Multi Gen Ubers Teambuilding Competition v2

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I got to this a day late because of some irl stuff, but the winner is: steelphoenix ! Congratulations, and thank you to all participants.

As per the request of Melee Mewtwo, we will be doing ADV this week. The Pokemon that you guys will be building with is none other than Gengar. It's no XY Mega Gengar, but it is still a viable Pokemon in the ADV metagame (so I hear). Please submit entries by next Sunday (as I'm not sure I will have time on Saturday that weekend).

Good luck!

Edit: steelphoenix's votes will have double weight from now on.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

La Espejisma (Latias) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The Bizzaro (Deoxys-Speed) @ BrightPowder
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Of A Dark Mind (Mewtwo) @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Furious Destroyer (Snorlax) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Lurking Phantasm (Gengar) @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion

Triple Alliance (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Ice Punch
- Thunder

This is my favorite team with Gengar, which was included as a spin blocker and as punishment to powerful Normal-type CB attackers. The secondary Ground immunity is nice as well, and ability to pivot into Snorlax is the icing on the cake. The set functions mostly as support; Fire Punch in particular is to smash Hidden Power Ghost Forretress. Will-O-Wisp serves to emergency check Groudon, Snorlax, and CB Rayquaza, and gives Gengar a method of punishing switch-ins in general. Silk Scarf is a very bizarre item choice, however Leftovers provide little to no utility due to Gengar's fragility so it was better off having a strong boom.

The rest of the team focuses on setting up a sweep with one of the three users of Calm Mind. The Deo-S set is designed to chip moderate holes with Knock Off robbing many Pokemon of their only means of recovery and Spikes wearing down defensive Pokemon. Taunt prevents being setup bait to Swords Dance Groudon, which is perhaps the largest threat to this team alongside Calm Mind / Psych Up Blissey. Snorlax was mandatory as a physical attacker that is able to threaten Blissey, Lati, and Regice, while it also serves to punish Choice Band Shadow Ball spam. The Jirachi set ensures an offensive check to bulky Calm Mind Latias, and provides a difficult switch-in for many rain teams. Mewtwo picks up some of the slack against the sun matchup, with Electric / Fire / Ice coverage being absolutely fantastic and difficult for teams to stop late game. Latias serves as the primary Kyogre check, and the use of Thunder on Jirachi also helps to deter this threat.

At times Snorlax can become a bit overloaded, which is problematic because it is the primary physical attacker on the team. Additionally, a well-played sun offense can be a challenge, although Latias can stop Calm Mind Ho-Oh cold while Snorlax forces CB Ho-Oh to think twice before spamming Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
Never played gen 3 ubers, oh well:

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Punch
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Hypnosis

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Claw

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Wish
- Pursuit

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Gengar's whole role on the team will be my hypnosis/taunt lead, with explosion. I can also beat variants of rayquaza, as I have ice punch and an immunity to e-speed.
The team is set in mind to either set up a calm mind sweep with latias, or slowly kill threats through stall or just with a choice banded ho-oh. The umbreon on this team has the purpose of stopping psychic threats like mewtwo, deoxys, etc. Heal Bell Blissey makes it so latias will still be able to sweep if statused, and to heal skarmory from rest (no need for sleep talk in this case). I can heal up my Ho-Oh with wishes and prevent my opponent from trying to switch out of baded sacred fires with spikes pressure.

Last edited:

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Rest

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rapid Spin

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 248 Atk / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 180 HP / 184 SpA / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

This is a pretty standard rain stall team I whipped up quite a while back. On this team, Gengar serves as a spinblocker and stallbreaker, efficiently breaking many teams with a layer or two of Spikes up. WoW+Taunt are obvious choices, while Hidden Power [Rock] 2HKOs Gengar's main counter, Ho-Oh. Attack investment was needed for HP Rock, so Shadow Ball was chosen as its final move to take advantage of that investment and harass psychics. To take advantage of Gengar's ghost typing and ability to cause switches, I added Forretress. Forretress fills two key roles for the team: hazard setting and hazard removal. It also checks mono-Lati and a variety of physical attackers thanks to it's typing. To round off my core of hazard control, I added Tyranitar, who Pursuit traps opposing ghosts so Forretress can spin reliably. EQ was chosen as its 4th move to hit CM Jirachi, who is a large threat otherwise. Next, I added BoltBeam Latias to counter Kyogre and check Groudon (mono-CM loses to Ogre and is a shitty Groudon check imo), two mons that every team needs to check. Blissey is a mandatory pick for stall, walling most special attackers, notably the Lati@s, and provides clerical support, another necessary tool for stall, so I added it as well. After analyzing my team, I added Bold Kyogre as a gluemon to patch some weaknesses (DD Ray, CB Ho-Oh, soft Groudon check, etc) and act as a nice win condition. Enjoy :]

