Unpopular opinions

Don't think to high of jotho, the freedom of path came with the horrible price of leveling being screwed there.

Of course, these are the opposites of jotho vs sinnoh, but saying that freedom is a good thing can sever the game experience drastically.
This is true, but I'd argue more that Johto just had a bad level curve and lack of training spots (compare route 37, 42, and 44 to the Lavender Town to Fuchsia stretch of 11 to 15). This is reinforced by the fact that when Johto becomes linear again the problem still persists (Victory road was pretty tame this time and none of the wild pokemon could really help you train). Plus, and this might be just me, but did the Johto routes seem shorter to anybody? Like, in comparison to all other gens? Might have been coming from hardware limitations of the Gameboy Color (which was confirmed as to why Kanto was so stripped down in GSC).

But that's also why I advocate semi-freedom. You've got choke points, but then some choices. It's just about balance.

Sinnoh is really it's own beast entirely. It's linear, but not linear like Unova, since while you don't get any freedom to your path you also don't get a straight one. Constantly backtracking (well, back-flying) to old town just to cross that newly opened part of the route with your new HM slave. So you've got this linear criss-cross mess of a path that mostly takes you back and forth and around and down Mt. Coronet. And don't get me started on the route to Snowpoint!

Unova, while unapologeticly linear, at least was simple. Sinnoh is more like what you get if you take the bad of linearity (roadblocks) with the bad of freedom (confusing paths, backtracking) and fuse them together.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, for further evidence of Sinnoh's ridiculousness, try doing anything in the postgame without using Fly. There are three locations you'd want to travel between: The Battle Zone, the Day Care and the Pal Park. They are located nearly as far from each other as geography allows, and walking between them is easily a ten-minute trip requiring half your team to be HM slaves (and you need a bunch of Repels). It's not practical to go anywhere meaningful on foot in Sinnoh after you've made the first trip, meaning that for the most part you'll just Fly across the region. Other regions are a lot more friendly to pedestrians, making most places accessible by foot without much hassle. Because of this, you will revisit a lot of places many times, and thus grow slightly more connected to them. Not so much in Sinnoh, where one trip through every route is more than enough.

This is true, but I'd argue more that Johto just had a bad level curve and lack of training spots (compare route 37, 42, and 44 to the Lavender Town to Fuchsia stretch of 11 to 15). This is reinforced by the fact that when Johto becomes linear again the problem still persists (Victory road was pretty tame this time and none of the wild pokemon could really help you train). Plus, and this might be just me, but did the Johto routes seem shorter to anybody? Like, in comparison to all other gens? Might have been coming from hardware limitations of the Gameboy Color (which was confirmed as to why Kanto was so stripped down in GSC).

But that's also why I advocate semi-freedom. You've got choke points, but then some choices. It's just about balance.

Sinnoh is really it's own beast entirely. It's linear, but not linear like Unova, since while you don't get any freedom to your path you also don't get a straight one. Constantly backtracking (well, back-flying) to old town just to cross that newly opened part of the route with your new HM slave. So you've got this linear criss-cross mess of a path that mostly takes you back and forth and around and down Mt. Coronet. And don't get me started on the route to Snowpoint!

Unova, while unapologeticly linear, at least was simple. Sinnoh is more like what you get if you take the bad of linearity (roadblocks) with the bad of freedom (confusing paths, backtracking) and fuse them together.
It's funny because that's what I actually liked the MOST about Sinnoh. It had a consistent centralized number of locations that you had to go around every time and it made the cities feel more like hubs in how you get to the different locations. Jublife was the home of the GTS, Hearthome gave you access to a different route in nearly every direction... It made everything actually more fun to me to see that now we have a little spot over in this side that opened up all because we got the tools needed to pass it now. Even if it's secretly super linear with the plot forcing you to go to certain areas in a specific order, there is always something nice about the illusion of having different paths.

