What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and I just looked at teh Guide to Sunny Day teams.
No, you didn't, or else you would have seen that everything in the guide is still relevant to what a good Sunny Day team requires now. It's just difficult to make a good Sunny Day team in general because they're not as powerful nor effective as rain teams.

Please know what you're talking about before you start misguiding people that require genuinely useful information.

Well what is in your guys opinion the best way to go in UU with an NU team? Sunny Day looks interesting, but I'm not sure what is a good way to set up a team >_>

SJCrew

1.) Get a bulky lead that can set up Stealth Rock and Sunny Day. Uxie is a perfect example of this, as it also learns Uturn, which you can use right after setup to see what your opponent switches in and answer it accordingly. Make sure you give it Heat Rock to prolong the sunlight.

2.) Get a back up Sunny Day user. The game isn't going to end in 8 turns, but the sun will, so you'll need a bulky Pokemon that can switch in easily to set it up again. Mesprit is another good example, but since your game plan seems to include Jumpluff, you might as well make it do something useful and have it set up Sunny Day too.

3.) Decide what your offensive core is going to be. Your offensive core should consist of three main attackers, four at max (as you'll need room for you lead and your backup). The way your team is looking now, you'll probably only need three. Victreebell makes one, which can run mixed or all special, if you're not worried about Chansey.

Your second should be an offensive Fire type with Flash Fire to take a hit for your Grass Pokemon. Since you're looking for NUs, Flareon fits that bill nicely, but I would advise against it, as Houndoom and Arcanine are far better options. As an added bonus, Arcanine learns Morning Sun to heal off residual damage like Stealth Rock and Life Orb recovery.

Your third can be anything you want, so long as it makes good use of the weather boost my advice would be to go for Tangrowth, since it can kill grounded Fire types with EQ and destroy Moltres with Ancient Power. It doesn't fit the NU quota, but if you want to win some matches, you should at least consider it.

4.) Rapid Spin support is almost essential, regardless of which Fire type you choose. It gives them a safe opportunity to switch in on non-Fire type attacks (since Moltres likes to predict with Air Slash) and start spreading damage right away. Claydol fits this bill fairly well, since Water types love to switch in on it and they won't be laughing as they watch it set up Sunny Day or spin their hazards out while they feebly attempt to get rid of it with weakened Surfs. Ghosts like to switch in on it too, and the standard Smogon set runs Sp. Att EVs and Shadow Ball to discourage them from blocking your spin.

That's about all for today's lesson. Be sure to keep mainly the first three points mind when you build your team, as they're the most essential to building a successful Sunny Day team.

After you've had a good feel for your team and think you have a winning formula, you should drop by the Rate My Team section where other users can give their opinion on whether or not it works and what your team needs in order to ensure it's on par with metagame standards.

Next time, just read the guide. >_>

No need to be rude. You can't deny that it's horribly outdated.

I usually go with two Fire-types, two Chlorophyll users, and two support Pokemon. One of the sweepers also runs Sunny Day. Two to four Sunny Day users is good.

Here are my choices for the best Pokemon in each category. There are more, but these are the best in my opinion.

Chlorophyll users: Exeggutor, Victreebell, Tangrowth, Shiftry
Fire-types: Moltres, Typhlosion, Magmortar, Arcanine, Houndoom
Support: Ambipom, Claydol, Uxie, Donphan

tNo, that's not what I asked. I was asking what route is the best to go for a NU team...next time you should of read my post >_<...although probably confused you.

I'm asking if making it sunny day is good or not, or should it be a baton passing team, or a sandstorm team, or just a general team with a bulky lead and a wall and a support etc...and whatever else there is.

P.S. I did read the guide.

Azure Demon

I'd have to say Victreebell with it's ability to double it's speed in the sun and its decent move pool on both sides (physical and special) makes it a great choice for a special attacker. it is even one of the very few of it's type that actually packs priority in sucker punch.
it does not even need hidden power anymore to take down its steel or ice type opponents. just give it sun and weather ball and lest not forget that just because it's a normal move it turns to fire so its get the boost from the sun allowing it to make opponents bow down. and if you have problems with flash fire pokemon pack hidden power groun so in my opinion that is what makes victrebeel

trick room is beastly in NU because the only pokemon there are the slow ones with low defenses that couldn't keep up with things like lucario. i.e. ursaring, lickilicky, marowak, etc..

