[ Warstory ] Firestorm vs EBCubs03

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EBCubs and I had played a few times before. So we knew each others teams kinda well. We decided to have a battle together! Not very exciting, no. The battle before this one, there was a disconnection. Must have been some kinda issue with one our networks since this battle was a bit laggy too.

Rules
6 v 6 LV100 Set Singles
Sleep Clause
No Ubers
No OHKO
Evasion Clause
Species Clause

Firestorm

EBCubs03

Firestorm sent out Butterfree!
EBCubs03 sent out Zapos!

We both led with the same as we did last time. He's faster than me and knows Substitute, so I can't lead with my normal sleep powder routine. He also knows I'm sashed and that I can't do jack to his substitute, so bye bye!

Zapdos used Substitute!
(Zapdos - 75%)
Butterfree used U-Turn!
It's not very effective...
Butterfree returned to Firestorm.
Firestorm sent out Raichu!

We'd done this before in the last battle. As such, he knew what my next move would be and I was too afraid of a rampaging Zapdos to do anything but my next move. Come on Raichu, do what you do best! Encore!

EBCubs03 withdrew Zapdos.
EBCubs03 sent out Donphan!
Raichu used Encore!
The Encore failed...

It seems he was kind of afraid too. Othewise he'd have sent out Infernape. However, Raichu isn't afraid of Donphan! No siree. Elephants are afraid of mice (according to the cartoons I used to watch anyway), so therefore, Raichu > Donphan.

Raichu used Grass Knot!
It's super effective!
Donphan fainted!
(100% Damage)
(Raichu - 90%)
EBCubs03 sent out Inferape!

6 - 5 Firestorm

Hah! Remember when ground types countered electric types? Good times, good times. Life Orb Raichu so I took 10%. Well, Infernape is here. We both know Close Combat kills it, but he might also U-Turn thinking I'm going to switch. I'm a bit of a suicidal player, so I decide to stay in.

Infernape used U-Turn!
(71% Damage)
Infernape returned to EBCubs03.
EBCubs03 sent out Blissey!
(lol% Damage)
(Raichu - 9% HP)

Hoooolyyyy Shiiiitttt. So yeah. Raichu's defenses are crap. Choice Band U-Turn also hurts. I don't want to kill him completely as it's nice to have a Thunderbolt or sacrifice on hand. I switch to my semi-Blissey counter. After all, what's Blissey gonna do?

Firestorm withdrew Raichu.
Firestorm sent out Umbreon!
EBCubs03 withdrew Blissey.
EBCubs03 sent out Infernape!

Fuck. He's Choice Banded, so I'm dead. I know that much. Switching to any of my sweepers would cripple them even if it isn't very effective. My other tank doesn't resist Close Combat and is Calm. Ugh. Only thing I can do is let Umbreon take the hit or kill off Raichu. Seeing as his Stealth Rocker is dead, I figure I might as well let go of Wish support.

Infernape used Close Combat!
It's super effective!
(100% Damage)
Umbreon fainted!
Firestorm sent out Butterfree.

5 - 5 Tie

That's right my pretty! Stun that bastard! He's locked on Close Combat which is 4x resisted by my wonderfully defensive wall of wet paper! Now nighty-night Infernape's switch.

EBCubs03 withdrew Infernape.
EBCubs03 sent out Jirachi!
Butterfree used Sleep Powder!
Jirachi was put to sleep.

Awww... Jirachi's so cute when he sleeps ^_^ EBCubs knows it's suicide to stay sleeping against my team, so I predict a switch and go for double powder.

EBCubs03 withdrew Jirachi.
EBCubs03 sent out Blissey!
Butterfree used Stun Spore!
Blissey was paralyzed!

At this point I'm a bit screwed. I know he runs a BoltBeam Blissey, so much of my team isn't too safe a switch in. He could be using either Ice Beam or Thunderbolt since Butterfree is weak to both. I figure now's a good time as any to sacrifice.

Butterfree used U-Turn!
(20% Damage)
Blissey used Thunderbolt!
(9% Damage)
Raichu fainted!
Firestorm sent out Dragonite!

5 - 4 EBCubs03

Well, Dragonite's in. He can survive one un-STAB'd Ice Beam from most things... Blissey should be nothing, right? Let's Dragon Dance up and go on a rampage with Jirachi asleep!

Dragonite used Dragon Dance!
Blissey used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
(100% Damage)
Dragonite fainted!
Firestorm sent out Charizard!

5 - 3 EBCubs03

Godammit. It seems he has lots of SpAtk. Lots. Like, max lots. That was unexpected. Milotic, Butterfree, and Charizard left. Well, looks like all I can do is gamble!

