Project Victim of the Week

Forgive me for asking, but are their actual definitions for how the words 'hard' and 'soft' are being used?

I have no idea what a soft counter or a hard check is or what's the difference...

I know what a hard counter is (since that's very traditional and is basically the definition of a counter). Otherwise sounds pretty subjective all.
i think soft counter is the poke that can deal easily with the poke it counters, but deal more difficult if another factor is up like SR or some previous damage for example.
Basically, i think the soft counter and hard check differentiate from other counter and check is how they perform when having taken damage from residual damage

It's a bit tricky IMO.

For example, the Rhyperior set I gave can switch into *anything* except Close Combat from a +2 Mega Pinsir and then force it out/KO it.

Buuuut since most Pinsirs run Close Combat and it's possible for Rhyperior to come in on a Mega Pinsir at +2, it's not exactly a super uncommon situation. Thus, Rhyperior doesn't win 100% of the time. However, is this still a "hard" counter?

It's a bit tricky IMO.

For example, the Rhyperior set I gave can switch into *anything* except Close Combat from a +2 Mega Pinsir and then force it out/KO it.

Buuuut since most Pinsirs run Close Combat and it's possible for Rhyperior to come in on a Mega Pinsir at +2, it's not exactly a super uncommon situation. Thus, Rhyperior doesn't win 100% of the time. However, is this still a "hard" counter?
in +2 situation i believe saying "soft" counter is better because you need to keep it in good health to deal with pinsir. Maybe consider a check make more sense?

Check

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus can come into +0 Return as well as +2 Quick Attack and OHKO it back with Thunderbolt. Close Combat hits for at most 39% at +0 allowing Thundurus to get in easily on its coverage moves, but loses to +2 Close Combat plus Quick Attack. With its 111 base speed, Thundurus can outpace Mega Pinsir fairly easily as well but only reliable beats it at +0
i don't think Thundy has to take a +2 return or CC since you usually switch it in immediately and use faster T-bolt to KO mega Pinsir. And you should give some damage calculator http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

It's a bit tricky IMO.

That's what I was wondering myself when I submitted my Aggron counter in. I had thought it fit soft better due to it needing to Mega Evolve but I believe yours is hard still.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Forgive me for asking, but are their actual definitions for how the words 'hard' and 'soft' are being used?

I have no idea what a soft counter or a hard check is or what's the difference...

I know what a hard counter is (since that's very traditional and is basically the definition of a counter). Otherwise sounds pretty subjective all.
The way they've been used so far:

A soft check is something that can't switch in, or can only switch in on one or two moves, usually moves that aren't spammed. An example would be ScarfChomp for ScarfKyu-B. Garchomp can take an Earth Power, a Fusion Bolt, an Iron Head, or a Hidden Power Fire on the switch with ease, and can OHKO Kyu-B. Its flaws though are obvious, since if it switches in on Substitute, Outrage, Dragon Claw, or Ice Beam, it's doomed.

A hard check is something that is almost a counter, but fails for some reason(s). One example I remember was Rohail's nomination of Alomomola as a hard check for bulky-dd Charizard-X. The reason it was a check and not a counter is because while it walls it at +1, it has no offensive presence and is thus setup bait. Toxic will wear Charizard down, but fishy can't threaten it as much as say Quagsire or Rhyperior can.

A soft counter is something like Zapdos for Pinsir. Zapdos is always 2HKOd when Pinsir is at +2, but always OHKOs, is never OHKOd, even after rocks, and has recovery to help it.

A hard counter is obvious; something like Quagsire for Mega Scizor.

idk if these are official or anything - they're just what we've been using so far :)
rhyperior is, unarguably, the best mega pinsir counter in the game.
Just gonna post this funny replay I had to affirm this; Rhyperior is amazing.
Aragorn the King if you link every mon in the archive with a pastebin of their set, i think there should be a discription for each pokemon's set and how they work, what each ivs' spread is for.
Okay. I added all of the mon's sets to the archive, and when I have like 30 mins or so I'll add their descriptions.

Anyway the c&cs look great so far! Don't forget to add some sets to the archive, like linkinparkrules has done with his great Heracross nomination!

