Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really nice that Tyrantrum got some decent moves to take advntage of Strong Jaws. Now it can be very versatile, being able to use a DD / Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Ice Fang set with Strong Jaws, a DD / Head Smash / Earthquake / Fire Fang set with Rock Head, a Choice Band set with Head Smash / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Fire Fang or Ice Fang and Rock Head, a Choice Scarf set with Head Smash / Earthquake / Fire Fang / filler and Rock Head, and maybe even a bulky SubDD set with Head Smash, Earthquake, and Rock Head.

So here's my set for this little monster.
Jolly 252 attack 252 speed 4 hp
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw/Outrage once it eventually gets it in Pokémon Z
Earthquake/ Iron Tail
Stone Edge/ Head Smash

Really nice that Tyrantrum got some decent moves to take advntage of Strong Jaws. Now it can be very versatile, being able to use a DD / Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Ice Fang set with Strong Jaws, a DD / Head Smash / Earthquake / Fire Fang set with Rock Head, a Choice Band set with Head Smash / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Fire Fang or Ice Fang and Rock Head, a Choice Scarf set with Head Smash / Earthquake / Fire Fang / filler and Rock Head, and maybe even a bulky SubDD set with Head Smash, Earthquake, and Rock Head.
Whoa up on the Ice Fang. Some pokemon don't get all three, we can't assume Tyranitrum will (Though it may just.)
Someone breed a Gyarados with one of these to test it. Don't think people care as much about Thunder Fang, but we may as well find that out as well, so get a Salamence on the job as well.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned hone claws yet.
Raising that 80% accuracy of head smash sounds fantastic. With the right team support such as paralysis and sticky web this set will bring the hurt.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you have any actual evidence that Tyrantrum gets Rock Head? Your source does not support this and I can find no evidence anywhere else.
I can confirm Tyrantrum gets Rock Head. I was in game doing the battle test where my lead (Trace Gardevoir) traced Tyrantrums Rock Head. I then proceeded to get sweeped as I am sure it was Adamant and Scarfed. (Outsped and OHKO'd my team, including an un boosted Adamant Blaziken).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned hone claws yet.
Raising that 80% accuracy of head smash sounds fantastic. With the right team support such as paralysis and sticky web this set will bring the hurt.
The accuracy boost is nice, but it really needs the speed, even considering Sticky Web.

This thing is cool but I'm not sure it'll go far in the long run. Love the typing, but if you're going to be Rock, you'd have to be damn good to make an impact. Stats aren't that great either. It's just too slow and easy to have its weaknesses targeted.

What about a lead set? I don't see our T-Rex friend being OU but i could see him in lower tiers.

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash/Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/Crunch

Not sure about the EVs or what moves should be slashed first, but i figured since it learns Stealth Rock and has decent defenses a lead set might be possible.

Last edited:
TBH I'm really disappointed Tyrantrum didn't get a nice rock and/or Dragon STAB move to use with Strong Jaw. It seems like a huge waste of potential
I'd rather have the STAB like boosts with the elemental fangs

Tho having its best dragon STAB being Dragon Claw is kinda meh

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Its Dragon typing isn't really the reason to use Tyrantrum from the looks of it though. If I was going to use Tyrantrum on a serious OU team, I'd absolutely be using Rock Head Head Smash. Another decent sounding option for an OU set would be something like Head Smash / Rock Polish / Dragon Dance / Earthquake | Dragon Claw. Pretty standard dual dance concept but with Rock Polish > Swords Dance because Tyrantrum has the power it needs most of the time anyways and would often rather focus on its Speed anyways. But in scenarios when it needs Attack, it has the option for it. You could use a resist berry (Chople, Babiri, etc.) with it if you're really worried about being revenged by priority as well. Probably not the best set, but it sounds like it'd be Tyrantrum's best niche in OU.

I'd rather have the STAB like boosts with the elemental fangs

Tho having its best dragon STAB being Dragon Claw is kinda meh
Unless the Fang moves had an increase in BP, Strong Jaw ups them to 97.5. STAB Head Smash will be stronger against everything neutral. Something would have to be x4 weak to your elemental fang with Strong Jaw to deal more power to any given target. Honestly Ice Fang without the boost is enough for the likes of Gliscor and Landorus to maintain Head Smash. Even x2 Strong Jaw Crunch is only 15 BP stronger than Head Smash would be. You'd have to show some important bulky Psychics that Crunch would 1 or 2HKO that Head Smash wouldn't.

I'm glad it has all the tools to abuse Strong Jaw. The Elemental Fangs are brought to a respectable BP near the gold standard, Earthquake, and still retain their lovely after effects. Poison Fang would do well with a buff in BP but it could be a decent way to deal with Fairies because if Tyrantrum is indeed relegated to the lower tiers he will be facing quite a few. 75 BP isn't so bad, especially since it has an amazing 30% chance to inflict TOXIC poison. Head Smash would still outdamage it hardcore though lol. Priority will DESTROY it though and so as good as it might be I doubt it will ever be a consistently good choice in OU.

