What Lies Beneath

What Lies Beneath:

Introduction:

So we are back for another round of my half decent teams and if im not wrong this is the second RMT im posting on the smogon forums. What I bring to you today looks to be like any common sun team but actually happens to be quite the opposite of standard sun teams. Now that I have nothing more to say to you lets end the intro right here before it gets boring and get into the actual team.

As for team building im not going to post one cause this is how I do it. I think of 6 pokemon/teams which would go well together. Put my ideas on paper and test them on Showdown and make the necessary changes.

First Impression: (remember don’t judge a book by its cover and leave just yet)

And now we go right into the details of this team.

Taking a closer look:

Ninetailes @ Leftovers
Trait : Drought
EVs : 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Nature : Timid ( +Spd / -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Solar beam
- Hidden power [Ice]
- Sunny day

At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. Why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals an innovation that shook up the metagame, for this simple, yet deceptive move, can turn the tides of a weather war. While Ninetales normally has no business staying in on either Tyranitar or Politoed, a well-timed Sunny Day can actually force them out! Not only is the opponent's attempt to change the weather negated, but SolarBeam no longer has a charge-up period. Should the opponent be foolish enough to keep their weather inducer in, their cold-blooded creature will be instantly vaporized by a super effective SolarBeam. With sufficient entry hazard support, Ninetales can back the opposing weather inducer into a tight corner. Either stay in and eat a SolarBeam, or switch out and let the switch take massive damage. With status and Stealth Rock damage racking up, the Ninetales user could easily win the weather war. Sunny Day Ninetales is, without a doubt, a huge asset to any sun team.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Trait : Pressure
EVs : 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden power [Ice]
- Roost

Zapdos remains an interesting option for an offensive Electric-type thanks to its access to Heat Wave and Roost, which allow it dish out hits as long as possible. Thunderbolt is the crux of this set, and with full investment and a Life Orb boost, it allows Zapdos to plow through many physical walls and just about anything weak to it. Heat Wave allows Zapdos to beat Steel-types easily and reliably thanks to its solid power and accuracy. Heat Wave allows Zapdos to beat a whole set of threats that other special attackers can only beat with Focus Blast if at all, namely Mamoswine and Forretress. Hidden Power Ice gives Zapdos BoltBeam coverage in tandem with Thunderbolt, letting it smack Gliscor and Landorus, and it allows Zapdos to hit Dragon-types for super effective damage, 2HKOing most of them. Roost is what really separates this set from frailer special attackers (im talking about you Thundurus T); it gives Zapdos a reliable healing option which allows it to get rid of any damage which it may have racked up, be it from attacks or field effects. With Roost, Zapdos increases its longevity on the battlefield by leaps and bounds. This Zapdos is my main answer against Temporary Rain on the field and I can’t wait for Lightningrod for it.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs : 252 HP / 104 Def / 124 SAtk / 28 Spd
Nature : Modest ( +SAtk / -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

While Heatran is usually seen either flaunting its offensive capabilities or using its defensive prowess to help lay hazards and wall Dragons, it can also function effectively as a trapper. Sun teams by nature are weak to sand and rain because both Tyranitar and Politoed have an edge over Ninetales. However, Heatran works very well in trapping and crippling those two due to its signature move, Magma Storm. While this might require some explanation due to the type advantage that both Tyranitar and Politoed have over Heatran, it is actually quite simple. Heatran works as an efficient lure for the two due to their typing advantages and can hit them on the switch-in with Will-O-Wisp. These debilitating status conditions will cripple any opposing weather starter for the entire match, making it easier for Ninetales to win the weather war.
While Heatran cannot effectively beat down opposing weather starters in just one sitting, it will almost certainly do it in two. Magma Storm lets Heatran effectively trap the opposing Pokemon for four to five turns giving it several turns with which to simply do damage with Earth Power while the opponent cannot switch out. After the opponent faints, Ninetales can come in and set up Drought unscathed. Taunt works very well because opponents such as Tyranitar will often try to set up Spikes against Heatran, only to be thwarted by Heatran. Not to mention this also happens to be my counter to RP sect who otherwise is a threat to pretty much every team in existence.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait : Arena Trap
EVs : 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature : Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Reversal Dugtrio is an effective trapper of weather inducers, capable of swinging the match in its team's favor by removing the opponent's weather from the equation. A full-powered Reversal will always OHKO any Tyranitar that lacks a Chople Berry, and also does respectable damage to Politoed. The ability to remove Tyranitar is especially important, as even Jolly Choice Scarf Tyranitar is outsped by Dugtrio. Earthquake is Dugtrio's strongest STAB attack, and while a full-powered Reversal is stronger even after factoring in STAB, it is essential for removing Ninetales or dealing respectable damage while Dugtrio is at full health. Stealth Rock can be set up while Focus Sash is intact, putting the team at even more of an advantage. Sucker Punch is used to deal with Pokemon such as Latios. This set works very well on Drought teams, as it can trap Heatran and Terrakion, two Pokemon that are consistent nuisances for the playstyle.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 156 Atk / 272 SAtk / 180 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is a monster under the sun, capable of running through any team that isn't prepared for it. Life Orb is the preferred item as it provides a substantial boost to Venusaur's offenses. Growth is the most important move in the set, as it boosts Venusaur's Special Attack and Attack to deadly levels. Giga Drain is Venusaur's STAB move. Hidden Power Fire is essential, as with it Venusaur can destroy any Steel-type—including Heatran with this mixed set—under the sun with a Growth boost. Earthquake provides a powerful move to deal with Heatran and beat specially defensive walls with a +2 boosted Earthquake. Earthquake also does the job of taking out Terrakion which as mentioned before happens to be a big threat to sun teams in general.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs : 144 HP / 84 Def / 120 SAtk / 160 Spd
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Bug Buzz

This set exchanges raw power for bulk and lets Volcarona set up multiple Quiver Dances, but it should be used mainly on sun teams. It capitalizes on Volcarona's relatively great special bulk, and, when played well, it can easily sweep. Quiver Dance is the boosting move of choice, and it raises Volcarona's best stats, making it tremendously bulky after a few boosts. Fiery Dance is the Fire STAB move of choice and is exactly what this set needs: a strong and reliable attack that may achieve further boosts, thus letting Volcarona sweep better. Bug Buzz is the secondary STAB, hitting Water-types that pack a Fire-type resistance, such as Politoed and Rotom-W. Morning Sun rounds off the set, enabling Volcarona to recover from damage and continue to set up on weak or resisted attacks, such as Jellicent's Scald and Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Conclusion:

Here we come to an end of this RMT. Im all done here and I hope you enjoyed watching / reading this rmt. I know im gonna get a lot of reviews telling me to get a spinner on this team as its necessary and stuff but honestly I can play around many common Stealth Rockers and I find the members of the team too valuable for their particular roles to fit a stealth rocker in here. Building this team was a great experience for me and if you decided to use it then good luck. Please do rate the team give a luvdisc if you like and all that good stuff. Once again thanks for reading this RMT and im done here before my rambling bores you to oblivion.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey,

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455854
I see what you did there (hey nice homemade EVs !), I mean, there is nothing wrong copying and adapting teams but here well.. You even copied directly Smogon's description.

In itself Zapdos>Thundurus isn't a bad idea to get this team back in the game.
But seriously, you could have done a better work at revamping, and at least mention the team you copied (especially when it's so obvious).

Besides, I wont risk myself criticizing a team looking like the best Sun Team in BW1.
But, for the sake of your "own RMT" write your own descriptions, this is your only chance to prove that you did something else than copying straight Grimm70's team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)