Unpopular opinions

Uuugh.. this thread had me rolling... i cant go through evwrything i disagree with its too much, but i suppose thats expected being these are "unpopular opinions"..

But honerable mentions
1: gen 1 sucks (you suck)
2: whitney isn't hard (we got a badass here)
3: people like vinillux design??? What?

Lols aside, no serious offense meant.

My turn:

1: I hate playing with legendaries... i feel like having one on my team is cheep.. plus i enjoy smashing people who run with tons of legends...

2: Gen 2 was the best... obviously the heart/soul versions were better but that being said, heart and soul were the best pokemon games too date...

3: Umbreon is the best pokemon ever... when you average in his playstyle and his design, hes just such a badass..

4: I like the game music and sound effects...

6: I think every single gen 3 pokemon looks like crap

7: Mewtwo is stupid... Mew is dope...

8: secret bases were awesome and should have stayed in x/y.. i really hope they're in S/M, along with chatacter customization..

9: the eon flute is absurd... fix flying so it works that way with any flyer...

10: Gary is better than ash... Elm is better than Oak...Hagitha was the coolest E4 member ever... victory road needs to stop being a cave...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
2: Gen 2 was the best... obviously the heart/soul versions were better but that being said, heart and soul were the best pokemon games too date...

4: I like the game music and sound effects...

8: secret bases were awesome and should have stayed in x/y.. i really hope they're in S/M, along with chatacter customization..

9: the eon flute is absurd... fix flying so it works that way with any flyer...

10: Gary is better than ash... Elm is better than Oak...Hagitha was the coolest E4 member ever... victory road needs to stop being a cave...
2 & 4. That's an unpopular opinion? :P

5. What happened to this one?

8. How could they stayed in XY if ORAS came after XY? Though I agree they should come back, from what we're seeing it doesn't look it. :(

9. Hopefully Sun & Moon's Charizard Fly will be soaring than the traditional Fly. Though if they do return Fly, yeah, wouldn't mind if thy gave us an option whether for it to soar or quick travel.

10p. How is Elm better than Oak? Not disagreeing or agreeing, it's just that Elm always seemed, there. Compared to other Professors he doesn't really stand out, heck Oak often overshadows him in HGSS so he's not really given much to do.

10v. Would be nice if Victory Road was, you know, a road. Jokes aside I'm thinking what else it could be. Maybe an entire route? A forest area? I would say tower but that feels cliche.

2 & 4. That's an unpopular opinion? :P

5. What happened to this one?

8. How could they stayed in XY if ORAS came after XY? Though I agree they should come back, from what we're seeing it doesn't look it. :(

9. Hopefully Sun & Moon's Charizard Fly will be soaring than the traditional Fly. Though if they do return Fly, yeah, wouldn't mind if thy gave us an option whether for it to soar or quick travel.

10p. How is Elm better than Oak? Not disagreeing or agreeing, it's just that Elm always seemed, there. Compared to other Professors he doesn't really stand out, heck Oak often overshadows him in HGSS so he's not really given much to do.

10v. Would be nice if Victory Road was, you know, a road. Jokes aside I'm thinking what else it could be. Maybe an entire route? A forest area? I would say tower but that feels cliche.

LMFAO @ 5...

Oak vs elm: professor elm seemed more personable... hes got you going too visit mr pokemon and gets you the egg, his buddy later gave you the ep share...

I guess it came down too professor elm always seemed to be professoring, researching eggs, evolution, etc. While oak was just always telling me what i couldn't use where..

My memory is vague but i believe you could also call elm and hed give you useful tidbits and interesting dialog when oak would just rate your dex...

In HG and SS oak says professor elm is the best when it comes to evolution, and he apparantly discovered breeding...

Oak made the empty pokedex and had all his aides do his work -.-

Edit: secret bases were in original gen 3.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
LMFAO @ 5...

Oak vs elm: professor elm seemed more personable... hes got you going too visit mr pokemon and gets you the egg, his buddy later gave you the ep share...

I guess it came down too professor elm always seemed to be professoring, researching eggs, evolution, etc. While oak was just always telling me what i couldn't use where..