Last edited:
The way they've been used so far:

A soft check is something that can't switch in, or can only switch in on one or two moves, usually moves that aren't spammed. An example would be ScarfChomp for ScarfKyu-B. Garchomp can take an Earth Power, a Fusion Bolt, an Iron Head, or a Hidden Power Fire on the switch with ease, and can OHKO Kyu-B. Its flaws though are obvious, since if it switches in on Substitute, Outrage, Dragon Claw, or Ice Beam, it's doomed.

A hard check is something that is almost a counter, but fails for some reason(s). One example I remember was Rohail's nomination of Alomomola as a hard check for bulky-dd Charizard-X. The reason it was a check and not a counter is because while it walls it at +1, it has no offensive presence and is thus setup bait. Toxic will wear Charizard down, but if fishy can't threaten it as much as say Quagsire or Rhyperior can.

A soft counter is something like Zapdos for Pinsir. Zapdos is always 2HKOd when Pinsir is at +2, but always OHKOs, is never OHKOd, even after rocks, and has recovery to help it.

A hard counter is obvious; something like Quagsire for Mega Scizor.

idk if these are official or anything - they're just what we've been using so far :)

Just gonna post this funny replay I had to affirm this; Rhyperior is amazing.

Okay. I added all of the mon's sets to the archive, and when I have like 30 mins or so I'll add their descriptions.

Anyway the c&cs look great so far! Don't forget to add some sets to the archive, like linkinparkrules has done with his great Heracross nomination!

Still think Meggron does it just as well...... xD

Check

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Really didn't have too many options this week as I was late
Went to with special defensive Ampharos as it counters some special attackers.
It also loves less Pinsir running EQ these days
Modest 16 gives it some good fire power, while preserving bulk
16+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 284-336 (104.7 - 123.9%)
Even if Mega pinsir does run eq it can tank unboosted ones
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 238-282 (61.9 - 73.4%)

can also tank +2 cc +2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 286-337 (74.4 - 87.7%)

Good team support are heal bellers to wake it up. Also pairs well with bronzong and other things that beat ground types.

Last edited:

Counter

Even though Aegislash was banned, we still have his middle-form, Doublade. He takes negligible damage on a switch-in and can OHKO with rock slide. And for those that are going to get 2HKO'd soon by it being +6 if it gets there, destiny bond can work for this. The calcs can show how 2 telepathic swords are better than one giant-ass bug.

Pinsir Calcs:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Frustration vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 58-69 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Frustration vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 116-137 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Frustration vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 231-273 (71.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (if Doublade came in on a free switch, use destiny bond)

Doublade Calcs:
252+ Atk Doublade Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (nuff said)

And here is the set i used:
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond
- Rock Slide

Check

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Really didn't have too many options this week as I was late
Went to with special defensive Ampharos as it counters some special attackers.
It also loves less Pinsir running EQ these days
96 spa guarantees ko with volt switch 96 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 272-324 (100.3 - 119.5%)
Even if Mega pinsir does run eq it can tank unboosted ones
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 238-282 (61.9 - 73.4%)

can also tank +2 cc +2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 286-337 (74.4 - 87.7%)

Good team support are heal bellers to wake it up. Also pairs well with bronzong and other things that beat ground types.
Have a free like for using Ampharos :)

Anyway 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD Modest is an EV spread I would prefer. The 248 HP EVs mean you take 1 less point of damage from every source of passive damage, from status to hazards to sandstorm, so it easily outweighs having 1 more HP of bulk. Then, you trade 8 SpD for 17 SpA which is a pretty good deal imo.

