UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I'll be ending voting right now since we got a lot more votes which is great^^ and everyone is in favor of Swellow as the third teammate!

A Cake Wearing A Hat - 7
JoarAddamNessosin - 2

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-Turn
- Heat Wave / Sleep Talk
- Air Slash / Nothing

I really want to start encouraging more discussion as of now so these are the points I hope that we hit by the end of Round 4
  • Agreeing on Raikou's set. Due to the lack of discussion on the previous round, there wasn't a clear consensus on which Raikou set we will be running, so I would like some thoughts on which moves would be the best so we have a better understanding of the team's weaknesses and strengths.
  • Any changes you would like to see on the team so far. Remember that the team will not be set in stone until the very last round (which will be Round 6), so changes as small as item or EV changes to switching out a team mate altogether are encouraged.
  • Thinking about what the team struggles with so far so we can pick the best teammates to patch up those holes. As of now the biggest weaknesses I see are... there are definitely still more fyi
  • Mega Aerodactyl - Basically sweeps the team, and we have no reliable switch ins to this top tier threat
  • Mega Sharpedo - Also sweeps the team, and Raikou does get OHKO-ed by Crunch
  • Fire-types - We lack ways to deal with almost all the Fire-types such as Entei and Infernape while they can do a lot of havoc to the current team so far.
  • Dragon-types - Latias, Hydreigon, Haxorus basically do a lot of damage and we don't have ways to switch in or deal with them.
  • Hazard Stacking - VoltTurn teams like to pivot in and out so having hazard damage accumulate is less than ideal.
Now submissions for the 4th team mate will commence now!

Deadline for submissions will be on 4/6/2017 @ 5PM (PST)

Raikou @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Normalium Z
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch / Substitute / Hyper Beam / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-Turn
- Heat Wave / Sleep Talk
- Air Slash

Last edited:

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 27 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

While Scizor stacks a fire-weakness, I think its defog set has a lot to offer the team. Firstly, it helps out our problem with M-Aero, as bullet punch forces it out and roost lets Scizor check it consistently throughout the match. Likewise, Scizor smoothes out our difficult with M-Sharpedo. As long as Scizor is kept healthy, it can tank a hit and u-turn in the shark's face and kill it. Scizor also is a switch in to dragon moves, and can take draco meteors right on the chin. Furthermore, Scizor provides us w a reliable way to keep the field clear of hazards for swellow et al. The cherry on top is scizor is another leg to the volt-turn mechanism, with a slow turn bringing in our fragile big-hitters safely. Also Scizor and Heracross match really well. BUGS BUGS BUGS!

Obviously, picking Scizor would leave us with an even larger weakness to fire types, so the final two members of the team would have to help out in this area.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I believe that the best slashes to use on Raikou will be HP Ice and Volt Switch, considering our current team composition, as it will create the VoltTurn core we've been looking for with Swellow.

Also, I agree entirely with adding Scizor. It will be an essential member of this team, for more than one reason.

For future team members, however, I still think that the previous option, choiced Hydreigon (Specifically, a scarf set), will benefit us greatly due to giving us a fire resist and a check to all dragons aside from other scarfed Hydras, as well as more backup against Maero.
Hydreigon @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Far Too Many To List
- U-turn

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze / Toxic

I'll nominate Mantine to be a partner for this team. It helps the team by taking on the fire-types that it is currently weak to (although a potential thunderpunch from Infernape would be a problem). Defog support removes hazards for our VoltTurn team and Haze helps stop set-up sweepers like keldeo and scizor (toxic is always a nice option to consider, especially for something like slowbro). The EVs give it just enough to survive M-Aero's Stone Edge and we can try to cripple it with scald (plus it could also miss)

And I agree that Raikou's moveset should be Volt Switch / HP Ice / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind. As much as I love the Ghostium-Z set, this team is about momentum, so Volt Switch would be the better play.

About the current team, Id rather have that heracross scarfed, and mantine would mean triple rock weakness btw.