In fact, the towns you only had to go to once actually felt the most lonesome because of how you didn't have to constantly pass through them. Snowpoint and Canaclave were the two biggest lonesome towns there because for the most part they were only there so you can get gym badges and then backtrack. But going to those towns help bring about the feel that this is all one big epic quest that you were on to sort of "unlock" the whole region. You had to travel far out of your way to get something in this one little outpost in the far side of the region in order to be able to go back and proceed on your main journey.

When I say that especially Gen V but also X & Y were painfully linear compared to other games, I mean that things didn't FEEL totally obvious. In Black and While I know that when I get to one city and can't progress much farther, I know that's because I need to do something in the general vicinity of that city in order to progress. Compare that to Sinnoh, where to solve the problem in Location A, you may need to go all the way to Location F first before you can go through Location A to Location B. It makes it feel that all these different locations gives you actual tools to traverse the wild world of Sinnoh.

-----

On the other hand, Codraroll, I feel the only games that really had a good arrangement of locations for the postgame were in Gen VI. In Gen III, IV, and V the day care centers were all over. Pal Park was far away in both sets of games in Gen IV and the PokeTransfer just feels far away because of the Marvelous Bridge adding a lot of extra time (though the experience allows you to play through it all without Repels at least, I'll give you that). ORAS, obviously, had the best ones because with the exception of the Hidden Power person, everyone was in the exact same location. XY had most of the necessary post-game content in Kiloude City so it felt sufficient there and with Talonflame acting as both a Flier and a Flame Body Pokemon it didn't feel that hard to travel between the Day Care and it. But it felt like I had no option but to just Fly around everywhere in Gens III, IV, and V. Whereas in ORAS's Postgame, after I got my Platinum Flag, I don't even feel the need to carry a Flier anymore since the only places I need to go are the Battle Resort, my Secret Base, and any Mirage Spot so Soaring is all I do now.

Actually, for further evidence of Sinnoh's ridiculousness, try doing anything in the postgame without using Fly. There are three locations you'd want to travel between: The Battle Zone, the Day Care and the Pal Park. They are located nearly as far from each other as geography allows, and walking between them is easily a ten-minute trip requiring half your team to be HM slaves (and you need a bunch of Repels). It's not practical to go anywhere meaningful on foot in Sinnoh after you've made the first trip, meaning that for the most part you'll just Fly across the region. Other regions are a lot more friendly to pedestrians, making most places accessible by foot without much hassle. Because of this, you will revisit a lot of places many times, and thus grow slightly more connected to them. Not so much in Sinnoh, where one trip through every route is more than enough.
I just would Fly/Soar anyway.

Sorry if this sounds condescending but, uh... who walks places in postgame lol

It's funny because that's what I actually liked the MOST about Sinnoh. It had a consistent centralized number of locations that you had to go around every time and it made the cities feel more like hubs in how you get to the different locations. Jublife was the home of the GTS, Hearthome gave you access to a different route in nearly every direction... It made everything actually more fun to me to see that now we have a little spot over in this side that opened up all because we got the tools needed to pass it now. Even if it's secretly super linear with the plot forcing you to go to certain areas in a specific order, there is always something nice about the illusion of having different paths.

When I say that especially Gen V but also X & Y were painfully linear compared to other games, I mean that things didn't FEEL totally obvious. In Black and While I know that when I get to one city and can't progress much farther, I know that's because I need to do something in the general vicinity of that city in order to progress. Compare that to Sinnoh, where to solve the problem in Location A, you may need to go all the way to Location F first before you can go through Location A to Location B. It makes it feel that all these different locations gives you actual tools to traverse the wild world of Sinnoh.
It sounds like your describing the metroidvania style of level layout, which certainly does have an appeal to it. I can definitely see what you like about Sinnoh, even if I don't agree with it. There is something to be said for hidden linearity, where the path is set, but it still feels like you're discovering it. "Hey, I just got surf. Bet there's something cool west of Jubilife! Let's go see!"

