Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
UncleSam said:
Pretty sure all we saw in the primaries was a bunch of people voting for Bernie then the DNC announcing Hillary won

Like is it even in dispute that the primaries were rigged
aha, the system where the candidate who wins is decided by for whom white people wail loudest, an american classic. What is actually indisputable is if this election was a boat race powered by entitled white tears the bernie and trump people would be steaming powerfully ahead while trying to find evidence of voter fraud despite bernie often beating his polls - ex. michigan. unless they were also rigging the results found by independent polling firms? maybe it's possible the white cushy liberal cabals (or conspiracy basements with breitbart chromecasted on the tv while mom pouring soup through the iv) that are claiming "rigging" happened need to examine what actual policy looks like - perhaps other people want more than "break up the banks using the sherman act", a thought so trenchant and good it's being had everywhere rn by politically invested hs sophomores in the shower after their first-career bong rips. but lol xd shillary wikileaks proved that she did in fact speak to the banks !!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Or, if you don't want to be patronizing, how about the fact that Hillary is a democrat and Bernie isn't. That alone was enough to make plenty of people skeptical. Open primaries are what got Bernie even close to the nomination. If only registered Democrats could have voted, Hillary would have won in a landslide.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I cannot fathom how either of these clowns have actual supporters.

Good lord, what have we done.

Both candidates are ass, if I said it once-I've said it a million times. If you think voting for either of them will have a positive outcome then okay. Watch and see what happens.

Clintons and Trumps go way back man. They are putting on an epic charade of shit-slinging but at the end of the election; one of these two will occupy the Oval Office. I'm pretty positive that they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to lure you like a lamb to the slaughter. I'm pretty positive all the well spoken and good intentioned TelePrompter speeches are fucking meaningless in the grand scheme.

These two set out to draw as much attention from third parties as possible and succeeded easily. Choosing a lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've got a feeling now that if he loses the election, in a year or so Trump will deny he ever ran for president.

"I didn't run for president, that would be stupid. I never wanted to be a president. I never said that. I would have been the best president in history, but I'm a businessman, a very successful businessman, and if I was president I wouldn't have time to run my business. I could easily have become president if I wanted, but I never said that. Yes, I would have been the best president ever, and had the best campaign ever and everybody would vote for me, but I never wanted to be president and I never tried to become one either. I'm the president of my very successful company, and that is enough for me. I never said I would be president of the United States, although I would have been a very fine president, probably the best ever."

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Every election sees a designated undecided everyman. Ken Bone's popularity still pales in comparison to Joe the Plumber, who we took years to figure out was a nut, and now people are already mad at Ken Bone for having a reddit comment history above par for Smogon (like, waaay above par).

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've got a feeling now that if he loses the election, in a year or so Trump will deny he ever ran for president.

"I didn't run for president, that would be stupid. I never wanted to be a president. I never said that. I would have been the best president in history, but I'm a businessman, a very successful businessman, and if I was president I wouldn't have time to run my business. I could easily have become president if I wanted, but I never said that. Yes, I would have been the best president ever, and had the best campaign ever and everybody would vote for me, but I never wanted to be president and I never tried to become one either. I'm the president of my very successful company, and that is enough for me. I never said I would be president of the United States, although I would have been a very fine president, probably the best ever."
doesn't matter. in every possible outcome her comes out better than he was before a candidacy. before he was just a rich fuck with a toxic echo chamber. now he's a national phenom who can possibly sway consensus. he's a much more visible and a legitimate force regardless of wheter or not he continues a career in politics. and he still hasn't even pledged any loyalty to the GOP.

the real damage won't even go away if he loses [i hope he does] but that he's yanked such a tear in politics that extreme nationalist right-wing has become legit. So much so that a militant pro-lifeer orthodox isolationist pro-war fuckhat like Mike Pence, who the GOP wouldn't touch with a bargepole last year, has become a perfectly viable candidate for 2020.

imagine someone with the politics of trump but can actually string together 5 sentences without contradicting himself or grabbing a pussy. *shudders*

totally calling #yeezus vs pence for 2020.

Trump feels like SNL is part of the conspiracy to ensure he doesn't get elected. His tweets were basically: WAHH! *sniff* You meanies!

Reactions: JES

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All the talk about supreme court nominees really makes me ill this election year. I view judicial activism as an absolute cancer in the country, no matter where it comes from or which political view it maintains. I believe that Scalia was a horrible individual that lived inside a private reality full of contradictions as he shaped america into whatever he wanted. Yet RBG, Kagan, Thomas, and basically every judge in some degree suffers from bias in their opinions. Bias is not going to go away, but I believe that a balance of opinion is very healthy so long as it does not preempt a decision on a case.

So to hear somebody say that we NEED to elect (X nominee for president) because we NEED to repeal (this law that a party doesn't like) really scares me. What's unconstitutional or not isn't up to the voter to decide, is it? A justice on the supreme court can't be right or wrong, can they? Stacking the court with people filled with the Right Opinions doesn't sit right with me. I'd love to see the supreme court challenge the law where 99% of senators from BOTH parties voted it was OK to sue another country. Fairly certain that'd be a 9-0 decision. But of course that's the benefits of not having your public opinion come into question every 6 years.

