Venusaur

Venusaur= Frog + Plant

[OVERVIEW]

Venusaur is rather one-dimensional in the UnderUsed metagame, as it is outclassed by Roserade, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth in most of its roles; however, it is an extremely potent sun sweeper thanks to Chlorophyll, which doubles its Speed while the sun is up. While Chlorophyll is activated, Venusaur can outspeed Aerodactyl and slower Choice Scarf users while having a Modest nature, which lets it hit much harder with Life Orb and Growth. Venusaur also has a pretty good offensive typing and an even better defensive typing in Grass / Poison, which allows it to set up on Pokemon such as Florges and Whimsicott while resisting most forms of priority, such as Crawdaunt's and Feraligatr's Aqua Jet, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave from Fighting-types, and Bullet Punch from Metagross and Lucario.

[SET]
name: Sun Sweeper
move 1: Growth
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========

Growth allows Venusaur to get to +2 Special Attack in one turn if the sun is up, letting it immediately begin sweeping. Sludge Bomb is Venusaur's main STAB option, as it can hit a lot of Pokemon such as Whimsicott and Florges extremely hard, although it can't hit Chesnaught. Giga Drain lets Venusaur hit most Pokemon that resist Poison very hard while recovering health against a lot of frailer Pokemon. Although Hidden Power Fire is kind of weak, it gets a power boost under the sun and can hit Steel-types, as well as other Pokemon that resist Venusaur's STAB combination, such as Toxicroak.

Set Details
===========

Chlorophyll doubles Venusaur's Speed while the sun is up, allowing it to outspeed most relevant Choice Scarf users, as well as Mega Aerodactyl. Life Orb boosts its damage output by a significant amount, and while Lum Berry can be used to switch into Thunder Wave and Scald more easily, there is a significant decrease in sweeping potential. It has maximum Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs allow Venusaur to outspeed most relevant Choice Scarf users, as well as Speed tie with Modest Trace Gardevoir.

Usage Tips
=========

Venusaur performs best as a late-game sweeper, destroying teams when its checks and counters have been removed; however, it still performs well as a mid-game cleaner that can punch holes in a team for a sweeper to come in later. Venusaur performs best on sun teams, which can set up the sun for it to sweep in games. It is best for Venusaur to begin setting up Growth against Pokemon such as Florges and Chesnaught, which can't really do much to it in return.

Team Options
===========

Venusaur likes sun setters, especially Whimsicott, which can set up the sun with Prankster and use Memento to help bring Venusaur in so it can easily set up. Cresselia, Azelf, and Uxie are also good sun setters because they can help bring Venusaur in thanks to Lunar Dance, Explosion, and Memento, respectively, while Sableye can be a good sun setter thanks to Prankster. Fire-type sun setters such as Entei can also work as good partners, as they work not only as sun setters but also as sun abusers thanks to their powerful Fire-type attacks. Mega Aerodactyl is a good partner for Venusaur due to its typing, which allows it to beat the Fire-, Bug-, and Flying-types that beat Venusaur while also being able to pick off Pokemon that Venusaur has weakened. Mega Houndoom hits very hard when the sun is up and also hits the Steel-types that non-Hidden Power Fire Venusaur can't, making it a good partner. Fighting-types also make good partners for Venusaur, as they can lure in and deal damage to the Poison- and Psychic-types that beat Venusaur.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Venusaur can run Sunny Day, which allows it to be used on non-sun teams, but it loses out on either coverage, Growth, or recovery, which isn't a very good trade-off. Sleep Powder can be run over Growth to cripple most of Venusaur's switch-ins. Venusaur can run a mixed set that has Growth, Earthquake, Power Whip, and Sludge Bomb to beat most of its checks. A physical Swords Dance set is also viable, but it is mostly outclassed by other Attack- and Speed-boosting Pokemon because it needs a lot of support to be effective. Solar Beam can be run, but only in tandem with Sleep Powder, and only if you have another Chlorophyll sweeper on your team already.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Mandibuzz, Goodra, and Blissey can survive Venusaur's attacks and cripple it in return with Thunder Wave, hit it with Fire Blast, or use Knock Off so it deals less damage later.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Dragalge, Tentacruel, and Crobat resist most of Venusaur's attacks and hit back hard; however, the latter two cannot switch into Solar Beam and Hidden Power Fire, respectively.