Charizard used Substitute!
Blissey is fully paralyzed, it can't move!
(Charizard - 75%)

Yeeesssssss!

Charizard used Belly Drum!
Charizard cuts its HP in half and maximized attack!
Using the Salac Berry, Charizard's speed rose!
Blissey used Thunderbolt!
Critical Hit!
It's super effective!
Charizard's Substitute broke.

Well, gambled and it paid off. Bellyzard is set up and Blissey using leftovers is pretty much at full health I think. Let's see if I can coast through this like our last full battle.

Charizard used Fire Punch!
(100% Damage)
Blissey fainted!
EBCubs03 sent out Gyarados!
Gyarados' Intimidate cuts Charizard's attack!

4 - 3 EBCubs03

After one intimidate, Charizard can no longer OHKO a bulky Gyarados with Fire Punch. I knew his Gyarados was bulky and knew Waterfall would ruin me. So I had to use my other attack. I hate using it, but oh well, here it goes.

EBCubs03 withdrew Gyarados.
EBCubs03 sent out Jirachi!
Charizard flew up high!

Well damn. He knew I had fly and correctly assumed I'd use it. Well, not like I can do much but hope it doesn't wake up!

Charizard used Fly!
(50% Damage)
Jirachi is fast asleep...

Ok good. Bye bye Jirachi. This is going to get risky soon.

Charizard used Fire Punch!
It's super effective!
(56% Damage)
Jirachi fainted!

3 - 3 Tie

+4izard now. As someone who's still scared crapless of Waterfall, I decide to take to the air again.

EBCubs03 sent out Infernape!
Charizard flew up high!

Damn. Well, this doesn't matter too much. He's dead anyway.

Charizard used Fly!
It's super effective!
(100% Damage)
Infernape fainted!

3 - 2 Firestorm

Well, I'm back in the lead, but this Charizard is now at +3 Attack. Not good. I didn't drum my belly for this! This is also a bad situation to be in. The third fly has a tendancy to screw me over. Either they expect me to Fly again because I did the last two turns or they expect me to Fire Punch since they think that I think that... you get the point. Also, at this point, I had forgotten it was Zapdos that was alive. ProTip: Write down your opponent's Pokemon and when they're dead while you play! That or get a better memory.

EBCubs03 sent out Zapdos.
Charizard flew up high!

+3 Attack Charizard in the air against Zapdos? I guess you know how this'll end. It's too late for me, I made the wrong choice and he got me good.

Charizard used Fly!
(40% Damage)
Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
(25% Damage)
Charizard fainted!
Firestorm set out Milotic!

2 - 2 Tie

Well... At least it's in Ice Beam range. Maybe I can kill it and kill Gyarados in its sleep?

Zapdos used Roost!
(Zapdos - 90%)
Milotic used Ice Beam
(20% Damage)

Oh right. DP. Zapdos got Roost. Riiight. Well, that's not very nice.

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
(65% Damage)
Milotic used Ice Beam!
(50% Damage)

No freeze. Can't get lucky all the time!

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
(41% Damage)
Milotic fainted!
Firestorm sent out Butterfree!

2 - 1 EBCubs03

And it's over! I'll just list the rest of the turns with no commentary as I'm dead at this point.

Zapdos used Substitute
Butterfree used Sleep Powder

Zapdos used Thunerbolt!
It's super effective!
Butterfree hung on with its Focus Sash!
(99% Damage)
Butterfree used U-Turn!
Zapdos' substitute took the hit.

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
(1% Damage)
Butterfree fainted!

2 - 0 EBCubs03

And that's that. Two of his attackers vs my set up Pokemon and wall. It took quite a few team members, but he took down Bellyzard and swept the rest of my team!

Props
- Charizard for keeping me in the game for as long as I was
- Lady Luck for that good 'ol Paralysis (and Butterfree for setting it up I guess)
- Raichu for getting rid of that icky Donphan with his Stealth Rock of doom. I'm also fairly sure it has Roar which would have killed me on my drumming turn.

Slops
- Dragonite (stupid Blissey), Milotic, and Umbreon were fairly useless.

I loved the continous flying against the gyardos, think I actually laughed a bit at the thought, thanks for the read ^^

I seem kinda noobish throughout this whole battle with how I deal with bellyzard.. If donphan was alive it'd be a lot harder for him to get it set up, but he wasn't, so intimidate was the best thing I could do. I let infernape die to get in one more intimidate because I didn't know if Zapdos could live through a fly.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great story as usual. Good read. Doesn't Charizard learn aerial ace or something?
Yes, but there's no point to Aerial Ace imo. Earthquake is stronger for bulky waters and it still doesn't kill. Fly is the only thing that does (except stupid Suicune). Tyranitar and Rhyperior wall me as well, but Aerial Ace won't help.