My memory is vague but i believe you could also call elm and hed give you useful tidbits and interesting dialog when oak would just rate your dex...

In HG and SS oak says professor elm is the best when it comes to evolution, and he apparantly discovered breeding...

Oak made the empty pokedex and had all his aides do his work -.-

Edit: secret bases were in original gen 3.
Hm, I see, never thought about it that way.

Ah, you mean the original Secret Bases. Eh, Secret Bases to me didn't become interesting until they added the elements they did to it in ORAS, essentially making it into your own Gym. But as I said, Sun & Moon looks like will be focusing on a Join Avenue-type location instead of Secret Bases, but one can hope.

Also you may want to work on your grammar. While better than others I've seen, proper grammar is still preferred.

Honestly, I enjoyed Secret Bases in both games. The BIG problem with the original ones in RSE was that you could only get them by mixing records with physical people in real life. Gen 3 was essentially the lowest point for Pokemon fans my age or so and most of us were small in number and rather unassuming (at least from what I've seen). So, it was literally impossible for me to get like any Secret Bases added outside of my brother/myself. Now with ORAS and getting secret bases over Wifi, it took the already good concept and FINALLY breathed that last bit of life that it needed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I loved Secret Bases too. The idea of finding your own little corner of the Pokémon world, and furnish it in your own style, was really big. You could create your own little hideout, play hide-and-seek with friends, battle their teams, and as for your own base... well, come to think of it, the bases had a lot less functionality than I could remember. In Gen III, you could not heal your Pokémon there, or access your PC, or for that matter use any other mechanics. They looked neat, I suppose, and that was what we needed them to do.

In any case, I remember being really disappointed when I saw what had happened to the Secret Base system in Gen IV. Instead of carving out your cozy little hobbit hole in the overworld, you had to go down to Sinnoh's enormous, bland webwork of underground tunnels, where absolutely nothing distinguished one passage from the next, and locations were of little importance - you always returned to the same spot in the overworld afterwards, after all. Moreover, when your base was first established, you had to play a flag-capture minigame with friends to remove the rocks that were in the way of absolutely everything inside your base. The system I had loved was completely mangled, another reason why Diamond and Pearl are my least favourite Pokémon games. Why couldn't they have kept the Bases in the overworld?

ORAS redeemed Secret Bases, and fixed their shortcomings from Gen III. I can't remember if you can access your PC from a Secret Base, but you can heal your team, battle NPC trainers, receive items, and admire a wide variety of decorations, which include changed lighting and music. Not bad! Now we only miss being able to fly directly to our Bases...

I think it's a shame that Secret Bases seem to have fallen victim to Game Freak's "once or twice, then never again" strategy. The seasons and dynamic music of Gen V, the incredibly useful VS Seeker, the Battle Frontier, Hidden Grottoes, XY's Roller Skates... of all the things Game Freak have incorporated and later discarded, Secret Bases might have hit me the hardest. I loved that feature, to be able to claim a piece of the overworld for my little lair. Here's hoping future games will follow up on it, if only in spirit.

-Best Wishes in general: They axed Brock, Dawn and Pokémon contests. That alone is a grand improvement over DP.
This triggers me. I won't fight you about it, but it really, really does. Grats lol.

Anyway, the Dream World has got to be my favourite feature yet despite how unpopular it seemingly was. I loved exploring it and catching new pokemon while doing so, which resulted in me having pretty much all dream-ball compatible pokemon. Really, I don't think there's a single dream ball pokemon that I don't have--my only regret being that they're not all females.

Although this is probably my compulsive pokemon hoarding speaking, I never understood why people thought it was boring.

I have to say that I liked the Dream World while it lasted as well. The minigames weren't exactly fun, but I liked exploring the areas to find Pokémon. Too bad one could only log on for a single hour, only to wait for another 24, rather than resetting at midnight.

Also you may want to work on your grammar. While better than others I've seen, proper grammar is still preferred.