My feelings are just it was implemented haphazardly, but that's personal opinion. You do bring up the great point that the developers don't go into this with the intent of making bad game mechanics, they have some design goal that they are trying to show to the player. The fault just lies in how skillfully this is translated. Sinnoh wanted a mountain focus with lots of locations with multiple layers to show off the DS's capabilities in a pokemon game (which I blame the existence of Rock Climb on). The costs of this design choice just didn't appeal to me.

Contrastly, Unova wanted a back-to-basics set piece (the all unique pokedex) with great story emphasis, which necessitated more control in getting the player to specific locations to advance said story. Hence the roadblocks.

Bottom line, it's all cause and effect.

So if you like it, that's great. Heck, I'm still fond of Sinnoh despite new faults I'm finding in my replay so don't let me disgruntle you.

The reliance on HMs in Sinnoh wouldn't be so bad if they were implemented properly. I'm not only talking about the need for HM slaves, but also just how slow using HMs is. Want to smash that rock? Press A, press A again, watch a cutscene. Walk a few meters, repeat the same thing. This was somewhat fixed for Strength in later generations at least - use Strength once, push big rocks around freely. Sadly, that's an exception.

If it wasn't so bothersome I'd actually prefer HM roadblocks to Psyducks with headaches, simply because the former at least makes some kind of sense (most of the time).

If I'm able to not carry a freaking hm slave I'll take all the fatguys on a bridge dancing with psyducks while some X gang guy got a headache.

Trust me I'll take all of this nonsense, or just a "X professor call about how the plot doesn't want you to go there yet" insert text as my character steps back a tile over freaking hm cutting my team options, had to beat Sinnoh on 3 over leveled Pokémon that made Cynthia the so revered hardest champion of the franchise a ohko piece of garbage due to only using 3, you heard that, 3 of the entire Pokédex in Sinnoh due to freaking hm dependency.

Infernape fuck yeah, staraptor that freaking flies, and rozerade with flash!, underleveled hm slave 1, underleveled hm slave 2, underleveled hm slave 3...fuck yeah memorable gameplay.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I prefer a "broken bridge" to a natural HM obstacle with regards to railroading. At least with a broken bridge, I know that once the associated quest is resolved that it would be fixed permanently for the rest of the game and I do not have to compromise my party through the use of a HM slave or by giving my main Pokémon HM's that take up slots that could be spent on better moves. HM obstacles mean I have to restrict my party every time I pass that obstacle (Thank goodness Strength obstacles are now generally once-only as of BW) which gets really irritating if I want to, say, catch an Absol in Platinum, or fight Red in HGSS (both of which, shock horror, you cannot just fly to and call it a day!).

Seriously the HM escalation in Sinnoh was stupid (and is one of the several contributing factors as to why the Sinnoh games gets a lot of flak) and fixing it in BW was a really good decision.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sorry if this sounds condescending but, uh... who walks places in postgame lol
I like to do that, actually. When I'm going from somewhere to a nearby place, or if I don't have a Flyer on hand, I just hop on the bike and hit the road. It makes me much more familiar with the region, lets me appreciate the route designs several times, and occasionally I might stumble into a patch of grass and meet a Shiny. I try to avoid going through caves, routes with lots of "mandatory" grass, or surf for long distances, but most regions have pretty long stretches of road that allow for uninterrupted biking between places. Sinnoh does not have any, as far as I can remember. At least not between places you can do stuff.

I like to do that, actually. When I'm going from somewhere to a nearby place, or if I don't have a Flyer on hand, I just hop on the bike and hit the road. It makes me much more familiar with the region, lets me appreciate the route designs several times, and occasionally I might stumble into a patch of grass and meet a Shiny. I try to avoid going through caves, routes with lots of "mandatory" grass, or surf for long distances, but most regions have pretty long stretches of road that allow for uninterrupted biking between places. Sinnoh does not have any, as far as I can remember. At least not between places you can do stuff.
Ah, fair enough. I have admittedly done the same on occasion; but not really when I'm doing, say... practical egg-hatching, training etc. Just when I'm bored and have nothing to do. I can certainly see your point now.

