VGC '12 Florida Regional - Lake Buena Vista, FL - November 13th

I placed in 3rd with a 5-1 record and my other FSPL cohort placed 4th. The guy that won second with the same record lost to me when we played so it was like a moral second place. I only lost to the guy that won, and he got a lucky crit which kind of sucked. We will see you guys at Nats. Oh and I got a Wotter doll.

I took 2nd, though Blades did beat me in a post-tournament match, close though it may have been xD. I lost to Grafton because of that Sand-hax Garchomp as well. I missed it like, five times in a row.

I've been beating myself up all day. I would have 100% taken first, after getting through to haxy battles that super made games close for no reason, I get a DQ. It's cool though. Ill just have to pick up my slack in Atlanta.

I've been beating myself up all day. I would have 100% taken first, after getting through to haxy battles that super made games close for no reason, I get a DQ. It's cool though. Ill just have to pick up my slack in Atlanta.
That still sucks man, you could of definitely taken that first place. I'm still upset from the fact that I made 5th place and not 4th, that's like the biggest slap in the face I ever experienced. One thing is losing a lot, another thing is that you did good but 5% not good enough to take the top spots, >.<

That still sucks man, you could of definitely taken that first place. I'm still upset from the fact that I made 5th place and not 4th, that's like the biggest slap in the face I ever experienced. One thing is losing a lot, another thing is that you did good but 5% not good enough to take the top spots, >.<
I know! A game or two that our opponents lost separated us from $300 (and a game or two that our opponents' opponents lost separated the two of us). Sucks, but hey, that's the way it works. Hopefully they'll have top cuts next season. I wish I had gotten a shot at Grafton... I knew his team inside and out since I helped plan it, 4 of his 6 Pokémon were mine (and the other two I helped with RNGing), and I felt like I had a good game plan in mind for if I faced him, so I would have liked my chances in that game. Oh well... congrats, Grafton!

35-31886-62414 is video of my epic round 1 match where I was down 4-2 and came back and won.

I also took a picture of the final standings, so if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll post it.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Got a bunch of pics including all the junior/seniors and masters standings.
I'll have the standings up once I get them off my camera.
There were 16 juniors/16 seniors/47 masters, so the attendance wasn't as high as I thought.
Some interesting things I saw when the juniors/seniors played was a DQ for having Sky Drop and a DQ for an "illegal birthplace"

This VGC seemed pretty lax. Most people I spoke with seemed to be here mainly for TCG and were on their first VGC.

I didn't get to talk to a lot of smogon people (most said they just lurked) but I think I might have sat next to Misdreavus in round 6 (you were in table 2 I believe?) and I think I might have battled Tobes but not sure (you were running Sun + Tailwind?)

This VGC seemed pretty lax. Most people I spoke with seemed to be here mainly for TCG and were on their first VGC.
I agree that it was pretty lax. It felt more like one of the TCG side events... they didn't even announce the winners. I definitely had some good battles against people who seemed like quality opponents though.

I didn't get to talk to a lot of smogon people (most said they just lurked) but I think I might have sat next to Misdreavus in round 6 (you were in table 2 I believe?) and I think I might have battled Tobes but not sure (you were running Sun + Tailwind?)
I believe I was at table 2 in round 6 :). I also battled 2 people with identical sun teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tailwind was in there too since they had Dragonite (it never used Tailwind against me though), so if that is what Tobes was running, he was probably one of those 2 people (I beat one and my lone loss was to the other).

Florida is a really big tcg area(2 world champions are from FL and the 2011 national champion with other strong tcgers.)

While florida is also smaller than other areas in terms for vgc.

The Florida State Pokemon League begs to differ. I think a couple of reasons for the turn out waaas.....

1. The tournament was scheduled for Sunday. Prior VGC tourneys have been run on Saturday. I can only assume most of the people are coming from out of town and driving back late on Sunday might not work out for them.

2. The tournament was announced shortly before it happened. A lot of people probably weren't prepared for this tournament.

3. The tournament was outsourced. Even though it was Nintendo backed, the websites they were linking to seemed to be kind of sketch.

4. The prizes weren't as big as they were in previous years. Now that Nats is an open invitation, playing through regionals for 300 bucks is almost redundant.

5. All of the events were run on the same day. While IMO it's not a bad thing, it doesn't work for the people that go around to all of the VGCs. There are several people that travel around to go to the VGCs(mostly during the summer where more time is available) and this effectively stops them from doing that.

6. It was run during the school year and I'm sure that deters a lot of the less dedicated players from going. During the summer when they ran the prior tourneys, a lot of people/kids are on vacation.

7. The most important reason... IT WASN'T ADVERTIZED. The only people that knew about it are in the know and keep up with it on a fairly regular basis. They don't even have direct links on the pokemon front page. They did a piss-poor job of getting the word out. Who's going to go to a tournament they don't know about. I sure wouldn't.