**Psychic-types**: Most Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Gardevoir, can take Venusaur's attacks and deal a lot of damage in return with their STAB moves. Gardevoir can also copy Chlorophyll with Trace and outspeed Venusaur if it's running a Timid nature or Speed tie if it's running a Modest one.

**Fire-types**: Most Fire-types such as Entei and Mega Houndoom can OHKO Venusaur with their STAB moves and can take advantage of their Fire-type moves while the sun is up. Choice Scarf Infernape is especially threatening, as it is one of the very few Pokemon that can outspeed Venusaur while Chlorophyll is activated.

**Super Effective Priority Users**: Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Abomasnow, and Fletchinder can all hit Venusaur with their super effective priority moves. Abomasnow is especially threatening, as it can also change the weather and end Venusaur's sweep.

**Prankster Pokemon**: Pokemon with Prankster, such as Whimsicott and Tornadus, can clear or change the weather to end Venusaur's sweep.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bulky set definitely needs to be up there.

SD+Physically Offensive set in OO.

Will give more detailed check later.

Reactions: nv
Nah, Venusaur's only niche is a sun sweeper. Anything else is outdone by other Grass-types, Venusaur isn't even bulky enough to pull off a tank or defensive set. Only one set required :toast:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nah, Venusaur's only niche is a sun sweeper. Anything else is outdone by other Grass-types, Venusaur isn't even bulky enough to pull off a tank or defensive set. Only one set required :toast:
I've pretty successfully used defensive bulky, it's not the worst, kinda sits in between Amoonguss and Roserade. Are you sure?

Im alright with doing an analysis for the bulky set, I've just never seen it run successfully, period. If you could post the set here King UU and can show me it being used successfully I will definitely do an analysis for it.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I've pretty successfully used defensive bulky, it's not the worst, kinda sits in between Amoonguss and Roserade. Are you sure?
Well Venusaur barely offers anything over either Amoonguss (Spore, Regen, even Foul Play if u want) or Roserade (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Aromatherapy) so I don't see why one would consider bulky Venusaur really.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well provided crawdaunt drops, defensive Venusaur definitely has more relevance since it can easily outspeed daunt while still having the bulk to tank knock. Basically, a mid between rose and tang in that instance. it also gets Synthesis to stay healthy etc.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Well provided crawdaunt drops, defensive Venusaur definitely has more relevance since it can easily outspeed daunt while still having the bulk to tank knock. Basically, a mid between rose and tang in that instance. it also gets Synthesis to stay healthy etc.
and hits that coveted 230 speed tier which is gonna prove relevant should daunt drop.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124+ Def Venusaur: 265-312 (73 - 85.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 124+ Def Venusaur: 55-65 (15.1 - 17.9%)

230 Speed Venusaur dies to Knock Off + Aqua Jet 100% of the time after SR or a Spike.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Venusaur: 244-289 (67.2 - 79.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Venusaur: 51-60 (14 - 16.5%)

Even if Venusaur only invests enough Speed for Adamant Crawdaunt, Knock Off + Aqua Jet will KO over 50% of the time. This is getting ahead of ourselves anyway. As for what's actually in UU:

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Venusaur: 169-201 (46.5 - 55.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Venusaur: 335-395 (92.2 - 108.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Venusaur: 193-228 (53.1 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Venusaur is outclassed in every way by Chesnaught or Tangrowth, neither of whom are 2HKOd by Mega Swampert / Sharpedo or OHKOd by +1 Feraligatr, in addition to other threats such as Krookodile (the main reason why itemless Venusaur wouldn't work like itemless Tangrowth would; again this is getting ahead of ourselves though). Offensively, Roserade is both faster and stronger, has much more useful abilities, and also has access to Spikes (and obviously can still function as a check to SD Gatr / Crawdaunt). Being a "middle ground" between Chesnaught/Tangrowth and Roserade just means it struggles to adequately perform the roles of either.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Long time since I've ever done anything related to contributions, but after using Venusaur extensively, I feel that there are a lot of details that need to be clarified in this analysis. dodmen has already pointed out why defensive Venusaur isn't worth mentioning and, after testing Swords Dance / Power Whip / Knock Off / Synthesis myself, I've come to the conclusion that this Pokemon doesn't have any niche in this tier outside of sun. With that said, here's the set you should be running:

