VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Depends on turnout; Spring Colorado Springs was only 7 rounds. Also, there are a fair amount of female players across all age groups.
  2. avalanche3387

avalanche3387

I was at CO springs back in April and as was said, had 7 battles. There weren't many girls there unfortunately, only a handful or two, so there are some, just not near as many as there are guys. But the winner of our regional was a lady in fact. Either way, I know you will have fun. I'm a bit of an introvert and had a blast so you will too.
  3. Imitation Black

Imitation Black

Will the number of rounds be reduced from last year due to there now being a top cut? Will there only be swiss rounds until there are 8 undefeated people and then they go on to the top cut, or is it that there will be 1 undefeated person, and the 8 best record after tiebreaks go on to the top cut?
  4. Solace

Solace i sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

It will probably depend on the turnout, and will be different for each regional.
  5. Wiretap

Wiretap

Would hp grass on rotom-w be a viable choice? Gastrodon is a very common switch in to it and the standard rotom-w can't damage or even harass gastrodon. I find it hard to justify the loss of t-wave but I do currently have an alternate method of reliably spreading paralysis.
  6. Solace

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Yes, though Rindo Berry is common on Gastrodon, HP Grass can be useful to ensure you aren't totally walled by it.
  7. Wiretap

Wiretap

I did the calcs and non-specs Rotom-w doesn't even OHKO non-rindo gastrodon. However, it does 2HKO with rindo.
  8. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

2^x=attendance rounded up to the nearest power of 2. X is the number of rounds.
  9. Saboros

Saboros

So if I have been reading the recent question correctly, I see that regionals are now going to have a top cut, is this true? And if so does this mean we will battle 6-9 rounds of swiss then top 16 or so go into bracket play?
  10. Wiretap

Wiretap

Most likely it will only be a top 8 due to time concerns.
  11. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

12. Wiretap

Wiretap

On a specs rotom-w, would it be more useful to run thunder or volt switch in the fourth moveslot? They both have their utility: thunder hits rain teams harder with 100% accuracy, but volt-switch allows me to get out of a potentially hazardous situation, or switch in a team mate for free while getting some damage off in the mean time.
  13. TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat

Honestly, I have issues believing that Nintendo is making less money off the video games than Pokemon is making of the Trading Card Game. Even so I heard that for the Autumn Regionals it was announced that travel award would be decreased!

Anyways... here's a question: I know this is early but can someone create a thread for the Spring Regionals in Metro Vancouver (Canada)??? I would like to start discovering the local competitors in preparation for my first time entering competition.
  14. LEgo

LEgo

I have a cresselia in 5th gen( white version) but it does not have icy wind which I need. Since pokemon b/w2 has icy wind as a move tutor can I trade it to pokemon b/w2 and teach it that and then trade it back to my white version to use for the october regionals? Is that not allowed and would they know?

Also, is scrafty with intimidate allowed to be used in the october regionals?
  15. voodoo pimp

Well, for VGC you're buying a $35-40 game once every year or two, and the majority of VGC players would have bought the game anyway. Pretty much the only money they make off of it is from merchandise people buy at the events. When you account for the fact that they have to rent a larger venue, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a net loss for them. On the other hand, the more serious TCG players will spend $100+ (with a much higher profit margin as well) every time a new set comes out, and most of them wouldn't spend nearly as much if it weren't for official tournaments.

The threads for the next set of regionals will be created when the details (rules, venue information, etc.) are released. It'll be at least a month before the event, so you'll have plenty of time to start preparing.
    It depends on how threatened your team is by rain. In general, I'd go for Volt Switch, since it lets you get a hit off while being able to switch to a different move later if necessary, which is useful in such a quick metagame.
    Giving Cresselia Icy Wind would be fine (assuming it originally came from a 4th gen game), Scrafty cannot use Intimidate.
  16. ArcDeus

ArcDeus

Hello !
    How big is the probability to see Uubers allowed during the BW2 VGC tournaments, like they were in 2010 ?
    Thanks.
  17. voodoo pimp

There is precedent in the All-Star Cup, but we have no way of knowing what the BW2 ruleset will be until it's announced. It could just as easily follow the Beginning Cup, or standard GBU with the new formes and tutors, or something else entirely.
  18. ArcDeus

ArcDeus

All right thanks :)
  19. The Last Sheikah

The Last Sheikah

It isn't that they make more money from the TCG than the Video Games in general, it's that the TCG tournaments earn them more money (because it encourages/requires people to buy more packs), whereas for the video game tournaments, players only need the game and a DS, which, 99% of the time, they'll already have anyway.
  20. Zog

Zog

Come on lads, look at the facts with how these tournaments are run.

Yeah, TCG players have to spend a lot of money every season, but they buy their cards from shops or dealers. That money isn't going to TPCI: they're mostly selling cards to the stores. When you buy a box of cards, that money isn't going to TPCI unless you bought it at a tournament (which you're not going to win without your deck ready, stupid).

The tournaments favour the TCG, yes, but that's because TCG needs organised play to survive. Trading card games need people to get together to play them or they will just fizzle out, like many have done. Do you still play Digimon cards? No you don't, because they're just pieces of paper. Nobody plays the game anymore, which is arguably sad.

The video game makes ridiculous amounts of money anyway and you don't need to meet up with other people to play it, so TPCI don't need to worry about keeping it alive. The TCG on the other hand would literally just curl up and die if they didn't keep on top of it, which is why TPCI runs an organised play division in the first place. It's not hard like; I'm proper confuzzled as to how people keep peddling out the old "TCG earns more money" which is quite clearly badger wank.
  21. TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat

I was not sure where else to post this...

I just encountered a Wild Pokemon (Darumaka) in Desert Resort on my game. As the Pokemon was appearing a bunch of green crystal-like things appeared in front of it like if was performing an attack. There was a strange chime.

What just happened??

Nevermind, I found it found. It was it was one of N's Pokemon.
  22. Solace

Mentor

This would probably go in the general BW2 thread in Orange Islands, which you can find here. This is only for VGC related questions.
  23. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Not sure if this is simple or complex, my last batch of Ev training was finished last night and I was all ready to start some intense prepping for Regionals by playing rated GBU, when then it said something like connection error, it was'nt because of my wi-fi because it did'nt give me that familliar message, so WTF. It happened with free mode to. I was using Pokemon Black of course because the 2 games are banned from October Regionals. Anyone know the issue?
  24. bluejackets82

bluejackets82

I'm prepping for the first regional on Sunday. Do all of my pokemon need to be level 100 for the competition? If they are not level 100, then will I be at a disadvantage?
  25. SacredMiKeY

SacredMiKeY

They are set to 50, and anything below 50 stays the same.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)