Volt-Turning Balanced Rain Team (currently at 1700+ on the Showdown ladder)

Hi everyone! Welcome to my first ever RMT. This team currently holds a 1717 rating (as I type this) on the Showdown ladder from 14 games (12 wins and 2 losses; on 1 of my alts). I decided to post this team here to gather feedback on how to improve the team. Without further ado, let's jump right into the RMT!

Teambuilding Process​

There was a sweeper that I really wanted to try out, and that is Choice Scarfed Moxie Gyarados. I chanced upon it while reading its OU analysis and it seemed like a solid sweeper in its own right. The choice scarf is rather uncommon on Gyarados, and when used well can catch many opponents offguard. By wielding the choice scarf along with a Jolly nature, it can outspeed the whole unboosted metagame.

With Choice Scarf Gyarados came mandatory Rain since rain powers up Gyarados' STAB move of choice, Waterfall, as well as eliminating Sun. I went with the physically defensive spread on Politoed for greater longevity to win the weather war.

Bulky Waters and water type-immune Pokemon wall Gyarados, examples include Gastrodon and Jellicent, both of which are immune to Waterfall and can burn Gyarados with Scald. Thus, to counter Bulky waters, I introduced 2 pokemon to the team, the first being Celebi. Specially defensive Celebi can take on the majority of bulky Waters, and it takes a pittance from Jellicent's uninvested Shadow Ball. Celebi is my No.1 Go-To counter for Gastrodon and it does its job admirably. It also acts as a status absorber for my team with Natural Cure. With reliable recovery in, of course, Recover, along with its ability to get switch initiative with U-Turn and crippling offensive pokemon with Thunder Wave, Celebi is a valuable addition to my team.

Jolteon grabs the second spot in defeating Water types, as well as Grass types. It completes my Volt-Turn core. I use the Choice Specs over Life Orb for slightly more power. Also, life orb's recoil does not appeal to me considering that Jolteon is frail and needs all the health it can get. The extra power on the choice specs allows Jolteon to OHKO Thundurus-T after Stealth Rock damage, which is really helpful since Thundurus-T, after an Agility, could otherwise plough through my team if Celebi is weakened. Its coverage moves can hit a number of Pokemon super effectively which adds to its use on my team.

At this point, I did not have a Stealth Rock user. I also lacked a check/counter to opposing weather inducers. Stealth Rock Terrakion fits the bill perfectly. It can deny opposing hazard setters like Deoxys-D their hazards with Taunt while being able to set up its own Stealth Rock. My team would be helpless against Ferrothorn if not for Terrakion. The Focus Sash on Terrakion bails me out of several unfavorable scenarios.

I realized that hazards could cripple my team and only relying on Taunt on Terrakion to stop hazards is not reliable. I looked no further than Tentacruel, which has amazing utility on rain teams. I have debated using the Toxic Spikes set or the SubToxic set, and have chosen the T-Spikes set as having walls toxic-ed could aid me greatly in getting my Gyarados snowball sweep.

The Team In-Depth​

Politoed (It Will Reign)
Trait: Drizzle
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Bold Nature
Moves
Scald: Scald is a given on a bulky water. It provides reliable STAB with a great burn chance. Nothing much to say about it.
Perish Song: The team lacks a phazer so I put Perish Song on Politoed to act as a semi-reliable Phazer. It works brilliantly against bulky set-up sweepers that do not have a super effective move to hit it, like CM Latias. It also seals the deal against any last Pokemon.
Toxic: Although the team already has T-Spikes support, Toxic works on Levitate users and Flying types and can still do the job if Tentacruel cannot set up toxic spikes yet. Toxic whittles down the HP of bulky Pokes to soften them up for a Gyarados sweep.
Protect: Protect is great in tandem with Toxic and Perish Song. On the former, Protect stalls out 1 turn of toxic damage, allowing it to rack up more quickly. On the latter, it stalls 1 turn of Perish Song. Protect is also useful for scouting potentially choiced Pokemon and recovering an extra turn of Lefties.

Politoed's role on the team: Politoed is just there to set up permanent rain. It occasionally phazes with Perish Song and cripples walls with Toxic, which is very nice. It has surprising bulk, 90/75/100 defenses ain't shabby.

Terrakion (Red Bull)
Trait: Justified
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Moves
Taunt: Terrakion can easily take the lead spot against Deoxys-D teams, and can shut Deoxys-D down with Taunt. Taunt also works on any other hazard setter or status inducer.
Stealth Rock: Every team needs Stealth Rock, and Terrakion can do just that. It can scare out opposing weather inducer leads like Tyranitar and take the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock on the switch.
Close Combat: Powerful, STABed, 100% Accurate, inconsequential side effect. A staple on every Terrakion.
Stone Edge: Stone Edge complements Close Combat very nicely. Although the miss chance is rather frustrating, the power drop from Rock Slide is very noticeable.

