1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

What has Smogon done for you?

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by majesty, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majesty

majesty

I don't know if this has been done before but I didn't see one at all. If it has been done, it must be time for an update anyways!

Okay, this thread is to thank smogon and those that run it for helping you with pokemon in some way. It can vary from "he game me a reacharound and we met on Smogon" to "Thanks for telling me my team was a bunch of standards thrown together in RMT".

I'd like to say that I have learned alot on Smogon. Before I came here I just put only offensive moves on pokemon and didn't do powerups. I also used double team like an idiot against computer opponents. Thanks for being so awesome Smogon!

I'd also like to give a nod to Loetke, or as I would call him "Merchant of awesome", for giving me several free pokes. No worries, I'll pay you back some day...also a nod to stephywefy for the free poke. I met both of them on here and I hope to continue meeting people on here!
  2. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'd like to thank smogon for being awesome and also for accepting a crazy Indian nab like me!
  3. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure Smogon's played its part in wrecking my social life. Then again, it also was there to replace it whenever I needed something to.
  4. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

I want to thank Smogon for making me basically a loser last summer. I quit my job in early June and was unemployed up until September. I would wake up around 1-2pm, get on mIRC and stay there until everything died out, which was usually around 4am. Repeat ad nauseum.

It was the best summer of my life.
  5. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

I'd like to thank Smogon from the bottom of my heart for showing me last.fm and Soulseek. Without last.fm I'd still be listening to mediocre radio music.

Also I thank you all for making me laugh god knows how many times with your witty humour.
  6. blackshellbowser

blackshellbowser

I, BlackShellBowser, would like to thank Smogon for opening the doors to competitive Pokemon for me. Many people in my neighborhood do not play Pokemon as competitively as I do. People have rated my teams, gave me advice and answered my questions. I have become much better than I was about 3-4 years ago, and while I still have not reached the elite level, I am still happy with my progress.

I also would like to thank Smogon for providing such a wonderful forum. I have met some cool people (like DoomMullet) and have engaged in some wonderful conversations. I am also glad I found people with similar interests as I have!

While Smogon and Netbattle takes up a lot of my social time, it still has kept me human, lol.

Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

BLACKSHELLBOWSER
  7. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

smogon gave me hope that girls exist on the internet and for that i am ever thankful. amen.
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Smogon not only showed me a lot of diversity in music, but also helped get my english and my netiquette better.
  9. Beat you all.

Beat you all.

How to get beat 6-0 in a battle for the 1st time <_< Nah, taught me a lot, pretty cool here.
  10. Lexay

Lexay I could be boned!
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

smogon became my home on the internet although i feel i cant do much for the community anymore
    smogon gave me some really good friendships
    smogon learned me lots of things about life and made me smarter in general
    i cant express in words how much my english grammar improved during the years by visiting smogon, how awkward it may sound.

i'd like to thank smogon for being the best, most intelligent, blargherdf, funny, egfdy, dfgfdg & blorg community on the internet of all the communities i have been part of.

ps bigchristopher no really biiiiiiig christopher
  11. husk

husk
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

In a nutshell: Smogon helped me meet some pretty awesome people, got me into great music, and changed my perspective on life...thanks dudes!
  12. Discord

Discord

Wow. Done a lot of shit for me. Before I used to put double same type moves on pokemon + no stat ups, no defense or anything. Now I'm actually a somewhat seasoned player. I can actually make a working team.

Also the peope here on Smogon are so freaking cool that it' just fun to be here. Also, I learned about getting a good goddamn taste in music.

It also crucified my social life, but eh, whatcha gonna do about it?
  13. stonerchris

stonerchris
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

smogon helps me keep in touch with my youth. maybe a bit too much sometimes...breeding pokemon is more damaging to your life than a crack addiction...
    seriously though i really like all the regulars here, and the people i don't like are fun to laugh at so it's all good. what i love the most about smogon is you don't have to worry about offending people; just annoying them.
  14. shadysback321

shadysback321

It helped me out a bit in Math. With all the EV's and calculating IV's and damage calculations.

It's pretty easy to do all the simple stuff for me now.
  15. Ugly_Duckling

Ugly_Duckling

Smogon's done a great deal for me this past year.

Conveniently, the first online game I was introduced to was NetBattle. I began playing approximately one year ago and after having risen my way through the servers and making it to Smogon, I joined its forums. Since then, I've been enamored in the game and the community. The people here are just awesome and most of them are willing to help you with your problems. I also love the way that Smogon has become so tightly-knit. I've got great internet friends now, many of whom I met from Smogon.

Basically, Smogon's been my first and likely only internet experience and I couldn't consider myself any luckier that I found it.
  16. QuickDraw

QuickDraw

smogon is pretty much my internet home, whenever i get bored i can just come here and peruse the extremely old and moldy threads. the urge to bump is a bad thing though. overall it taught me that people other than prepubescent teenage squeakers do exist on the internet
  17. bleep

bleep

Smogon taught me that most internet pokemoners in fact have some type of life! I definitely imagined NetBattle to be filled with nerds... Then I joined Smogon and realized that the people I've been playing Pokemon with are actually really cool.

It hasn't done much to my music tastes, but I'm not really a music person anyways.

It's definitely improved my netiquette also!
  18. Articuno64

Articuno64 1 to 63 were taken
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Smogon, and the community that existed before it, has taught me to not take life so seriously
  19. aquasuicune

aquasuicune

Smogon has taught me a lot of stuff, especially in the realm of pokemon. But besides pokemon, it has also taught me to not take everything so personally.
  20. toy

toy

letting me know that my art isnt shit.
  21. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Smogon let me know that pokemon still existed, and was enjoyed. I was worried when old RPGamer board started slowing down; I considered us to be the "last bastion" of old competitive pokemon, anywhere. While I think we have good claim to the last of the old, Smogon is the new. I'm unspeakably glad that something like this exists in the form it does now, and is as vibrant and active a community as the old RPGamer and Azure Heights boards were back in the day.

If you want me to be a little more specific, my stay at Smogon has made me much more witty.
  22. Valgram

Valgram

Smogon taught me how to battle competitively.
  23. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Smogon led me to meet Roy irl...not so sure if I should be thanking Smogon for that...
  24. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

it's allowed me to stick to the online battling community. before i was always a drifter. i am a tpmer i guess you could say. june of 2000. visited boards like azure and gamefaqs. i remember kainsville. marblepalace. i just kinda bounced around without a real place to stick. so thanks for that.
  25. jpchato

jpchato

I'd like to thank smogon for aiding me in my endeavor to be a lazy ass.

AKA I've spent way too much time here, good times though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)