[SET]
name: Special Sun Sweeper
move 1: Growth (I know dodmen likes Sleep Powder, but personally, I believe it's not worth a slash)
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

252 Speed with a Modest nature (Timid is not an option, you need power and there aren't any important benchmarks besides Choice Scarf Infernape, which isn't relevant) allows you to outrun Choice Scarf Mienshao, so dropping Speed EVs into bulk should never be considered. Also, Venusaur shouldn't, under any circumstance, be setting up sun on its own. It doesn't pack Mega Swampert's power, which means it absolutely needs Growth in order to have a chance of sweeping. Giga Drain has good synergy with Life Orb and is more reliable than Solar Beam (which, in my opinion, isn't even worth slashing). Sludge Bomb is a nice main STAB move and Hidden Power Fire rounds off this set by hitting Steel-types. Also, Black Sludge and Synthesis aren't worth mentioning at all, as their role of providing Venusaur with longevity is unnecessary with Giga Drain as your main Grass-type move and, on top of that, you need all coverage and power you can get.

As a conclusion, while manual Sun is sort of a gimmicky playstyle, it can be absolutely deadly if it gets a good match up (which it does against like 80% of balanced teams right now from what I've seen). Pair Venusaur with Taunt / Sunny Day / Memento Whimsicott and Lunar Dance Cresselia and you should get some nice sweeps. I'll wait for this to get out of WIP to perform a more in-depth analysis of it. There's another set that might be worth adding to the analysis, but I still need to test it. I'll leave it here along with some notes nonetheless:

[SET]
name: Physical Sun Sweeper
move 1: Growth / Swords Dance
move 2: Power Whip
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Return
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Coverage: Hits everything for at least neutral damage, I think. Power Whip / EQ / Knock Off loses to Hydra and PW / Return / Knock Off loses to Cobalion.
1st move: Growth allows you to bluff Special / Mixed, SD gives you more breathing room against slower teams outside of sun. Both are OK.
Item: Lum Berry allows you to set up on Scald. Life Orb is self-explanatory.

Keep in mind that I still need to test this set though.

Note:
  • Walled by Crobat
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 211-248 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 209-246 (67.2 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Wear it down a little and it's dead. It's a nice Venusaur check, but there's no way it is a safe counter.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Note:
  • Walled by Crobat
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 211-248 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 209-246 (67.2 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Wear it down a little and it's dead. It's a nice Venusaur check, but there's no way it is a safe counter.
So like how exactly is Venusaur beating Crobat before Bat simply shoots it down with Brave Bird? Crobat can either switch into the Growth and tank the boosted hit, or eat 2 unboosted hits before KOing Venusaur. It's also not unreasonable for bulky Crobat to remain above that percentage when it comes time to checking Venusaur. That's a pretty safe counter.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So like how exactly is Venusaur beating Crobat before Bat simply shoots it down with Brave Bird? Crobat can either switch into the Growth and tank the boosted hit, or eat 2 unboosted hits before KOing Venusaur. It's also not unreasonable for bulky Crobat to remain above that percentage when it comes time to checking Venusaur. That's a pretty safe counter.
If you really want to get down to it, the argument goes the other way more easily. What I mean is the more likely situation is that is not unreasonable to find a spare 15-20% damage on bulky Crobat and for rocks to be up. The easiest way for this to occur is to set up rocks and go to something on the defog. Bam, 25% damage, set up rocks again and Crobat isn't an issue. Another very simple solution would be to set up rocks and pursuit it with mega aero (also nabs chandelure, another check to the proposed set). There are tons of other simple to set up situations where you snag that extra damage that you need for the +2 Sludge Bomb to kill. Crobat is really easy to pressure since it nearly always wants to click u-turn/defog leaving it little time to roost to 100%. Like pearl said, its a good check but far from a reliable counter if it wants to check anything else in the match.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Not QC but...

