WakAttack - a OU Marowak RMT

----------------------------------------------------

Hi there! This is my first RMT on Smogon. Important note at first: I´m a somewhat strange player, as I can´t seem to win anything if I don´t use U-Turn for switching(or Baton Pass, it´s kinda the same). Following that, my team consists mostly of Pokemon that can use that moves or Pokemon that take advantage of being u-turned to.

Also to note: Even though I use this team in battling simulators as well, it was originally designed for WIFI. That means it probably has problems with the Rotom-Appliances and Celebi(which is almost non existent in WIFI due to the lack of distributions. In this thread I would like to make this team good enough for Shoddy standards.

This team´s theme

I built this team after watching a Youtube video about an awkward Marowak set with 252HP and Def(and Iron Defense). I liked the set and wanted to build a team with it(the only change I made, was using SD over Iron Defense).
So that´s pretty much it. I want to set up a Wak sweep. As Marowak is pretty slow and I didn´t feel like trick-rooming, I decided to go for paralysis support. U-Turn also helps the sweep as I can get Marowak in without a scratch barring SR.

History

Of course, a Marowak sweep has to include Marowak^^ So here it is. Next thing I wanted, was a lead, preferably with SR and U-Turn AND TWave. Azelf and Uxie were my main choices here. I went for Uxie because of considerable bulk.

Next, I came up with a plan how to actually spread paralysis. Pairing Uxie with another TWaver sounded good, so Jirachi came in.

My old teams always died because of the lack of answers to common threats. So I looked for a utility counter that could handle Gyara, Mence and most steels. I found Porygon2.

Next, I wanted another sweeper besides Marowak. With U-Turn. I found it fast: Infernape entered the stage as a fast instant hitter.

Now for the last pokemon, I saw, that my team lacked a reliable revenge killer. Easily found: Scizor provides great revenge killing potential and the strongest U-turn in the game.

Finally, I got to play with this team and was very satsified with it until I ran into CroCune. It was able to bash through the whole team =/ I thought of some ways to deal with it(and stall) and replaced Nape with StallBreaker Gliscor. Worked decent, but still didn´t help against Cune due to Gliscor´s typing. Then, I changed the lead:

Azelf finally helped out with Cune. It´s still shakey, but at least I´m not totally helpless anymore. Cune is one of the issues to be dealt with in this thread(hopefully)

The team:

Azelf@Focus Sash
Jolly
252Atk 252Speed

- Thunder Wave

- U-Turn
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

>>> Azelf is my first Para inducer. He also takes care of the opponent´s lead by paralyzing or exploding, altough I prefer to keep him until midgame to blow up dangerous pokemon or strong walls. It has a slight chance to KO Suicune with Explosion and poses a threat just by being on the field, due to Explosion. Even tough it now has Focus Sash I still like to use it with max HP. Whichever I like.

I act accordingly to my op´s lead:

If it´s a faster taunt lead for sure, I just u-turn out to a pokemon capable of dealing with it.

Swampert lets me set up Rocks easily, even if they attack, then eats Explosion, because most teams with Swamp don´t have another water tank.
If Nape, I take the FO and Twave afterwards, so it won´t get in my way later. Then SR myself.
Azelf is a pain. I usually go for U-turn, as it can cripple me with Taunt. Trickzelf annoys me, but as Azelf isn´t meant to stall it´s not that much of a problem.
Against Heatran, I SR and then Twave, hoping it won´t explode.
Metagross is like Heatran(tough I won´t twave). I usually get my Rocks, but Boom makes me worry.

Roserade - I´m not sure if it´s still popular in OU, didn´t face it yet. I just switch to Gon2 as he will trace Natural Cure.
Machamp - Didn´t see one yet. Will explode tough, as it seems quite dangerous.

Togekiss@Lefties
Bold
252HP 176Def 80SDef

- Roost/Wish
- Air Slash
- TWave
- Aura Sphere

>>> A little more bulk for my para inducers was suggested. I went for Togekiss following the rates and I like it. I tried Roost and Wish, since I almost never used Wish earlier and Togekiss likes instant recovery. As usual, I went for balanced defenses to ensure that it doesn´t have to switch against every physical pokemon. It should also be able to handle Machamp to some extent, but I wouldn´t bet on that.

Porygon2@Lefties
Bold
252HP 60Def 40SpAtk 156SDef
Trait: Trace

- Icebeam
- Discharge
- HP[Ground]
- Recover

>>> Utility counder no.1 to me. Porygon2 may be NU, but it survives a lot and beats a lot with it´s great movepool and trait. Icebeam is obviously for Mence and the likes, Discharge covers Gyarados and various flying types. Plus, it has a good chance to paralyze.
HP[Ground] is to make use of Gon´s ability to come in on any steel type with ease, most notably Magnezone and Heatran. I used to run HP[Fire] there, but aside from Forry and Scizor, it doesn´t hit much.
The EVs make sure that Gon2 has (almost)same DefenseStats on both sides of the spectrum.

