Weathers in NU: Good or Bad?

Which Weather are you more likely to use in NU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sun... Rain... Sand... Hail...

Weathers In NU: Blessing Or Curse?

Have you ever wanted to use a Pokemon for your team, just for its ability? Everyone has had that feeling at one point. Whether its that Leafeon who craves sun for Leaf Guard to activate, or for that extra speed and immunity to Sandstorm with Stoutland's Sand Rush, Weather related abilities has shaped some of our most recently used Pokemon.​

Remember how hectic things were when suddenly, Snover's Snow Warning ability was able to be used in NU? Most of the NU users began carving teams from that Pokemon alone; that limited time, it changed NU, just for that one weather.​
But enough History. Is weather related moves really worth it in NU?

Abilities+Pokemon Related to Weather:
Rain:-Gorebyss, Swanna, Ludicolo, etc. (Swift Swim, Hydration, Rain Dish)
Sand-Stoutland, Gigalith, Gabite, etc. (Sand Rush, Sand Force, Sand Veil)
Sun-Exeggutor, Leafeon, Charizard, etc. (Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Solar Power)
Hail-Glaceon, Regice, etc. (Snow Cloak, Ice Body)

Weather Inducting Pokemon+Moves:
-Volbeat (Very common for Rain/Sun teams).
-Regirock (Same as Volbeat, though slightly less common).
-Armaldo, Gardevoir (Not as common, but it can be seen usually).
-Glaceon, Articuno (Very rare, as Hail isnt seen much, but it has been seen).
There are many more, but those mentioned above are the most 'common' ones around, from my experiences and memory.

Sunny Day, Hail, Rain Dance, Sandstorm. In NU, these are the only four moves that gives your teams access to weather moves. Usually, they are paired with one of the rocks, (Heat Rock, for example) to lengthen the time. But is it really worth it? Others may argue that NU doesnt have anough 'weather abusers' for the weather moves ti be truly effective. Others may say that without permanent uses for weather, its a waste of time.
We all know Rain and Sun are used normally in NU, with Ludicolo and Exeggutor running about, with their fancy abilities, making them hard to beat. But what about Sand? Or even Hail?​

Would you use these weather moves, or are they a waste of 5-8 turns? Is there a successful team that you would like to share, using one of those moves? How do you think NU would change if permanent weather was allowed, like OU? How did it go in your experience with using it?

I'd like to share this team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3477034 It's a sun team I made and RMT'd, and from my perspective, Weather teams to work just fine. What do you guys think?

I made this thread, because I'm so curious about how certain, small things shape Pokemon tiers, and how they get classified in them, btw. I also like seeing other people's point of view on certain ideas. Some people may not like weather; which is perfectly fine, I just like seeing things in different ways.
Talk your heart outs below.​

Weather is a really interesting thing you can play in NU. Some I the Pokemon are don't even see much use in the tier can find themselves be much more viable in the under their preferred weather. NU is interesting because it has so many users of weather but its not explored that much. When it comes to weather though NU is no different from OU as to rain being the most common. Ludicolo is arguably one of the best rain abusers in the tier. I have at time felt the opposite in facing weather. A well built weather team won't make you think that it doesn't effect you but rather that you begging for the rain to end. One of the thing about most of the weather inducers is that they are a bit frail.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
full weather teams appear occasionally on ladder, but standalone sweepers such as ludicolo and exeggutor are more common due to them being viable even without weather support. i am not a fan of manual sand and hail due to them not powering up any types and the fact that such abusers are better suited for higher tiers (stoutland is certainly usable in ou)

Used to run a multi-weather team on ladder, hail and sand. It's kind of gimmicky, I admit, but even if there's no chance to set up weather, pokemon that function well (such as Cradily, Relicanth or Piloswine) can still work out of it. The defense/longevity boosts from hail/sand gives a lot of pokemon opportunities to set up and boost defenses before weather goes off (CurseRest Cradily, which is officially the most annoying pokemon ever), so you could technically still win stall wars that way.

