VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the number of rounds be reduced from last year due to there now being a top cut? Will there only be swiss rounds until there are 8 undefeated people and then they go on to the top cut, or is it that there will be 1 undefeated person, and the 8 best record after tiebreaks go on to the top cut?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Will the number of rounds be reduced from last year due to there now being a top cut? Will there only be swiss rounds until there are 8 undefeated people and then they go on to the top cut, or is it that there will be 1 undefeated person, and the 8 best record after tiebreaks go on to the top cut?
It will probably depend on the turnout, and will be different for each regional.

Would hp grass on rotom-w be a viable choice? Gastrodon is a very common switch in to it and the standard rotom-w can't damage or even harass gastrodon. I find it hard to justify the loss of t-wave but I do currently have an alternate method of reliably spreading paralysis.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would hp grass on rotom-w be a viable choice? Gastrodon is a very common switch in to it and the standard rotom-w can't damage or even harass gastrodon. I find it hard to justify the loss of t-wave but I do currently have an alternate method of reliably spreading paralysis.
Yes, though Rindo Berry is common on Gastrodon, HP Grass can be useful to ensure you aren't totally walled by it.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So approximately how many battles do you have to have during a regional event? (This Winter will be my first time!) Also, I'm a girl- are there many girls that play competitively?
2^x=attendance rounded up to the nearest power of 2. X is the number of rounds.

So if I have been reading the recent question correctly, I see that regionals are now going to have a top cut, is this true? And if so does this mean we will battle 6-9 rounds of swiss then top 16 or so go into bracket play?

On a specs rotom-w, would it be more useful to run thunder or volt switch in the fourth moveslot? They both have their utility: thunder hits rain teams harder with 100% accuracy, but volt-switch allows me to get out of a potentially hazardous situation, or switch in a team mate for free while getting some damage off in the mean time.

Note that placing well in regionals also gets you a travel award to pay for the trip to Nationals and automatic byes for the first two rounds, so there's more than just the medal. As far as I know, TPCi hasn't revealed yet what the prizes for Worlds this year will be yet, but you can see what they were last year here. Keep in mind that the prizes for the TCG are better because it's significantly more profitable for them (though still less so than Magic is for WotC) than the video games, so they can afford to give it better prize support.
Honestly, I have issues believing that Nintendo is making less money off the video games than Pokemon is making of the Trading Card Game. Even so I heard that for the Autumn Regionals it was announced that travel award would be decreased!

Anyways... here's a question: I know this is early but can someone create a thread for the Spring Regionals in Metro Vancouver (Canada)??? I would like to start discovering the local competitors in preparation for my first time entering competition.

I have a cresselia in 5th gen( white version) but it does not have icy wind which I need. Since pokemon b/w2 has icy wind as a move tutor can I trade it to pokemon b/w2 and teach it that and then trade it back to my white version to use for the october regionals? Is that not allowed and would they know?

Also, is scrafty with intimidate allowed to be used in the october regionals?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, I have issues believing that Nintendo is making less money off the video games than Pokemon is making of the Trading Card Game. Even so I heard that for the Autumn Regionals it was announced that travel award would be decreased!

Anyways... here's a question: I know this is early but can someone create a thread for the Spring Regionals in Metro Vancouver (Canada)??? I would like to start discovering the local competitors in preparation for my first time entering competition.
Well, for VGC you're buying a $35-40 game once every year or two, and the majority of VGC players would have bought the game anyway. Pretty much the only money they make off of it is from merchandise people buy at the events. When you account for the fact that they have to rent a larger venue, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a net loss for them. On the other hand, the more serious TCG players will spend $100+ (with a much higher profit margin as well) every time a new set comes out, and most of them wouldn't spend nearly as much if it weren't for official tournaments.

