UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

the thing about picking a steel type now is that it does not solve our fire weakness, so I think Steelix and Scizor wont solve our issues, with Steelix not having recovery and Scizor being just a bad set. I will vote cobalion however, because it does partially solve the other half of our issues.

I'll go with this weird raikou set, suggesting toxic here since both ghostium-Z and shadow ball in practice may be somewhat disappointing and z-hyper beam already breaks past most of the non-blissey specially bulky stuff.

Raikou @ Normalium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind

the thing about picking a steel type now is that it does not solve our fire weakness, so I think Steelix and Scizor wont solve our issues, with Steelix not having recovery and Scizor being just a bad set. I will vote cobalion however, because it does partially solve the other half of our issues.

I'll go with this weird raikou set, suggesting toxic here since both ghostium-Z and shadow ball in practice may be somewhat disappointing and z-hyper beam already breaks past most of the non-blissey specially bulky stuff.

Raikou @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind
I point by point went through in my post how scizor helped all the other issues identified by HotFuzzBall apart from the fire weakness. I'm a bit puzzled by you declaring it a bad set without any sort of engagement with my actual argument. Seems a bit rude at least.

In any case, I vote for Hydreigon. As for Raikou, Leftovers, HP Ice, Volt Switch.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Alright, Round 5 of submissions will commence, and we will be adding Cobalion to the roster. Also I apologize for the tardiness.

Ov3r Ac3 - 3
Simonquinlank - 1
CoolStoryBrobat - 1
Godfather 4 - 1
A Cake Wearing A Hat and JoarAddamNessosin - 1

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

As for the Raikou set, this was the most popular choice

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-Turn
- Heat Wave / Sleep Talk
- Air Slash

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
Tagging CoolStoryBrobat to see if he has any discussion points to add ^^

Deadline for Round 5 will be 4/10/2017 @ 9PM PST

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
These were the discussion points I found from the submissions
- Swords Dance Heracross -> Scarfed Heracross
- (This is my own fyi) Switching out Swellow for Hydreigon. Swellow to me sticks out since it doesn't really provide much for the team, I feel that if we are really steering towards VoltTurn, I believe Hydreigon would probably be the better choice.

I would like input on these 2 discussion points.

As for the weaknesses the team still has...
  • Mega Aerodactyl - Basically sweeps the team, and we have no reliable switch ins to this top tier threat
  • Mega Sharpedo - Also sweeps the team, and Raikou does get OHKO-ed by Crunch
  • Fire-types - We lack ways to deal with almost all the Fire-types such as Entei and Infernape while they can do a lot of havoc to the current team so far.
  • Dragon-types - Latias, Hydreigon, Haxorus basically do a lot of damage and we don't have ways to switch in or deal with them. (Ehhh)
  • Hazard Stacking - VoltTurn teams like to pivot in and out so having hazard damage accumulate is less than ideal.
  • Fighting-types - Still lack switch-ins. While Swellow can deal with them, Fighting-types such as Infernape and Conkeldurr may have Mach Punch while Scarf Keldeo can put a lot of pressure
ALSO! This is a good time to start suggesting changes on what we already have!

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
alright so here's my suggestion for how to deal with at least 3 of the 4 issues we've got left:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Offensive LO Starmie will provide us with a fighting and fire check as well as hazard control all without letting up on that offensive pressure, which all together is fantastic for our team so far. In addition, ice beam can be used to pressure dragons, which we struggle with.

If we pick this, we'll probably want some form of scarfer that beats common dragons in our last slot, since we still won't have too too much to deal with superfast mons or dragons.

EDIT: Also not really grooving on swellow with this team tbh. I know I suggested it, but I really didn't expect it to win by such a large margin.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not to intentionally steal from the post above me, the minute I saw Cobalion was the chosen mon for our team and that we have issues with Fire- and Fighting-types, as well as no hazard removal yet, Starmie was the first thing that came to my mind before I started scrolling down. But my suggestion is somewhat of a twist on the above:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Bulky Starmie pretty has the needed longevity to act as the main Fire/Fighting/Hazards check for our team. Considering how pivotal its role is, it needs as much health as it can afford to have. With a team full of hard hitters I think we can afford to run bulky Starmie in spite of its lack of offensive presence, since most of its roles are defensively used anyway. Also another thing for us to check Mega Aerodactyl with, so the bulk is not unwelcome if you ask me.

As for discussion, Scarf Heracross is one that I'm not against but I'd like to see how our last two slots are used before considering changing it to Scarf. That's just how I build, though. I mean yeah, we have Cobalion on our team so the Blissey issue isn't as huge anymore, but things like Blissey + Ground-type are still going to be a nightmare to go up against, period without a really strong breaker. Given that we have Swellow (I'm not against changing that either) our matchup against Offense isn't so horrible that we NEED a Scarf on Heracross. It's really our matchup against bulkier teams now that stands out to me...bulky teams that we only have a fighting chance (no pun intended) against because of Heracross runnning Swords Dance.