Overveiw

I feel that somewhere you should mention why you would want to use Venusaur over Tangrowth. Mention the poison STAB

Moves

Sleep Powder I think should go into moves as it can give you set-up oppurtunities. Of course other people can comment on this. You also forgot to add a BP for Giga Drain.

Set Details

• Life Orb increases damage output, while Black Sludge restores HP and can't be tricked off.
This sentence is wrong, it should say that it punishes pokemon that may try to Trick Venusaur.

Usage Tips
  • Although gimmicky, it does have some use on sun teams due to its raw power and speed with the sun up.
Isn't that the main purpose of the set? This sentence sounds really off. This also looks like it belongs in Team Options. I would mention something like, "Venusaur appreciates being in the sun thanks to the raw power and speed boost."
Another sentence could also be added saying when you would like to use Growth like on things that Venusaur can scare like Swampert and Florges.

Team Options

I Would mention more than one sun setter. I mean Venusaur doesn't have much purpose unless it was on a sun team. Unlike Mega Swampert it isn't being ran on a rain team. I would also say that Venusaur can help out with removing water-types like Suicune and ground-types like Mamoswine for Mega Houndoom

C&C

Mention Abomasnow fears a Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Fire at least.

SIDENOTE: I am not sure what conditions you need to use Weather Ball, an event esclusive move, so maybe if it is legal replace that with HP Fire

I'm not an official QC so unless an actual QC says something like, "add all of Slay's changes [except...]" then don't add these

Not QC but...

Overveiw

I feel that somewhere you should mention why you would want to use Venusaur over Tangrowth. Mention the poison STAB

Moves

Sleep Powder I think should go into moves as it can give you set-up oppurtunities. Of course other people can comment on this. You also forgot to add a BP for Giga Drain.

Set Details

• Life Orb increases damage output, while Black Sludge restores HP and can't be tricked off.
This sentence is wrong, it should say that it punishes pokemon that may try to Trick Venusaur.

Usage Tips
  • Although gimmicky, it does have some use on sun teams due to its raw power and speed with the sun up.
Isn't that the main purpose of the set? This sentence sounds really off. This also looks like it belongs in Team Options. I would mention something like, "Venusaur appreciates being in the sun thanks to the raw power and speed boost."
Another sentence could also be added saying when you would like to use Growth like on things that Venusaur can scare like Swampert and Florges.

Team Options

I Would mention more than one sun setter. I mean Venusaur doesn't have much purpose unless it was on a sun team. Unlike Mega Swampert it isn't being ran on a rain team. I would also say that Venusaur can help out with removing water-types like Suicune and ground-types like Mamoswine for Mega Houndoom

C&C

Mention Abomasnow fears a Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Fire at least.

SIDENOTE: I am not sure what conditions you need to use Weather Ball, an event esclusive move, so maybe if it is legal replace that with HP Fire

I'm not an official QC so unless an actual QC says something like, "add all of Slay's changes [except...]" then don't add these
Added all of that in.

On Venusaur, Weather Ball is an event move that is illegal with Chlorophyll, so it won't be added.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
seems like im qc now :)

implement all that's in my previous post that hasn't been implemented yet. sludge bomb should be the main stab (move 2) with giga drain slashed second and hidden power fire third. sleep powder > growth and solarbeam > giga drain should be mentioned in moves if you're running a 2nd chlorophyll abuser with growth like victreebel or whimsicott (they could even be slashed but i haven't tested