I think Tyrantrum was handled as perfectly as a Rock/Dragon was gonna be handled. The absence of Outrage and Stone Edge doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure at least Outrage will be remedied at some point in time. How do you not give this Pokemon Stone Edge but Absol, Meloetta, and Corsola get it??? Oh well, at least they gave it Dragon Dance. Cool Pokemon.

Well I was hoping for biting STAB in addition to the fangs. Itd have been perfect as a signature move, a counterpart to freeze dry

Yeah, I really wish he did have the counterpart of Freeze Dry. Something like this would be awesome:
Dragon Fang
BP:70
Accuracy: 100%
Affect: Can hit steel types super effectively
It would make perfect logical sense when compared to Freeze Dry. Same BP as Freeze Dry, its type is its secondary typing as a fossil(Dragon for Tyrantrum as is Ice for Aurorus), and it has the ability to bypass a type that resists this secondary type(Steel for Dragon, Water for Ice). Being a biting move would bring its BP to 95 when used with Strong Jaw before STAB making it a perfect secondary STAB and coverage move all in one. But then again, logic isn't Gamefreak's strong suit so I didn't expect too much.

Yeah, I really wish he did have the counterpart of Freeze Dry. Something like this would be awesome:
Dragon Fang
BP:70
Accuracy: 100%
Affect: Can hit steel types super effectively
It would make perfect logical sense when compared to Freeze Dry. Same BP as Freeze Dry, its type is its secondary typing as a fossil(Dragon for Tyrantrum as is Ice for Aurorus), and it has the ability to bypass a type that resists this secondary type(Steel for Dragon, Water for Ice). Being a biting move would bring its BP to 95 when used with Strong Jaw before STAB making it a perfect secondary STAB and coverage move all in one. But then again, logic isn't Gamefreak's strong suit so I didn't expect too much.
Actually, that move would be BP 105 after strong jaw, and would be unresisted save for Fairies, so it'd be crazy OP. I was thinking pretty much the same move, except called "Stone Crunch" and a rock move. And maybe a Dragon Type biting move with a flinch chance that would be 90-105 BP after strong jaw.

Actually, that move would be BP 105 after strong jaw, and would be unresisted save for Fairies, so it'd be crazy OP. I was thinking pretty much the same move, except called "Stone Crunch" and a rock move. And maybe a Dragon Type biting move with a flinch chance that would be 90-105 BP after strong jaw.
Woops, apparently I can't add 35 to 70, my fault. Although only fairy types would resist this move, if it is exclusive to just Tyrantrum, I don't think it would be too OP. Dragon types had almost unresisted coverage for the past 5 generations apart from steels and even they could be dealt with effectively. On top of that Tyrantrum's weakness to common priority would not make him run rampant if he gets off a Rock Polish and spams the move. The only problem with it being a Rock type biting move is that it would have to be significantly stronger than 70 BP in order to be used over Head Smash assuming he gets Rock Head. But I guess it would come down to whether you want a 210BP move on Steels that is 105 for the most part, or a 112.5BP move for Steels that is 225BP for the most part(this being before STAB). Well, anyways that was just my wish list for Tyrantrum, I doubt either will happen this gen.

Now that Serebii updated with its stats we see that it has 71 base speed! Which means at full speed (+spd nature and fully EVd) it'll reach 397, outspeeding base 130s. That's pretty cool. Its other stats are kinda bad though, but I predicted that anyway...

OP has: 95 / 125 / 120 / 80 / 60 / 75
Serebii: 82 / 121 / 119 / 69 / 59 / 71

Rock Head with Head Smash / DD will be really good, dayum. Too bad priority will be really annoying for it so they'd need to be taken care of before it can even try to set up...

Now that Serebii updated with its stats we see that it has 71 base speed! Which means at full speed (+spd nature and fully EVd) it'll reach 397, outspeeding base 130s. That's pretty cool. Its other stats are kinda bad though, but I predicted that anyway...

OP has: 95 / 125 / 120 / 80 / 60 / 75
Serebii: 82 / 121 / 119 / 69 / 59 / 71

Rock Head with Head Smash / DD will be really good, dayum. Too bad priority will be really annoying for it so they'd need to be taken care of before it can even try to set up...
About the stats on Serebii, are those the official stats for the new Pokemon or are those just their predictions similar to the ones that have been done here? I know Serebii has a lot of credit with the info they have on their site but I am not sure if anyone else has confirmed these.

About the stats on Serebii, are those the official stats for the new Pokemon or are those just their predictions similar to the ones that have been done here? I know Serebii has a lot of credit with the info they have on their site but I am not sure if anyone else has confirmed these.
I had a few base stats calculated myself + some other people had some and serebii had the same stats for all of them so it should be correct mostly. But he said himself some might be off. I saw Barbaracle with 92 base attack before but it's now changed to 105.

I had Tyrantrums defense calculated at 119 so that should definitely be correct.
And from seeing some Tyrantrum stats his hp was WAY too high in the OP.

Like I said, the stats given were way too optimistic, but serebiis might not be 100% correct either... (still, he said his team calculated them, so they should definitely get more credit than really wide stat-ranges that we had before).

I'd say they can be taken for real, but it won't hurt if other people still try to calculate them to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)