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That sounded like a good team, chiti! Even if it does sound gimmicky, it still works; something I wouldn't have even dreamt of making. .-.

Ludicolo is a staple on all of my NU teams because he can fill so many roles and can set up his own weather easily. I always seem to find time to setup Rain Dance and even if the opponent poisons him there's still 5 turns of complete demolition, where 3 KOs are a regular occurrence.

The Expert Belt Rain Dance set just does so much work in the tier its unbelievable. Basically if I see Wartortle coming in to spin, Alomomola to wall something, or any of the rock types in the tier, Ludicolo is a mindless switch in. Click rain dance, and either way he's got +2 speed and double power on his Hydro Pumps.

Ludicolo might just be the best independent weather setter and abuser in any of the lower tiers.

As for full on weather, I don't feel it's that viable in NU (hail being the notable exception in its short time in our tier). Sun teams if built properly can be devastating especially if Charizard users keep Rocks off the field. Full on rain teams just seem underwhelming to me because they seem to compound weaknesses more than any other weather in the tier. Although Ampharos is a great rain setter and abuser that they can build around.

A few rounds ago I experimented with double weather to great effect. Having Ludicolo and Exeggutor as dual weather sweepers worked fantastically. Teams had to be on their toes because these two find so many chances to set up, and then blow through all kinds of threats.

The problem with hail and sand are that Snow Cloak and Sand Veil are now banned (which is annoying) so teams based on evasion are now not as viable.

Having Ludicolo and Exeggutor together actually sounds pretty good, with the exception of the fact that Regice would wall both to no end and threaten to either KO Exeggutor or stall Ludicolo.

Recently I've had this idea of a half-rain half-sun team; it was quite interesting finding out that Liepard can run both Rain Dance and Sunny Day, and even though it's frail it can still find a couple of opportunities to switch in and out a couple of times. So the main pokemon on the team will basically be Liepard / Ludicolo / Exeggutor, and maybe I'll find time to actually develop this team.

I believe that rain is far and away the best weather in the tier. The immediate boost to Water-type attacks is enough, I actually find the speed boost the lesser of my worries against rain teams. Rain teams as a whole can be very threatening, as Volbeat + Illumise actually have the bulk to take neutral hits quite easily, and can set up multiple times in a match if needed. Rain teams just have so many Pokemon that can take advantage of the weather. Unlike sun teams, even a support Pokemon cna be threatening on a well made rain team.

Its of no surprise that Ludicolo is the number one threat on a rain team. Its typing is, in my opinion, what makes it so great. A water type that can tank Grass and Electric attacks? Sign me up! Hydro Pump from this thing is just ridiculous, it one that vote for the best pokemon in NU for a reason. Ludicolos ability to put pressure on the opposition is far better than any other rain sweeper. It has the best combination of bulk, speed, and power. Gorebyss has power, but ugh that Speed. If it was just a bit faster im sure it would be more common, but as it stands, +2 Gorebyss is way to slow to sweep.

Mantine is another great rain dance sweeper, mainly because it can beat Ludicolo. The ability to get past Ludicolo is something rain teams struggle with, STAB Air Slash really helps with that. I'm a huge fan of MANtine of course, unfortunately its typing isn't as good as Ludicolo. Flying brings on a lot of weaknesses that kind of suck, particularly SR. It is also just a bit to weak a lot of the time, free 100 special attack Mantine!!

I find that teams with maybe 1 or 2 rain sweepers more effective than full rain teams. I think this is true because, with a full rain team, you are forced into an incredibly match-up dependant scenario every match. There is no playing out of an antiweather team. With one or 2 sweepers(Like Ludicolo + Mantine), you have a lot more room to play around your weaknesses. Its like having the pros of a rain team without the cons! Full weather is rare for exactly this reason, its a lot harder to run effectively.