I actually liked some of the roadblocks in several games, the dancing men in B2/W2 in particular as they showed that Game Freak aren't afraid to make fun of themselves once in a while. Would like to see more of that as opposed to less creative roadblocks.

Don't know if this is unpopular, but the high amount of HMs required in the Sinnoh games never really bothered me. I found it to be much worse in HG/SS to be honest. The cause of this might just be my general disliking of most things Johto-related, while I am a bigger fan of Sinnoh. On that topic, I think this is unpopular as well: Johto is my least favorite region. There are many reasons for this, but to put it short and simple: Johto as a region wasn't linear enough.

Last edited:
I actually liked some of the roadblocks in several games, the dancing men in B2/W2 in particular as they showed that Game Freak aren't afraid to make fun of themselves once in a while. Would like to see more of that as opposed to less creative roadblocks.

Don't know if this is unpopular, but the high amount of HMs required in the Sinnoh games never really bothered me. I found it to be much worse in HG/SS to be honest. The cause of this might just be my general disliking of most things Johto-related, while I am a bigger fan of Sinnoh. On that topic, I think this is unpopular as well: Johto is my least favorite region. There are many reasons for this, but to put it short and simple: Johto as a region wasn't linear enough.
But wasn't the hm's equal? HGSS just replaced Defog with Whirlpool.

Also In terms of non-linearity, other than the two way fork in the road at Ecruteak, Johto only had one path. Or are you referring to the post game in Kanto (which definitely was do-it yourself minus a choke point or two)?

Not criticizing your opinion, just trying to understand it.

But wasn't the hm's equal? HGSS just replaced Defog with Whirlpool.

Also In terms of non-linearity, other than the two way fork in the road at Ecruteak, Johto only had one path. Or are you referring to the post game in Kanto (which definitely was do-it yourself minus a choke point or two)?

Not criticizing your opinion, just trying to understand it.
Correct, it isn't the amount of HMs but rather the way they were used that got on my nerves. Johto is designed in such a way that you sometimes needed HMs for the smallest things (like using Cut to get certain Apricorn trees, or Rock Climb to reach Red) or you had to use some HMs in riduculous ways such as that one place in Mt. Mortar where you had to use Surf across several small ponds in a row which annoyed the heck out of me. This, combined with the fact that I couldn't stand the PC and touch screen systems in HG/SS (which I have gone over in previous posts in this thread), made it really annoying for me to use HMs in Johto compared to Sinnoh. That said, I do prefer the situations in Unova and Kalos where HMs are considerably less required both during the storyline, the post-game and for exploration in general.

That's pretty much it. It might seem small, but that's one major thing that put Johto at the bottom for me. If it wasn't for that, the region could have had a proper level curve, fixing one of its major problems right there. But it didn't, and that's why I prefer the properly linear and actually well designed regions like Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Hoenn and to some extent Kanto. Johto was too convoluted and not streamlined enough. Regarding Kanto, said region was terribly done in the Johto games since it was way too open which meant there couldn't be any level progression. It would have benefitted from having a set order for the Gyms as opposed to having the ability to go through all of them in any order (except for the last one, in HG/SS at least). I have gone over this previously as well, but having a large area in the post-game means nothing to me if there is nothing of interest there. And low-leveled Kanto Pokemon as well as no story whatsoever doesn't interest me.

Don't worry if you don't understand my opinions, I don't always understand them myself either.

As far as the HM situation, I think they need to be left off to the sidequest stuff, and other than natural obstacles like Surf or Rock Climb were, you shouldn't need the HM more than once if it's something like cutting a tree or pushing a boulder: what Pokemon is planting a new bush or pushing this rock conveniently back into the way of travel? From a gameplay perspective, HMs are restrictive in a manner contradictory to what I feel the battle side, the one most involving the Pokemon, entails. If I have a team of 6 favorites, but they don't include the natural HMs I need, either I have to constantly swap a slave in, or outright rework my team to include everything. It means I can't battle with my favorites. In an RPG like Final Fantasy, if they want you to use a Mage, they put Flan type enemies in a dungeon, rather than throwing a bunch of wooden blocks that your mages can burn but your knights can't cut for some reason. It's not helped by the fact that a lot of the HM moves, to me, feel like things that are either redundant, or should be natural effects: Strength, Cut (on anything learning moves like Slash, Fury Cutter, etc.), Dive w/ Surf, Fly, etc.