Terrakion's role on the team: Oh man, Terrakion is a beast! It sets up Stealth Rock reliably, shuts down hazard setters and hits like a truck. 129 base Attack is nothing to sneeze at, and only the most defensive of Pokemon can withstand a single super effective hit. Terrakion is my only way of denting Ferrothorn. It does 66-78 % to Max HP Max Defense Ferrothorn, allowing me to send in a Pokemon to revenge kill the weakened Ferrothorn. The Focus Sash has saved my team from sweeps by some of OU's hardest hitters like Dragonite.

Gyarados (Saving Gya)
Trait: Moxie
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Jolly Nature
Moves
Waterfall: A staple on Gyarados. With the rain boost, Waterfall dents anything that does not resist it even before a Moxie boost. The handy flinch chance could potentially help me out in certain situations although I do not like to rely on hax to win.
Ice Fang: Provides coverage against Grass types and Dragon types. It's useful for revenge killing +1 Spe Adamant Dragonite, among other Pokemon.
Earthquake: Gives valuable coverage on Pokemon like Tentacruel and is decently powered too.
Stone Edge: QuakeEdge coverage. Hits Flying types harder than Ice Fang unless the Pokemon is x4 weak to Ice Fang.

Gyarados' role on the team: It's the sweeper. The team goal is to weaken or eliminate its checks and counters to go on a Moxie boosted rampage. Waterfall will be the main move that it is going to use; the coverage moves are usually only needed early/mid-game. This Gyarados set surprises many players, allowing Gyarados to net more kills. Enemy Jolteon that think that they can easily revenge kill Gya without a DD boost are met with a Waterfall to the face. Provided that Stealth Rocks are off the field on my side, Gya can also act as a revenge killer.

Celebi (Jeremy Celebi)
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP, 232 Sp.Def, 24 Spe
Calm Nature
Moves
Giga Drain: Celebi is on the team due to its Grass STAB, which destroys Gastrodon even without Sp.Atk investment. Giga Drain also works well when my HP is low but I cannot afford to spend one turn using Recover.
Recover: As a defensive Pokemon, reliable recovery is always appreciated. It helps me stall out toxic-ed Pokemon that Celebi can handle.
U-Turn: U-Turn is great to build momentum for my team. Celebi can force a switch when up against Pokemon like Gastrodon and Rotom-W and instead U-Turn on the predicted switch, giving me switch initiative.
Thunder Wave: Celebi can take advantage of the fact that offensive Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Volcarona love to switch into it, Thunder Wave will cripple them for the rest of the match.

Celebi's role on the team: It's there mainly for Gastrodon and Water types in general. It can cripple Pokemon with Thunder Wave, significantly reducing the threat. U-Turn is great utility not just for switch initiative, but sometimes to finish a severely weakened Pokemon off. For example, Giga Drain does 63-74% to Max HP Max Sp.Def Gastrodon, and with a little bit of prior damage I can KO it with U-Turn, thus not sacrificing momentum.

Jolteon (Get Fuzzy)
Trait: Volt Absorb
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp.Def
Timid Nature
Moves
Volt Switch: Volt Switch is there to build momentum and still packs a punch. It is great to use against Pokemon that I can threaten out with it.
Thunder: I chose Thunder over its more reliable cousin, Thunderbolt, for its raw power and a potential paralysis. To demonstrate Thunder's power, here are a few damage calculations: Thunder against offensive neutral natured Salamence- 94-111% (68.75% chance to OHKO without Stealth Rock ) Thunder against standard Choice Band Tyranitar in the sand- 45-53% Thunder against specially defensive Forretress- 72-85% It should now be quite obvious that Thunder packs a punch on anything that is not a bulky resist and is not named Chansey or Blissey. Preserving the permanent rain is key to nuking everything with Thunder.
Signal Beam: It punches holes in opposing Celebi and dents the Lati twins pretty hard. I use it very occasionally, but its ability to get past Celebi with ease lands it in my set.
Hidden Power Ice: Pseudo BoltBeam coverage going on. Gets a guaranteed OHKO on Thundurus-T after rocks damage (I've mentioned this before). Hits Ground types, Grass types and Dragon types super effectively.