Infernape@Life-Orb
Naive
252Atk 64SpAtk 194Speed

- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Mach Punch
- U-Turn
>>> Infernape is strong enough to defeat some pokemon without boosting and threatens the opponent constantly. Close
Combat makes a great STAB, while Overheat is another great Hit&Run option. Mach Punch is mainly there to stop Lucario from sweeping. Stone Edge has too shaky accuracy and is not really needed as my other team members have many ways to deal with flying types.

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
252Atk 246HP 12Speed
Trait: Technician

- Bullet Punch
- SuperPower
- Pursuit?
- U-Turn
>>> It´s really hard to write anything you don´t know about the most used pokemon^^"
He is my Revenge Killer and fits in great because of his U-Turn. I honestly didn´t think too long here. Maybe there are options for this team slot that help me more.
For now he did a good job killing off pokemon and dueling with other Scizors(usually for my win)
I didn´t use Pursuit often until now tough. Most Gengar stayed in against my Scizor and were killed by Bullet Punch. Any ideas for that slot?

Marowak@Thick Club
Impish
252HP 252Def 6Atk
Trait: Rock Head

- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch?
- Swords Dance

>>> Marowak reaches astounding 350Def with these EVs and still has 394Atk from Thick Club. After one SD it deals crazy amounts of Damage with EQ and survives plenty of neutral hits. It can survive HP[Ice] from defensive Zapdos, if at full health and KO back, something that I think is amazing, considering that this beast is NU. I don´t even want to know how much it wrecks in lower tiers.
The third slot constantly switches. I had Double Edge there for neutral damage and Fire Punch to deal with Scizor and Forry. Thunder Punch is there to eliminate any Watertank that still lives and is slower than Marowak. Not sure about that.

I recommend slapping on a Focus Sash on Azelf.
Also for Machamp leads, I suggest Exploding right off. Stealth Rocks isn't worth the damage LeadChamp can do to your team.

Okay, will try that, thx. With max HP, however, Azelf is bulky enough to survive some hits, so I´m not 100% sure, as it does its job quite well. It wasn´t exactly designed to be a suicide lead, but to support my team.

Suggestions for the Watertank problems btw?

Ok, I can see your basic idea behind the team, but I can't help but think that it isn't set up well. Azelf and Jirachi fill similar roles, and neither seem bulky enough to take out a whole team, as notably few Pokemon will actually switch into them.

Setting up for a sweeper can be many things, Entry Hazard abuse, Baton Passing, but you've opted for Status abuse, making things a bit harder.

Roserade and Smeargle are the standard status inducing leads leads, and Roserade abuses Toxic Spikes, but I'm getting off topic.

One potential option over Jirachi is Togekiss, getting the same Parahax, Thunder-Wave, and Wish. Body Slam is also an attack to consider on both Togekiss and Jirachi, as Thunder-Wave is useless on Ground-Types, and even a boon for Electivire and Jolteon.

Another welcome addition to your team would be Blissey, and I honestly think she could help a great deal. Blissy causes Switches, leaving Thunder Wave to be abused all the more, and has access to Wish, Toxic, and Protect. Switch Jirachi to a lead, and she can go easily over Azelf.

I'm not focusing on Entry Hazards or Stall, as you seem to be relying more on Paralysis. Entry Hazards aren't as necessary, as Marowak's raw power doesn't need opponents pre-softened, and a Spin Blocker doesn't blend well with the team.

There are better utilities then Porygon2. Starmie in particular comes to mind, having Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Recover, and even Grass Knot to deal with your Bulky Water problems, not to mention the always welcome Rapid Spin. Heck you could even run a Suicune yourself.

But I can honestly say for this Particular team, you may want to look into Lanturn. Lanturn is a wonderful option in my experience. Access to BoltBeam while resisting it himself, bulky, and can even confuse, causing more switches, and leading to more Paralysis. Discharge is an option over Thunderbolt to add to the Paralysing fun.

Your backup Sweepers are tried and true, so there's little improvement needed on them. I'm not familiar with Physical Infernape, so I can't give much advice here, but changing to MixApe would give you more options.

As for Marowak, all I can recommend over Thunder Punch is Hidden Power Grass. Bug was used in the classic Nickwak, but Psychic types are uncommon now.

Not sure if I helped, as I know I didn't give you any new sets. I'm much better at spotting problems then designing counters to them. But I hope that it can inspire some creativity. Good luck. I've been a Marowak fan since GSC, so it's great to see him not fall by the wayside.