Roadblocks, on the other hand, do need to feel organic and fit into the narrative somehow. "Beef Gates" (ergo keeping you from an area via strong opposition) might require a small bit of scripting on top of the actual power level. Not losing money could be excused by saying they're trying to keep things moving, so they don't take your money and just throw you out; maybe it could be an endless stream of Grunts with a Pokemon Center Heal machine, so they heal as they rotate between you and you outright can't get by them until a power outage knocks out the machine, for example. Raiding a base taken over by a terrorist group (that's what most of these organizations kind of amount to technically) is something that either requires police intervention for a delicate situation, or a manner to sneak in and do it incognito, such as a back entrance. This has equal potential of becoming contrived though.

As far as "Pokemon can't attack humans" as a sort of moral law, the only case where I really would argue that is Team Plasma in BW, since the organization wasn't evil 100% through so much as misguided. Forcing your Pokemon to attack them would probably only help prove their points. But in the case of megalomaniacs like Cyrus or Giovanni, teams that only see Pokemon as a means to an end, I think they've thrown off that morality since they don't respect Pokemon as living creatures themselves. It's less like using the Pokemon as a weapon and more like holding your Dog back from pouncing an animal abuser at that point to me.

Every time I see the Pokemon vs. Human debate I keep thinking of: This is why we have Pokemon in the first place: to prevent this! Pokemon vs. Human rarely occurs probably because of the fact that both sides generally HAVE Pokemon. The evil teams never use it on you because they have to go through your Pokemon first and if you ever lose, you run away as fast as possible to a Pokemon Center so they probably never get the chance to hurt you. And you don't use it on trainers getting in your way, because this is not one of those games where you can do evil actions.

Every time I see the Pokemon vs. Human debate I keep thinking of: This is why we have Pokemon in the first place: to prevent this! Pokemon vs. Human rarely occurs probably because of the fact that both sides generally HAVE Pokemon. The evil teams never use it on you because they have to go through your Pokemon first and if you ever lose, you run away as fast as possible to a Pokemon Center so they probably never get the chance to hurt you. And you don't use it on trainers getting in your way, because this is not one of those games where you can do evil actions.
Isaac Asimov's three law of robotics:

1) A robot may never cause harm to any human
2) A robot may never disobey the orders of a human, except in cases where this would break the first law
3) A robot may never cause harm to itself, except in cases where this would break either of the first two laws

Replace "robot" with "Pokemon" and that's basically how Pokemon society operates.

2) A robot may never disobey the orders of a human, except in cases where this would break the first law
3) A robot may never cause harm to itself, except in cases where this would break either of the first two laws

Replace "robot" with "Pokemon" and that's basically how Pokemon society operates.
And since this doesn't apply to wild pokémon (we've all seen those creepy PokéDex entries) we can assume that these are carved into the brain of the pokémon you've caught. I don't have a better explanation to how they become calmer and more tolerant towards their trainer after being caught in the anime or the manga.

And since this doesn't apply to wild pokémon (we've all seen those creepy PokéDex entries) we can assume that these are carved into the brain of the pokémon you've caught. I don't have a better explanation to how they become calmer and more tolerant towards their trainer after being caught in the anime or the manga.
The Poke Ball actually tames them and reduces their overall power level to be easily controlled by humans until such a time the Pokemon reearns or surpasses its original power.

The three laws argument always bugged me since it's purely fictitious (although, since this is comparing one fantasy world to another).
*Edit: should clarify that it bugs me that one science fiction writer's idea becomes an excepted standard in all media. Like, even when unstated people expect robots to be 3 laws compliant unless explicitly told otherwise. That's just so backwards to me.