Jolteon's role on the team: It's a scout and a nuke combined into one. Early game, when there are Pokemon to take Thunders, I go for Volt Switch. However, towards endgame, when counters are weakened or gone, I can go to town with Thunder. The coverage moves catch Pokemon on the switch that want to switch into my Electric STAB. Being the fastest Pokemon in the OU tier, I can revenge kill just about any non-scarfed offensive Pokemon with the appropriate move. At full health, it can survive a Timid unboosted Focus Blast from Thundurus-T after Stealth Rock damage and proceed to OHKO with hidden power. Jolteon is my Special Attacking powerhouse that can do work against many teams.

Tentacruel (You jelly?)
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP, 236 Def, 20 Spe
Bold Nature
Moves
Scald: Just like Politoed, Tentacruel appreciates the burn chance.
Toxic Spikes: The defining move of Tentacruel. T-Spikes really wears down walls to the point where they cannot stop my Gyarados. Residual damage is always welcomed.
Rapid Spin: The main reason why I am using Tentacruel. Gets rid of hazards on my side, allowing my Volt-Turn strategy to do work and allows a heavy hitter to pop in and demolish something without hazards stripping them of precious health each time they switch in.
Protect: Great move to use on Tentacruel, allows it to recover 12.5% health (from lefties and rain dish) at the end of every turn, stalls for 1 turn of toxic damage and scouts for choiced attackers.

Tentacruel's role on the team: If there are no opposing rapid spinners or T-Spikes absorbers, Tentacruel can set up T-Spikes. If there are rapid spinners or absorbers, then I most probably will not be using T-Spikes, at least until they are gone. Its main job is to spin away hazards and checks some of OU's offensive powerhouses like Terrakion and Lucario.

Threats​

Each team has its weaknesses, and this team is no different. The following is a list of possible threats to the team.

Breloom: Techloom could potentially destroy my team if it sitting at high health. Celebi is my only Pokemon that can resist both of its STAB moves, but even then I cannot hit the Breloom hard without Psychic. If Terrakion's sash is borken, it cannot take a Mach Punch. Gyarados only does 64-75% with an unboosted Ice Fang, Breloom can then put it to sleep or kill it with Bullet Seed.

Ferrothorn: If Terrakion goes down before it can land a Close Combat on ferro, I'll have to count on a burn, hax or Perish Song to win.

Garchomp: Chomp can pose a threat to my team depending on its item. If it holds the choice scarf, it outspeeds my whole team. I will have to play around it by predicting the move that it will lock itself into. However, if it is the SD set, I am not afraid of it as my Jolteon can outspeed and OHKO with hidden power ice. If it is the SubSD set, I will have to break its substitute, which probably means that something is going to get sacrificed.

Gastrodon: If I somehow lose my Celebi, Gastrodon will be a pain to take down.

Haxorus and Salamence: If they set up 1 DD, they can outspeed my entire team. Salamence is a bit more problematic due to Moxie. I will need to preserve Terrakion's sash for the revenge kill. And pray that Stone Edge finds its mark.

Latias and Latios: I fear the offensive sets because of the raw power. a life orb/choice specs Draco Meteor nukes everything on my team. Even Celebi cannot take a Choice Specs Draco Meteor from Latios, it has the potential of being 2HKOed on the switch depending on damage rolls.

Thundurus-T: The thing about Thundurus-T is that it is so versatile. It could be running a choiced set, expert belt or a set-up sweeper set (agility or nasty plot). My best bet is Jolteon which can be OHKOed with a life orb boosted focus blast with a little bit of prior damage from the agility set. I will have to play around Thundurus-T very carefully, setting up Stealth Rock ASAP, preserving my Terrakion's sash and ensuring that Jolteon is healthy.

Venusaur: If my opponent wins the weather war, Venusaur will run train on my team. It outspeeds and OHKOes everything after a Growth boost and Terrakion's Stone Edge only does 62-74% and is 2HKOed taking into account the focus sash, and Venusaur can heal all the way up with giga drain. Against sun teams packing Venusaur, it is of utmost importance to win the weather war.

Possible Changes​

Politoed: Ice Beam, Encore or Hypnosis could be used to replace a moveslot, but I find that this Politoed set works best for the team.

Terrakion: Swords Dance or Rock Polish could be used in place of Taunt for added offensive pressure, but I find that Taunt has more utility.

Gyarados: Bounce could be used over a coverage move to hit grass types for big damage and do decent damage on Ferrothorn, but a 2-turn move on a scarfed set is quite a bad idea.

Celebi: Psychic could be used in place of Recover or another move to beat Breloom, damage Thundurus-T and deal neutral damage to types that resist giga drain.