Sun and Rain are both very viable in the tier when provided with the correct support. In addition to the majority of the OP's list, SpDef Audino is among one of the best weather setters in the tier: with access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance in tandem with its superb bulk and Regenerator, you'll have a very easy time switching into special attacks and setting up your weather of choice on the foe. Audino also brings Wish and Toxic support to the table, both of which are highly appreciated tools for weather offense. I really enjoy sun offense in particular, where Pokemon such as Victreebel and Charizard can really shine thanks to their arsenal of powerful Sun-benefiting attacks.

Manual Sand and Hail, on the other hand, are extremely gimmicky and should mostly be avoided. The lack of viable abusers really hurts the usefulness of these playstyles, and the time you could spend setting up sand/hail for an abuser could be better used to apply offensive pressure right off the bat with other powerful mons. The effects of Sun and Rain (huge increase in power for certain moves) are able to be abused to its fullest extent by sweepers within the 5-8 turns allotted, whereas Sand and Hail have less potent effects that necessitates the condition being active at all times for the impact to be nearly as potent, and this is usually more trouble than its worth.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Another thing about Ludicolo that makes it so good (and to an extent, rain in general) is that it can support itself. Not only can it set up it's own rain using Rain Dance, but it also has decent natural bulk and a great defensive typing to do it. It doesn't even need the 8 turns using the Damp Rock (although you can if you want), as 5 turns is enough to start wrecking everything with his glorious STAB combination.

Anyways, I fully agree with Rasari, Rain is probably the best out of the four weathers, if only because Water is a great typing, both offensively and defensively, and most of the Swift Swimmers also get a boost to their STAB, unlike Sun's Chloro sweepers, who has Grass STAB and usually have to rely on HP Fire for Fire-type coverage in the sun. Also, Fire, while a great offensive typing, is pretty mediocre, if not bad, defensive typing. The Stealth Rock weakness isn't helping. Thunder and (while rare in NU) Hurricane also help towards making Rain better, although these aren't as prominent as in the higher tiers (asaik at least, I might be wrong here)

However, that's not to say that Sun is bad, in fact, Sun is really threatening. Fire-type attacks are hard enough to take, but now it's boosted to insane levels of power, not to mention there are some heavy hitters for sun. Solar Power Charizard's Fire Blasts are insanely powerful under the sun. Meanwhile, most of the Chloro sweepers have nice tools to use. Most of them, for example, have access to Sleep Powder, which is extremely crippling, especially with the Gen 5 sleep mechanics. Overall, Sun requires more support than Rain does, but has the potential to be a destructive force.

Sand and Hail, sadly, aren't very good when set-up manually. While Hail was good back when Snover was in the tier, almost no one would make a manual Hail team. There simply aren't enough benefits to justify using Hail, especially since you're wasting a turn to set it up. First of all, it doesn't give any move a power boost, except for letting Blizzard hit 100% of the time. Secondly, while the extra residual damage is nice, it's not really doing much, especially when Rain and Hail are boosting moves to powerful levels. Finally, there just aren't any good abusers for manual hail, and there isn't a speed boosting ability for hail. Ice Body is nice, but extra leftovers for 5-8 turns just isn't enough of a benefit, while Snow Cloak isn't legal. Sand doesn't fair much better. While it does give Rock's a 50% boost to Special Defense, a defensive boost isn't that great when it only lasts for 5-8 turns. It also suffers from the lack of abusers, the main one being Stoutland, who can't even set up his own sand. Finally, the residual damage isn't as notable since a lot more types are immune to it compared to Hail.