Ok, I can see your basic idea behind the team, but I can't help but think that it isn't set up well. Azelf and Jirachi fill similar roles, and neither seem bulky enough to take out a whole team, as notably few Pokemon will actually switch into them.
(...)
One potential option over Jirachi is Togekiss, getting the same Parahax, Thunder-Wave, and Wish. Body Slam is also an attack to consider on both Togekiss and Jirachi, as Thunder-Wave is useless on Ground-Types, and even a boon for Electivire and Jolteon.
Tried Togekiss. It did a very good job. I think I´ll keep that one^^ Jolteon and Vire were handled easily until now, btw. They both cannot get past Porygon2(with their Abilities traced) except for CH Cross Chop(which is not bound to happen)

Another welcome addition to your team would be Blissey, and I honestly think she could help a great deal. Blissy causes Switches, leaving Thunder Wave to be abused all the more, and has access to Wish, Toxic, and Protect. Switch Jirachi to a lead, and she can go easily over Azelf.
I´m not a fan of that pink egg, just because it is boring. It´s worth to think about it, tough, as Nape almost always switches in.

Entry Hazards aren't as necessary, as Marowak's raw power doesn't need opponents pre-softened
SR is needed tough, to keep Mence and Gyara from freely fleeing from Gon2.
But I can honestly say for this Particular team, you may want to look into Lanturn. Lanturn is a wonderful option in my experience. Access to BoltBeam while resisting it himself, bulky, and can even confuse, causing more switches, and leading to more Paralysis. Discharge is an option over Thunderbolt to add to the Paralysing fun.
I´ll try Starmie and Lanturn, altough, I don´t think Lanturn will prove as good as you say. It lacks Recovery and Defense Stats AND Porygon and Starmie can both do what Lanturn can.

Your backup Sweepers are tried and true, so there's little improvement needed on them. I'm not familiar with Physical Infernape, so I can't give much advice here, but changing to MixApe would give you more options.
Well, the set I use, was listed as MixApe =/

As for Marowak, all I can recommend over Thunder Punch is Hidden Power Grass. Bug was used in the classic Nickwak, but Psychic types are uncommon now.
Hidden Power with 122 SpAtk?
Not sure if I helped, as I know I didn't give you any new sets. I'm much better at spotting problems then designing counters to them. But I hope that it can inspire some creativity. Good luck. I've been a Marowak fan since GSC, so it's great to see him not fall by the wayside.
Some of your ideas have proven useful so far^^ Thx for rating.

Yeah, now that I think about it, lack of recovery is an issue. Still try Starmie, but I overlooked how useful Trace can be, so you may indeed have the better option picked already.

Speaking of your better ideas, after some calcs, keep the Azelf, it's a much better lead then Jirachi, as I suggested.

I was back in the GSC days when I suggested Hidden Power, sorry about that.

I'm glad I could help, I'm looking forward to the updates to this team.

Would you be willing to let me try out this team myself?

Would you be willing to let me try out this team myself?
Feel free to try it out^^ Btw this also goes for everyone else who looks at this thread: If you want to try the team before rating, just do it. I´ve no problem with that, in fact, I appreciate it.

Ok, well, here's the things I've noticed, though it could be from me playing it wrong. Marowak himself, rarely gets a chance to switch in, but I'm probably underusing U-Turn, but in the matches I've played, I've been winning before he ever reaches the field.

I've been using Azelf and Togekiss, and I found an unexpected pleasure in the moveset Body Slam, Wish, Air Slash, Encore. Encoring is fun, as Togekiss doesn't have access to U-Turn, and can Encore a setup for an easy switch.

I'm still testing Thunder Wave for more reliable Paralysis, as well as Roost, as Togekiss isn't showing the bulk necessary for Wish, and Protect over Encore in the final slot. It is working well, but I haven't found the right moveset and EV spread.

Scizor, again maybe I'm playing it wrong, but the lack of move switching in Choice Band isn't working well. He hits hard with an attack, but there's no way to U-Turn out after a revenge kill. Changing the item, would also give yo9u access to Roost.

As for your support role, Porygon2 has been doing a decent job, but not great, but Lanturn didn't last nearly as long as Porygon2. I'm still testing Starmie in that position though.

Suicune is a beast against this team, with the only real answer being Explosion while it sets up using Calm Mind, (luckily Suicune tend to stay in on Azelf, though one switch to a Ghost, and you're in huge trouble.) Grass Knot on Infernape and Thunder Punch on Marowak are both putting your counter on a Pokemon weak to Water, and Porygon2 just isn't bulky enough to be reliable, despite Recovering.

Maybe I'll try Grass Knot when I test Starmie, and it has Thunderbolt anyway.

