Viable Iron Defense Tyranitar?

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking over what Tyranitar can learn and, why not Iron Defense? It's got a pretty good base Defense and it can force a switch or two. Yeah, I know, probably won't work out all that well. But I figured that it might work out.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers/Expert Belt
Nature: Relaxed (+Defense, -Speed)
EVs: Really have no clue on what the EVs should be. I'm thinking lots in Defense, some in Special Attack, and some in HP.
-Stone Edge
-Thunderbolt/Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Iron Defense

I think. With one Iron Defense, it can eat Earthquakes from your average Garchomp and Weavile doesn't seem so tough any more. Heck, Close Combat from Ape won't have a hope to OHKO.

I'd have to imagine it's because of its typing and the fact that its just so much better at other things.

4x to fighting and 2x to ground is baaaad news for any physical wall

IMO I'd use Curse over Iron Defense. TTar doesn't need speed TOO much, and with Curse you're also boosting attack for a way to sweep. TTars kinda fragile (weakness wise) to be boosting his defense (and defense alone) anyway.

That is, considering TTar still gets Curse. lol

It may seem fine, but is it worth it? You can have a devastating monster with decent type coverage and good viable movesets, or you can have this Iron Defense thing which will most likely be switching out due to it's weaknesses. This makes the set practically useless. Most of the common physical sweepers have a a move that counters Tyranitar. Most are faster too. They will get in a super effective hit before you can even Iron Defense. This makes the set a wasted slot in your team as it will be KO'd before it can do anything.

Yeah, curse seems superior in this situation...what are the advantages of Iron Defense? Any damage calcs? I have a feeling "nape won't hope to OHKO" just becomes "Nape scores a 2HKO, and isn't OHKO'd by Stone Edge" or something similar.

dragon dance is far better than curse and iron defense. just because to kill stuff BEFORE it even gets a chance to hit u HENCE sweeping things like infernape/ salamence skarmbliss heatran etc with ease.

another reason is u will not get then chance to powerup your iron defense because you will be attacked.by its lots of weaknesses waters grass get a free switch on iron defense grass on tbolt and water on icebeam

overall this thread sucks

Mmm... Iron Defense will not stop Tyranitar's counters. Ice Beam will not 2HKO Hippowdon, and Swampert will rip this apart.

It will slow them down though (not mixpert).

I guess it could work with Rest and Toxic Spike support... and a lot of luck...

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Something interesting I found is that after 2 Iron Defenses, TTar will survive a CBed Heracross Close Combat

If there are better options, then why? To be different? Just use something like Flareon if you want to be different.
It could work late game... sort of...

Iron Defense
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch

Unless Iron Defense is an egg move.

Hey blastoiselover100! I'm not studying for finals either! Horray for sucking!

I dunno, with weaknesses to moves like EQ, Close Combat, Meteor Mash and stuff, I'm pretty sure Iron Defense isn't gonna save it's butt. You'll have to switch out too often to make this work. In theory, it sounds good, but I'm sure if you tested it, it wouldn't work so well.

I dunno, with weaknesses to moves like EQ, Close Combat, Meteor Mash and stuff, I'm pretty sure Iron Defense isn't gonna save it's butt. You'll have to switch out too often to make this work. In theory, it sounds good, but I'm sure if you tested it, it wouldn't work so well.
Damn straight.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
curse is good for a TR team
How enlightening, I never would have thought something that lowered your Speed would work on a team based on, uh, having low Speed.

In all seriousness, Curse+Trick Room can only work if the Curser has Trick Room itself; support will give you 3 turns under the influence, or barely enough time for two mediocre attacks.

Iron Defense T-Tar, unfortunately, can't save it. Defense Curl Blissey, on the other hand...

It could work late game... sort of...
Iron Defense
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch
Why would you do that? After a Dragon Dance or two which you should've done while setting up Iron Defense you outspeed everything anyway and won't be taking hits... unless you're afraid of Mach Punch :\

Back in advance I got swept by a guy who passed acid armour(same as iron defense) from vaporeon to tyranitar. The problem with this strategy now is that the attack split into D/P made ttar weak to special fighting attacks too (aura sphere and random hidden powers), thus decreasing the effectiveness of this strategy because you have to worry about special attacks much more. I guess the spdef boost from sandstorm helps, but tyranitar has no business setting up his own defenses. If you want to use a def up tyranitar, I suggest baton passing it from another poke.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Why not just use the DDTar? They can't touch you once you pull off 2 DDs anyway. Also, you'd have enough ATk after the two boost to OHKO everything rather than just stalling which I assume Iron Defense TTar would do.

Boosting defense isn't really going to help with 4x weak to fighting.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
It just isn't worth it on Tyranitar, who can do all sorts of other things. Why eschew the terror that is CBTar, DDTar, or Boah for that? Defense boosts have never been worth too much anyways unless they came with a corresponding offensive boost, such as with Bulk Up or Calm Mind, and Tyranitar just isn't suited to being a wall. Sure, it has a bunch of resistances, but it also has a bunch of weaknesses; that setup is pretty good for an offensive Pokemon, but terrible for a defensive one.

Barrier/Iron defence are only worth it on Cradily, and only then when enemy steel and poison types have been cleared out.

Spending turns using Barrier/Amnesia/Iron Defence is like holding up a flag saying "Crit me to death please". Unless youre using it with substitute for some weird strategy, it wont work.

Now TTar, with his multitude of weaknesses, the most shattering one being Fighting, has no business trying to tank with anything but the Boah set. Really its like using CBBlissey, its just not practical.

Just a sidenote: after being passed 1 SD to it, Max Atk Adamant LOBliss hits 338 attack 0.o

With CB attached, it reaches 390 attack, but CB highly hurts its versatility :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)