Have a free like for using Ampharos :)

Anyway 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD Modest is an EV spread I would prefer. The 248 HP EVs mean you take 1 less point of damage from every source of passive damage, from status to hazards to sandstorm, so it easily outweighs having 1 more HP of bulk. Then, you trade 8 SpD for 17 SpA which is a pretty good deal imo.
hm seems like a good spread. guess losing little special defense isn't so bad

well, pinsir is one of the best pokèmon right now and obviously has very few counters / pokèmons that can do a nice job checking it. rocky helmet skarmory and physical defensive rotom-w are probably the best at doing this. another pokèmon that can prevent pinsir to sweep whole teams is thundurus, it isn't a solid switch in of course because return hits rly hard, but it's one of the best pinsir revenge-kills if not the best. manectric can do a nice job too and if played well it can even switch-in on pinsir thanks to intimidate (and it's still a great revenge-killer ofc). however, probably the best way to prevent pinsir to setup and doing massive damages is to put stealth rock on the field as soon as possible, even if it isn't rly easy to maintain them up because of rapid spin and defog (mostly because the second one).

also i forgot about talonflame, it is one of the best pinsir revenge-killer as well because of priority brave bird (feint isn't actually that used, and it only OHKOs after sword dance on a talon weakened by Stealth Rock anyway).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Week 8:
Thanks so much for the eight checks and six counters to Mega Heracross! The only bad part of this is having to eliminate some solid entries. So, as always, feel free to PM me if you're wondering why your/a entry wasn't chosen.

I recently noticed that in the OP I said:
Every generation is different and the metagame is constantly changing. However there has always been and always will be threats. Whether they are defensive threats or offensive threats, every competent player should have a way to handle top-tier threats. That's where you guys come in! This project aims to gather some of the common top-tier threats in the metagame and find Pokémon that can either check or counter them.
However, all threats so far have been offensive. Therefore I'll try to add some defensive ones in, starting this week. This week, we'll do specially defensive Gliscor!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Taunt
- Earthquake

Specially defensive Gliscor is a very annoying Pokemon that has come into popularity recently, due to its ability to wall top-tier threats and annoy stall teams. But, what walls it? What makes its life miserable. That's for you to tell me!
Also, don't forget to submit checks to Kyurem-B and Greninja, who are still missing some. Thanks to linkinparkrules for being the first to submit a missing check! You can also submit some to Mawile, but its state in OU is kinda in limbo.

Last edited:
Week 13:
Thanks so much for the eight checks and six counters to Mega Heracross! The only bad part of this is having to eliminate some solid entries. So, as always, feel free to PM me if you're wondering why your/a entry wasn't chosen.

I recently noticed that in the OP I said:

However, all threats so far have been offensive. Therefore I'll try to add some defensive ones in, starting this week. This week, we'll do specially defensive Gliscor!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Taunt
- Earthquake

Specially defensive Gliscor is a very annoying Pokemon that has come into popularity recently, due to its ability to wall top-tier threats and annoy stall teams. But, what walls it? What makes its life miserable. That's for you to tell me!

Also, don't forget to submit checks to Kyurem-B and Greninja, who are still missing some. Thanks to linkinparkrules for being the first to submit a missing check! You can also submit some to Mawile, but its state in OU is kinda in limbo.

Oh this gonna be a good one then. Always enjoy fighting defensive mons.....course this one is gonna be a sillier of mine just cause I always find this one comical.

Check

Banana(Crawdaunt) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

The mighty Banana Daunt has come to bring the hammer down! Wit enough bulk to live the EQ of common Gliscor, Craw will be able to retaliate with the Hammer of Crabs, whittling the poor thing to its demise. Even fully invested Gliscor is not safe from the Craw's wrath, but all is not sun shine for this Lobster. It invests in speed in order for it not to be embarrassed by being outsped by Heatran so it must be very cautious with the hits it takes as the EQ from this gliscor does:

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 118-141 (44 - 52.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

So if you are even feeling safer I believe, you can decide to forgo the might of his Crabhammer and go for the 2hKO with Aqua Jet after you have successfully switched in. The Knock Off, while their for customary STAB, is also useful if you wish to try neutering any switch ins, and could possibly get that Orb off of Gliscor but no sane person would do that at all. Super Power is really only there just to if say you want to hit Steels/Ice types a little harder (knock off does its close enough but people got preferences).

All in all, the Lobster is a fun offensive check even if not usually thought of.