overview:
  • i'd remove the gen 4 god bit cause that's useless info and idt fancy intros are required anymore (i actually dunno if this has changed since the last time i did qc so correct me if im wrong btw).
  • mention that venu is one dimensional af/useless outside of sun because you pretty much only run it in sun teams and every other venu variant is outclassed like hell by amoonguss/rosie/tangrowth.
  • also, there's no way venusaur's typing is bad defensively lol. if anything, it's a mixed bag. resists to water and fairy give you some really nice set up opportunities on stuff like florg/whims (you're immune to stun spore, which is also another bonus of ur tying). fighting resist lets u tank some stuff as a last resort (although you can't really go hand to hand with most fighting-types). that coupled with venu's decent defensive stats and the fact it resists a lot of common priority moves (jet from the likes of gatr and crab, mach punch and vaccum wave) make its typing not as bad as you make it seem.
sun set:
  • already went through most of the move choices before. i'll tl;dr it here: growth/sludge bomb/giga drain/hp fire with life orb as the sole item choice. explanations: bomb is the main stab, hitting most stuff that doesn't resist it really hard. drain allows you to heal on grass weaknesses/frail pokemon that don't resist grass (examples: krook, helio, mega aero) and hits water-types quite hard. hp fire rounds off ur coverage by hitting steel-types, toxicroak and other stuff that doesn't die to any of ur stab moves.
  • moves only mentions: sleep powder + solarbeam in tandem. nothing else. mention that you should only do this if u have another chloro sweeper on ur team (which is pretty unlikely to happen too)
  • set details: remove black sludge mention. mention lum berry (so u can set up on scald and thunder waves safely) but how the power from lo is usually more benefitial. max speed evs allow u to speed tie with modest gardevoir after trace. u only need around 220 speed evs for scarf mienshao, but garde means you're better off just dumping it all into speed.
  • usage tips: the first sentence isn't true 100% of the time. it's ok to punch holes with venu for another mon to clean up (usually a fire-type). it has a lot of clean up potential though, so i'd just word it differently. 2nd sentence is ok and the 3rd would be ok if u didn't mention swampert. you scare it away but if your opponent is threatened by venu that much he'll just stay in and roar you out while you growth so there's no way it is set up bait. replace it with a chesnaught mention i guess.
  • team options: sun setters (the best 3 are whims/sable/cress cause of prankster/memento/lunar dance respectively. unconventional setters like sunny day entei could work too), aero (clean up potential after sun turns are over, benefits from having some venu checks worn down, such as zonger, good defensive and offensive synergy) and fire-types (self explanatory) are a good start and you'll rarely steer away from those while building around venu. i'd mention fighting-types too cause they can just nuke most specially defensive pokemon that switch on venu hard, as well as having the ability to wear down bulky poison and psychic-types that check venu. cobalion and infernape are good but there are probably more.

other options:
  • the sunny day venu mention is ok.
  • remove the bulky set mentions cause they're flat out outclassed
  • give the physical sun set i mentioned in my previous post a big mention and why it is good (lures specially defensive mons for the rest of its team) but also what makes it an inferior option right (pretty weak outside of the surprise factor, can't set up on scald as freely etc)
  • mixed sweeper could also use a mention. growth/power whip/eq/sludge bomb
c&c:
no way flying-types should be first on the list at all. the order should be the following imo:
  • specially defensive mons that dont take super effective dmg from any of your moves (GOODRA cause of sap sipper, blissey, porygon2, mandibuzz, umbreon)
  • poison mons (toxicroak dies to +2 hp fire but has sucker punch, crobat does ok, tentacruel has liquid ooze + haze, dragalge walls)
  • psychic-types, with a special mention gardevoir (timid garde traces chloro and does a lot of work with it, modest scarf doesn't hit as hard but is also dangerous af), but also cresselia (66% recovery move), av slowking and reuniclus
  • fire-types (most can't tank hits at +2 but they discourage you from setting up and entei/arca even get extreme speed)
  • super effective priority moves, which is basically just mamoswine, abomasnow (resets the weather too) and the uncommon fletchinder
  • prankster: whimsicott (has a hard time switching in directly, but it discourages venu from setting up really hard) and tornadus resets the weather
implement all of this and you'll get a qc check from me. edit: sorry for making it so long D:

Last edited:
seems like im qc now :)

implement all that's in my previous post that hasn't been implemented yet. sludge bomb should be the main stab (move 2) with giga drain slashed second and hidden power fire third. sleep powder > growth and solarbeam > giga drain should be mentioned in moves if you're running a 2nd chlorophyll abuser with growth like victreebel or whimsicott (they could even be slashed but i haven't tested

overview:
  • i'd remove the gen 4 god bit cause that's useless info and idt fancy intros are required anymore (i actually dunno if this has changed since the last time i did qc so correct me if im wrong btw).
  • mention that venu is one dimensional af/useless outside of sun because you pretty much only run it in sun teams and every other venu variant is outclassed like hell by amoonguss/rosie/tangrowth.
  • also, there's no way venusaur's typing is bad defensively lol. if anything, it's a mixed bag. resists to water and fairy give you some really nice set up opportunities on stuff like florg/whims (you're immune to stun spore, which is also another bonus of ur tying). fighting resist lets u tank some stuff as a last resort (although you can't really go hand to hand with most fighting-types). that coupled with venu's decent defensive stats and the fact it resists a lot of common priority moves (jet from the likes of gatr and crab, mach punch and vaccum wave) make its typing not as bad as you make it seem.
sun set:
  • already went through most of the move choices before. i'll tl;dr it here: growth/sludge bomb/giga drain/hp fire with life orb as the sole item choice. explanations: bomb is the main stab, hitting most stuff that doesn't resist it really hard. drain allows you to heal on grass weaknesses/frail pokemon that don't resist grass (examples: krook, helio, mega aero) and hits water-types quite hard. hp fire rounds off ur coverage by hitting steel-types, toxicroak and other stuff that doesn't die to any of ur stab moves.
  • moves only mentions: sleep powder + solarbeam in tandem. nothing else. mention that you should only do this if u have another chloro sweeper on ur team (which is pretty unlikely to happen too)
  • set details: remove black sludge mention. mention lum berry (so u can set up on scald and thunder waves safely) but how the power from lo is usually more benefitial. max speed evs allow u to speed tie with modest gardevoir after trace. u only need around 220 speed evs for scarf mienshao, but garde means you're better off just dumping it all into speed.
  • usage tips: the first sentence isn't true 100% of the time. it's ok to punch holes with venu for another mon to clean up (usually a fire-type). it has a lot of clean up potential though, so i'd just word it differently. 2nd sentence is ok and the 3rd would be ok if u didn't mention swampert. you scare it away but if your opponent is threatened by venu that much he'll just stay in and roar you out while you growth so there's no way it is set up bait. replace it with a chesnaught mention i guess.
  • team options: sun setters (the best 3 are whims/sable/cress cause of prankster/memento/lunar dance respectively. unconventional setters like sunny day entei could work too), aero (clean up potential after sun turns are over, benefits from having some venu checks worn down, such as zonger, good defensive and offensive synergy) and fire-types (self explanatory) are a good start and you'll rarely steer away from those while building around venu. i'd mention fighting-types too cause they can just nuke most specially defensive pokemon that switch on venu hard, as well as having the ability to wear down bulky poison and psychic-types that check venu. cobalion and infernape are good but there are probably more.

other options:
  • the sunny day venu mention is ok.
  • remove the bulky set mentions cause they're flat out outclassed
  • give the physical sun set i mentioned in my previous post a big mention and why it is good (lures specially defensive mons for the rest of its team) but also what makes it an inferior option right (pretty weak outside of the surprise factor, can't set up on scald as freely etc)
  • mixed sweeper could also use a mention. growth/power whip/eq/sludge bomb
c&c:
no way flying-types should be first on the list at all. the order should be the following imo:
  • specially defensive mons that dont take super effective dmg from any of your moves (GOODRA cause of sap sipper, blissey, porygon2, mandibuzz, umbreon)
  • poison mons (toxicroak dies to +2 hp fire but has sucker punch, crobat does ok, tentacruel has liquid ooze + haze, dragalge walls)
  • psychic-types, with a special mention gardevoir (timid garde traces chloro and does a lot of work with it, modest scarf doesn't hit as hard but is also dangerous af), but also cresselia (66% recovery move), av slowking and reuniclus
  • fire-types (most can't tank hits at +2 but they discourage you from setting up and entei/arca even get extreme speed)
  • super effective priority moves, which is basically just mamoswine, abomasnow (resets the weather too) and the uncommon fletchinder
  • prankster: whimsicott (has a hard time switching in directly, but it discourages venu from setting up really hard) and tornadus resets the weather
implement all of this and you'll get a qc check from me. edit: sorry for making it so long D:
Implemented all of that in, I don't know if it took you longer to write all of that, or for me to edit it in as I am tired right now and kept making random spelling/grammar errors.