Overall, Sun and Rain are the only notable weathers right now, Rain probably being the best one, and Sun being threatening as well.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weather in NU (or more specifically Rain and Sun) is quite potent, especially now that NU has lost two powerful checks to these teams in Absol and Scarf Cinccino. Since these teams relied on the awesome, yet short 7 turns of power brought by Rain Dance and Sunny Day, they were very offensive and lacked the bulk to handle Life Orb Absol's Sucker Punches. Even some of the faster Swift Swim/Chlorophyll abusers could fail to outspeed Scarf Cinccino or were given trouble by Amoonguss, who could tank hits and use Regenerator to heal. With these Pokemon out of the way both Rain and Sun have more room to breath and start abusing their weathers. Generally speaking Rain is the most dominant weather because the main abusers (Ludicolo, Seismitoad, Gorebyss, Samurott, Swanna) all get a nice boost to their STAB and the first 3 gain access to X2 Speed with Swift Swim. While Sun gives a team a boost to Fire-type attacks and X2 Speed to Chlorophyll users, it is not as easy to abuse as Rain for a few reasons. Chlorophyll abusers don't have Fire-type STABs to take advantage of the Sun boost and the Fire-type Pokemon on a Sun team are weak to Stealth Rock. (Especially Charizard) Water is also a considerably better typing to be spamming than Grass and Fire in NU as well, due to the lack of special walls that resist Rain abusers' attacks. (SpD Roselia can handle Ludicolo, but loses outright to Swanna or Articuno's Hurricane) Rain even boosts the accuracy of Hurricane, and Pokemon like Damp Rock Rain Dance Articuno make awesome supporters for these teams as the STAB Hurricane and great bulk allows it to take down Roselia, who could be a bit of annoyance.

Overall a powerful weather offense can be difficult to stop as most teams don't have a direct answer to threats spamming powerful attacks against Pokemon with X2 Speed. (Rain Hydro/Surf and Solarbeam) While a well built weather team can cause heaps of destruction, it's not as easy as it looks to build. These teams have to have a good blend abusers that can also deal with various threats. For example, Seismitoad and Articuno are awesome to have on Rain teams for their traits that only they have. Seismitoad has Swift Swim, an Electric-type immunity, and access to Stealth Rock while Articuno has great bulk, Hurricane, and Roost. These traits blend very well to provide great support to a Rain team while still keeping the offensive momentum. I'm not as well versed with Sun, but from the few experiences I've had with it I can say that Probopass is a pretty cool Sunny Day user as it also sets up Stealth Rock and can allow your Sun sweepers to come in freely with a slow Volt Switch. Volbeat and Illumise also make pretty good users of Sunny Day/Rain Dance thanks to Prankster.

Manual Sand and Hail really shouldn't even be mentioned. Even though Snow Warning made Hail a pretty good playing style, 7 or less turns of Glaceon and SubSplit Rotom-F is not nearly as fearsome as it was with eternal Hail. Glaceon can't even abuse its best set, SubProtect, with only a limited amount of Hail turns either and in general Hail doesn't have the right quantity or quality of abusers to make a dedicated manual Hail team viable.

i think the interesting thing about this is that non-weather teams usually pack only one main check to these threats. a team may have regice as the supposed primary rain check, but it can only do so much. by sheer offense, regice will be pressured into using rest fairly quickly and stealth rock will keep it from switching into hydro pumps under rain. so really, weather teams have the benefit of being able to hammer opposing teams with attacks from one side of the spectrum. the opponent's main answer will generally get worn down fast and will allow the weather abusers to break through over the course of a match. the only issue is that they're restricted to doing this within a small number of turns, which is a downer because it can sometimes cause the weather team to lose momentum very fast.

as for specific weather abusers themselves, there are definitely a ton for NU to toy around with. ludicolo has an amazing grass-typing which helps it tank grass- and electric-type attacks. seismitoad is partially a ground-type which means that rotom-a and similar pokemon can't necessarily just think that they're free to attack a rain team with electric-type attacks.

although i've been giving a bigger mention to rain teams, i also think sun teams are really interesting in NU. there honestly isn't much to take repeated fire-type attacks in the tier as most pokemon are usually frail in general or on one side of the defensive spectrum. in addition, there are huge varieties among the sweepers since chlorophyll users range from the likes of exeggutor to shiftry to sawsbuck, each of which have a great secondary typing. most teams think that stealth rock is a decent answer to keep a behemoth like charizard at bay, but that doesn't change the fact that it still has a fucking fast 100 base speed and will definitely have a chance to get in on something slower to grab an easy KO. i usually have a hard time preparing for weather teams while keeping every other offensive threat in the tier checked as well. i feel like they're often neglected and can catch so many people off guard if the team is built well.

