VGC VGC17 Electric TerRain team

Hey guys.

So this is my first attempt at a VGC17 team, I observed what was popular in the meta, saw interesting stuff and wanted to experiment with Terrain teams when some of the mechanics were announced.

The meta is still relatively fresh though, no tournaments in my country have begun yet so I have yet to do serious team testing or research in the field.

Here is my team:

Alola-Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature:Brave
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/116 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed

Moves:
-Flare Blitz
-Shadow Bone
-Bonemerang
-Protect

This was definitely the star of the show early on in VGC17 tourneys, and for good reason, it counters some of the most prominent Ultra Beasts such as Kartana,Pheramosa, Xurkitree but most notably; Celesteela.
even without full Attack EVs, this Marowak will ALWAYS OHKO Celesteela with Flareblitz which is awesome, even if they are 252 HP/252 Def +Defense nature, still OHKO.
Shadow Bone does the same for Tapu Lele and the EVs let Marowak survive a Psychic from Tapu Lele.
Bonemerang is for coverage against Pokemon like Arcanine, or really any Fire or Rock types that otherwise I would have trouble with.
Protect needs no explanation I think.

Alola-Raichu @ Psychium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Speed/4 HP
IVs: 0 Attack

Moves:
-Thunder
-Psychic
-Nasty Plot
-Fake Out

Yeah so Raichu was what I wanted to experiment with, I got giddy with the idea that a 252 Speed Timid A-Raichu with Surge Surfer in Electric Terrain would do alot of damage with Electro Ball.
Not as much as I hoped, so I switched it to Thunder, my Pelipper provides Rain so accuracy isn't an issue and through all that Thunder was stronger. So the only gimmick I had planned for Raichu was halted, I already built a few of my team around him so I am kinda stuck with this unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Psychic to take advantage of its new STAB and hits A-Marowak relatively hard, Nasty Plot for the SpA boost might make it dangerous. Fake Out, er I don't exactly know if it still works on this Raichu like it did in VGC16.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Attack /252 Speed/4 HP

Moves:
-Wild Charge
-U-Turn
-Brave Bird
-Dazzling Gleam

Here's who I thought was gonna be awesome alongside A-Raichu, but on his own he still isn't a slouch.
Wild Charge in Electric Terrain is very strong, with a 75% chance to OHKO Celesteela, Brave Bird with always OHKO even the bulky Buzzwole and do up to 97% to a 252 HP Tapu Bulu.
U-Turn is for pivoting, I opted for this over Volt Switch because of Lightning Rod and Garchomp, I didn't want 2 Electric moves, Dazzling Gleam is for coverage, it is great for spread damage and Garchomp.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP /244 SpA/4 Def/4 SpD/4 Speed

Moves:
-Scald
-Hurricane
-Roost
-Protect

A Pokemon I never thought up using competitively, but GF proves give the most mediocre Pokemon a very useful ability it no longer is mediocre with the right ability.

With Drizzle, Pelipper has made its STAB Scald do respectable damage as it can OHKO Marowak, 2HKO Garchomp

And Hurricane now being 100% accurate it gets an insane secondary STAB, instantly OHKOs Kartana and with Pelippers natural bulk there is not much it can do to it, combine with Roost for recoveru, Pelipper has become one of the most useful Pokemon on my team since it counters what Marowak, Alola Raichu and Tapu Koko are weak too.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP /4 Atk/156 Def/4 SpA/92 SpD

Moves:
-Leech Seed
-Heavy Slam
-Flamethrower
-Protect

Celesteela is very similar to Ferrothorn, very tanky so I capitalized on that, the EVs make sure little goes to waste while retaining that huge bulk
Leech Seed+ Leftovers+Protect allows for great chip damage and stalling, Flamethrower is for types in which I can't rely on Leech Seed (so grass types)
Heavy Slam because it capitalizes on Celesteela's massive weight and STAB

Garchomp @ Yache Berry.
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Att/252 Speed/4HP

-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
-Protect

I needed some dragon power and I thought when in doubt, pseudo legend, Garchomp felt like an overall good choice for the final slot.
This is a standard Garchomp set. Dragon Claw for dragons, Earthquake for secondary STAB
Poison Jab for fairies such as Tapu Lele and Bulu and Protect for protection.

All in all guys, that is my team, in my mind it has quite a bit of synergy but I will always have my doubts.
Last time I was really helped with my VGC career so once again thank you for any important, it will be sincerely appreciated :)

Last edited:
Help is on the way.
I would use Rock slide rather than Poison Jab because Rock Slide is good for hitting both members of the opposing team without damaging your own ally. Poison jab isn't really needed due to Alolan Marowak checking the tapus.
Could surf work on raichu to hit grounds? (I think alolan raichu gets surf due to the design)

Help is on the way.
I would use Rock slide rather than Poison Jab because Rock Slide is good for hitting both members of the opposing team without damaging your own ally. Poison jab isn't really needed due to Alolan Marowak checking the tapus.
Could surf work on raichu to hit grounds? (I think alolan raichu gets surf due to the design)

Thanks for the tips, I agree Rockslide does sound more appealing on a Jolly Garchomp for the speed it can provide and cause flinches, I was just really concerned about the odd Tapu Fini

And Surf would be awesome on Alola Raichu unfortunately it can't learn it naturally through any other method except event Pikachu from the past, it certainly would make A-Raichu appealing on this team if it could though.

Sadly Raichu can only rely on Hidden Power for coverage otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)