U-Turning for the perfect opportunity!

Making another RMT!
I've been trying to make another team at least nearly as good as my last one, as that last one has literally been my best. This time around, I've been focusing on offense more, and while checking out other RMTs, I came across a specific set that really piqued my interest!
Dragon Dance+Taunt Tyranitar...
This team was meant to just cover what would scare it out but then I realized I'm using a lot of U-Turners... oh well, that's actually good, isn't it?
However, after what you see down below, seems Tyranitar wasn't the best decision as my last sweeper. It crippled Zapdos. Azelf didn't have enough physical power with Zen Headbutt. But with a few changes and testing, it's much better!

Nymph (Celebi) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed

Originally Azelf for a lead, B-Zard suggested Celebi to keep the Psychic typing but create the CeleTran core. Celebi will just Leech Seed leads or KO them. Normally I used HP Fire but HP Ice seems to be of more use since a normal Celebi gets walled by something like Dragonite, but now it'll KO the Dragonite instead. Celebi adds some defense to the team without messing up the offense of it, and brings in some healing.

Grell (Heatran) (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

This is actually the most unlikely set I ever saw myself using. But yeah, seems to be a weird set STILL to me. Heatran sets the rocks that my lead lacks, and manages to get quite a bit that it misses. I used Shuca Berry to catch other Heatrans for the most part and guarantee my rocks. Heatran's bluff of a Scarf also gets me free SR and then catch something else offguard. Will-O-Wisp will burn those dragons thinking they can get a free Dragon Dance off of a Scarftran when it turns out to be your average ShucaTran.

Smoczy (Flygon) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 Atk/176 Spd/252 SpAtk
Rash nature (+SpAtk,-SpDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Of ALL things on this team to have U-Turn, Flygon doesn't?! That's actually the whole point: Flygon won't U-Turn. Ever since I first tried this set, I've fallen in love with it. This surprise is just beautiful, especially when I catch nearly ANY dragon switch-in with Draco Meteor thinking I was about to EQ their Heatran. Oh right, your Skarmory stops Flygon from actually doing damage, and Scarfgon lacks the power to OHKO Sp. Def Skarmory with even Fire Blast (I've witnessed this firsthand with my own Skarmory). But the thing is, it's not Scarf, and has power behind it, and can easily KO Skarmory and Forretress with Fire Blast. I lose quite a bit of speed to keep my power, but it doesn't matter to me if I'm KOing a lot of things that normally would force me out.

Justin Law (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/56 Atk/8 Spd/196 SpDef
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Just your typical Banded Scizor, move along now.
Pff, no, really. I can't say much, but since I have too...
Scizor is one of the most obvious Pokemon ever but it seems that it's still very effective. Scizor typically just forces something out and U-Turns, or Bullet Punches to pick off what's left. Only rarely do I use Superpower and that's only been to catch a Blissey that thought it was free to roam once Azelf was gone. I literally have NOT used Pursuit once but have it for just the moment I may need it. Scizor has a lot of power, and from what I've learned, so much that with a Choice Band that it can really invest in other stats while retaining its force. This set's a lot bulkier than I imagined, as it once took a LO Starmie's Surf and just U-Turned for the KO (Seriously guys, if you do calcs, this probably isn't possible, but I face WAY more noobs than competent players). To think such a standard set would do me so much good...

Retrofit (Rotom-w) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP/216 Spd/40 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

To replace Zapdos, B-Zard also suggested Rotom. Rotom and Heatran also love to be together since Rotom avoids the ever-so-common Fighting and Ground attacks for Heatran. Rotom also serves to cripple walls that constantly switch in on my team, and giving a chance to set up on them. Rotom's STAB Tbolt doesn't have the power like Zapdos, but Zapdos doesn't have a Hydro Pump that can threaten Tyranitar or some fire types. Rotom actually just adds on immunities and resistances that Zapdos had while losing U-Turn. With this, my team has no Stealth Rock weaknesses, and now has an easier time manually switching as opposed to always U-Turning.