The threads for the next set of regionals will be created when the details (rules, venue information, etc.) are released. It'll be at least a month before the event, so you'll have plenty of time to start preparing.
On a specs rotom-w, would it be more useful to run thunder or volt switch in the fourth moveslot? They both have their utility: thunder hits rain teams harder with 100% accuracy, but volt-switch allows me to get out of a potentially hazardous situation, or switch in a team mate for free while getting some damage off in the mean time.
It depends on how threatened your team is by rain. In general, I'd go for Volt Switch, since it lets you get a hit off while being able to switch to a different move later if necessary, which is useful in such a quick metagame.
I have a cresselia in 5th gen( white version) but it does not have icy wind which I need. Since pokemon b/w2 has icy wind as a move tutor can I trade it to pokemon b/w2 and teach it that and then trade it back to my white version to use for the october regionals? Is that not allowed and would they know?

Also, is scrafty with intimidate allowed to be used in the october regionals?
Giving Cresselia Icy Wind would be fine (assuming it originally came from a 4th gen game), Scrafty cannot use Intimidate.

Hello !
How big is the probability to see Uubers allowed during the BW2 VGC tournaments, like they were in 2010 ?
Thanks.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello !
How big is the probability to see Uubers allowed during the BW2 VGC tournaments, like they were in 2010 ?
Thanks.
There is precedent in the All-Star Cup, but we have no way of knowing what the BW2 ruleset will be until it's announced. It could just as easily follow the Beginning Cup, or standard GBU with the new formes and tutors, or something else entirely.

It isn't that they make more money from the TCG than the Video Games in general, it's that the TCG tournaments earn them more money (because it encourages/requires people to buy more packs), whereas for the video game tournaments, players only need the game and a DS, which, 99% of the time, they'll already have anyway.

Come on lads, look at the facts with how these tournaments are run.

Yeah, TCG players have to spend a lot of money every season, but they buy their cards from shops or dealers. That money isn't going to TPCI: they're mostly selling cards to the stores. When you buy a box of cards, that money isn't going to TPCI unless you bought it at a tournament (which you're not going to win without your deck ready, stupid).

The tournaments favour the TCG, yes, but that's because TCG needs organised play to survive. Trading card games need people to get together to play them or they will just fizzle out, like many have done. Do you still play Digimon cards? No you don't, because they're just pieces of paper. Nobody plays the game anymore, which is arguably sad.

The video game makes ridiculous amounts of money anyway and you don't need to meet up with other people to play it, so TPCI don't need to worry about keeping it alive. The TCG on the other hand would literally just curl up and die if they didn't keep on top of it, which is why TPCI runs an organised play division in the first place. It's not hard like; I'm proper confuzzled as to how people keep peddling out the old "TCG earns more money" which is quite clearly badger wank.

I was not sure where else to post this...

I just encountered a Wild Pokemon (Darumaka) in Desert Resort on my game. As the Pokemon was appearing a bunch of green crystal-like things appeared in front of it like if was performing an attack. There was a strange chime.

What just happened??

Nevermind, I found it found. It was it was one of N's Pokemon.

Solace

royal flush
I was not sure where else to post this...

I just encountered a Wild Pokemon (Darumaka) in Desert Resort on my game. As the Pokemon was appearing a bunch of green crystal-like things appeared in front of it like if was performing an attack. There was a strange chime.

What just happened??

Nevermind, I found it found. It was it was one of N's Pokemon.
This would probably go in the general BW2 thread in Orange Islands, which you can find here. This is only for VGC related questions.

Not sure if this is simple or complex, my last batch of Ev training was finished last night and I was all ready to start some intense prepping for Regionals by playing rated GBU, when then it said something like connection error, it was'nt because of my wi-fi because it did'nt give me that familliar message, so WTF. It happened with free mode to. I was using Pokemon Black of course because the 2 games are banned from October Regionals. Anyone know the issue?

I'm prepping for the first regional on Sunday. Do all of my pokemon need to be level 100 for the competition? If they are not level 100, then will I be at a disadvantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)