Weather in NU is... odd. Since there are no Pokemon who can cause permanent weather, that makes multi weather teams more viable, or even recommended! However, I've never been a big fan of weather in NU because I often find myself using a weather prolonging rock, but my sweepers like Ludicolo, Exeggutor, and Beartic, never last too long. That means I have to deal with about three turns of weather that, more often than not, hinders the Pokemon I NEED to send out next, however, because it is unfit for it's vital role at this time, I end up sending out a poke that is unfit for dealing with the current situation.

although i've been giving a bigger mention to rain teams, i also think sun teams are really interesting in NU. there honestly isn't much to take repeated fire-type attacks in the tier as most pokemon are usually frail in general or on one side of the defensive spectrum. in addition, there are huge varieties among the sweepers since chlorophyll users range from the likes of exeggutor to shiftry to sawsbuck, each of which have a great secondary typing. most teams think that stealth rock is a decent answer to keep a behemoth like charizard at bay, but that doesn't change the fact that it still has a fucking fast 100 base speed and will definitely have a chance to get in on something slower to grab an easy KO. i usually have a hard time preparing for weather teams while keeping every other offensive threat in the tier checked as well. i feel like they're often neglected and can catch so many people off guard if the team is built well.
I really want to bring attention to this point, as its the only reason sun teams are at all effective imo. There are just so many different kinds of Pokemon that can be used on a sun team: Eggy, Victreebel, Shiftry, Sawsbuck, Charizard, Rapidash, there are way more but I think these are the main ones. Each of these Pokemon is capable of performing a very different role, which is different than rain teams. Rain teams rely on constant pressure from Hydro Pump to be a threat.

Maybe the diversity of sun teams also plays a role in their downfall? Each Sun sweeper has radically different checks. No one is going to switch an Exeggutor check into Sawsbuck. Now this isnt the only thing holding sun teams back, the lack of either power or speed for their sweepers is also an issue. Now if we had a fire type with chlorophyll it would be a different story. But as it stands now, he Grass-types are usually not strong enough to sweep, and the Fire-types are usually to slow.

I think it is too difficult to run a multi-weather team in NU, because you don't have auto-weather inducers, and it requires excessive switching, which is what can make you lose momentum.

Personally, Sun is my favorite weather in NU. Even though Emboar is now banned, there are still ample users and abusers of Sunny Day. My most recent NU team was a Sun team without any Fire-types. The main sweeper is a Victreebel, which has STABs Solarbeam and Sludge Bomb, plus Weather Ball and Sleep Powder. Victreebel's sheer power allows it to sweep under Sun.

Bastiodon is also a great Sun inducer. With Sturdy, Heat Rock is viable, and I run a set Sunny Day/Metal Burst/Fire Blast/Ice Beam for good coverage and sturdiness. Against leads such as Torterra and Sawk, Bastiodon can run a Custap Berry, so it takes the SE attack, KOs with Metal Burst, then sets up Sunny Day before the second Pokemon takes it out.

I pretty much only use my rain team and got me into the top 100, maxed out at 80. Currently 99 as I post this (Smeargle Fan). Not a very creative team, but whatever.

Volbeat (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- Toxic
- U-turn

Lead pretty much every time. Set up RD turn one and play the guessing game of Encoring SR or U-turning on the possible switch. Toxic to break down the bane that is Gardevoir/Lickilicky.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

The whole reason to even use rain. Surf because I hate missing with Hydro Pump, and most of the time you use it Surf would kill anyway.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 Spd / 96 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rain Dance

Takes on electric types and can actually sort of beat Exeggutor with Sludge Wave. I tried SR but found I never used it.

Mantine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 Spd / 84 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

EVs outspeed Modest Ludicolo. HP Flying because I need to hit two in a row to beat Ludicolo, and I refuse to not have a 100% accuracy STAB move.. Hydro Pump because I need that power on at least one of my pokemon, and it might as well on my least used one.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
EVs: 132 Spd / 252 Atk / 124 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Used for getting past special walls and for priority.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power

I tried many different secondary weather supporters, and this guy won out. He can deal decent damage, is immune to grass, and gets past Sucker Punch Skuntank with Nature Power.

