Something along the lines of:
Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef
Nature: Calm
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Taunt
-Swagger
Thanks. So are most not using either Hidden Power now?

Also, I haven't seen a lot of Tornadus lately, but is he still fast and frail, or has he gone bulky too?

Thanks. So are most not using either Hidden Power now?

Also, I haven't seen a lot of Tornadus lately, but is he still fast and frail, or has he gone bulky too?
Bulky Thundurus mainly focus on abusing Prankster with substitute, taunt, thunder wave, etc. That is why it doesn't run hidden power.

Got a question regarding the legality of running a specific Pokemon in my Team. I have a Politoed in my VGC Doubles Format Team and I didn't know whether or not If I can run a Poliwrath in the same team as well even though they evolve from the same Pokemon. Is it legal to do that?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Got a question regarding the legality of running a specific Pokemon in my Team. I have a Politoed in my VGC Doubles Format Team and I didn't know whether or not If I can run a Poliwrath in the same team as well even though they evolve from the same Pokemon. Is it legal to do that?
That's perfectly legal. You can run a Poliwag and Poliwhirl on the same team as well if you wanted to. >_>

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As long as they don't have the same Pokédex number (e.g. you can't run two different Rotom formes), it's ok. Hell, you could do a full Eeveelution team if you wanted to.

A hypothetical question that is not meant to be answered: Why does TPCi make 5 regionals on the same day? That just kills the purpose of going on a cross-country VGC tour. JK

Actual Question: Just wondering if you saw a Jellicent on your opponent's team. What is the likelyness of you attacking it just because you think there gonna pull a Water Spout? (I'm collecting a poll)

Well, I think the likeliness would be kinda high, but a lot of people have to remember that water spout isn't a reliable tactic, so it isn't as used much as you think. It's like Draco Meteor, but instead of being back to full power after switching out, one turn is all it takes to make it useless for the rest of the battle. With that being said, I myself would not attack it, I would switch out my infernape for my Ferrothorn, but if I had the Hitmonchan I've been looking for, I may attack it with my Dragon gem boosted Draco Meteor.

EDIT: I meant Hitmontop

EDIT 2: My Latios' attack will either KO a Jellicent or bring it down to about 16% HP in one hit, so water spout will become pretty useless after one hit. Water spout isn't too common a tactic, so you don't have to make special provisions for it. Make sure you hit them before they hit you.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Lots of Jellicent run Scald in VGC 2012. VGC 2012 has lots of Sucker Punchers and other pokemon that outspeed it even with a scarf. Water Spout is rare, but it does get some spotlight.

Are all the different seasonal regionals the same?

Basically - if the only regional I'll likely be able to make is the Spring regional of Athens, would I still be okay assuming I win there?

Odds are, yes. All three of the metagames at the regionals will be identical. However, don't stop changing your team. Every team has a weakness, and you have to change it after you start seeing results.

EDIT: I was wrong. We will have two different metagames.

Okay, I can't RNG, say I have 26 and up in all the stats that matter. How much of a disadvantage would I be against someone who could RNG. I assume not much because it's only 5 points, but I figure I would ask to see what others would say.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Okay, I can't RNG, say I have 26 and up in all the stats that matter. How much of a disadvantage would I be against someone who could RNG. I assume not much because it's only 5 points, but I figure I would ask to see what others would say.
Assuming your speed is perfect, not much. You may have to rearrange your EVs a bit if you need to survive certain attacks, though.

I normally use TR so speed isn't normally a problem. And defenses are normally 28+. Would I miss out on any important KO's with slightly less IV's?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Depends on what exactly you're trying to do. In general, getting specific KOs isn't as important in doubles since there's a wider variety of common bulky Pokémon and you'll potentially have the partner doing damage as well, so aiming for a specific damage calc usually isn't worth it unless a specific Pokémon gives your team a lot of trouble.

Well I won't know till I test my new team. Thanks for the feedback. One more question, would Whimsicott run well in TR, I figure it would since it runs nothing but setup and support moves.

I live in Dallas. Do I have to attend all 3 Regional Tournaments to qualify for National?
I believe I am correct in saying no, you don't.

IIRC, if you place top 16, you are in.

Who knows though, if you are good enough to place in the first one, going to the other two might be both good practice versus other competitive battlers, plus, a lot of fun, still.

I believe I am correct in saying no, you don't.

IIRC, if you place top 16, you are in.

Who knows though, if you are good enough to place in the first one, going to the other two might be both good practice versus other competitive battlers, plus, a lot of fun, still.
Also you will get more $$$ to pay for your hotel/airfare if you place 2nd or 3rd.

So if you go to 3 regionals and place 1st followed by placing 2nd at the other two - you will have a free trip +$600 spending money.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not the best but Rage Powder Volcarona can take down those mons and also distract their attacks while you set up a Shell Smash.

Also @ the person who asked about going to all the regionals - You don't have to, if nats is still open you won't even need regionals to qualify, you can just win money and byes with the Top 4 (which is pretty good incentive to go). You'll also meet new people and get to try out teams at a real tournament setting!

It's not the best but Rage Powder Volcarona can take down those mons and also distract their attacks while you set up a Shell Smash.

Also @ the person who asked about going to all the regionals - You don't have to, if nats is still open you won't even need regionals to qualify, you can just win money and byes with the Top 4 (which is pretty good incentive to go). You'll also meet new people and get to try out teams at a real tournament setting!
I think Hitmontop would be a better answer, because he can use wide guard to protect from rock slides and heat waves, as they are pretty common threats to Cloyster, but Togekiss/Amoonguss/Volcarona might work if you're fearing direct attacks more.

I think Hitmontop would be a better answer, because he can use wide guard to protect from rock slides and heat waves, as they are pretty common threats to Cloyster, but Togekiss/Amoonguss/Volcarona might work if you're fearing direct attacks more.
He also asked for something that could counter/check metagross and hitmontop gets destroyed by metagross. Therefore, I don' think that works

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
He also asked for something that could counter/check metagross and hitmontop gets destroyed by metagross. Therefore, I don' think that works
Hitmontop is also beaten by Zapdos and Thundurus so yeah, that doesn't really fit his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)