UU Vaporeon

QC Checks: dodmen dingbat Hikari GP Checks: Psywaves P Squared

Overview
#######

Vaporeon has a great HP stat, allowing it to pass large Wishes to teammates, and it has good Special Defense and decent Defense to complement this. It has access to great supportive moves such as Heal Bell, which allows it to act as a cleric, and Baton Pass, which can retain momentum and work well with Wish. Water Absorb allows Vaporeon to gain some free switches, and Vaporeon pairs well with a lot of pokemon. However, Vaporeon does have its flaws as it can be set up on if it lacks Roar or Haze, and it can be walled completely by Pokemon such as Roserade if it chooses to try to deal with these sweepers.

Wish
#######
name: Wish
move 1: Wish
move 2: Scald
move 3: Protect
move 4: Heal Bell / Roar / Baton Pass
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 204 HP / 248 Def / 56 SpD
nature: Bold / Calm

Moves
========

Scald has a high burn chance and does decent damage due to Vaporeon's high Special Attack stat. It is a spammable move, and burning foes can help at whatever point of the game you may be in. Wish provides Vaporeon and its teammates with recovery and can allow it to give free switches to teammates and heal them if they are weakened. Protect allows Vaporeon to scout for moves, recover from Leftovers, get crash damage on Mienshao, and get a Wish off. In addition, it also allows you to scout Choice-locked Pokemon and switch in to the appropriate teammate after seeing their move. Heal Bell gets rid of all status effects that your team might have been inflicted with, while Roar phazes foes and prevents Vaporeon from being setup bait. Baton Pass can gain momentum, and if Vaporeon used Wish the previous turn and moves last the turn it Baton Passes, team members can be healed up at no cost. Ice Beam hits Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Hydreigon, and Haxorus, which resist Vaporeon's STAB moves, with Haxorus being able to set up on it. Toxic can to be used to cripple switch-ins or stall alongside Wish and Protect.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizes Vaporeon's overall bulk. A Bold nature lets it take on the likes of Darmanitan, Mienshao, Krookodile, and other physical attackers better, while Calm can be used to help stand up to Pokemon such as Nidoqueen, Hydreigon, Nidoking, and Mega Blastoise. Leftovers is used for extra recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Vaporeon can be sent in on a wall or weak Pokemon so it can recover its health or help teammates heal up. When it is facing an offensive Pokemon at a good amount of health, Scald should be used because of its high burn chance and decent damage output. Heal Bell should be used to help Vaporeon's teammates when they are crippled with status, though if you have a Guts user with a status condition, you may have to make a choice between weakening it or healing teammates.

Team Options
========

Vaporeon works well on balanced teams that appreciate Wish and cleric support. Vaporeon's weaknesses are covered in a Fire / Water / Grass core with Pokemon such as Entei, Infernape, Darmanitan, Chandelure, Roserade, Shaymin, and Whimsicott. Vaporeon can pair well with Stealth Rock setters; for example, Vaporeon works well with Mega Aggron and Forretress, as it covers their Fire weaknesses and provides Wish support, which they appreciate, as they do not have reliable recovery. In addition, they can take Grass-type moves for Vaporeon. Dragalge appreciates Wish support from Vaporeon, as entry hazards can wear it down, and it resists Electric- and Grass-type moves, which are super effective on Vaporeon. Hydreigon and Mega Ampharos are alternative Dragon-types which also have good type synergy with Vaporeon.

Other Options
#######

A spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Bold nature can be used to give Vaporeon slightly more rounded bulk. A Baton Pass set with moves such as Substitute and Curse can pass boosts to teammates. Haze can be used as another way to deal with bulky boosting Pokemon such as CurseLax and Calm Mind Reuniclus, as Roar's negative priority gives them a chance to attack Vaporeon, but Roar is usually better because it can mess with their switch-ins and deal with other boosting Pokemon as well.

Checks and Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Vaporeon is walled by opposing Vaporeon, and Suicune can set up on it and PP stall it with Pressure if it doesn't have Roar.

