1. The moderators of this forum are Fireburn, Hack, and Nayrz.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Announcement Ubers Classic I ~ Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Ubers' started by Arii Stella, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Arii Stella

Arii Stella ñam~
    is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]
    Amazing art by. NicoReaper ╰(⌒▽⌒╰)

Welcome, everyone, to the first Ubers Classic!
    This will be the second in the annual Ubers Tour Circuit, and will take place in the Circuit Tournaments subforum. The Ubers Classic rivisits the old gens of Ubers, and gives you a chance to earn the Ubers Tour Winner banner. The players who make playoffs also get points for the Smogon Championship.​

The format for this tournament should be familiar to anyone who has ever played in Smogon Classic or Grand Slam. There will be three single elimination tournaments: the BW Ubers Cup, the DPP Ubers Cup, and the ADV Ubers Cup. Each participant will earn points according to their progress in each Cup (the point system is same as Grand Slam). After all three Cups finish, the top 8 players with the most points advance to the playoffs. In the playoffs, the players will battle in a best-of-three consisting of all three generations till we have an undisputed Ubers Classic Champion.

The signups for each Cup will be one week apart. The hosts are allowed to play in their respective Cups as long as they elect someone else to make the pairings. Here is the list of the Cups, along with their respective hosts, and the dates on which the signups will be posted.​
    Use this thread for posting predictions, general discussion, or for asking any questions you may have regarding the tournament.

Good Luck Everybody! :afrostar:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    NicoReaper, Pearl, Hack and 24 others like this.
  2. Exiline

Exiline objectif lune
    is a Tiering Contributor

3. Melle2402

Melle2402

Wheres ubers?_?
    E: Lol damn i meant oras ubers ;-;
    Im terrible
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Drud likes this.
  4. SparksBlade

SparksBlade blood heats skin prickles you kindle something in me
    is a Pre-Contributor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leo, Ahboep, Jhonx~ and 9 others like this.
  5. Gunner Rohan

Gunner Rohan

No ORAS..
    R
    I
    O
    T
    byronthewellwell likes this.
  6. Isa

Isa CHINGUYA
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Global Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

distinctively not classic enough

free gsc
    ApplepieFTW, Pearl, CKW and 4 others like this.
  7. steelskitty

steelskitty sleeper
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

yeah. we should probably just axe bw and dpp while we're at it, too. a tour with only rby/gsc/adv ubers seems like it'd attract the obviously gigantic hidden mass of new players who adore freeze spam and metagames with only 2 viable teams.
    neomn, Ahboep, Slurmz and 5 others like this.
  8. Winterains

Winterains

free oras
    adv <3
  9. Klefkwi

Klefkwi It's Prime Time
    is a Pre-Contributor

give ORAS
    darrell1297 likes this.
  10. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry pig
    is a Pre-Contributor

no oras, no credibility
  11. Real FV13

Real FV13 It feels so empty without me
    is a Tiering Contributor

no gsc ubers, but cool
  12. darrell1297

darrell1297

oras or bust
    The Trap God and Klefkwi like this.
  13. Pearl

Pearl Love Galore
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

free rby ubers
  14. SparksBlade

is a Pre-Contributor

Here's an attempt at a satisfactory and acceptable explanation for the exclusion of ORAS.

The hosting team (Ari, Lacus, and me) had a majority vote for not having ORAS (Lacus was neutral, Ari and I voted against). The people that approved Classic in the first place: Fireburn, Hack, and Nayrz were also against having ORAS in Classic, so we had zero conflict.

To try and explain the reasons for our opinions:
    • We were set on ADV, DPP, and BW cos they actually have the old gen vibe to them. Adding ORAS Cup doesn't cause a problem in itself, but in playoffs we would have to do something funky with the 4 gens that we have. Having the higher seed eliminate a gen to make it Bo3, or add one of the gens again on random to make it Bo5 were the two options, and we liked neither.
    • ORAS isn't even a year old yet, being still quite fresh and without the "old gen vibe", so we all felt fine not having it in the Classic. The main purpose of Classic is to draw attention to the older gens that aren't played much now, get new players interested in them, and maybe redevelop and rediscover the meta. ORAS is still pretty fresh, and in no need of drawing people towards it.
    • Some people pointed out we could have added GSC to make it a total of 5, or replaced ADV to have DPP-BW-ORAS. For the former, I was open to consider it if adequate resources could be made available+interest was shown by the players. While Hack and co did come up with a handy resource section, in the subforum tour that I'm hosting, there have been plenty of inactive games that led me to believe GSC just won't work. Even with the added bonus of being an official tour, and providing points for both the Classic playoffs and Smogon Championship, I doubted(and still have no reason to believe otherwise) that GSC Cup will have sufficient quantity and quality. As for doing DPP-BW-ORAS, all of us were simply against it because, as said earlier, we didn't mind so much not having ORAS in the Classic, and ADV is widely accepted as a very fun Ubers gen and we just weren't willing to remove it.
    Next year, ORAS will definitely be in Classic, and we'll add one of GSC or SM to make it five(preferably GSC cos older, but only if people actually play it and there's interest). I know many players are upset that ORAS isn't in Classic, but please understand we had very good reasons for its exclusion.

I hope everyone has neutral luck and much fun in Classic!
    March Fires, Jhonx~, Minority and 8 others like this.
  15. analysis geek

analysis geek

i wish everyone luck in the classics. adv ubers interest me so ill be joining to test the waters. i will try to go far so whoever faces me bring their best. p.s: everyone pls have fun and remember hax is apart of the game so don't kill your opponent thanks :3.
  16. WreckDra

WreckDra The Piano Has Been Drinking,
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Neat! More potential gen 4 replays of varying quality to binge watch.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    byronthewellwell and CKW like this.
  17. PISTOLERO

PISTOLERO I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

I think XY should be considered as a stand-alone option in the future. I'd bet that a large percentage of players participating in this tour weren't around when XY was the current metagame, and the XY to ORAS mid-generation transition changed so many things that the two cannot be considered as the same tier.
    byronthewellwell likes this.
  18. sedertz

sedertz

free gsc ubers
  19. clefi

clefi

ive join bw ubers cup and i hope to learn this new and interesting tier. i can't wait to face other ubers players and gain experience in this tier. gl whoever is in this cup.
    CKW, hexed and steelskitty like this.
  20. kilometerman

kilometerman

free gsc ubers fuckin daddy smogon not wanting me to stall with anything other than chansey+msab >:(
  21. SparksBlade

is a Pre-Contributor

Spreadsheet for checking points and bragging rights: http://spo.ink/ubersclassic
    Red means player can't get any more points in respective cup(due to elimination or never having joined it). If you find any mistakes, please VM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Refer this to check how many points you should have (some of you may have won a round but not have the corresponding points, that is because I'm waiting for the respective host to add the win to the OP).

Requesting Arii Stella to add it to the OP.
    Lacus Clyne and Melle2402 like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)