Weird ways you pronunciate Pokemon's names

Ray-Kwau-Za was a common way for me to say Rayquaza

Mi-noon was how I used to say Minun

Flare-aptron was how I'll now say Talonflame cu screw that

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Ray-Kwau-Za was a common way for me to say Rayquaza

Mi-noon was how I used to say Minun
Oh big same on both of these ones. "Ray-kway-zuh" sounds so goofy. Just utterly obliterates any sense of awe or reverence I feel about that Pokemon. "Ray-kwah-sah" all the way.

For some reason I find "my-nun" really hard to say, even though "my-nus" is fine, so I've always pronounced Minun as "minnun" even though I know full well that's wrong.

Ferroseed and Ferrothorn. I often pronounce them "FAIR-oh-seed/FAIR-oh-thorn", even though their official pronunciations, for whatever reason, are "fur-RAH-seed/fur-RAH-thorn". The latter pronunciations are not exactly intuitive, while the former pronunciations are. It's also strange considering their names are derived from the word ferrum, which is "FAIR-uhm". They have probably the most unintuitive official pronunciations out there, and I'm sure many others pronounce Ferroseed and Ferrothorn in the way I mentioned.
Oh wow, I also do this and I never even knew it was incorrect! (^~^;)ゞ

For Ferroseed and Ferrothorn I just pronounce them from the composing words: "Ferro-seed" and "Ferro-thorn".

("Ferro" in its Spanish pronounciation)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Here’s some of my own:

1. “Aegislash” is pronounced based on the famous sword called Aegis (a word introduced to many people through the Xenoblade Chronicles series) with a soft G sound as opposed to a hard G. I can’t tell you how long I had this one messed up.

2. Helioptile’s (and by extension Heliolisk) name may be a reference to a god from... which mythology was Helios again? In any case, the “Helio” sound can be pronounced in multiple ways, like “heel-ee-oh” or similar to the pronunciation of “helicopter”.

3. If you’re ever in a bad mood and want to get on someone’s nerves, just look at Chimecho and pronounce it as “Chime-cho” instead of “Chime-echo” the next time you’re talking about the Pokémon.

4. I can think of at least three ways to pronounce the “Vika” sound in “Vikavolt”. Most people from what I remember defaulted to “Vee-ka” similar to Pikachu, having already been familiarized with the “Ika” portion. It can also be pronounced as “Vik-uh” or “Vike-ah”, to name the ones I can think of.

5. We’ve all heard the debate about the C in Arceus’s name at this point, but I just recently found out that there’s another error we’ve possibly been making this whole time. The last few syllables have historically been pronounced as “Ee-us” just like the spelling implies, but that part of Arceus’s name may also be referring words like “Deus” or “Zeus”, the most famous of the Greek gods, to name a few. This is notably pronounced in different ways depending on cultural factors. So when you hear a certain YouTuber pronounce it as “Ar-koos”... he’s actually not that far off.

1. “Aegislash” is pronounced based on the famous sword called Aegis (a word introduced to many people through the Xenoblade Chronicles series) with a soft G sound as opposed to a hard G. I can’t tell you how long I had this one messed up.
Isn't Aegis Zeus's shield in Greek mythology (pronouced w/ a hard g...)?

Anyways, continuing with the Honedge line, I pronounce Doublade "doo-blade" instead of "dublade".
I used to pronouce Druddigon as "dry-gen" like Hydreigon but minus the "hi".

Last edited:

Anyways, continuing with the Honedge line, I pronounce Doublade "doo-blade" instead of "dublade".
Close, it's Athena's shield or breastplate, depending on who you ask. Both the Greek and Latin pronunciations use a hard g, I have no idea where Xenoblade came up with the "eejis" pronunciation.

Chime-Cho (user ReptoAbysmal wondered whether I'd do it on stream once and lo, I did), German Ä-ghee-slash, French "Grou-DON" (rhymes with crouton). Can't believe RK9 hasn't come up yet (?). Also a fan of De-ki-doo-ey, although I've never been complicit myself.

"Ill-oo-mee-zay" is perfectly intuitive if you're German (or otherwise used to "Continental" vowels). I've never said it any other way.

edit: ä-ro-dak-TÜLL. ahm-FAH-ross. These sort of things.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The official pronunciation of Reuniclus struck me as a bit odd in terms of the emphasis. I saw how it was spelled and pronounced it Ree-YOO-nee-clus, but the official pronunciation has different emphasis as Ree-yoo-NEE-clus. That kinda threw me off a bit.

It's so funny to read you because in French, I don't think there is a way to bad pronounced Pokemon names (except the non-French names like the legendary etc...) and in English, I pronounced them with a bad French accent.

For example, Reuniclus is like Reunion for me, and -clus with the u pronounced [y]

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor

The Xenoblade games may or may not have screwed over everyone’s pronunciations, but realistically it’s the same word. As for the other Pokémon you mentioned:

Doublade: Has “double” as part of its name
Druddigon: Self explanatory
Hydreigon: “Drei” (dray) is “three” in German

Amberr

Banned deucer.
idek if this is normal or not but i say suicune as sue ee cune eh
also why is this a thing why do people say pokemon names out loud i thought that was just a thing i did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)