**Setup sweepers**: Many Pokemon can use non-Roar Vaporeon variants as setup bait and proceed from there to sweep your team. Toxicroak can set up on it easily thanks to its Water immunity, and Calm Mind users take Vaporeon's attacks very well and can deal huge damage back to it after boosts.

**Grass-types**: Roserade can cause major trouble to Vaporeon, as Sleep Powder cripples it, while Giga Drain and Leaf Storm deal massive damage to it, with Giga Drain allowing Roserade to recover possible Life Orb damage. Whimsicott with Encore or Taunt can ruin Vaporeon without Ice Beam, and offensive variants can easily recover from Scald damage with Giga Drain. Mega Abomasnow can set up easily or attack Vaporeon with super effective STAB moves. Shaymin does massive damage with Seed Flare and has great special bulk to take Ice Beam. Chesnaught can use Leech Seed and sap Vaporeon's massive HP or just lay down Spikes, but it is fearful of burns, as they can wear it down.

**Electric-types**: Mega Ampharos takes hits from Vaporeon well, even Ice Beam, and does an enormous chunk of damage to it in return. Electric-types can also use Volt Switch, which either takes a chunk out of Vaporeon's health or gains momentum for the opposing team.

Last edited:
This is a great analysis, but just a small nitpick. I'd capitalise Water in Scald's description and also mention that it's a move that can be spammed without any drawbacks, fishing for burns in either early / mid-game help tremendously in late game and can even decide how some battles end up. Lovely analysis; I'd love to see your work gradually get even better than this, good luck!

This is a great analysis, but just a small nitpick. I'd capitalise Water in Scald's description and also mention that it's a move that can be spammed without any drawbacks, fishing for burns in either early / mid-game help tremendously in late game and can even decide how some battles end up. Lovely analysis; I'd love to see your work gradually get even better than this, good luck!
Implementing this, thank you

As Zygarde is now gone, should I remove ice beam from the main set and put it in OO? after that, I should be ready for first check

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but I got some recommendations of my own after (over)abusing Vape on a cubic ton of my teams. I actually like 204 HP / 248 Def / 56 SpD Bold on my Vaporeon. The EVs are pretty much identical but it makes your physical bulk slightly better. Not by much but you may as well be aiming for maximum efficiency with any defensive spreads. I run Bold, cause it is pretty important to allow Vaporeon as a bulky Water to check physical threats like LO Darmanitan, Mienshao, Krookodile, etc. a lot better, in my opinon. Calm is a solid viable alternative because you stand up to Mega Blastoise, Hydreigon, and the Nidos better but honestly I think it's team-dependent and both natures should be slashed based on what you need to check more.

Ice Beam can probably just be mentioned in the Moves section, since it's still viable for hitting Chesnaught, Hydreigon, and Haxorus (who actually can set up on Vape) for a lot more damage without fishing for a burn. Toxic is also worthy of a mention there, since Vape plays pretty much almost identically to Alomomola except with a stronger Scald and no Regenerator. On the slashes I'd probably change the 4th slot to: Heal Bell / Baton Pass / Roar now. Roar is an underrated yet usable choice because it keeps Vaporeon from being preyed upon as setup bait by like...literally every CM user in this tier, even Suicune, and Curselax. Phazing is also handy and it can cause foes to take additional damage from hazards, which is pretty welcome. Haze is also usable for the same purposes and you could probably also mention this move in the Moves section. The thing with Haze is it's only better overall if Vaporeon needs a way to rid slower bulky sweepers like CM Reuniclus and Curselax of their stats without having to take a hit; otherwise Roar accomplishes the same purpose and can really screw with the opponent.