Seiren (Kingdra) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP/160 Atk/164 Spd/40 SpDef
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Rest
- Waterfall

To replace Tyranitar, Kingdra was suggested. It doesn't add Sandstorm which didn't do too much good for my team, and added a water resistance, which was GREAT. ChestoResto gets to just heal up and get its sweep ready, and with Kingdra's balanced stats, it's still reasonably bulky. And as late in the game as it'll be once this comes in, the opponent will have a hard time stopping it. Since bulky waters may give me trouble by living my Outrage, Heatran will most likely have already burned them, forcing them to Rest or Vaporeon will Heal Bell if possible. That gives Kingdra an even BETTER chance to sweep. While the rest are meant to wreck and U-Turn, Kingdra's just meant to wreck.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey,

Its been a while since I've seen a dpp ou team worth rating, and this one certainly fits the budget for me. One of the few things that looks a little frightening for me is that your team lacks a solid Water resistance, the best thing I see at the moment is Scizor / Zapdos, who both lack recovery, and one is crippled by SR (which you have no spinner for). I think that using a ChestoRest Kingdra over Tyranitar is going to be really beneficial for you. Tyranitar's Sandstream means that your choice user, Zapdos will be taking a lot of residual damage that it can’t afford to take, especially if you have been able to keep rocks off the field, since it is your saving grace against a Lucario sweep once Heatran is gone (+2 ES LO from Luke does 75% - 95% to Zapdos). Kingdra will still offer you a great late game sweeper, probably better than Tyranitar, and even give you a much needed water type resistance. Using 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpDef / 164 Spe, you can outspeed CS Flygon after 2 DDs, and survive at least 2 attacks from Starmie and CM Suicune, who are both hit and run problems for your team. An Adamant nature and moveset of Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Outrage / Rest are fine.

The other problem is having no spinner. Although you could add a spinner like Starmie, there is a really cool way to mitigate the opposing SR user. By using a Choice Band Azelf, with an Adamant nature and max Attack and Speed, you can reliably ohko SR users leads like Metagross, Azelf and others, all without losing momentum. A Jolly nature can definitely be used to ensure some speed ties, but due to the lack of power, rocks will get up most of the time, which isn’t a good tradeoff in my opinion – since you need rocks off the field. A moveset of Zen Headbutt / Explosion / U-turn / Fire Punch should be fine, and is standard. You’ll probably do more damage than the previous set you ran, and is a fun surprise for a lead. On another note, I might suggest running Expert Belt on Flygon to feign a choice set especially if you are locked into EQ or something, you can OHKO unsuspecting Skarm or Forry switch-ins.

Cool team bro, and I hope I shed some light on your team - GL!

Helloo my friend! DAMN I love that team, especially your Zapdos =)

Zen Headbutt on Azelf is bad idea, it cant hurt blissey even with 252 Atk EVs. So I would suggest to use Psychic. If you dont want use Grass Knot or Explosion I would use HP Ground to Heatrans. Though I dont think you need HP Ground since you have Heatran, Flygon etc.

Heatrans set looks ok, but if you dont need HP Grass why not use another Explosion >:D

HA! I dont like much Flygon, but that set is awesome! Does better job than Mixed Dnite amd isnt weak to SR.
Ground type is also good thing when predicting Electric type moves e.g. Twave

Classic Band Scizor, what else I would say. Wait a sec that EV Spread 0.o
Well you must have at least 8 Spd EVs to outseed Blissey which is important.

I love that Scarf Zapdos! Far a way from common sets; not really but scarf definedly surprises.

Taunt Ttar! Its pro. I have used that set much and it works. My EV spread is 56 Atk/ 200 Def/ 252 Spd With 56 Atk EVs it can OHKO Metagross after 2 Dragon Dances. I surprised Metagross lived after 2 DD so I put some Atk EVs. Im using Crunch over Stone Edge because I dont wanna got haxed. Also Crunch is nice move againts Shaymin, Starmie, Suicune and others who resist EdgeQuake combo. Fire Punch is avaible opinion, but too weak imo and no much use.

I see weakness agaisnt Water types e.g. Starmie, Suicune; No much switch ins so you need to fodder something and revenge kill water pokemons. Overall your team is solid.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lum berry > Leftovers on Tyranitar. It lets you DD as the opposite rotom/blissey status you, taunt them and DD again on the switch. I also don't really like max hp.. Just sounds redundant, Tyranitar is already pretty bulky..