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Overheat

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Recover

Lugia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Def / 144 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Shadow Ball
- Rest

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Explosion
- Fire Punch

This is a balanced team focusing on a CurseLax sweep. Snorlax is quite solid in ADV Ubers, shrugging off most special hits aside from boosted Latios Dragon Claws and Kyogre's Surf + hitting back pretty hard. Not too many things can stop a CurseLax sweep other than Skarmory, Swords Dance Groudon, Choice Band Metagross, and offensive Kyogre, so I just decided to run counters to those mons + Spikes to generally weaken softer Lax checks and make sweeping easier. Forretress was picked next - Spikes softens up a lot of Snorlax's checks such as Groudon and Metagross, and it has Rapid Spin to limit Skarmory's ability to do much when it tries to Spike on Snorlax. It also helps beat Dragon Claw Latis which Snorlax isn't as good at checking. CM BoltBeam Latias is the main Kyogre check + one of my two Groudon checks and a secondary win condition if I can get fat Steels + Blissey out of the way. Gengar's main purpose is to stop Forretress from spinning and just generally mess with stuff - it can get burns onto dudes like CB Tar/Meta, serve as an emergency Groudon check, take out troublesome mons with Explosion, and generally do decent damage with Ice Punch and sun boosted Fire Punch. It tends to be the least valuable member if the enemy team lacks a Spinner, however. Lugia is the primary check to Groudon and other physical mons such as Rayquaza, and it can also rack up damage with WW if Spikes are up and is good for Toxicing random things if needed. It's also my best switch into CB Lugia as it isn't 2HKOed by anything, though Aeroblast crits suck pretty hard. SD Overheat Groudon serves as a Skarm lure and generally potent physical wallbreaker that can potentially sweep lategame if Lax/Lati paralyze enough things.

TWave Kyogre can be annoying as Latias is the only real Kyogre check this team has, it's generally manageable due to Latias's heavy HP investment but it can suck to fight at times. CM Boom Mewtwo is also annoying, but that doesn't really have any counters anyway so it's a matter of predicting when it will explode lol.

Gengar's main niche in ADV Ubers is spinblocking (Sheddy is not a good answer to Forretress), so I feel like it has to be used with Spikes to not just be a worse Mewtwo.

everybody using xy minisprites should be automatically DQ'd smfh

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Gengar (M) @ Magnet
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Explosion
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Curse
- Explosion

Swampert (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rock Slide

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Metal Sound

I disagree with the above statement regarding Gengar. I do not think he is outclassed by Mewtwo if Spikes isn't present on the same team. Gengar may have inferior stats and movepool, but what he does have is an actually useful typing. A really good one actually.

This team aims to profit from the unique and bizarre sort of pressure Gengar can create. To explain some odds things behind the Gengar set itself: the attack EVs ensure you 2HKO min HP Latias, max speed to at least tie with them, and then the rest into Special Attack. Magnet helps compensate for the missing EVs and makes sure (or at least much more likely) that Thunder 2HKOs the electric weak targets it is meant for.

As for Gengar and the team, the idea is to abuse his excellent typing to bring him in early and often. From there, the opponent has a number of poisons to pick. Trying to sponge Thunders with a Lati leads to Shadow Ball and sometimes Explosion KOs, opening up teams for Kyogre and Zapdos. Trying to use Ground-types just ends up getting them burned where they are a much diminished threat to Zapdos and Curse Registeel. Trying to just tough it out with your specially bulky, but Thunder weak Pokemon, just makes Swampert's wall-breaking job a lot easier. Blissey and Snorlax risk an Explosion that will likely leave the opponent with little to stop Latios.

I could explain some of the remaining sets since they are bizarre but I don't want to distract the focus from Gengar and it's far better to just give the team a run yourself to see what it's about.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, the building part of this round is over. Here are the entries:

Minority Suspect:
z0m(no g)OG ;_;:
ZoroarkForever:
Fireburn:
Melee Mewtwo:

orch
Thugly Duckling
steelphoenix

Vote away; good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)