have an easier time; it also softens walls up
- wallbreakers in general are nice to soften walls; wallbreakrs that lure steels are even better (dragalge)

Other Options
########
- Choice Scarf
- Stealth Rock
- dragon dance
- head smash
- curse but its a bad user of it
- poison fang hits fairies super effectively and has the 50% chance to induce toxic poison, but x2 poison fang power = stone edge power
- thunderfang hits mola super effectively
- crunch hits doubladde and zonger more, as well as slowking, but generally inferior as u can hit former two with fire fang and latter with outrage

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy-types**: Banded Stone Edge can 2HKO Aromatisse, but it can still switch in on any other move and OHKO with Moonblast. Mega Audino is not 2HKO'd and has Dazzling Gleam. Slurpuff can set up on Outrage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tyrantrum isn't fast and it has pitiful SpD, and that means that faster, specially-based attackers can easily take out Tyrantrum. Mega Sceptile, Heliolisk (KO with Grass Knot after Stealth Rock), Meloetta, anything that has decent special attack and can hit it neutrally is a good check assuming it can OHKO.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ready for QC

unsure if scarf is worth adding or n. leaning towards n.

i'm shaky about the current c&c, been thinking of what to add but literally can't think of anything else.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Cb has problems with Bulky steels i assume, though you can fang them they sponge your stabs

Steelix especially, gligar probably deserves a mention (both against CB and Dd)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm really shaky on Dragon Dance tbh. It's slower than most Scarf users after a single boost, but most importantly, dies to Mega Sceptile. I've tried Rock Polish a fair few times since it got Outrage, and it's a pretty neat late-game cleaner. Once you remove Steel and Fairy mons, Outrage just murders about everything with Adamant + LO. And yes, +2 Speed allows it to run Adamant with no worries at all, making up for most of the power difference. For example:

252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 266-316 (65.8 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 280-330 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The power is close to the same as the suggested item and spread for the current DD set, but instead of gaining some power and some speed, you gain enough Speed to outright murder offense that lacks Steel- or Fairy-types. What's more is that the Life Orb lets it act as a wallbreaker if there likely won't be a chance to set up a Rock Polish or if the opponent has a Mach Punch user, such as Hitmonlee. And if you're wondering about Adamant Lum Berry:

252+ Atk Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 205-243 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

More noticeable, but still pretty strong. You'd need more prior damage this way, but being able to use Outrage for free once is nice too. What's more is that Rock Polish beats all of the faster Pokemon that are supposed to RK Tyrantrum. I'll stop blabbering now. If you're curious, here's the set I use:

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang

Band set looks fine. Keep Scarf in OO. I'd like more discussion on Rock Polish before stamping this.

aVocado

@ Everstone
gonna go on a 2 day trip and probably won't take my laptop along so this will have to wait. I agree with the fact that DD isn't as effective, and I'll test out Rock Polish more extensively when I get back. thanks EonX

Add to oo:
  • A fat SpD spread (maybe with curse?) in order to counter Moltres better.
  • Thunder Fang cause fuck mola.
  • Poison Fang cause fuck fairies.
Add Sleep Talk to set details for CB/oo cause it can beat Amoonguss.

aVocado

@ Everstone
About time I update this, sorry for the delay. EonX I've used Rock Polish for a bit and I see its merit now, although its power leaves a bit to be desired it's still a pretty solid sweeper, better than my experience with DD for sure. For now I put DD in spoiler tags and replaced it with Rock Polish (mostly the same skeleton but changed some things to fit the set). From experience and talking to you a bit I agree that Rock Polish deserves a set and DD doesn't, but I don't oppose writing both of them anyway

Ranger Dave I put thunder and poison fang in OO (with mentions that stone edge = SE poison fang power) but i'm not sure on sleep talk or a spdef spread. the banded set needs all of its coverage and spdef seems bad @_@

Last edited:
I'd mention on the Rock polish set that Lum Berry can cure its self induced confusion from Outrage, to ensure it doesn't die prematurely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)