Jolteon: Shadow Ball could be used over Signal Beam to deter pokemon like Salamence from setting up in your face when you are locked into Signal Beam, but that means that Jolteon loses the ability to wallop Celebi.

Tentacruel: The SubToxic set could be used over the standard T-Spikes set since I do not have a spinblocker on my team and thus setting up hazards could be futile. This is the main possible change, along with the possibility of dual STABs on Celebi.

Importable​

It Will Reign (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Toxic

Red Bull (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Saving Gya (Gyarados) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

Jeremy Celebi (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 SDef / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Get Fuzzy (Jolteon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You jelly? (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 Def / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Thanks for reading my RMT! Please feel free to leave a rate or give me some advice on changing up the team. Constructive criticism is welcome. ~RoadOfZenith

Your Pokémon are too slow.
I kinda feel that stealth rock on terrakion=wasted potential
A suggestion for you could be to use weavile, since it outspeeds and deals with everything on your threat list except ferrothorn and gastrodon and besides, weavile is a BAMF.
Your team lacks priority and revenge killing.
Dragon dance instead of ice fang on gyarados, IMO
〜メタナイト

Your Pokémon are too slow.
I kinda feel that stealth rock on terrakion=wasted potential
A suggestion for you could be to use weavile, since it outspeeds and deals with everything on your threat list except ferrothorn and gastrodon and besides, weavile is a BAMF.
Your team lacks priority and revenge killing.
Dragon dance instead of ice fang on gyarados, IMO
〜メタナイト
Thanks for the rate! You might have missed out the fact that my Gyarados is scarfed and therefore it does not run a boosting move. The suggestion to get a Weavile is rather good, but I think Mamoswine is arguably a better candidate for the job due to greater bulk, more resistances and an immunity to boot, which could help me to switch into Mamoswine on Thundurus-T provided that my opponent does not predict the switch and instead goes for focus blast or grass knot.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there, interesting Rain team, I've used Jolteon as well and can vouch for its awesomeness :)

imma firin mah lazor is right about your team being a little bit slower than it could be. I know from experience that Terrakion is a pretty great lead, but on this team I feel he could really be your glue as a Scarfer. Of course, if you make that change you'll need a Stealth Rock user, and Celebi is the only one who learns it. I'd replace U-turn. I'll admit U-turn is pretty useful, but it should be pretty obvious when something is going to switch, so a double switch can be almost as effective. Rotom-W can't even Volt Switch out if you switch to Jolteon. Recover is pretty essential seeing as you need it to brush off Draco Meteors from the Latis. If you can Paralyze them it'll be much easier to handle.

So now that Terrakion is a Scarfer, I'd use the Bulky Dragon Dance set for Gyarados:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Substitute

Okay, so this set would take care of a lot of your current threats to the team. Breloom can't do very much thanks to Intimidate, Taunt and Bounce OHKOs of course. The speed hits 251 which after a DD outspeeds Tornadus-T, but you may want to bump it up a bit to outspeed Jolly Breloom, up to you. Save for a Scald burn, there's not much Gastrodon can do to this set (especially with Substitute). Venusaur loses to Taunt and Bounce, Gyara outspeeds and KOs Thundurus-T and deals massive damage to the rest of your Threats at +1. You might find that a simple 252 Attack / 252 Speed Moxie spread works better, but DD Bounce Gyarados will really help you out.

Again, props for using Jolteon, the only thing I hated was the fact that it gets locked into moves so you might find Life Orb to be a better option. I do love Specs for the no recoil factor though.

Well, that's about all the changes I'd make to your team, so I hope I helped a bit. Best of luck!

Hey there, interesting Rain team, I've used Jolteon as well and can vouch for its awesomeness :)

imma firin mah lazor is right about your team being a little bit slower than it could be. I know from experience that Terrakion is a pretty great lead, but on this team I feel he could really be your glue as a Scarfer. Of course, if you make that change you'll need a Stealth Rock user, and Celebi is the only one who learns it. I'd replace U-turn. I'll admit U-turn is pretty useful, but it should be pretty obvious when something is going to switch, so a double switch can be almost as effective. Rotom-W can't even Volt Switch out if you switch to Jolteon. Recover is pretty essential seeing as you need it to brush off Draco Meteors from the Latis. If you can Paralyze them it'll be much easier to handle.