Besides, Pokemon already has a small explanation in the Canclave library myths. To the Mystery forum!

Last edited:
The three laws argument always bugged me since it's purely fictitious (although, since this is comparing one fantasy world to another).
*Edit: should clarify that it bugs me that one science fiction writer's idea becomes an excepted standard in all media. Like, even when unstated people expect robots to be 3 laws compliant unless explicitly told otherwise. That's just so backwards to me.

Besides, Pokemon already has a small explanation in the Canclave library myths. To the Mystery forum!
Canalave is filled with the poetized remnants of a bunch of peasants thoughts. Coming from the same region of rainbow Llama I would take those with a myth of salt.

People marrying their Pokémon... Don't give the yiffing side of the Fandom more ideas...

Reactions: JES
For the record, I believe many of Asimov's robot stories explicitly involved the loopholes and limitations and such of his laws of robotics.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think that any code of honor would be rendered null and void when a grunt taunts me, which is exactly what that Flare Grunt does. I think a Togetic would find what may come next abhorrent, while a Charmeleon or Charizard would find it completely justified. And the grunt doesn't exactly have to stand there and get burned. He can step aside, and accept his failure to stop us. I would start with a threat, and if the grunt calls it a bluff, I'll fire off a warning shot. That seems fair.
And that's still ignoring us using our Pokemon to just get around the obstacle using their abilities. Like in the Power Plant and Pokeball Factory what's stopping my Charizard from just flying me straight to the boss? I haven't hurt anyone, infact I hurt less Pokemon this way who are just trying to please their trainer. According to Pokemon lore there's no such thing as a bad Pokemon (though the descriptions of some of the Dark- and Ghost-types tend to disagree with that), all the Pokemon the villains are using are just doing what they're told. If anything knocking them out makes them feel they let their trainer down and even worst the syndicate member may think think his Pokemon is useless and criticize it if that grunt is a real jerk. #TeamPlasmaWasRight

Reminds me of practically EVERYTHING in Gen V. Instead of using HM barriers to force you to get the HM to progress, they force you to wait for some BS thing like that dance-off in BW2 preventing you from entering the Black City/White Forest too soon practically saying they're doing it to prevent you to leave.

I much prefer HM barriers since theoretically there's a real reason behind it and it would still "exist" after you are capable of passing it. Like my personal favorite was having to use Dive to go to Sootopolis since it was such a natural prevention that it just made sense. In fact, as soon as you finish the Team X Base, the game opened up widely and allowed you to explore the ocean without having any of that BS that prevent you from going to other routes. That just made it feel so much better and larger and without that frustrating thing of not being able to pass.
Now while I criticize the HM road block, there are ways to implement them so that they make sense. Or hey, maybe instead of having the HM being the only move that can get rid of a certain obstacle instead you learn ho to command your Pokemon to use a batch of moves to get past a certain obstacle, then being given the HM as to provide you with the most common way to get around obstacles. For example once you learn how to cut down trees you're given HM01 that a lot of Pokemon can learn and use to cut down trees, but there's other moves they could use too like Scratch, Slash, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Fury Swipe, etc.. That way it's the KNOWLEDGE of you learning how to properly command your Pokemon which allows you to past obstacles you couldn't before instead of an HM which does something you'd think you could have done with other moves.

As for getting around my above example, that involves more planning. You have to not let that be a question, like I can't just go to Giovanni in Silph Co. or the Rocket Warehouse because we're in a building so really no room to fly around and Giovanni is located someplace I can't just fly over into. The problem with the Power Plant and Pokeball Factory in XY is that its a big open space, you're telling me there's nothing I can do except follow the path littered with villains? As for flying over a tree instead of cutting it down, maybe have the item "in" the tree and the only way to get it is by cutting it (burning the tree might destroy the item). Or maybe the tree leads to a tiny grove (like the Hidden Grottos in BW2) that you can't access via flying into it (and burning it down would possibly destroy the grove as well, you have to cut).