Anyway, just letting you know what my experience has been so far. Again, looking forward to when you do a formal update.

I've been using Azelf and Togekiss, and I found an unexpected pleasure in the moveset Body Slam, Wish, Air Slash, Encore. Encoring is fun, as Togekiss doesn't have access to U-Turn, and can Encore a setup for an easy switch.
That´s actually a good idea(Encore), will try that. Wish is not THAT useful actually, imo. My bulkier things have instant recovery and my sweepers are too frail to survive a wish "pass". Without it, the team is pretty much a one-way road with no turning back, but that was the idea - to crush everything in the first attempt.

Scizor, again maybe I'm playing it wrong, but the lack of move switching in Choice Band isn't working well. He hits hard with an attack, but there's no way to U-Turn out after a revenge kill. Changing the item, would also give yo9u access to Roost.
That´s the standard set, actually. Almost everyone plays it like this. The idea is to scout with U-Turn and finish off weakened foes - meaning that your main move should be U-Turn until lategame. Against Gengar and Azelf, however, Bullet Punch is the better option, as it seems to be a trend now to try and stay in to kill with Flamethrower/HP[Fire]

As for your support role, Porygon2 has been doing a decent job, but not great, but Lanturn didn't last nearly as long as Porygon2. I'm still testing Starmie in that position though.
Just as I thought. I hadn´t the chance yet to try other options than Gon2, will try Starmie soon.

Suicune is a beast against this team, with the only real answer being Explosion while it sets up using Calm Mind, (luckily Suicune tend to stay in on Azelf, though one switch to a Ghost, and you're in huge trouble.) Grass Knot on Infernape and Thunder Punch on Marowak are both putting your counter on a Pokemon weak to Water, and Porygon2 just isn't bulky enough to be reliable, despite Recovering.
Special attacks seem pretty pointless to me there, as Cune will soon have one or two CM, but I never faced Cune yet, when I actually tested TB or GK...

BUMP

Tried Starmie by now. I play it with Choice Specs and it works well: It kills off Dragons, Gyaras and Flying types and Waters and is a great way to gripple Trickers. It doesn´t last as long as Porygon but whatever^^ This IS an offensive team after all.

Encore didn´t prove as useful as I thought but maybe that´s just me. I´ll go for Thunder Wave, Air Slash, Aurasphere, Roost here.

Hey, why not just baton pass speed to Marowak? If you do, Ninjask is the obvious way to go
I think that would be a good way to go if you're focused on the marowak sweep, but he's trying to have this be purely an offensive team. And Ninjask doesn't really have a spot on this kind of team.

Well, actually, this IS supposed to set up a Marowak sweep. I don´t think that contradicts weith being an offensive team, right? But in my opinion, purely focusing on one pokemon sweeping(and thus speed passing in this case) is disadvantageous, because:

1. Unflexibility: A speed boost pass would be great for Marowak, but only Wak alone. Let´s say if it dies, I´m left with nothing. If I instead paralyze as much as possible, I can use that for backup pokemon as well, with no delay.

2. Passing is to easy to counter. In my case here, I tend to have problems with watertanks and most of them(Swamp, Cune, Vaporeon) CAN carry Roar. It´s just too unsave. Even tough I have to try it yet.

2 things you want for a Marowak sweep, first is high physical defence, second is speed.

What I recommend is a bulky Impish Ninjask, so you can at least get a +2 Speed, and possibly even a Swords Dance off, and then Baton Passing to an Acid Armour/Wish/Sub/Baton Pass Vaporeon, who resists and can set up in the face of Scizor's BP, and then finally passing Marowak, who can fend of Scizor's attacks [if he is still around], and there aren't much common priority moves other than Physical, so thats all you would need.

2 things you want for a Marowak sweep, first is high physical defence, second is speed.

What I recommend is a bulky Impish Ninjask, so you can at least get a +2 Speed, and possibly even a Swords Dance off, and then Baton Passing to an Acid Armour/Wish/Sub/Baton Pass Vaporeon, who resists and can set up in the face of Scizor's BP, and then finally passing Marowak, who can fend of Scizor's attacks [if he is still around], and there aren't much common priority moves other than Physical, so thats all you would need.
JojoX3 said:
2. Passing is to easy to counter. In my case here, I tend to have problems with watertanks and most of them(Swamp, Cune, Vaporeon) CAN carry Roar. It´s just too unsave. Even tough I have to try it yet.
The team is based around spreading paralysis around the opponents team, not passing speed to Marowak which is simply Roared away.
Not to mention, as JojoX3 said, there's nothing in the team that benefits a speed boost besides Marowak.

Nice team, though. I might try it out then give a proper rate. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)