Video Game Motion Sickness?

As much as I can say I love video games, I have to admit I really have not played that many series at all... and I owe it to how I get really sick when I play the majority of your mainstream games.

It seems that whenever I play games where the camera view shifts (no matter how small the amount), I get sick at the stomach, sometimes even to the verge of nearly throwing up. The first time I noticed this was years ago when I was at my friend's house and watching her play Banjo Kazooie on the N64. Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time, Silent Hill, Kingdom Hearts, etc... they all make me sick, sadly. The only games that haven't made me sick are the ones from an aerial view (like all Pokemon games and RTS like Warcraft III) or side-scrolling (like pretty much all fighting games).

So I was wondering if there's anyone else out there that's experienced this before, and if so, is there any way to remedy it. >_> For once, I'd really like to be able to play through a whole game, and not just the first 2 hours of it.

I have never heard of that before. My guess is that it is treatable in the same way regular motion sickness is.

That's pretty weird, I guess you would expect that from flying simulators and the alike, but not games like oot and silent hill :x

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wolfenstein 3d was the worst game ever for this..

Like the original one that was 2d but called 3d for some reason.

Have a nice day.

Wolfenstein 3d was the worst game ever for this..

Like the original one that was 2d but called 3d for some reason.

Have a nice day.
one of my friends had real problems with wolfenstein 3D. i would start the game and hold the left key, causing the POV to rotate, and he would simply get up and leave. he said it made him feel sick.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 give that to me. Halo 1 for some reason doesn't... either that or I just don't remember it.

Most FPS games, and the original sonic games give me motion sickness.

One of the editors of one of the best polish video gaming magazine has this 'sickness', too... Talk about irony. AFAIK, it's quite common.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's usually in first person games that most people experience this issue. Thankfully I don't have the problem. I didn't even feel any motion sickness during Cloverfield. A few of my friends said they had to look away a lot =/

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
SeaBands worked for me against regular motion sickness when I was a kid...dunno if they'll work for just viewing something on the screen, though. Give 'em a try?

i believe a mild form of epilepsy would likely cause your motion sickness caused by games. it helps if you focus on the center and dont move your eyes with the camera.

i have never had any problems with motion sickness from video games or in any other form.

while playing Mario Galaxy I got motion sickness a few times just because it got nauseating going upside down and even that one time I went into this "sphere" that wasn't a sphere but a bowl like thing. It really fucked with my head at the time lol.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know exactly what you mean, I can't get into a game long enough to get addicted anymore. I never seem interested in games as there's nothing that's keeping me play it. The only way I would continue playing them if I have had games from a certain series that I played before (in earlier versions), ie: Dragonball Z, Need for Speed and the Fifa collection. Them sort of games kept me playing, as I had completed the previous ones, and I had this feeling, this urge, that told and kept me on it, saying that I must complete this game. If I stopped, I'd feel in-complete. This, I'd go back to it and finish the game off.

Now, I just don't get that feeling, and my lovs for games and their respective consoles have gone. I just can't care for them now, so I can't help you to get into them, unfortunatly.

When I play video games, my stomach never seems to hurt, but sometimes I will get a slight headache. The only two real wii games that I have tried are galaxy and corruption, both of which cause me to put the controls down after about 30-60 min; whereas, I can play super mario 64 or ocarina of time, in two-four sittings.

Taking motion sickness pills just to play games sounds a bit... extreme, haha.

It was particularly embarrassing when I was playing Silent Hill with my friend. She thought I was just feigning sickness because I was chickening out.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Motion sickness is the very thing that haunts me in video game playing and often ends up making me feel all sick playing some FPS games

guitar hero has made me dizzy a little bit if you play a really hard song and you just focus for like 6 straight minutes and don't blink at all <_<

but other than that, never had problems.

i just remembered. if you ever have a motion sickness problem the best cure is ginger. whole organic ginger works the best. just take a bite of it and it will cure ANY kind of motion sickness.

I occasionally suffer from motion sickness, especially when I play my DS in the car :P . Super Mario Galaxy is a bitch with all the gravity changes, running upside-down, and lack of depth perception while doing so.

Also, recently I've been playing GH2 and it freezes (I have a 6 year old PS2). Then the bar streches and goes backward... it's hard to explain but is extremely nauseating- almost made me throw up a couple times. It also doesn't help that the bar "clicks" into a stopping position occasionally (you know, like when you enter mauville city on a bike while breeding in emerald).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)