Try to understand that I'm typing on a phone that hates my fingers, and even the simplest of punctuation takes an act of congress with a democratic majority and a republican president with veto power.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I also liked the Dream World and its a shame that Pokemon never really fleshed it out. I feel they may have bitten off more than they could chew with it, they wanted to do more but didn't have the time/resources and overall decided to abandon it when Gen VI came. People spent a lot of time playing the Dream World, getting their Berry collection up, buying furniture, and decorating their houses. And then when Gen VI came it was like "well that was fun, now time to throw it all in the dump" and all those people got in the end for their time spent and work was some points and I think a medal.

Try to understand that I'm typing on a phone that hates my fingers, and even the simplest of punctuation takes an act of congress with a democratic majority and a republican president with veto power.
Oh, sorry, didn't now.

11: i never deemed DPP worthy of even trying... its the only pokemon game i not only didnt beat, but never even played... the third gen was so bad i wouldnt even touch pokemon until HGSS were released...

11: i never deemed DPP worthy of even trying... its the only pokemon game i not only didnt beat, but never even played... the third gen was so bad i wouldnt even touch pokemon until HGSS were released...
I've also never beaten D/P/P. The furthest I ever got was Volkner's city ( forgot its name ) and even then I never challenged him. No idea what the Victory Road & the Pokemon League even looks like and Cynthia is really the only champion I never got to battle, not even when she reappeared in BW&BW2.

Overall I loved the lore but once I was done with it I completely lost the interest in finishing the game.

I have something similar with that... but with Yellow and, to a certain extent, the Gen I remakes (I only defeated the Pokemon League on a ROM hack that only changed text, and nothing else, so it was practically the same thing. It was False Red, to be more exact)

Speaking of Diamond and Pearl, you know what feature I REALLY loved that's not in any other games? The Underground. In particular, I REALLY loved mining. That was one of my favorite minigames and it netted you SO many items. And in the postgame, you could find like half the fossils and get like a team of 6 Omastars all holding Helix Fossils for some reason. Through the underground, you would be able to find multiple copies of your own fossil allowing you to easily get and use them. Plus, you were able to find extra Arceus plates and evolutionary stones down there.

Ok, I didn't really enjoy the Underground 100% due to how it was like the same thing again and again, but the mining minigame was JUST the best.

It seems like its an unpopular opinion to actually like all the Pokemon games. I mean, some are better than others, but I feel like it's difficult to 'absolutely despise' one game/gen, but like the others, seeing as they are all roughly the same thing. It doesn't make any sense to me how someone can, for example, play through Pokemon Red version, then pick up Sapphire and be repulsed enough to quit pokemon or at least skip a few gens.

Speaking of Diamond and Pearl, you know what feature I REALLY loved that's not in any other games? The Underground. In particular, I REALLY loved mining. That was one of my favorite minigames and it netted you SO many items. And in the postgame, you could find like half the fossils and get like a team of 6 Omastars all holding Helix Fossils for some reason. Through the underground, you would be able to find multiple copies of your own fossil allowing you to easily get and use them. Plus, you were able to find extra Arceus plates and evolutionary stones down there.

Ok, I didn't really enjoy the Underground 100% due to how it was like the same thing again and again, but the mining minigame was JUST the best.
I agree. Mining in The Underground was really good (don't forget you could also get Shards that way!). It's basically the only item farming mechanic in the series that I did not because of farming routines but because I liked it.

I agree. Mining in The Underground was really good (don't forget you could also get Shards that way!). It's basically the only item farming mechanic in the series that I did not because of farming routines but because I liked it.
As i mentioned earlier i never played DPP but ive spent so much time "mining" in other games the thought scares me to death..

It seems like its an unpopular opinion to actually like all the Pokemon games. I mean, some are better than others, but I feel like it's difficult to 'absolutely despise' one game/gen, but like the others, seeing as they are all roughly the same thing. It doesn't make any sense to me how someone can, for example, play through Pokemon Red version, then pick up Sapphire and be repulsed enough to quit pokemon or at least skip a few gens.
It's more that given any set of items with differing characteristics people will rank and categorize them, it's human nature. And since negative tones ring the loudest people tend to exaggerate how bad the "worst" pokemon game ever is.

Kind of like being a bronze medalist. You lost, but you're still top class.

As for mining, that was really fun! It's not like Minecraft, it's got a little mini-game attached to it.