My experience: The team is pretty easy to use. The basic idea is to see how many difficult pokemon they have and play around them. Some pokemon on their team will be complete blanks when the rain is up, so you can freely count them as nearly worthless except as sac fodder. That list is shockingly close to the list of pokemon that do not resist water. Teams with one water resist are usually run over, except if they have multiple trouble pokemon.

This team (and maybe rain teams in general) have trouble with these pokemon off the top of my head:

Skuntank-Priority and usually max Sp Def. Sucker Punch is an absolute beating, and this guy can just take down every sweeper you have left if they have gotten some Life Orb/SR damage on them. He takes water moves decently, and sometimes it is tough to even 2HKO this guy. Earth Power or Nature Power will work, but you must plan around this guy, he is the poke I least want to see on the other side.

Ludicolo-He used to be tough until I added Mantine. It usually requires a fodder to get him in, but it is worth it. Mantine can sometimes win on a direct switch in if they don't have rocks up. The Rain Dish versions are the really tough ones, especially with Toxic, so I try to wear it down as much as possible before bringing in Mantine. Toad can beat Rain Dish version with Sludge Wave, but obviously only after a KO.

Gardevoir-Usually max Sp Def and traces Swift Swim. Floatzel can take it down, but Waterfall doesn't always KO from full. He Psychics all your stuff and is a pain in general. Sawsbuck does decently here as well.

Alomomola- Ludicolo easily takes him down, but him combined with Miltank is somewhat annoying. The lack of Toxic immunities really is glaring here, but he is not threatening otherwise.

Exeggutor- That harvest Sitrus berry set is really annoying. He subs while you are forced to set up rain, and just makes you take LO recoil and stuff. Basically, for a pokemon that all my sweepers hit super effectively, he is a huge pain.

Lickilicky- Toxic him, encore the Heal Bell, and pray. Quite the sturdy wall. Good thing I rarely see him. I would have to make several changes if he ever became more popular.

I have 2 Damp rock users and 3 other pokemon with Rain Dance so that I never get cut off from the weather. Volbeat can usually set up rain twice in a battle, but it is still nice to have other pokemon with Rain Dance. Seismitoad usually sets it up after switching in on a choiced electric move, and Mantine on a ground move. Ludicolo usually only puts it up with his dying breath. You can also put it up with your sweepers when they are trying to spam Protect to stall out the rain.

If Drizzle/Drought were allowed in NU, it would completely take over the metagame. Stopping it would require serious effort, and multiple pokemon dedicated to stopping weather teams. The level 1 thinking would be to have 5 sweepers without Rain Dance and just rely on your ability guy to do all the work. I cannot see how this extremely reckless version would not just steamroll any non-weather team in its path.

This isn't intended to become a subtle RMT, but this is just my thoughts on Rain teams in NU, since 85% of my NU matches use this team.

Regice walls most Rain Sweepers to hell and back and carries Thunderbolt to hit them hard.

Rain teams really have problems with Regice and Gardevoir, and setting up rain against a fast Grass-type, like Serperior, Sawsbuck or Leavanny, is somewhat troublesome (Though Mantine can do it, but this one is 4× weak to electric attacks and essentially gives a free switch in to something sturdy like Regice).