Don't think to high of jotho, the freedom of path came with the horrible price of leveling being screwed there.

Of course, these are the opposites of jotho vs sinnoh, but saying that freedom is a good thing can sever the game experience drastically.
That's just poor game planning. There's a way to do open world and also steady level progression, though with GSC I wouldn't blame them if they didn't have the tech to do it at the time. Basically your opponent's level up as you do (probably by getting a badge), to make it easier on themselves they could have the movesets be all the same and just the Pokemon's levels and stat rise. I don't blame them not being able to do something like that in GSC, BUT I do criticize them for not fixing it in HGSS when they know its a problem yet didn't do anything about it.

The reliance on HMs in Sinnoh wouldn't be so bad if they were implemented properly. I'm not only talking about the need for HM slaves, but also just how slow using HMs is. Want to smash that rock? Press A, press A again, watch a cutscene. Walk a few meters, repeat the same thing. This was somewhat fixed for Strength in later generations at least - use Strength once, push big rocks around freely. Sadly, that's an exception.

If it wasn't so bothersome I'd actually prefer HM roadblocks to Psyducks with headaches, simply because the former at least makes some kind of sense (most of the time).
Yeah, never thought of that. Game, if I have a Pokemon that knows the proper HM move and I walk up to a tree, rock, or water and press "A" its because 99% of the time I want to use the corresponding HM on it. Only HMs you should get an alert about is Fly and Dive (as well a Dig and Teleport) since that could take you somewhere you don't want to go.

True, they could have just told the player the bridge was under maintenance and that would just be boring (and them literally making a "broken bridge").
Them having the dancers or seeing the dozens of people testing the bridge's capacity (because I'm sure that's safe and how it works...) is more funnier. The group of Psyduck in Sinnoh was about you being a good person, Cynthia immediately tells you what you need to cure the Psyduck so that becomes your next mission in the game. Yes its a road block, but also a morality moment for your character who goes out of their way to cure the Psyduck (also remember Psyduck release their psychic powers when confused so they could possibly do a lot of damage if left uncured).

As far as the HM situation, I think they need to be left off to the sidequest stuff, and other than natural obstacles like Surf or Rock Climb were, you shouldn't need the HM more than once if it's something like cutting a tree or pushing a boulder: what Pokemon is planting a new bush or pushing this rock conveniently back into the way of travel? From a gameplay perspective, HMs are restrictive in a manner contradictory to what I feel the battle side, the one most involving the Pokemon, entails. If I have a team of 6 favorites, but they don't include the natural HMs I need, either I have to constantly swap a slave in, or outright rework my team to include everything. It means I can't battle with my favorites. In an RPG like Final Fantasy, if they want you to use a Mage, they put Flan type enemies in a dungeon, rather than throwing a bunch of wooden blocks that your mages can burn but your knights can't cut for some reason. It's not helped by the fact that a lot of the HM moves, to me, feel like things that are either redundant, or should be natural effects: Strength, Cut (on anything learning moves like Slash, Fury Cutter, etc.), Dive w/ Surf, Fly, etc.

Roadblocks, on the other hand, do need to feel organic and fit into the narrative somehow. "Beef Gates" (ergo keeping you from an area via strong opposition) might require a small bit of scripting on top of the actual power level. Not losing money could be excused by saying they're trying to keep things moving, so they don't take your money and just throw you out; maybe it could be an endless stream of Grunts with a Pokemon Center Heal machine, so they heal as they rotate between you and you outright can't get by them until a power outage knocks out the machine, for example. Raiding a base taken over by a terrorist group (that's what most of these organizations kind of amount to technically) is something that either requires police intervention for a delicate situation, or a manner to sneak in and do it incognito, such as a back entrance. This has equal potential of becoming contrived though.
I sort of agree that just to get town to town you shouldn't need HMs. HMs should be used to access areas that are either off the path or in-story naturally be there like water you need to surf on or maybe the villain group hid the exist of their HQ behind some trees. But as you said there are other logical road blocks that can be used. I like your idea of the police investigating so you need to sneak in and now draw attention.