In Other Options you can probably make mention of a set using Curse or Substitute + Baton Pass, cause that's really the only other thing I see it doing with its movepool, and Toxic/Roar are actually viable choices on it. In Checks & Counters, you can probably just remove "Dry Skin Users" (Heliolisk is an Electric-type anyway so it'd fit better in a different section) and just change it to "Setup sweepers" since the majority of setup sweepers in the tier can use Vaporeon as bait, unless it runs Roar or at least Baton Pass to escape to a revenge killer. Suicune, Curselax, Cresselia, Reuniclus, Lum Haxorus, and Celebi are all examples of Pokemon that can safely set up on Vaporeon and threaten it. Under Grass-types you need to make mention of Abomasnow, Shaymin and at least Chesnaught. Shaymin can blow Vaporeon away with Seed Flare while having the bulk to eat an Ice Beam, while Chesnaught can hurt it badly with Wood Hammer and even set Spikes/Leech Seed up as Vaporeon is forced out. Chesnaught at least has to watch for Scald burns. Mega Abomsnow resists Scald and also eats Ice Beam and can set up Swords Dance or just hurt Vaporeon with Wood Hammer/Giga Drain. Under Electric-types, you oughta remove the mention of AV Raikou since it's actually not used in this tier. You can instead just say that Electric-types all threaten Vaporeon with their STAB moves and can use Volt Switch to gain momentum as it's forced out. Mega Ampharos should be mentioned since it also resists Scald, and Raikou can possibly set up Calm Mind for free against Vaporeon. Rotom-H threatens Vaporeon as well, but it has to be cautious of Scald.

Damn I was in the middle of writing something but Brobat noscoped me. I'm pretty sure his post covers literally everything I had to say. Particularly, the fourth moveslot should be Heal Bell / Roar / Baton Pass, with Ice Beam, Toxic, and Haze mentioned in Other Options. Roar is really good, way better than Baton Pass (still not quite sure why people use BP but leave it slashed in there cause they say it's good). But yeah, look over what Brobat said cause there's good stuff in there, Imma approve this when you work that stuff into your analysis (especially the fourth slot).

Edit: QC 1/3

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I use a 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD Calm nature one myself. Not sure who told you to do 200 HP... that's not even a leftovers number.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use a 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD Calm nature one myself. Not sure who told you to do 200 HP... that's not even a leftovers number.
I guess he just c/p'd the spread from the previous analysis, as that is the spread that was used.
Also, I really think that the overview should explain a bit more about vaporeon and its role in the tier, despite it being a pretty one-dimensional mon.

Not QC but I got some recommendations of my own after (over)abusing Vape on a cubic ton of my teams. I actually like 204 HP / 248 Def / 56 SpD Bold on my Vaporeon. The EVs are pretty much identical but it makes your physical bulk slightly better. Not by much but you may as well be aiming for maximum efficiency with any defensive spreads. I run Bold, cause it is pretty important to allow Vaporeon as a bulky Water to check physical threats like LO Darmanitan, Mienshao, Krookodile, etc. a lot better, in my opinon. Calm is a solid viable alternative because you stand up to Mega Blastoise, Hydreigon, and the Nidos better but honestly I think it's team-dependent and both natures should be slashed based on what you need to check more.

Ice Beam can probably just be mentioned in the Moves section, since it's still viable for hitting Chesnaught, Hydreigon, and Haxorus (who actually can set up on Vape) for a lot more damage without fishing for a burn. Toxic is also worthy of a mention there, since Vape plays pretty much almost identically to Alomomola except with a stronger Scald and no Regenerator. On the slashes I'd probably change the 4th slot to: Heal Bell / Baton Pass / Roar now. Roar is an underrated yet usable choice because it keeps Vaporeon from being preyed upon as setup bait by like...literally every CM user in this tier, even Suicune, and Curselax. Phazing is also handy and it can cause foes to take additional damage from hazards, which is pretty welcome. Haze is also usable for the same purposes and you could probably also mention this move in the Moves section. The thing with Haze is it's only better overall if Vaporeon needs a way to rid slower bulky sweepers like CM Reuniclus and Curselax of their stats without having to take a hit; otherwise Roar accomplishes the same purpose and can really screw with the opponent.