Dragons are still a nightmare tho, and sadly Starmie does not add much that really helps deal with them, assuming we went with that.

CoolStoryBrobat said:
Bulky Starmie pretty has the needed longevity to act as the main Fire/Fighting/Hazards check for our team.
If its bulk what you want to run I'd go Mega-Stoise over Starmie.

I'd rather keep swellow for now, but I'm really not satisfied for not having anything faster than aero.

To me it feels like we have a solid idea on what the offensive pieces of our team look like, so I would now go for:
1. A ground pokémon to take them volt switchers
2. Something to set momentum
3. Something to deal with aero

And with that in mind I'll drop this really slow Gliscor here as submission.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I second the swellow switch for hydreigon as it gives us a fire resist and if we go ahead with that then i suggest we add,

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam

This Togekiss would give us a Dragon Check, Hazard Control and a Fighting check. This also beats Infernape's without Gunk Shot as Hydreigon doesn't.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 56 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Coverage

Fire check/aero check/dragon check/hazzards removal
The evs need to be fixed but the speed beats someshit on csb's speed chart. Stoice already hits pretty hard and with the breakers we already have i think a speed mark+ bulk will be the way to go. Dark pulse beats the latis and gives a pretty good neutral move+launcher. Scald for stab+fishing♡. Spin to spin. And the last slot can be pretty much anything. I didnt list ice beam right off because lati is the most common dragon atm. Stoice should probably be mixed bulk to eat a few common fire/ground atks. Idk what im doing guy its 6am here so if this is a mess my bad.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Time to vote!!!!

A Cake Wearing A Hat - Offensive Starmie
alright so here's my suggestion for how to deal with at least 3 of the 4 issues we've got left:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Offensive LO Starmie will provide us with a fighting and fire check as well as hazard control all without letting up on that offensive pressure, which all together is fantastic for our team so far. In addition, ice beam can be used to pressure dragons, which we struggle with.

If we pick this, we'll probably want some form of scarfer that beats common dragons in our last slot, since we still won't have too too much to deal with superfast mons or dragons.

EDIT: Also not really grooving on swellow with this team tbh. I know I suggested it, but I really didn't expect it to win by such a large margin.

CoolStoryBrobat - Bulky Starmie
Not to intentionally steal from the post above me, the minute I saw Cobalion was the chosen mon for our team and that we have issues with Fire- and Fighting-types, as well as no hazard removal yet, Starmie was the first thing that came to my mind before I started scrolling down. But my suggestion is somewhat of a twist on the above:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Bulky Starmie pretty has the needed longevity to act as the main Fire/Fighting/Hazards check for our team. Considering how pivotal its role is, it needs as much health as it can afford to have. With a team full of hard hitters I think we can afford to run bulky Starmie in spite of its lack of offensive presence, since most of its roles are defensively used anyway. Also another thing for us to check Mega Aerodactyl with, so the bulk is not unwelcome if you ask me.

As for discussion, Scarf Heracross is one that I'm not against but I'd like to see how our last two slots are used before considering changing it to Scarf. That's just how I build, though. I mean yeah, we have Cobalion on our team so the Blissey issue isn't as huge anymore, but things like Blissey + Ground-type are still going to be a nightmare to go up against, period without a really strong breaker. Given that we have Swellow (I'm not against changing that either) our matchup against Offense isn't so horrible that we NEED a Scarf on Heracross. It's really our matchup against bulkier teams now that stands out to me...bulky teams that we only have a fighting chance (no pun intended) against because of Heracross runnning Swords Dance.

Dragons are still a nightmare tho, and sadly Starmie does not add much that really helps deal with them, assuming we went with that.

Godfather 4 - Swords Dance Gliscor
If its bulk what you want to run I'd go Mega-Stoise over Starmie.

I'd rather keep swellow for now, but I'm really not satisfied for not having anything faster than aero.

To me it feels like we have a solid idea on what the offensive pieces of our team look like, so I would now go for:
1. A ground pokémon to take them volt switchers
2. Something to set momentum
3. Something to deal with aero

And with that in mind I'll drop this really slow Gliscor here as submission.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Ov3r Ac3 - Defog Togekiss
I second the swellow switch for hydreigon as it gives us a fire resist and if we go ahead with that then i suggest we add,

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam

This Togekiss would give us a Dragon Check, Hazard Control and a Fighting check. This also beats Infernape's without Gunk Shot as Hydreigon doesn't.