Also, I can't see what your Azelf lead accomplishes if it can't take down Machamp. (I haven't done the calcs, but I don't think a Zen Headbutt would take down machamp.)

Hey Crona,

I think you should go with the suggestions in San Pellegrino's post, but I also have another suggestion. You could try Toxic on Heatran over Hidden Power Grass to hit things like bulky waters such as Gyarados, Vaporeon, Swampert, and Suicune. Not only will it cripple them, but it will also soften them up for ChestoRest Kingdra if you decide to take San Pellegrino's post.

I didn't expect to get this many responses!
Looking at everything, I'll try out San Pellegrino's suggestions, as it seems to help me the most. It's sad to see Tyranitar go, but it's also fun to try out Kingdra for once. CB Azelf also sounds great, as it now has a lot of force behind it and doesn't lose too much coverage! I'll try Expert Belt on Flygon as well, I'm all about faking them out with the set.
I'll also shift some EVs on Scizor to speed like NMx said.
And thanks Eradicator, I really didn't know what to give Heatran but Toxic sounds best. I personally don't find Explosion powerful enough on Heatran, so I dislike using it. Since Toxic will help out the new member of the team, that'll help make this team greater!

hey, pretty good team. one thing i've seen is that you must watch out for electivire when you use scarf zapdos. facing an empoleon or gyarados you probably will use Tbolt, but then electivire takes a speed boost and can hurt your team a lot, outspeeding your whole team at +1, also outspeeds +1 kingdra and killing pretty much everything except kingdra if he has cross chop. to prevent this my idea is to replace scizor or heatran with skarmory, who can take a fire punch and whirlwind electivire away, or just use a scarfgon. electivire resists salamence's dragon claw, so I don't think if kingdra's outrage will OHKO it, and electivire can 2HKO it with thunderpunch + life orb. even if kingdra will kill electivire, it will remain with no boosts and little health and if you loose zapdos your team is a little bit too slow and it can be defeated by scarf users like blaziken, flygon o eventually lucario. so, my suggestion is to replace heatran or scizor with skarmory. for the rest is a very good team. good luck

I'm confused as to how Electivire "resists Dragon Claw". It doesn't resist Dragon at all. Only Steel types do, and it's pure Electric.
However, I do see what you're getting at, but Skarmory messes up the offense of the team. Scizor's a nogo, and Heatran is kind of needed. I also haven't had a challenge facing Electivire (if I've seen it at all, and that's been once). Any other suggestions? I don't trust Skarmory to replace anything on the team.

Hey, it has been a long time since I actually rated a team for someone. I do have a few suggestions to hopefully make your team better. The suggestions are not very long since I didn't have time for a proper rate.

First of all I don't really like the Azelf lead tbh, looking at your team it looks like you would benefit from a grass type to take attacks aimed at Heatran. A grass type added to your team also gives you a FWG core. I would recommend the use of Celebi as a lead, since Celebi is part Psychic (the type of Azelf) and has perfect synergy with Tran. The set I mean is:

Celebi @ Occa Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power
- U-turn/ Leech Seed

About your Tran, just try Will-O-Wisp > Toxic. It really works since most Pokes that love to switch in on Tran are DDers like Dnite, Ttar and Gyara and they don't like it if they're burned.

Flygon next: I would just go for the Life orb since with it your attacks do more damage. You can heal yourself with Roost if the Life Orb damage becomes to much.

Scizor is fine.

Next there's the Zapdos. The set is okay, but the problem I see is that Choice users switch a lot and especially if they carry something like U-turn. Since Zapdos is SR weak it can't survive very long. Therefore I suggest Rotom-W > Zapdos. Rotom has just like Zapdos the electric type STABed but since it is part ghost, Shadow Ball is also pretty strong. Rotom doesn't have the SR weakness and can also function as a spin blocker. Since your team is pretty offensively based you really need that SR damage and wouldn't be happy if they got spun away. This is the set I recommend:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252HP/ 40SpA/ 216Spe
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Since my descriptions usually are longer just post if you have any questions about the sets.

Hope I helped you and good luck with your team!

Thanks for the idea, B-Zard.
I tried your suggestions and I feel the team can switch much easier now with those two.
I also don't get scared a little seeing Dragon Dancers since I can take EQ with Heatran and burn them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)