Before me move onto other topics, I also want to say that HMs are also considered annoying since many of them are weak or useless. If they make HMs more usable I think having a Pokemon learn it would lighten the annoyance of needing a Pokemon to know it:

First give some of them another type and/or secondary effect (the ones that are status effects should just have their effect buffed). Then I suggest for the ones that do damage have their Power depend on how any Badges you have. They start at 50 and gain 5 more points for every Badge, getting a final 5 points once you become the Champion (so in the end all of their Power would be 95). Here's my changes:

Cut: Make it a Grass-type clone of Super Fang. Maybe have a low Low LOW chance of 1HKOing effected by number of Badges.
Fly: Make it so it can get through/around Protect and its varients. Maybe also have it have an increased priority so on its turn it goes up first and attack firsts next turn.
Surf: Leave as is (except for the Power thing, obviously).
Strength: Change to Fighting-type and have it have chance of forcing the opponent to switch.
Flash: Leave as is though make it so that all opposing Pokemon are affected. Maybe give it a chance to drop Accuracy by 2 stages depending on how many Badges you have/beaten the League.
Whirpool: Turn it into a Water-type Magma Storm (aside from the Power, of course).
Waterfall: Leave as is.
Rock Smash: Change it to Rock-type and also have it decrease Special Defense.
Dive: Do as I suggested for Fly.
Defog: Leave as is, maybe depending on how many Badges you have it has a chance of only clearing the obstacles on your side of the field (or maybe put them on your opponent's side).
Rock Climb: Change to Ground-type.

Actually I think canonically you never lose. While for the most part I would imagine a grunt being perfectly happy chasing you away, there are some moments in the game that when you lose that running away doesn't seem like an option yet are able to anyway. Don't beat Groudon/Kyogre its the end of the world. Cyrus is about ready to reset the universe and only you battling him is stopping him. Ghetsis is insane, at least in BW2, and the only thing preventing you and N becoming icicles is battling him. Lysandre is like Cyrus except with mass genocide instead of a universe reset.

However I do see your point. The villain syndicate don't attack people with their Pokemon because generally the ones they'd really "need" to attack would be someone who also has Pokemon. Everyone else would be intimidated into doing what they say, but someone with their Pokemon they won't attack because scale of escalation; if they attacked the trainer that means the trainer, or more specifically the trainer's now angry Pokemon, would attack them. They don't want to get hurt so they instead aim to disarm and intimidate like they did with everyone else. But once they're out of Pokemon they give up and your the good guy so you won't attack an unarmed person.

Hmm, not quite. Pokemon HAVE attacked people (Lance's Dragonite attacking the Rocket Grunt) so that's rule one down. A traded Pokemon will disobey you if you don't have enough badges and they're higher level and its not because they don't want to hurt you but rather feel you haven't earned their respect; that's rule two gone. Rule three is a general preservation rule.

Not to mention the 3 laws were made to be imperfect. Asimov has a few stories where he messes around with the ideas of the 3 laws showing there are problems with it. Like in one story a guy rips off a robot arm and beats another guy to death with it, the story ending the robot short circuiting in an ally not only unable to stop the murder but also because it considered itself indirectly responsible for the murder since the murder weapon was its arm.

Also the 3 laws would hold back robotic research and development as it would stunt the robot's AI growth and certain ways to use robots (like there can't be a doctor robot which does surgery or give shots as that could in some way be considering hurting someone).

BUT that's a discussion for another forum, this is a Pokemon forum and Pokemon aren't robots (well, SOME are, but not exactly, you know what I mean).

Last edited:
Thanks God you are not in charge of balance, priority based fly was proven an annoyance by iron ball Talonflame, non negative priority phazing is terrible remember gen 5 don't you? Then the worst offender is ohko on chance... We reached the hypotenuse.

I don't mind buffing their attack power to make them useful, or just removing them altogether but making them fancy for the sake of fancy it's on a whole new level of wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)