My cent for this interesting poll.
My first approach to this metagame was just building a rain team, only starting from a Smogon guide and the Smogon sets described. I can definitely say that I find rain teams very strong. As already said by Raseri and EBeast, a set of good pokemon to use, boost high speed, dangerous moves to win the game in a few rounds. And without Absol and Cinccino (above all the second), I think this advantage increase a lot.
It's not only Ludicolo. Gorebyss with a Shell Smash/White Herb becomes a destroyer machine, it is able to kill all the pokemon left in the game. And appear to be decisive support pokemon too (always with Swift Swim); like no-electric Seismitoad, useful for put Stealth Rock too and Armaldo, not only because is one of the best spinners in NU, but because SuperPower, Stone Edge and X-Scissor are the weapons to cover very well some of the team's weaknesses. Pelipper is also a pokemon to use (with Rain Dish) because Hurricane becomes 100% accurate.
Mix/right use of life orb and lum berry (except for the "main leader" with the damp rock, i'm using Rotom-S now), complete objects to use.
Finally, I want to highlight something. Do not be in NU an rain weather setter, means that at least three Pokemon have Rain Dance. This, perhaps, we have the opportunity to choose and predict what the best leader suited to each individual match!

P.S.: As soon as possible, i post the team in rating section, so any help and comment will be welcome.

No love for Sand; if only Stoutland got Sandstorm :(

But seriously, Stoutland is a wrecking ball with Choice Band or even with Life Orb. I think Drilbur deserves some mention as well, as it's really powerful with a Swords Dance. The only problem is setting up...even with Eviolite, Drilbur can't take hits at all. Maybe you could run Focus Sash? Too vulnerable to hazards I guess. =/

Actually though, (in my opinion) one of the reasons why full weather teams can be pretty risky is because of the imminent threat of getting encored into a set-up move, because even Ludicolo doesn't appreciate being Prankster-Encored into Rain Dance by Murkrow/Liepard/Volbeat/Illumise.

Regice walls most Rain Sweepers to hell and back and carries Thunderbolt to hit them hard.
i already said it before, but there's no way regice is taking on a full rain team. regice relies way too much on rest or wish support to function fully, and with any type of hazard affecting it heavily, it can't switch in quite often. standard regice also takes up to around 50% from rain-boosted hydro pumps from something like ludicolo or seismitoad while it can only 2HKO back with ice beam. if stealth rock is up, regice won't get too far under the offensive pressure.
No love for Sand; if only Stoutland got Sandstorm :(

But seriously, Stoutland is a wrecking ball with Choice Band or even with Life Orb. I think Drilbur deserves some mention as well, as it's really powerful with a Swords Dance. The only problem is setting up...even with Eviolite, Drilbur can't take hits at all. Maybe you could run Focus Sash? Too vulnerable to hazards I guess. =/
the problem is that NU has the tools to handle sand abusers more readily. the first thing that comes to mind is alomomola, and the only thing that even comes remotely close to breaking through it is a life orb +2 drilbur (which is OHKO'd by waterfall anyway). rain and sun teams carry the advantage of having slightly better variety and offensive power that is almost unmatched in the tier.
Actually though, (in my opinion) one of the reasons why full weather teams can be pretty risky is because of the imminent threat of getting encored into a set-up move, because even Ludicolo doesn't appreciate being Prankster-Encored into Rain Dance by Murkrow/Liepard/Volbeat/Illumise.
all of those pokemon are pretty rare anyway, with liepard being the only slightly common one and volbeat only being seen on opposing weather teams. these pokemon also have to get in when rain dance/sunny day is used; otherwise, they risk getting KO'd with an attack. furthermore, it's really not that hard to switch out to something else to avoid the encore seeing as how it's rather obvious. i'd be more fearful of thunder wave rather than encore if anything, but a rain sweeper like seismitoad would have absolutely no problems with that. i will agree that prankster users can be slightly threatening because they can impede a sweeper, but not because of encore.

I found that I have better success with Sun teams in NU. Something like Sunny Day Volbeat and Regirock, SubRoost Charizard, CB Sawk and two Chlorophyll sweepers work wonders against quite a fair amount of the tier. With Volbeat setting up priority Sunny Day, the trouble isn't always changing the weather but finding a team that can abuse and benefit from it while still making it original and not just a carbon copy of every other weather offence out there.

Governess

Its interesting...I've been battling on main, and I've seen multi-weathered teams .0. And tbh, they worked really well. Sure, they look weird at first glance, but if you get the right synergy, it works fine. I've been really busy, finals week is over finally =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)