I wanna submit Hippowdon + Cobalion as they help solving most of the weaknesses while providing answers to other stuff. Since it's supposed to be a single submission, I'll nominate hippo thinking about the cobalion ahead.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def [idk em evs]
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind / Toxic
- Slack Off

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I nominate Cobalion as it gives us a way to beat Sharpedo, Dragons and also M-Aero while providing us with Rocks and an additional Volt-Turn user.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

This doesn't solve the hazard problem but we could maybe add bulky M-Aero for that in our next slot to beat both fire types and provide us with Defog support.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Took me a min to think of this one...surprised you guys actually went with Swellow, but it's pretty cool nonetheless so here's my submission:

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Roar
- Stealth Rock

They ain't released Steelixite yet and I'm bummed about that, but this is the next best thing...I've used it a bit in UU and base form Steelix is surprisingly decent, don't let its current lack of a Mega Evolution fool you. It's a very effective check to Mega Aerodactyl, Latias, Raikou, Magneton, and with the given EV spread, Mega Sharpedo. (The EVs allow Steelix to have enough Defense to only be 3HKOed by Mega Sharpedo with Rocks up, with the rest in SpD to be a solid answer to mons such as Latias) While Steelix doesn't exactly help being weak to Fire-types and is still a shaky check to Hydreigon and Haxorus, our team is at least given a reliable answer to several Pokemon that plague it (including Scizor if you opt for Roar) and access to Stealth Rock. Steelix can at least find support in its partners to deal with some of its own shortcomings--With Heracross and Raikou as teammates, bulky Water-types and even opposing Ground-types (dependent on Raikou coverage) are a non-issue.

If we were to go this route though, bear in mind that we are EXTREMELY weak to Keldeo (well really, almost every Fighting-type) thus far, weak to Fire-types, lack hazard removal, and if we go CM + Volt Switch on Raikou (I'm still thinking Ghostium Z is the way to go personally) then Heracross and Swellow are pressured a lot more heavily to deal with the bulkier Ground types as well as Blissey for Raikou. Right now also, our only means of stopping Blissey assuming we picked Steelix is Heracross, and only Heracross. So keep that in mind while picking teammates as well, because that is kind of a huge issue for any team featuring two special attackers as part of their offensive core.

Honestly it was either I submit this or Swampert

Gonna give my thoughts on the shape of the team so far!(: ( I'll edit in other ideas/changes if i can think of them )
First of all I believe that for the raikou set we should be running Tblot/HPIce/Sub/CM with lefties because we already have two nukes to go alongside raikou being swellow and heracross. Swellow has a very good matchup against offense and heracross against fatter mons and so raikou isn't really needed to have the massive wallbreaking power that a Zmove gives while Sub/CM Raikou gives us something to both aid heracross in breaking fatter teams and swellow with dealing with weakened offensive threats while also being a very reliable wincon.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Gonna give my thoughts on the shape of the team so far!(: ( I'll edit in other ideas/changes if i can think of them )
First of all I believe that for the raikou set we should be running Tblot/HPIce/Sub/CM with lefties because we already have two nukes to go alongside raikou being swellow and heracross. Swellow has a very good matchup against offense and heracross against fatter mons and so raikou isn't really needed to have the massive wallbreaking power that a Zmove gives while Sub/CM Raikou gives us something to both aid heracross in breaking fatter teams and swellow with dealing with weakened offensive threats while also being a very reliable wincon.
On second thought, I rather agree with this. Swellow doesn't necessarily need to be on voltturn after all, and subCM raikou is a fantastic wincon for our team.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Sorry voting was very late, I was stuck at work and forgot that I had an earlier deadline this time around :[ Anyways without further ado...

Simonquinlank - Bulky Defog Scizor

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 27 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

While Scizor stacks a fire-weakness, I think its defog set has a lot to offer the team. Firstly, it helps out our problem with M-Aero, as bullet punch forces it out and roost lets Scizor check it consistently throughout the match. Likewise, Scizor smoothes out our difficult with M-Sharpedo. As long as Scizor is kept healthy, it can tank a hit and u-turn in the shark's face and kill it. Scizor also is a switch in to dragon moves, and can take draco meteors right on the chin. Furthermore, Scizor provides us w a reliable way to keep the field clear of hazards for swellow et al. The cherry on top is scizor is another leg to the volt-turn mechanism, with a slow turn bringing in our fragile big-hitters safely. Also Scizor and Heracross match really well. BUGS BUGS BUGS!

Obviously, picking Scizor would leave us with an even larger weakness to fire types, so the final two members of the team would have to help out in this area.

A Cake Wearing A Hat and JoarAddamNessosin - Choiced Hydreigon
I agree with tbolt/shadowball/ice/cm for the slashes unless we do volt turn which seems like a good choice atm given how offensive the meta is right now. Maybe tbolt/ice/cm/switch paired with >>>

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Far Too Many To List
- U-turn

Specs hydra makes a great SpA breaker while Scarf acts as a pretty decent form of speed control/as a revenge killer. It also fors a great volt/turn core with raikou helping to break down bulky cores. Draco+Dark Pulse deal consistent damage and the coverage move can be tailored to whatever we end up needing(fire balst, earth power, iron tail, superpower, flash cannon, aqua tail?, focus blast or tailwind(on a predicted sac?))