JoarAddamNessosin - Offensive Mega Blastoise
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 56 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Coverage
Fire check/aero check/dragon check/hazzards removal
The evs need to be fixed but the speed beats someshit on csb's speed chart. Stoice already hits pretty hard and with the breakers we already have i think a speed mark+ bulk will be the way to go. Dark pulse beats the latis and gives a pretty good neutral move+launcher. Scald for stab+fishing♡. Spin to spin. And the last slot can be pretty much anything. I didnt list ice beam right off because lati is the most common dragon atm. Stoice should probably be mixed bulk to eat a few common fire/ground atks. Idk what im doing guy its 6am here so if this is a mess my bad.

Also I'd like to look at more discussion for replacing Swellow during the next round ^^

Deadline - 4/11/2017 @9 PM PST

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
and Starmie takes the 5th slot!

CoolStoryBrobat - 5
A Cake Wearing A Hat - 2

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-Turn
- Heat Wave / Sleep Talk
- Air Slash

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Deadline for submissions will be 4/15/2017 @ 9PM PST

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I second Nightingales' nom for the replacement; HP fire latias with a fourth move of healing wish would be quite beneficial for our current team. Scarf hydra would once again also work as a replacement, so I'll make that my own nom I guess if I have to do that.

As for mon 6, I feel that we could still use a good answer to dragons. So, I'm gonna go for the #1 most splashable mon in UU right now and suggest T-wave Clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

This set would provide us with a fire move for Scizor, a dragon check, some minor speed control in T-wave, and another Maero answer thanks to the max defense investment. I can't really think of any other mon that can do all of this for our team than this boyo right here.

I feel that starmie fits the team quite nicely and is a good addition but maybe swapping swellow for something like Mega-Aero would be beneficial as it keeps us with a ground immunity which this team desperately needs to deal with ground types from spamming EQ along with something to out speed Zydog. Realistically anything that gives us a ground immunity will probably work in this spot. I think the problem I have with swellow is that Scarf Krook terrorizes this team and even if we have cobalion with shuca, if the switch is predicted or cobalion is weakened/wittled ( Lefties>Shuca imo )it becomes a serious threat while something like Mega-Aero or other options mentioned help to relieve that pressure unlike swellow. IF we decide to replace swellow with Mega-Aerodactyl here is the spread I think fits the team best!
Mega Aero.png
(Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws
- Taunt
I think this set is so underrated ( i also hate missing crucial stone edge's :pirate:) and lets Aero break and sweep teams very easily as it can setup on fatter mons that would try to status/recover/phaze it out by taunting it along with all the other mons M-Aero naturally beats.

I agree with most of the above suggestions like Scarf Hydra, HP Fire Latias and Clefable, but to offer my own suggestion I propose Scarf Keldeo:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Scarf Keldeo outspeeds MAero and KOs with Hydro Pump or Scald after Rocks. Icy Wind provides a way to take out Dragons like Zydog while providing some speed control for the rest of the team. Keldeo is another way to handle fire types. The comment above mentioned Scarf Krook as a problem for the current team, but Scarf Keldeo takes care of Krook as well!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
I feel that starmie fits the team quite nicely and is a good addition but maybe swapping swellow for something like Mega-Aero would be beneficial as it keeps us with a ground immunity which this team desperately needs to deal with ground types from spamming EQ along with something to out speed Zydog. Realistically anything that gives us a ground immunity will probably work in this spot. I think the problem I have with swellow is that Scarf Krook terrorizes this team and even if we have cobalion with shuca, if the switch is predicted or cobalion is weakened/wittled ( Lefties>Shuca imo )it becomes a serious threat while something like Mega-Aero or other options mentioned help to relieve that pressure unlike swellow. IF we decide to replace swellow with Mega-Aerodactyl here is the spread I think fits the team best!
View attachment 80749
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws
- Taunt
I think this set is so underrated ( i also hate missing crucial stone edge's :pirate:) and lets Aero break and sweep teams very easily as it can setup on fatter mons that would try to status/recover/phaze it out by taunting it along with all the other mons M-Aero naturally beats.
I agree with maero a lot for this team as the Swellow replacement as well. However, we've already got two setup mons on our team. It might be better to run a set with 3 atks + taunt, in my opinion.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alright voting will now commence, I'm a bit rushed atm so I'll have the entries brief

also please vote for both the 6th slot and the Swellow replacement!!

For the 6th slot
A Cake Wearing A Hat - Defensive Clefable

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

OrangeGuru - Choice Scarf Keldeo

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

For a Swellow replacement, note that you can also vote for "I want to keep Swellow" as well

Nightingales + A Cake Wearing A Hat - Healing Wish / Life Orb Latias

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bengsu - Mega Aerodactyl

Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws / Earthquake / Aqua Tail
- Taunt

Voting will end on 4/16/2017 @ 9PM

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)