I seem kinda noobish throughout this whole battle with how I deal with bellyzard.. If donphan was alive it'd be a lot harder for him to get it set up, but he wasn't, so intimidate was the best thing I could do. I let infernape die to get in one more intimidate because I didn't know if Zapdos could live through a fly.
All things considered, I actually think that was a brilliant way to eliminate Bellyzard and secure the win- think about it, there was nothing else you could do, and by sacrificing some Pokemon to secure Intimidates vs. Bellyzard, you not only used some quick+efficient thinking, but used a totally unexpected way to take it down. Good job!

Intimidate _killed_ you man. Literally.

But are you sure that fire-punch wouldn't kill bulky Gyarados? That is A LOT of power from a Charizard. Not just +5 but the STAB and Blaze kicking in as well.

Firestorm

Intimidate _killed_ you man. Literally.

But are you sure that fire-punch wouldn't kill bulky Gyarados? That is A LOT of power from a Charizard. Not just +5 but the STAB and Blaze kicking in as well.
Yeah I'm sure. I've tried it. Other people have tried to Intimi-whore me. But he had a way to end it off for the KO. After Intimidate, Charizard can't KO Starmie as well from what I found out.

If I were REALLY lucky Blissey would be fully paralyzed two turns in a row and I'd be in a sub =D But yeah, that's like a 10% chance I think.

Butterfree used U-Turn!
(20% Damage)
Butterfree used Thunderbolt!
(9% Damage)
Raichu fainted!
Firestorm sent out Dragonite!
A little mistake in there, You mean Blissey used T.BOLT not Butterfree used T.BOLT

Nice read, too bad this time Charizard didn't own the foe hard!

But just one question, why didn't u use Stun Spore on the last turn against Zapdos??

Nice story, props for the non-standard team, I think you should've fire-punched instead of the third fly, to kill zapdos... but after that dealing with gyrados wouldn't have been easy. Still, good stuff.

A little mistake in there, You mean Blissey used T.BOLT not Butterfree used T.BOLT

Nice read, too bad this time Charizard didn't own the foe hard!
Nice little mistake there. You mean Raichu used T. Bolt not Blissey.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Ignore the above quote. This is what I get for staying up this late. Good night yall!

That's right my pretty! Stun that bastard! He's locked on Close Combat which is 4x resisted by my wonderfully defensive wall of wet paper! Now nighty-night Infernape's switch.
Sorry, this had to be the best quote in the entire warstory. Lol @ Butterfree walling Infernape.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Might I recommend Whirlwind on your Butterfree? It will mess them up if you predict they'll block Sleep Powder with Substitutes. And even if your gamble fails, you still have the Focus Sash to back it up.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You and Seph make the best warstories. Excellent read, glad to see people making them even when they lose.

Excellent read, it had me on the edge of my seat(literally).
Thumbs up on using Butterfree and still writing this, even though you lost.

You and Seph make the best warstories. Excellent read, glad to see people making them even when they lose.
Doesn't Jibaku make the best (well, when he's fighting Lupo Aro)? :)

Anyway, I think you may need a different move other than Fly on Charizard (Earthquake or something, I guess).

Be glad Fly didn't miss. It has 95% accuracy, not something to risk Bellyzard on. anyways, amazing war story. Have you consider Stone Edge or EQ over Substitute? In this case, Blissey would have gotten you into 25~%, unless I'm doing the calcs wrong.

Butterfree is truely a beast. Focus Sash is such a blessing for that little critter.

I too use a Butterfree on my team, and the double powder combo almost always work. Unless it's against something gay like Yanmega.

It was mentioned already but I enjoy the fact you war storied a battle you didn't win, it is very classy and more people should do it I think.

That said I think I would have put Charizard in slops for having Fly instead of Aerial Ace if you want a flying move... BP is an issue but I'd say that battle was a pretty good example of why Fly doesn't belong on a competitive Pokemon(contrary to what is suggested in the three attack version of the analysis I guess)!

That said I really enjoy your team, seeing Umbreon in DP sort of makes me mash my face against my desk but the rest of your team is pretty awesome. I got renewed respect for Butterfree from PBR and it's always good to see more Dragonite and Raichu!

EDIT: Also as far as Intimidating Bellyzard that's a pretty good way to do it really; back when the bots had the badass-should-have-been-how-it-really-works 50% activation salac/liechi/etc. Bellyzard was really popular and it wasn't uncommon to see it's Attack get worn down that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)