1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

99.9% no
  2. SacredMiKeY

SacredMiKeY

When making a TR team about how low should the base speed be to work effectively? And what would be the highest that you could run, and still work?
  3. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

^ When I make TR team, I have 3-4 slow Pokemon, fast type coverage, and maybe an unusual Pokemon that would catch my opponent off-guard. (May not be the answer your looking for but...)
  4. Lucifers Pride

Lucifers Pride

60 Base Speed is a good benchmark for as fast as you should go, but being slower than 90 Speed (Hitmontop, Metagross, etc) is also very good as well.
  5. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

Is there any strategy to taking out a TR team?
  6. Project_Mars

Project_Mars

Pretty much just try to keep them from setting up trick room. Granted, due to a couple of moves (namely rage powder, an apt name given amoongus) this is tricky. If it has been set up, then try stalling it out.

Which leads to a question I really should ask: how do you deal with amoongus? On TR teams he sets it up, and if sleep clause is disabled he can spore your entire team quickly. Would Poison Heal Gliscor be the solution?
  7. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

My plan to eliminate Amoonguss is to send out Latios and Infernape. Infernape fakes out Amoonguss, which would also outspeed its Rage Powder, and Latios uses psychic to take the other one/Amoonguss out.
  8. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

As a general rule, you want your team to be functional under every field effect, or at least be able to reverse the ones it doesn't like (e.g. weather teams). In the case of Trick Room, ideally your team would be able to take hits and fight back even when the other team is "faster." Don't ever make a team that relies on the opponent not setting something up, because then you'll lose every time they do.
  9. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

Alright. That's completely contradicting Mars, but I'd like to hear your thoughts, Voodoo. How would I take out a Trick Room Team with the following Pokemon: Thundurus, Latios, Infernape, Metagross, Ferrothorn, and my last spot is free. I'm not sure what would take its spot, still. Anyways, how would I do it? My first option is to stop them from setting up, in which I would use my Infernape to fake out the one who I guess isn't going to TR, and my Latios to use a Dragon gem-boosted Draco Meteor as a Plan A to take it out. If my entire plan goes awry, and they end up setting up Trick Room, what I'd do from there is switch out my Infernape for Ferrothorn and try to stall with my Latios. My Latios would probably switch out, for starters, to Thundurus, thanks to Prankster, but Thundurus often falls to ice beam, which Cress often carries, and would most likely use against Latios. I would then spam Gyro Ball, power whip, and leech seed to keep myself alive, while my Thundurus tries to stall it out. Is that a sound plan? Or should I switch out to a Metagross as opposed to a Thundurus? But in that case, I'm clear-as-day heat wave bait, so I'm opposed. Ultimately, I have one question. What are indicators of a TR team, and how do I counter one?
  10. PungentFruit

PungentFruit

Usual TR teams have obvious slow moms and TR setters. Some Pokemon should be red flags (such as Dusclops) but others aren't usually used as TR Pokemon (Cresselia). I have a good stuff team and I don't lead with Fake Out. What usually works for me is taking out the partner to the setter if I can't get a good shot on the setter f they lead fake out out. TR setters usually aren't offensive and aren't threats.
  11. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

I agree. I'm more of a goodstuff kind of person myself as well. Is it better to eliminate the setter, or the setter's ally, who is more than likely to use follow me/rage powder?

EDIT: I just re-read your comment. Ignore my question, I didn't catch that the first time. Would Amoonguss be a good setter?
  12. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

Which is [arguably] the more universally useful Hidden Power on Thundurus - Flying or Ice?
  13. Drifblim

Drifblim

I feel Gem is necessary for HP Flying to work well, Tbolt usually grabs the same 2HKOs that non-Gem HP Flying does. HP Ice gives coverage against Dragons, who would be major pains to fight without it, HP Flying just wouldn't do too much. So I would say HP Ice.
  14. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Agreed. I believe that Thundurus should not use a flying gem, as it works well with Electric Gem, Yache Berry, and Charti berry.
  15. Project_Mars

Project_Mars

Amoongus has rage powder and spore, so it's FAR better at being partnered with a setter. And he has a point, a lot of setters are chosen more for bulk than offensive presence.
  16. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. The analysis for the Standard Support set lists HP Flying as the primary option, and the Rain Dance Support set doesn't list HP Ice at all. Flying Gem isn't mentioned on either.

Is HP Flying the better option on a rain team?
  17. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

I see everyone at the VGC knowing someone else there. If I take Battling 202, will I get to meet more people and get training?
  18. Solace

Solace falling slowly
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yes, when Battling 202 opens up, you'll get a tutor who has been to VGC events to help you out and you'll get VGC training.

As for meeting people, you'll generally see big crowds of people who are from Smogon. You should be able to tell pretty quickly, and you can just introduce yourself. Everyone's very friendly!
  19. Drifblim

Drifblim

Maybe on a Rain team, if you have enough other Ice attacks. Might still reccomend Flying Gem. I feel the 2012 analyses have gotten a tad outdated, like most Thundurus are bulky these days and there is no mention of those in Thundurus' analysis.
  20. Charizard21

Charizard21

Question?

Does anyone know where I could find a play by play for the whole masters final match?
  21. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Other than get a time travel device, and go to the worlds site yesterday at 8:30pm 3:30pm, nope.

jrank edit: lrn2timezone
  22. PkmRngrBrad

PkmRngrBrad

23. Thadenvy

Thadenvy

Alright! I'm really looking forward to the 2013 season!
  24. Charizard21

Charizard21

awesome thank you ranger brad
  25. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

Do you have an example of a typical bulky Thundurus?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)