Using Gravity to its fullest?

For 5 turns after this move is used, immunity to Ground-type attacks, as well as immunity to Arena Trap, Poison Spikes, and Spikes as a result of the Flying type, the Levitate ability, or Magnet Rise, is nullified. Further, the use of Bounce, Fly, Hi Jump Kick, and Jump Kick are prevented. If Fly or Bounce is in the process of being charged, the user immediately stops using the move when Gravity is used. During the effect, Evasion modifiers for all Pokémon on the field are lowered by two.
Ever since I started playing pokemon in G/S this move has always fascinated me. So after playing for about 6 months I think I have a good enough understanding of the game to attempt to make a fully funcitoning gravity team, though making the teams is where I always end up falling apart. So I decided to look at the properties of the move and break it down from there. I'd appreciate any help and assistance I can get as its not really that easy when I look at it more and more.

First of all. No one is safe from ground attacks and arena trap. So that gives earthquake along with Dugtrio a go. Revenge trapping someone and baiting them out with a sucker punch or an eq is always good.

Flyers are not hit by spikes and toxic spikes. This may prove useful has residual damage is free damage. Though I don't really see many flying types around, and stealth rock often nullifies them alone. Magnet Rise and Levitate (!!!) are nullified. That allows me to hit Azelf, Bronzong, Gengar, Cresslia. Among others with an earthquake thus rendering their common switch is to ground attacks useless.

I kinda theorymon'd up a team and I ended up with this:

I want a starter to be able to taunt poke's who often use first turn hypnosis/stealth rock. Can also use the turn the opponent is going to switch to set up something beneficial to the team (gravity, stealth rock). Also has the ability to scout what the opponent switches in the deal with the taunt (U-turn; Baton Bass) What I'm thinking about off the bat is Crobat.

A pokemon with a reiable recovery move and the ability to come and set up gravity multiple times if needed. (Blissey :( / Clefable - Magic Guard = lol stealh rock spikes)

Dugtrio as stated before, He's going to mush things up really well.

Now this is where I end up coming into problems; the first thing I thought about was using a Rampadros with Trick Room, but that may require too much setting up that may not happen against veteran players, though with throwing in lets say Hippodrown for Sandstorm increasing his spdef and allowing him to smash through using mold breaker with eq/pursuit/rocksmash/???

The second idea was to use faster hardhitting earthquakes with mixed movesets to deal with counters and revenge killers. I.E Chain Chomp, LO Aerodactyl, Crushking, etc.

I don't really know the best way to do this so throw your 2cents in!

Yes, I agree. I noticed you didn't cover the evasion lowering, meaning that low accuracy moves should hit more often (unless I misunderstand something). You may want to take advantage of this with hypnosis and powerful moves that aren't used as often as their lower powered but higher accuracy equivalents (fire blast, hydro pump, etc.)

Gravity is great and all, but it suffers from the same problems in standard as Trick Room does; it's only five turns and you can't extend it. That means you don't have much time to set up or anything while the effect is in play and you could possibly be stalled out (you'll only have three turns to abuse Gravity if you set it up then switch out), so some of the more complicated strategies might not work. Not to mention the pool of Gravity users is quite shallow (although this really isn't much of a problem since nearly every Gravity user can use the move well). This move really shines in doubles since two pokemon can abuse the effects at once, the games are more fast-paced making five turns a reasonably long time, and there's little possibility of getting completely stalled out, but then again I doubt you had a doubles team in mind when making this team.

Personally, I've not much luck with field effect teams in standard, but if I were you, I'd consider focusing more on abusing Gravity's evasion-reducing effects moreso than the flying-negation effects. What I mean is, EQ won't just flat out kill everything (Grass and Bug types still resist it, and some Levitators such as Cresselia may be able to take a hit from EQ anyway) and there are some really cool moves that have less than desireable accuracy for you to abuse, such as Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, Hypnosis, WoW, Cross Chop, Focus Blast, etc (although only having five turns again becomes a problem: the moves are unreliable outside of Gravity, and it will go out often).

But, anyway, I wish you luck in your pursuit.

What exactly are you suggesting here? You may want to list what learns Gravity. The team that is using Gravity is almost begging to be raped by Garchomp and his dragon brethren.

What exactly are you suggesting here? You may want to list what learns Gravity. The team that is using Gravity is almost begging to be raped by Garchomp and his dragon brethren.
Blissey, Clefable, Dusknoir, Jirachi, Probopass, Wigglytuff all learn Gravity. I'm learning more towards using Clefable as a primary Gravity setup. Then use Jirachi just incase the shit hits the fan.

Yeah, I didnt even think about a Garchomp running through my team without any lube. Can a Max Def +def nature clefable NOT be 2hko'd by Garchomps EQ? I don't know where to go to run any damage calcs.

I think it sounds interesting to play with Jirachi a bit. Gravity + U-Turn to get the real pokemon out, sort of like Bronzong with Trick Room + Explosion. (Similar resistances to Bronzong as well, but too bad he doesn't have that EQ immunity.) On his own, Serene Grace + Thunder + Gravity could result in some nasty surprises as well.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Actually there's some sort of error in everyone's thinking here. Accuracy of moves DOES NOT increase under Gravity. However, Evasion does decrease, by -2 stages. Effectively it does make less accurate moves hit more often, but just be sure to clarify the real effect.

