Volbeat (BW2 Update) [QC: 0/3]

[Overview]
  • Access to a very rare move in Tail Glow.
  • Baton Pass to pass Tail Glow boosts.
  • Great ability in Prankster.
  • Gained Roost for a reliable recovery in BW2.
  • Has a variety of Support Moves.
  • Low attacking stats.
  • Not very good bulk.
  • Taunt completely shuts it down.
  • Stealth Rock weakness makes it difficult to pass very often.
  • MonoBug isn't a very good Defensive typing.
  • Competition from Smeargle as a Baton Passer.
[SET]
name: Baton Passer
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Tail Glow
move 3: Encore / Bug Buzz
move 4: Substitute / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Prankster
nature: Calm
evs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Can pass +3 Special Attack to an awaiting ally.
  • Encore can trap set-up sweepers or hazards setters into the same move.
  • Bug Buzz is an option that hits for a decent chunk of damage after a Tail Glow and allows for it to not be Taunt bait.
  • Substitute blocks all status and freely brings in it's ally.
  • Thunder Wave is an option to cripple any fast Pokemon, but Substitute is usually more useful.
  • Leftovers is always the item of choice as it provides slow but steady recovery.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Tailwind is an option over either of the last two slots to provide support for all of it's team, but it doesn't last long enough to be effective.
  • Roost provides a solid recovery, but it would rather be setting up than healing.
  • Sunny Day and Rain Dance are also an option in the last moveslot to provide weather support, if you choose to use either of these options, use Damp Rock and Heat Rock as the item of choice.
  • The EV's provide the best bulk as possible on the special side, as it does have a decent 75 Special Defense, and all of its non-attacking moves get +1 Priority, so it does not need to invest in speed.
  • Good receivers are Pokemon that really need the extra power, or just simply want to hit so much harder. Examples of this are Typhlosion, Galvantula, and Accelgor.
  • Accelgor in particular makes a nice partner, as it really appreciates the extra power and has such a high speed it is hard to be revenge killed.
  • Rapid Spin support is nice as it allows Volbeat to set up and pass multiple times, a good partner for this is Kabutops, who can take on the Fire and Flying types that don't give Volbeat room to set up.
[Other Options]
  • A gimmicky option is Confuse Ray, but is very reliable and not worth a moveslot.
  • Moonlight provides a somewhat unreliable form of recovery, but weather neuters it and it is entirely outclassed by Roost.
  • It can use Siesmic Toss for a steady form of damage.
  • A full out Special Attacking set consisting of Tail Glow / Bug Buzz / Thunderbolt / Giga Drain with a Life Orb could work, but it is no where near fast enough and doesn't have the bulk to stay around very long.
  • It's Attack is higher than its Special Attack and it does have a plethora of Physical moves such as U-Turn, Acrobatics, Ice Punch, and even Focus Punch, but it's Attack isn't the greatest and again, its Speed really hinders it.
  • A Lagging Tail or Orb + Trick could work, but it doesn't have the space to use it.
  • Toxic can cripple any wall, but it takes a precious moveslot and is usually not worth it.
  • Finally, Sleep Talk can be used to reliably check the many Sleep inducers, but it is very unreliable, however it does get priority thanks to Prankster.
[Checks and Counters]
  • In the strictest sense, it does not have a true counter that attacks, as the many Fire and Flying types get crippled by Thunder Wave.
  • Taunt completely shuts it down, rendering it useless.
  • Phasing moves such as Whirlwind, Haze, Dragon Tail, Circle Throw, and Roar remove all of it and it's allies stat boosts.
  • Stealth Rock limits the number of times it can come in and boost.
  • Pokemon that do not mind paralysis such as Manectric and Lanturn also can reliably beat it.
  • If it chooses to use Bug Buzz, Steel, Poison, Flying, and Fire types all wall it to no end.
  • Cannot reliably pass if the opponent is not giving it room to set up.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Where in the world is the Rain Dance set? Volbeat is like, the best rain setter in the tier thanks to Prankster Rain Dance, and also has T-Wave to help rain abusers. I'm also hesitant to call Tail Glow Pass viable; look here as to what needs to be done. Do that and I'll come and take a look later.

Where in the world is the Rain Dance set? Volbeat is like, the best rain setter in the tier thanks to Prankster Rain Dance, and also has T-Wave to help rain abusers. I'm also hesitant to call Tail Glow Pass viable; look here as to what needs to be done. Do that and I'll come and take a look later.
Ok, I shall add the Rain Dance set. The reason I would consider Tail Glow viable, is how rare it is and the ability to pass +3 to something like Magmortor can be devastating! And so far, I have U-Turn / Rain Dance / Thunder Wave on the set that I am writing up, what is the fourth move that should be added?

Tail Glow is definitely viable. It's worse than Rain Dance, but its not really outclassed by Mr. Mime entirely because its faster than everything and can actually invest in its bulk so it can use moves like Encore with priority and Thunder Wave while being able to take hits, so its more geared as a pure supporter - its a bit easier to pass off stuff but Volbeat can't use the stuff it boosts. On that note, the spread should be physically defensive because of the resistances Bug has (Ground and Fighting) being physical. However, Bug Buzz isn't even slash-worthy imo because Volbeat has such as horrible special attack - move it into AC or OO.

Make the last slot Encore on Rain Dance.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lol no, that was my fault; I accidentally put a space between Ditto and Crow, but then found out my mistake and edited my post, sorry :<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)