Counter

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 148 SpA / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Gliscor can do nothing to Gengar aside from Taunt it when it first switches in and just throw away pp after that while Gengar can outpace Gliscor with ease and threaten a 4hko with Shadow Ball, but with having to retaunt Gliscor every few turns it will obviously take longer than 4 turns. Gengar can also abuse the fact Gliscor can do nothing to it and sub up for later and fully heal its health.

148 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 112-133 (31.8 - 37.7%) -- 69.6% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Check

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EV's: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Ice Punch
-Knock Off

Conkeldurr with an Assault Vest is a great tank for any team, and it also shuts down SpDef Gliscor. If it comes in on a Toxic, Guts will raise its Attack to extremely high levels. Earthquake does nothing to it, and Taunt is useless. Ice Punch can nearly OHKO, and will OHKO with a small amount of prior damage. The reason I put this as a check however, is that Earthquake still does some damage, and Conkeldurr doesn't have a direct form of recovery. The best it has is Drain Punch, which can be taken advantage of by a good player. If Spikes are put up, it gets worn down very easily. However, I'm still not clear on the exact definition of a check and counter, so if this is a counter to Gliscor, please let me know, and I'll edit the post.

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 109-129 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 316-372 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Counter

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin/Sword dance

This particular gliscor can't even touch excadrill with air balloon intact
Standard EdqeQuake coverage
Iron head Stab
Spin if your team needs it or dance for sweeping
I use sand rush, but mold breaker good for dead washing means.
More speed or bulk also possible.

Granted you can't do much back, but you will eventually stall out roost
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 123-145 (34.7 - 40.9%)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 77-91 (21.7 - 25.7%)
If facing fast gliscor or you have bulky exacadrill:
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 153-180 (43.2 - 50.8%)

Just keep balloon safe.

Be careful to scout for knock off first.

Good partner for sand rushcadrill is ttar or hippo for sand

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Check

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Although Mamoswine cleanly KOs Gliscor with 3 hits of Icicle Spear or 2 hits with an Ice Shard I'm going to call this a check simply because an EQ from Gliscor does around 34% - 40% and Mamo can easily be worn down in the long run with EQ and Toxic. Feel free to change the Check/Counter as you see fit. As mentioned before, Mamoswine is one of the most consistent answers to Gliscor, and even more so its specially defensive variant as it loses significant bulk to tank ice hits from Mamoswine. This variant of Mamo doesn't really care about Taunt or Roost as it is more prone to EQ and Toxic but if you need a solid answer to Gliscor as well as other things in OU, Life Orb Mamo is always a viable option to consider.

Counter

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 192 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

M Venusaur does a pretty well job at walling Gliscor, Toxic is useless against it and EQ does pretty much nothing, while Giga Drain does a ton of damages (252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 118-141 (33.5 - 40%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal) and if Gliscor wants to Roost, it will be just hitted by a x2 Giga Drain making things even worse for itself. EV spread is taken from CBB and Unbirthday's RMT and it's the best for offensive M Venu, nothing else to explain I guess. M Venu tanks pretty well Taunt Gliscor and it's an useful answer for other pokèmons as well (Keldeo, Azumarill and Mega Mawile for example) which makes it an all-around good mon in general.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Frost Breath

Counter

Mega Abomasnow can hard counter Specially Defensive Gliscor very well. Doesn't care on what it goes into. It then sets up hail. Mega evolves and OHKO's with blizzard with no worries. This really works when I tried it out. And it fits alexwolf's description of a counter.

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 66-78 (17.1 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 50-59 (13 - 15.3%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 736-868 (209 - 246.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I guess this works the best. Now you can say "thanks Obama" and be proud of it! :)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Check

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados. All it needs to do is avoid the Toxic, and thats why its a check and not a counter, because if it switches into Toxic then it's kinda bad for Gyarados. Otherwise, Gyarados can Taunt Gliscor and turn it into complete set up bait and then eventually KO with Waterfall. No real explanation needed, we all know how Gyarados works.