OrangeGuru - Mantine
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze / Toxic

I'll nominate Mantine to be a partner for this team. It helps the team by taking on the fire-types that it is currently weak to (although a potential thunderpunch from Infernape would be a problem). Defog support removes hazards for our VoltTurn team and Haze helps stop set-up sweepers like keldeo and scizor (toxic is always a nice option to consider, especially for something like slowbro). The EVs give it just enough to survive M-Aero's Stone Edge and we can try to cripple it with scald (plus it could also miss)

And I agree that Raikou's moveset should be Volt Switch / HP Ice / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind. As much as I love the Ghostium-Z set, this team is about momentum, so Volt Switch would be the better play.

Godfather 4 - Hippowdon
About the current team, Id rather have that heracross scarfed, and mantine would mean triple rock weakness btw.

I wanna submit Hippowdon + Cobalion as they help solving most of the weaknesses while providing answers to other stuff. Since it's supposed to be a single submission, I'll nominate hippo thinking about the cobalion ahead.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def [idk em evs]
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind / Toxic
- Slack Off

Ov3r Ac3 - Offensive Stealth Rock Cobalion
I nominate Cobalion as it gives us a way to beat Sharpedo, Dragons and also M-Aero while providing us with Rocks and an additional Volt-Turn user.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

This doesn't solve the hazard problem but we could maybe add bulky M-Aero for that in our next slot to beat both fire types and provide us with Defog support.

CoolStoryBrobat - Steelix
Took me a min to think of this one...surprised you guys actually went with Swellow, but it's pretty cool nonetheless so here's my submission:

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Roar
- Stealth Rock

They ain't released Steelixite yet and I'm bummed about that, but this is the next best thing...I've used it a bit in UU and base form Steelix is surprisingly decent, don't let its current lack of a Mega Evolution fool you. It's a very effective check to Mega Aerodactyl, Latias, Raikou, Magneton, and with the given EV spread, Mega Sharpedo. (The EVs allow Steelix to have enough Defense to only be 3HKOed by Mega Sharpedo with Rocks up, with the rest in SpD to be a solid answer to mons such as Latias) While Steelix doesn't exactly help being weak to Fire-types and is still a shaky check to Hydreigon and Haxorus, our team is at least given a reliable answer to several Pokemon that plague it (including Scizor if you opt for Roar) and access to Stealth Rock. Steelix can at least find support in its partners to deal with some of its own shortcomings--With Heracross and Raikou as teammates, bulky Water-types and even opposing Ground-types (dependent on Raikou coverage) are a non-issue.

If we were to go this route though, bear in mind that we are EXTREMELY weak to Keldeo (well really, almost every Fighting-type) thus far, weak to Fire-types, lack hazard removal, and if we go CM + Volt Switch on Raikou (I'm still thinking Ghostium Z is the way to go personally) then Heracross and Swellow are pressured a lot more heavily to deal with the bulkier Ground types as well as Blissey for Raikou. Right now also, our only means of stopping Blissey assuming we picked Steelix is Heracross, and only Heracross. So keep that in mind while picking teammates as well, because that is kind of a huge issue for any team featuring two special attackers as part of their offensive core.

Honestly it was either I submit this or Swampert

also we will be voting on the Raikou set, keep in mind it won't be set in stone until Round 6.

Raikou @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch / Substitute / Hyper Beam / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Basically how voting for the set will work is that you will fill in all the blank spaces for the set. Replace <item>, <move 3>, and <move 4> with what you would like to see. Let me know if you have questions!

Voting Ballot
Raikou @ <Item>
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- <Move 3>
- <Move 4>

Deadline for Voting will end on 4/7/2017 @ 9PM PST

Ive been messing with what we have so far and im gunna vote

Cobalion

Lefties+hp ice+switch

And for rai i really like how z-ghost works to break stuff but with hera+bird i found
Lefts+tbolt+cm+ice+volt really did work best, hera puts in alot of work if it can out speed threats but is otherwise kinda deadweight against faster teams geting 1 knockoff off usally and then dying but the volt/turn core works out great. Specs burst is great and the extra base spe actually make a huge difference vs hydra. In the last spots ive done coba+water type+either defog or maero

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)