A long time ago 3N3MY and I crafted a team that would use Gravity to it's fullest, I'll try to dig it up for here so it may help you out. The sad thing is that the team never took off at the time because Shoddy could not comprehend the move or something so we only got to use it on Wifi.

Edit: Turns out I can't find the topic anymore(I think it may have been a time thing). Although I can tell who was on the team, the movesets, and the spreads used. It involved 2~3 Gravity users, Jirachi, Dusknoir, and Blissey, although Blissey we were not sure about. The other guys were Tangrowth, Garchomp, and Heatran. Garchomp ran Dragon Rush and Heatran ran Magma Storm. For some reason he wanted Jirachi to know Doom Desire, which I was puzzled on. Let me know if you want everything.

A long time ago 3N3MY and I crafted a team that would use Gravity to it's fullest, I'll try to dig it up for here so it may help you out. The sad thing is that the team never took off at the time because Shoddy could not comprehend the move or something so we only got to use it on Wifi.

Excellent. That'd be really helpful for comparison purposes. I'm using a team now, since I found out about the gravity increase on shoddy. Its doing "okay" minus a few play mistakes on my end.

I'd like to point out Garchomp's Dragon Rush + Gravity in effect. It sounds obscene even for things like Bronzong who can deal with the mentioned Pokémon normally.

Essentially the most effective Gravity team goal is simple: To make Garchomp counters useless. Bronzong, Skarmory, Cresselia, Hippowdon, and Zapdos can no longer safely switch into Garchomp because Gravity allows for Earthquake to hit the steel levitators or for Dragon Rush to not miss.

If you think Garchomp is hard to counter in a regular Sandstorm team, just try to counter it in a beautifully crafted Gravity team. Good luck.

Now that you know what to center your team around, you should explore how to do it yourself. Nothing is more helpful than testing and learning by yourself. Good luck with the team.

I <3 Gravity.

Essentially the most effective Gravity team goal is simple: To make Garchomp counters useless. Bronzong, Skarmory, Cresselia, Hippowdon, and Zapdos can no longer safely switch into Garchomp because Gravity allows for Earthquake to hit the steel levitators or for Dragon Rush to not miss.

If you think Garchomp is hard to counter in a regular Sandstorm team, just try to counter it in a beautifully crafted Gravity team. Good luck.

Now that you know what to center your team around, you should explore how to do it yourself. Nothing is more helpful than testing and learning by yourself. Good luck with the team.

I <3 Gravity.
but don't forget sand veil is nullified by gravity so garchomp doesn't get all the benefit from gravity.

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 140 Spe / 116 HP
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Gravity
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Body Slam / Zen Headbutt
---

There's your lead. It can't Taunt, but it's not as if Stealth Rocks are a major concern.

Ever since I started playing pokemon in G/S this move has always fascinated me. So after playing for about 6 months I think I have a good enough understanding of the game to attempt to make a fully funcitoning gravity team, though making the teams is where I always end up falling apart. So I decided to look at the properties of the move and break it down from there. I'd appreciate any help and assistance I can get as its not really that easy when I look at it more and more.
This move was first introduced in the 4th gen o.o

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Might want to add a Bold 252/252 Suicune with Blizzard somewhere on the team. EQ is a 4HKO before a SD, and a 3HKO after one from a Jolly SD Chomp. Blizzard gets better from the evasion drop, so countering opposing Garchomps is easy squeasy!

I thought it was "easy-peezy" or somesuch.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make a Gravity team for a while now, but just never really got around to it. Ground/low-accuracy moves would probably be a feature of the team, while relying on resistances rather than Flying/Levitating immunities to the everpresent Earthquake. (This is where I get a vision of HP Ice Tangrowth.) I'm torn on whether or not (Toxic) Spikes would be present as well -- it would take advantage of the lack of immunity, but it seems like more trouble than it would be worth in the long run. I guess if you hate Zapdos with a passion...

And I'm going to completely lose my train of thought right about...here.

Slightly OT: I keep thinking Bronzong gets Gravity. o_O I must be mixing it up with Trick Room.

Although note the only downside to a gravity team is that you must act fast, otherwise it goes away too quickly and you must set it up again. Only 3-4 turns of benefit isn't the greatest thing, which I think TR teams work better in.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 252 spat / 4 HP
Modest Nature (+spat, -at)
- Gravity
- softboil
- thunder
- blizzard
how about this one? abuse the increase in hit rate and para, freeze hax

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've made a Gravity team in the past, and I actually used a Blissey almost exactly like that (slight EV variation). That on its own has the potential to be quite annoying, though you'll be relying on Thunder for its "hax" a lot more than Blizzard.

Between Blissey and Jirachi, I'd set up my Gravity, and use Garchomp and Dugtrio to abuse it. Being free to use lower accuracy moves on other Pokemon is also a huge plus - you just need to make sure that you don't leave yourself vunerable to Ground-type assaults (mostly from opposing Garchomp) once you've set up yourself!

Arrgh, I used to have that gravity team that wolt posted in my team files but it seems I edited it over with another team. I remember jirachi as the lead to start off gravity, with dusknoir and serenegrace blissey to start it up again. Banded adamant garchomp would abuse gravity but you needed tight prediction to use it to its fullest potential. This goes for all choice users but even more so for that set due to the limited turns of gravity. I think there was also scarf heatran and tangrowth who could take advantage of gravity with 100% accuracy magmastorm and sleep powder/power whip respectively.

Yeah 3N3MY posted it a long time ago, but the topic is gone now. I still have the team on my game though, and a list of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)