COUNTER

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

Poison Heal Breloom is quite underused and for good reason. It can't really full off being defensive with having a bad typing in the current meta, and having horrible defensive stats. But in situations like specially defensive Gliscor, this set can come in handy. Not only can Gliscor do absolutely jack with an Earthquake, 0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 62-73 (23.5 - 27.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal, Breloom can easily set up an SD and go and kill it. Or you can go for 2 and assure being able to kill it even with Roost.
+2 252 Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 216-255 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
+4 252 Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 324-382 (92 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Counter

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Naughty nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

KyuB can simply plow through Gliscor's defenses with most of its common moves (with the exception of Fusion Bolt and Earth Power). Iron Head is the only move on this set that does not have the potential to, at the very least, 2HKO Gliscor without crithax or prior damage

KyuB:
56 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 567-676 (161 - 192%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 126-149 (35.7 - 42.3%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 282-333 (80.1 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 188-224 (53.4 - 63.6%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Last edited:
Counter

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 24 HP / 148 SpA / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Gliscor can do nothing to Gengar aside from Taunt it when it first switches in and just throw away pp after that while Gengar can outpace Gliscor with ease and threaten a 4hko with Shadow Ball, but with having to retaunt Gliscor every few turns it will obviously take longer than 4 turns. Gengar can also abuse the fact Gliscor can do nothing to it and sub up for later and fully heal its health.

148 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 112-133 (31.8 - 37.7%) -- 69.6% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal

I would like to add a variation to the Stall Gengar set, one that will allow it to take advantage of it's burns on special targets more effectively and in our case, use Gliscor's badly poisoned status against it:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 24 HP / 160 SpA / 84 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Enough speed EVs to outspeed Keldeo and dump the remaining EVs into SpA:

160 SpA Gengar Hex (130 BP) vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Hex even after the buff can be hard to justify but on a set where your primary purpose is to taunt and burn stuff with less EV investment in SpA, it delivers, and in our case it makes a joke out of Gliscor. It also 2HKOs Mega Venusaur after SR and Burn damage. You can choose to outspeed Garchomp instead and pump the rest into SpA, but that is up to your teambuilding preferences.

Check

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Weavile serves as a check to Gliscor, being only 2HKOed by Gliscor even after Stealth Rock while outspeeding and OHKOing with Ice Punch. However, I named this a check mainly because Weavile is very frail, and it can be worn down by switching into Stealth Rock or Life Orb recoil.

Knock Off can used to punish predicted switches, and Ice Shard can revenge kill Pokemon like Scarf Garchomp.

Low Kick allows Weavile to act as as a soft check to Greninja as well, OHKOing after Stealth Rock while barely surviving Hydro Pump in return.

This is the standard Smogon set with EVs to outspeed Greninja and do maximum damage. Overall, a general revenge killer that happens to beat Gliscor as well.

Check

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Coverage Move

Nominating Keldeo as a check. It beats Gliscor reliably, and unlike most other checks you don't really give up much by running Keldeo on your team, since he's effective in a wide range of situations and fits in nicely in every team composition except maybe stall. You don't even need to sacrifice a moveslot for a coverage move to take down Gliscor, since your absurdly powerful water STAB is enough.

Offensively, Keldeo outspeeds and OHKOs Gliscor, even specially defensive variants. If Keldeo is carrying Life Orb and Gliscor is at full, it has to rely on Hydro Pump's less than ideal accuracy to OHKO, but in any other situation it can pick up the OHKO with Scald, simultaneously threatening a burn if the opponent decides to switch.

LO, full HP Gliscor:
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 429-507 (121.8 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Scald vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 312-369 (88.6 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

LO and prior damage (such as rocks):
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Scald vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 312-369 (88.6 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Specs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 356-422 (101.1 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keldeo is also not a terrible switch-in to Gliscor. Ideally you switch in as it heals with Roost, or you bait out a Taunt with a defensive mon (most Keldeo sets run 4 attacks so being taunted does nothing to you). But if you switch into Toxic it's not the end of the world, and Earthquake only manages a 3HKO, even with both rocks and spikes up (any more hazards on your side of the field and you're doing something wrong). Keldeo isn't a counter, since you can't switch into Earthquake too many times, but it's a better check than most since it can switch into Earthquake twice and OHKO back.

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 112-133 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 112-133 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)