In Other Options you can probably make mention of a set using Curse or Substitute + Baton Pass, cause that's really the only other thing I see it doing with its movepool, and Toxic/Roar are actually viable choices on it. In Checks & Counters, you can probably just remove "Dry Skin Users" (Heliolisk is an Electric-type anyway so it'd fit better in a different section) and just change it to "Setup sweepers" since the majority of setup sweepers in the tier can use Vaporeon as bait, unless it runs Roar or at least Baton Pass to escape to a revenge killer. Suicune, Curselax, Cresselia, Reuniclus, Lum Haxorus, and Celebi are all examples of Pokemon that can safely set up on Vaporeon and threaten it. Under Grass-types you need to make mention of Abomasnow, Shaymin and at least Chesnaught. Shaymin can blow Vaporeon away with Seed Flare while having the bulk to eat an Ice Beam, while Chesnaught can hurt it badly with Wood Hammer and even set Spikes/Leech Seed up as Vaporeon is forced out. Chesnaught at least has to watch for Scald burns. Mega Abomsnow resists Scald and also eats Ice Beam and can set up Swords Dance or just hurt Vaporeon with Wood Hammer/Giga Drain. Under Electric-types, you oughta remove the mention of AV Raikou since it's actually not used in this tier. You can instead just say that Electric-types all threaten Vaporeon with their STAB moves and can use Volt Switch to gain momentum as it's forced out. Mega Ampharos should be mentioned since it also resists Scald, and Raikou can possibly set up Calm Mind for free against Vaporeon. Rotom-H threatens Vaporeon as well, but it has to be cautious of Scald.
Thanks for all this info and the suggestions, added all of them

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
"If using Baton Pass, running 30 speed IVs can be useful so opposing Vaporeons cannot scald your switchin."

That should say "If using Baton Pass, Vaporeon should always run 29-30 Speed IVs in order get off the Wish + Slow Baton Pass against opposing Vaporeon and other base 65s."

tehy

Banned deucer.
That should say " " because its speed creep (yes reverse creep counts)

Edit: actually, i guess 30 IV is kind of like outspeeding uninvested. That's the limit though

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You should probably mention Celebi under Grass-types in C&C

In moves you should also mention how Protect makes Mienshao kill itself lol and how if you use it against a Choice item user, you can switch into the appropriate counter.

You sort of allude to this in Team Options, but you should also mention how Grass-types can take Electric- and Grass-types aimed at Vaporeon, an Fire-types can take Grass-type moves, but shouldn't be constantly switching in on them because they're not that bulky / not really defensive mons. Also maybe mention how Vaporeon can handle remove Fire-types that trouble the aforementioned Grass-types and Steel-types such as Jirachi and Aggron

Edit like #5 mention how steels also take Grass-type attacks and resist Dragon-type moves from the ones switching in on Vaporeon

#6 mention other Dragon-types like Hydreigon and Mega Ampharos alongside Dragalge as they're both really good Dragon-types

Last edited:
You should probably mention Celebi under Grass-types in C&C

In moves you should also mention how Protect makes Mienshao kill itself lol and how if you use it against a Choice item user, you can switch into the appropriate counter.

You sort of allude to this in Team Options, but you should also mention how Grass-types can take Electric- and Grass-types aimed at Vaporeon, an Fire-types can take Grass-type moves, but shouldn't be constantly switching in on them because they're not that bulky / not really defensive mons. Also maybe mention how Vaporeon can handle remove Fire-types that trouble the aforementioned Grass-types and Steel-types such as Jirachi and Aggron

Edit like #5 mention how steels also take Grass-type attacks and resist Dragon-type moves from the ones switching in on Vaporeon

#6 mention other Dragon-types like Hydreigon and Mega Ampharos alongside Dragalge as they're both really good Dragon-types
Implemented these suggestions, thanks

If using Baton Pass, Vaporeon should always run 30 Speed IVs in order get off the Wish + Slow Baton Pass against opposing Vaporeon and other base 65s.
This is just some silly reverse-speed creeping. The Speed isn't trying to hit any specific benchmark, it's there to rely on these Pokemon not running the same or less Speed IVs, despite the fact this is going to be the standard IV spread on site. This isn't much better than running 4 Speed EVs to Roar first against opposite Vaporeon with no Speed.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry this is way overdue

Everything looks fine with the aforementioned changes though, so well done. QC 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)