... just a thought, just to name a few.

The Florida State Pokemon League begs to differ. I think a couple of reasons for the turn out waaas.....

1. The tournament was scheduled for Sunday. Prior VGC tourneys have been run on Saturday. I can only assume most of the people are coming from out of town and driving back late on Sunday might not work out for them.

2. The tournament was announced shortly before it happened. A lot of people probably weren't prepared for this tournament.

3. The tournament was outsourced. Even though it was Nintendo backed, the websites they were linking to seemed to be kind of sketch.

4. The prizes weren't as big as they were in previous years. Now that Nats is an open invitation, playing through regionals for 300 bucks is almost redundant.

5. All of the events were run on the same day. While IMO it's not a bad thing, it doesn't work for the people that go around to all of the VGCs. There are several people that travel around to go to the VGCs(mostly during the summer where more time is available) and this effectively stops them from doing that.

6. It was run during the school year and I'm sure that deters a lot of the less dedicated players from going. During the summer when they ran the prior tourneys, a lot of people/kids are on vacation.

7. The most important reason... IT WASN'T ADVERTIZED. The only people that knew about it are in the know and keep up with it on a fairly regular basis. They don't even have direct links on the pokemon front page. They did a piss-poor job of getting the word out. Who's going to go to a tournament they don't know about. I sure wouldn't.

... just a thought, just to name a few.
Agreed. VGC is still young though, and this is the first year that Nintendo has done it on this big of a scale - having more locations than ever and having tournaments twice a year, so I think they'll pick up on the aspects that need improvement. I think the expansion is the main reason for the decline in prize support; with more events, they simply can't afford to spend as much money on each one. I personally like how the tournaments were all on the same day... I think winning and getting a trip/invite shouldn't be a matter of who has the most time and money to travel across the country to several venues (and if they're a good player, they're most likely eventually bound to have their day).

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
I agree that it was pretty lax. It felt more like one of the TCG side events... they didn't even announce the winners. I definitely had some good battles against people who seemed like quality opponents though.

I believe I was at table 2 in round 6 :). I also battled 2 people with identical sun teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tailwind was in there too since they had Dragonite (it never used Tailwind against me though), so if that is what Tobes was running, he was probably one of those 2 people (I beat one and my lone loss was to the other).
Figured that was you. Too bad we didn't get to talk. Tobes(?) had Zapdos as a Tailwind user while Ryoken had Latios. Both were running nearly identical sun teams (Fake Out lead, Ninetales, Latios, Tailwind) As I found out, Tailwind + weather really screws my team up so I lost to both.

For anyone interested, I stuck around for Juniors and Seniors before the masters so I got all the standings

Juniors http://imgur.com/ZotQV
Seniors http://imgur.com/UPMxv
Masters part 1 http://imgur.com/R7rkr
Masters part 2 http://imgur.com/5sGeX

I'm the highest ranked 4 win person in masters.

I didn't get a picture of the original masters roster that listed the ages so I was wondering if someone had it. I could've sworn I saw someone listed as 14 in there.

Got a bunch of pics including all the junior/seniors and masters standings.
I'll have the standings up once I get them off my camera.
There were 16 juniors/16 seniors/47 masters, so the attendance wasn't as high as I thought.
Some interesting things I saw when the juniors/seniors played was a DQ for having Sky Drop and a DQ for an "illegal birthplace"

Yeah that's what I was running. My team was Ninetales / Shiftry (I almost always led with those lol) / Latios / Zapdos / Smeargle / Darmnanitan. I was the guy with the witty shirt and shaggy longish brown hair. Which round did you play me in?

This is how the 3 guys from the FSPL did. For the record the guy that went 4-2 trained his team a day before the tournament using a 4th gen team.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah that's what I was running. My team was Ninetales / Shiftry (I almost always led with those lol) / Latios / Zapdos / Smeargle / Darmnanitan. I was the guy with the witty shirt and shaggy longish brown hair. Which round did you play me in?
2nd. I was running the team with a Gastrodon.

Wait, I think I faced you, you were the one where all we had left was Ninetails right?

2nd. I was running the team with a Gastrodon.
Ah, I remember you distinctly now. I had a feeling you were him.

Wait, I think I faced you, you were the one where all we had left was Ninetails right?
Yeah that was me. btw I ran the calc and the odds were in favor of your Latios surviving outside of that crit, so I'm glad luck evened out or that match would have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah that was me. btw I ran the calc and the odds were in favor of your Latios surviving outside of that crit, so I'm glad luck evened out or that match would have left a bad taste in my mouth.
That's cool, I mean, it was impossible for Latios to take that much damage with one Flare Blitz or at least to KO it. But in the end, things evened out and still turned out to be a great match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)