While I would still find it unreasonable, I think Gen III is the one where disliking it is most close to being understandable. It's the oddball of the series - as it's the only one that has no kind of compatibility with previous generations... which did not have good reception at all IIRC.

At least, I think that's where the series may have hit an all-time low. There's also the "problem" that many think of the game and the anime as the one and the same, and looking at what happened by then...

Last edited:
While I would still find it unreasonable, I think Gen III is the one where disliking it is most close to being understandable. It's the oddball of the series - as it's the only one that has no kind of compatibility with previous generations... which did not have good reception at all IIRC.

At least, I think that's where the series may have hit an all-time low. There's also the "problem" that many think of the game and the anime as the one and the same, and looking at what happened by then...
I mean, it's all based on opinion, but I'm not sure I'm grasping why you think gen 3 is the odd ball? I can't imagine that not having backward compatibility would take away from the games themselves, seeing as it would only be a limited postgame mechanic with no bearing on story or Pokemon(pre-postgame pokemon anyway haha). And also, FRLG essentially acted as an alternative to backwards compatibility, seeing as it give you a way to get the pokemon from gens 1 and 2, which is all backwards compatibilty does for you anyway. Gen 3 and 4 are my favorite games by far, but it seems that they (primarily RSE) get a large amount of hate in the fanbase, although probably much less than gen 5.

I mean, it's all based on opinion, but I'm not sure I'm grasping why you think gen 3 is the odd ball? I can't imagine that not having backward compatibility would take away from the games themselves, seeing as it would only be a limited postgame mechanic with no bearing on story or Pokemon(pre-postgame pokemon anyway haha). And also, FRLG essentially acted as an alternative to backwards compatibility, seeing as it give you a way to get the pokemon from gens 1 and 2, which is all backwards compatibilty does for you anyway. Gen 3 and 4 are my favorite games by far, but it seems that they (primarily RSE) get a large amount of hate in the fanbase, although probably much less than gen 5.
I do like RSE, but it does seem strange in some ways in comparison to both GSC and DPP - the (justified) lack of backwards compatibility is the most noticeable (though the Gen I remakes alleviate that), no day-night system outside of checking whether Eevee has to evolve to Umbreon or Espeon. IIRC these two things stood out in a non-positive way back then.

Not that I cared (Gen III is alongside Gen V in having the best Pokemon designs IMO), but I remember there were people who did.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I always saw Gen III as, more or less, the "awkward teenage stage" generation for the franchise for both the games and their fanbase.

By the time Gen II rolled out for the GBC, everyone still thought Pokemon was just a big fad that would disappear within a year or two, which is why the games mostly played it safe and essentially acted as an extension to RBY in terms of both region and Pokemon species. As for the fanbase, the games came out right after RBY, so pretty much everyone who loved and played RBY were still young and excited to eat up another round of Pokemon.

Fast-forward to Gen III, Hoenn was a first for the series in several different aspects, since the games started laying out the foundation that would follow for all modern Pokemon games. It was geographically cut off from the previous regions, and the new Pokemon were all new sets of evolutionary families (with the exception of Azurill and Wynaut) with noticeably different art styles from the first 251. The game mechanics were completely overhauled from the previous games, hence the incompatibility with the previous games. And the story of the games started to change a bit to become more involved with regional Legendary Pokemon, a trend which still persists today. The fans who grew up playing Pokemon were also entering Jr. high around this time; at this point, playing Pokemon for them wasn't "cool", but "gay and for little kids."

tl;dr: Gen III is the oddball because it was the first generation to really step away from its roots, and lay out the foundation for the other generations to follow. It was basically the transition generation for the franchise to enter maturity.

I guess Delibird's problem is kind of like Farfetch'd - a Pokemon that is as terrible in battles as rare as it is to find. As a result, it's either disliked or completely forgotten, even though they don't have bad designs per se.
Storytime:

Randbats are crazy, as it can turn low tier Pokemon into decent team members when used correctly.
I was in a GSC randbat and Delibird was really close to pulling off a complete sweep.

Hidden Power Flying let it beat the Machamp I was opposing, it survived a Dynamic Punch from Sneasel and never hit itself in confusion, and then it got a Freeze, twice.
If only Xatu hadn't unthawed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)