I've got a few comments for C&C

**Special Walls**: Mandibuzz and Blissey can take Venusaur's attacks and cripple it back with thunder wave, or can use knock off so it does less damage later.
Make sure to add Goodra like Pearl said; I found my sun team started performing much better after I slogged my way out of lower ladder and this pokemon became less common. Goodra is on every other team down there it seems, and pretty much stops Venusaur in its tracks.

**Poison Types**: Poison-types such as Dragalge, Tentacruel, and Crobat can all either wall Vensaur, Force it out, or clear off its stat boosts to end its sweep.
While Dragalge shits on Venusaur, the other two are shakier as checks: Tentacruel loses to solar beam variants while Crobat loses to HP fire variants after rocks:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 398-469 (110.2 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Crobat in Sun: 281-331 (75.3 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

**Psychic-Types**: Most psychic types, like Cresselia and Reuniclus, can easily take Venusaur's attacks and deal a lot of damage back with their stabs. Special mention goes to Gardevoir, which can trace Chlorophyll and outspeed Venusaur if Timid, and Speed tie if Modest, and abuse the sun on it's own.
Both Cress and Reuniclus notably lose to solar beam variants:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 532-628 (125.4 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia: 372-438 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Reuniclus is also pretty borderline against non-solar beam variants, too:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 399-472 (94.1 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

**Fire-types**: Most fire-types can OHKO Venusaur with their stab, but can also abuse their fire moves with much higher power when the sun is up. Mega Houndoom is a special case, as its attacks receive a boost from sun thanks to solar power.
Scarf Infernape is the only one that deserves mention IMO, as it outspeeds modest Venusaur under sun. Every other fire-type in the tier is outsped and OHKO'd by +2 sludge bomb after rocks. Arcanine and Entei could be mentioned under priority, but they are neither fast enough nor bulky enough to actually hit Venusaur with fire.

av slowking
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 359-424 (91.3 - 107.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't mean to nitpick, since you otherwise covered a lot of what I wanted to say.

I've got a few comments for C&C

Make sure to add Goodra like Pearl said; I found my sun team started performing much better after I slogged my way out of lower ladder and this pokemon became less common. Goodra is on every other team down there it seems, and pretty much stops Venusaur in its tracks.

While Dragalge shits on Venusaur, the other two are shakier as checks: Tentacruel loses to solar beam variants while Crobat loses to HP fire variants after rocks:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 398-469 (110.2 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Crobat in Sun: 281-331 (75.3 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Both Cress and Reuniclus notably lose to solar beam variants:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 532-628 (125.4 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia: 372-438 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Reuniclus is also pretty borderline against non-solar beam variants, too:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 399-472 (94.1 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Scarf Infernape is the only one that deserves mention IMO, as it outspeeds modest Venusaur under sun. Every other fire-type in the tier is outsped and OHKO'd by +2 sludge bomb after rocks. Arcanine and Entei could be mentioned under priority, but they are neither fast enough nor bulky enough to actually hit Venusaur with fire.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 359-424 (91.3 - 107.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't mean to nitpick, since you otherwise covered a lot of what I wanted to say.
Had all of that added.

I would mention Azelf and Uxie in Team Options for sun setters, maybe Mesprit too but i'm a little iffy on that

also it should be Hidden Power Fire instead of HP Fire oO
Added that in, and fixed Hidden Power Fire as well.

Pearl you said that you would give me the QC check after I put all that you added in. May I have the QC check now since I added it all in and get the analysis moved on to check number 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)