But even IF the SCOTUS is stacked in such a way that damages the country for a generation to come... couldnt a majority in the senate elect new judges, if that's what the people in america voted for their senators and voted for such a bill to be added? Such as the new deal judicial reform in the 30s. Is democracy damaged if >50% of people vote for trump? I don't really know to be honest.

Or we could just fucking hold a damn VOTE on the actual current justice nominee, Merrick Garland. Are you happy that the senate refuses to hold a hearing on him? I'm not. Will you be voting for your senator? Not the president, your senator? Because I will.

While I disagree that in this video there can be a "right thing," I completely agree that not voting yes or no on a subject is a horrible aspect of congress, and also the citizens when choosing state reps. Get out and vote, people, or in my opinion you have no right to criticize the decisions your state representative makes.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
This is the DEFCON Warning System. Alert status for 8 P.M., Thursday, October 13th, 2016. Condition code is Yellow. DEFCON 3.

Tensions between Russia and the United States have reached levels beyond the cold war in the recent week.
(http://defconwarningsystem.com/)
If you want nuclear war with Russia vote Clinton. I am now (well I would, I'm under 18) considering voting Trump and not Gary

EDIT:
All the talk about supreme court nominees really makes me ill this election year. I view judicial activism as an absolute cancer in the country, no matter where it comes from or which political view it maintains. I believe that Scalia was a horrible individual that lived inside a private reality full of contradictions as he shaped america into whatever he wanted. Yet RBG, Kagan, Thomas, and basically every judge in some degree suffers from bias in their opinions. Bias is not going to go away, but I believe that a balance of opinion is very healthy so long as it does not preempt a decision on a case.

So to hear somebody say that we NEED to elect (X nominee for president) because we NEED to repeal (this law that a party doesn't like) really scares me. What's unconstitutional or not isn't up to the voter to decide, is it? A justice on the supreme court can't be right or wrong, can they? Stacking the court with people filled with the Right Opinions doesn't sit right with me. I'd love to see the supreme court challenge the law where 99% of senators from BOTH parties voted it was OK to sue another country. Fairly certain that'd be a 9-0 decision. But of course that's the benefits of not having your public opinion come into question every 6 years.

But even IF the SCOTUS is stacked in such a way that damages the country for a generation to come... couldnt a majority in the senate elect new judges, if that's what the people in america voted for their senators and voted for such a bill to be added? Such as the new deal judicial reform in the 30s. Is democracy damaged if >50% of people vote for trump? I don't really know to be honest.

Or we could just fucking hold a damn VOTE on the actual current justice nominee, Merrick Garland. Are you happy that the senate refuses to hold a hearing on him? I'm not. Will you be voting for your senator? Not the president, your senator? Because I will.

While I disagree that in this video there can be a "right thing," I completely agree that not voting yes or no on a subject is a horrible aspect of congress, and also the citizens when choosing state reps. Get out and vote, people, or in my opinion you have no right to criticize the decisions your state representative makes.
Just putting this out there, Anthony Weiner was caught sexting teens. So if you think his word is valid, please don't be a hypocrite regarding Trump.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Well that's because the real state is classified, but this is still as good of a guess as we can get. And US Russia relations are getting worse...
If you don't know what the current defcon is, you don't know what the current defcon is. So what's the use of making posts where you know your basis is entirely false?

It's not even a "good guess". Declassified instances of Defcon 3 include the Yom Kippur War, Operation Paul Bunyan, and most recently the 9/11 attacks. I guess we can't know if we we were at Defcon 3 during the Crimean crisis, but it doesn't seem to fit the bill either, and even if we were, why would we be now?

You might have just said it's 3 minutes to midnight, cause that's a resource you actually have access to, but I guess since it's been that way for a year that's not new and scary and probably coincidentally timed enough for fear-mongering.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well that's because the real state is classified, but this is still as good of a guess as we can get.
If a site previously proven phony is as good as it gets, I think you should just disregard the question completely.

And if I remember correctly, Trump's stance on nuclear weapons basically boils down to "What's the point of having nukes if you're not going to use them?". And by that, he doesn't mean the US should disassemble its nuclear arsenal...

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/293970-clinton-treat-cyberattacks-like-any-other-attack
"
“As president, I will make it clear that the United States will treat cyberattacks just like any other attack,” the Democratic presidential nominee said. “We will be ready with serious political, economic and military responses.
Pretty sure any US Russia military war goes nuclear.
I mean you can critique whatever sources you want but the truth is Hillary = WW3 with russia.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Sources matter because you can't claim to know what is true or not if you can't tell the difference when using someone else to form the basis of your argument.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure which way most of you are going on this, but I'm near a boiling point on this whole election situation.

I'll be up front, I'm voting for Trump, no way will Clinton ever get my vote, neither did Bill back in the 1990s when most of you were probably not old enough to follow politics at the time.

I'm more bothered by the things Clinton has done rather than things Trump has said. With that in mind, things will only get worse until election day.

With the tensions between the US and Russia to the point there will be World War 3, don't be surprised if our power grid gets attacked Amerigeddon style in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)