Ive used NU in UU alot and this is what works for me;
i think balanced teams are the way to go.
Try some quirky strategies, something teams might not be prepared for. Toxicstalling Articuno can catch teams out, so can Venomoth (o i love my Venomoth), double powder jumpluff did wonders for me. note: some of them may need Rapid spin support, which is difficult due to poor rapid spinners.
Slap a scarf on something like primeape/hitmonchan/hitmonlee/zangoose/tauros (probably doesnt need a scarf) and you have a good revenge killer who might even catch afew surprise kills.
To stop the powerful UU pokes overwhelming you balance things out using some sturdy pokes; lickilicky, slowking, quagsire, probopass, noctowl, gardevoir, vileplume, regiice,miltank, cradily, p2. notice: i think there is a lack of good physical walls in NU (or at least a lack of variety) and too many are normal type, revenge killers will often be making up for poor defense.
Also need a good lead. Alot like Jumpluff in UU, some use Jynx, i recommend Persian.
There are lots of other pokes that work well that i havnt mentionned; magmortar, espeon, manectric, entei and many others.

As i said i generally prefer balanced teams when using NU, the main point of my post is to show how some of the pokes we have mentionned in this thread can work together. So here is my example team;

Persian- Banded limber. Taunt, Bite, Return, Switcheroo. Taunt Uxie and it cant do anything (even tricking a scarf doesnt help much)
Lickilicky- Special defender that can take some hits from mismagius, raikou, zam (Moltres hits abit hard). Wish/Protect with Return and fire punch/aqua tail for ghosts.
Quagsire- physical defense, SRer
Hitmonlee-scarfed revenge killer. Limber is useful to get a free switch but only if really needed.
Venomoth-lefties. Sleep, roost, Bug Buzz, Sludge Bomb (this is my favourite poke atm), x4 fighting resist can help bring it in aginst hitmontop if needed (watch out for stone edge)
Gardevoir- an underated special attacker. Trace so can check rain teams. Scarf, specs, orb, w/e the item is variable

Or replace Quag/Gard for Sandslash/Articuno.
(that team may not work well, i just made it up)

As i say, this is just to show how taking a balanced approach might work. there are plenty other ways to do things.

SJCrew

tNo, that's not what I asked. I was asking what route is the best to go for a NU team...next time you should of read my post >_<...although probably confused you.

I'm asking if making it sunny day is good or not, or should it be a baton passing team, or a sandstorm team, or just a general team with a bulky lead and a wall and a support etc...and whatever else there is.

P.S. I did read the guide.
You have to be fucking kidding me...

Sunny Day looks interesting, but I'm not sure what is a good way to set up a team >_>
You asked about Sunny Day teams so I told you all about them and how you could fit Jumpluff and Victreebell on it. I even created it to try it out myself and it works all right... Not to mention all the time I spent struggling on that post because of my stupid computer. >_>

Nobody can tell you what type of team you want. If you wanted to make a Baton Passing team or just a plain old balance team, then you should specified what you wanted to begin with.

I use Miltank as a wall/cleric and Primeape as a sleep absorber.
-_-

Nobody can tell you what type of team you want. If you wanted to make a Baton Passing team or just a plain old balance team, then you should specified what you wanted to begin with.
This. If you want us to help you make a team, specify what type of team you want. Try joining Battling 101 or make an RMT. You should try something out before asking for help.

Sorry for being a noob in pokemon.

After re-considering and reading more guides, I'm going to just re-design a team plan.

One that gleamed in my eye is the rain offense one, I always have loved water/ice attributes as well as rain (IRL lol).

I want to try this out for UU specifically, and if I have to, use it in OU.

And if this seems to fail, I will just make a balanced NU team.

Any suggestions on the UU Rain? I'm sure I got enough to try and tackle the NU balanced.

>_>

Sorry for being a noob in pokemon.

After re-considering and reading more guides, I'm going to just re-design a team plan.

One that gleamed in my eye is the rain offense one, I always have loved water/ice attributes as well as rain (IRL lol).

I want to try this out for UU specifically, and if I have to, use it in OU.

And if this seems to fail, I will just make a balanced NU team.

Any suggestions on the UU Rain? I'm sure I got enough to try and tackle the NU balanced.

>_>
Rain is a major force in UU. There's an entire sub-thread devoted to rain in UU under this. That thread should give you all you need.