So now that Terrakion is a Scarfer, I'd use the Bulky Dragon Dance set for Gyarados:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Substitute

Okay, so this set would take care of a lot of your current threats to the team. Breloom can't do very much thanks to Intimidate, Taunt and Bounce OHKOs of course. The speed hits 251 which after a DD outspeeds Tornadus-T, but you may want to bump it up a bit to outspeed Jolly Breloom, up to you. Save for a Scald burn, there's not much Gastrodon can do to this set (especially with Substitute). Venusaur loses to Taunt and Bounce, Gyara outspeeds and KOs Thundurus-T and deals massive damage to the rest of your Threats at +1. You might find that a simple 252 Attack / 252 Speed Moxie spread works better, but DD Bounce Gyarados will really help you out.

Again, props for using Jolteon, the only thing I hated was the fact that it gets locked into moves so you might find Life Orb to be a better option. I do love Specs for the no recoil factor though.
Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate them. You do have a point with the fact that my team does not have a fast scarfer. I will switch the movesets up and see how it goes, hopefully for the better. Celebi suffers greatly from the 4 moveslot syndrome so 1 useful move must be given up for a potentially better move. Thanks again for your advice!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Why are you using taunt on Terrak? You have Tentacreul! Just use Swords Dance so you can be a bit more intimidating, since Taunt is only used when your SR weak and you want to prevent opposing set up. Put 4 Evs in SDef over HP; 4 evs in hp gives you an even # of health and increases SR damage so I would advise against it and 4 in SDef protects you against PO Genesect.

I'm going to second Ala's suggestion on running DD Gyara. I would use LO on Jolteon since it hits hard enough and switching moves is idealistic. Since this team has an offensive playstyle, I recommend Nasty Plot Celebi over your current set for more power and speed:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I would also change Poli's set for a Scarf set, since the extra speed boost is more benefitial than the bulky set. I would use Surf / Pump / Ice Beam / Encore with 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef spread. You're leading with Rak anyway.

That's it really. If you find Tenta a dead weight you can use the offensive spread or go with Bulky Starmie, but I think these changes are just fine. GL testing!

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

This team is pretty cool, but there are some weak points. So first off, Dragon-Types look really threatening. You have no Steel-Types, and your scarfer is rather slow. This makes +1 Dragons very dangerous to your team, and they have multiple opportunities to setup. For this reason I would heavily second Ala's changes. Scarf Terrakion is a fantastic scarfer in this metagame and is a great DD Dragon check. With a Choice Scarf on Terrakion, Gyarados's role as a scarfer becomes superflous. DD Gyarados suits your team well and is a really anti meta Pokemon atm.

So the other major threats to your team seems to be LO Gengar. Nothing on your team really enjoys taking Shadow Balls, and Gengar can outspeed the majority of your team. Celebi seems to be the most replaceable Pokemon on your team atm, as its job is pretty well handled by the rest of your team. For this reason I would recommend Specially Defensive Jirachi > Celebi. Jirachi not only gives you a solid answer to Gengar, but it also gives you a Dragon-Type resist. Jirachi also helps with Lati@s who could otherwise be threatening. A moveset of Thunder / Iron Head / Wish / Stealth Rock would work well on this team. The Wish support would also help with your team's longevity as most of your team lacks any form of recovery. Anyways, cool team gl.

Hey there! I really like the originality of this team since it's the first time I've seen anyone use a scarfed gya:) Like what some of the others mentioned, set up sweepers could really give this team trouble. I'd recommend a scarfed latios for the role of revenge killer. It outspeeds +1 volcarona, +1DD salamence and even modest venesaur, keeping them in check while allowing other pokes in your team to do their job. Anyway, good luck with your team and have fun!

I have switched Terrakion to the scarfed set, took out U-Turn for Stealth Rock on Celebi and changed the Gyarados set to the SubDD set. Thanks again for all your suggestions, they mean a lot to me.

So I went to test out the team with the above changes. It has worked wonders for me. SubDD Gya is such a big threat! In a match with a friend, I found the opportunity to set up with Gya on his offensive Tentacruel, and went to town despite him having a Rotom-W. SubDD Gya gets past the washing machine with absolute ease, and it is usually one of the main counters to Gya. Scarfed Terrakion patches up holes in my team with its revenge killing abilities, rendering DD pokes at +1 not threats at all. Celebi can set up rocks against something it walls, like Rotom-W, making it extremely easy to get up my rocks early game.
I want to thank everyone who has rated this team, in particular, ala, for giving me great suggestions. Please feel free to continue to provide constructive comments and have a great day!

I think, if you are adding Jirachi to your team, if you are feeling particularly dick-ish that day, have both water pulse and thunder on the same Jirachi, so it can screw around with the opponent being both paralysed and confused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)