Rain is an incredibly powerful force in UU. So powerful that the item Damp Rock was considered overpowered (if you don't know what it does, look at its description on Smogon). Read the rain guide, look at the posts in the rain thread, and try it out. Some tips are don't stall, and Swords Dance Ludicolo is much better than specially-based ones, no matter what its analysis says. And don't forget to use Damp Rock.

Victreebell learns Weatherball? Looks like Castform's signature move went out the window.

I think I should give Rivalry Luxray a go. Often times, most pokemon are male (by default, most people are to lazy to change the gender except in certain cases)

Just reading up on your Physical Raichu set, how about Reversal? I go Suicide Raichu, VT/SuborEndure/Reversal/Fake Out. I think this would be a pretty sweet Raichu, maybe go Adamant and slap Salac on it? Endure or Sub, depending on your preference. It could make a splash.

Just reading up on your Physical Raichu set, how about Reversal? I go Suicide Raichu, VT/SuborEndure/Reversal/Fake Out. I think this would be a pretty sweet Raichu, maybe go Adamant and slap Salac on it? Endure or Sub, depending on your preference. It could make a splash.
Volt Tackle and EndReversal seems counter-productive to me.

It doesnt seem right to run a reversal strategy and have volt tackle on the same set. Sure you can Volt Tackle before you endure but it limits options.

EDIT: well done Leman, you beat me to it.

It doesnt seem right to run a reversal strategy and have volt tackle on the same set. Sure you can Volt Tackle before you endure but it limits options.
The only other physical electric move Raichu could use is Thunderpunch and the drop in power from Volt Tackle is big. I believe that Volt Tackle and Endure could be on the same set as you can easily Volt Tackle on the switch and Endure next to activate Salac and maximizing power for Reversal. The last move should be something like Grass Knot for physical walls.

With 2 attacks at 1hp and one of them killing yourself the other not having good coverage, i dont think the set gains much from enduring. Id rather run a mixed set and/or 3 attacks + encore. Or change the 4th attack.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Definetely Hitmonlee. It's usages disapoint me it should because it's a deadly force that can rip through teams.

It's attack to speed ratio is really good. It can hit hard and run reasonably fast.

One pokemon people always over look are my two favorite bugs: Yanma and armaldo. Both can run physical (yes, I am a bit nuts), but yanma can also go special.

Physical yanma is a bitch to get over. Stealth rock helps it. Yes, SR actually helps a pokemon that is 4x weak to it. Here is the set I run. A bit gimmicky, but it kicks ass if pulled off right:

Yanma @ Leichi Berry
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Att./ 252 Speed/ 6 Def.
Reversal
Endure
Ariel Ace
Quick Attack

Fits very well with no RSer in my team.
Armaldo time.

Armaldo @ Salac Berry
Jolly
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Special defence
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Rock Blast
Earthquake

Imagine a stupid SubMissy vs. this guy. Not a chance, really.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One pokemon people always over look are my two favorite bugs: Yanma and armaldo. Both can run physical (yes, I am a bit nuts), but yanma can also go special.

Physical yanma is a bitch to get over. Stealth rock helps it. Yes, SR actually helps a pokemon that is 4x weak to it. Here is the set I run. A bit gimmicky, but it kicks ass if pulled off right:

Yanma @ Leichi Berry
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Att./ 252 Speed/ 6 Def.
Reversal
Endure
Ariel Ace
Quick Attack

Fits very well with no RSer in my team.
Armaldo time.

Armaldo @ Salac Berry
Jolly
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 Special defence
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Rock Blast
Earthquake

Imagine a stupid SubMissy vs. this guy. Not a chance, really.

Physical attacking Yanma with Base 65 attack and no boosting move (Apart from Leichi)?? I don't think so. Yanma is probably better off abusing Compoundeyes or something (It's speed is already fine).

Mesprit. On top of doing the SR/Psychic/TWave/Uturn job better than uxie, it can do calm mind/psychic/thunderbolt/ice beam reallly well if you put ev's into def instead of speed and make it bold. When honch was in UU I just put a dark resist berry on it and it had few problems besides blissey, obviously.

But seriously, even with 252 HP/252 Def, psychic can 2HKO-3HKO a lottt of stuff, and still take hits incredibly well.

I'm not sure exactly sure how uncommon it is in UU, as I'm relatively new to Shoddy Battle, but Arcanine has done pretty well for me so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)