Which Pokemon became superstars/hobos in the ADV > D/P transition?

5th Generation really needs to introduce a great alternative to Blissey, since it is at such a higher class of special walling then everything else. :-\
Blissey is already a problem, two different ones would be bad imo. I think Blissey should be made worse somehow so other special walls are as good as it, or at least have a chance.

plenty of stuff can special wall not named blissey u just need to use resistance and immunities like flygon swampert works great vs electric attacks
Regirock has 690 special defence in sand but still it's not a special wall? and cradily or shuckle can take any special move u throw at um.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Snorlax went from awesome Curser in ADV which I used on all my teams, to not-so-hot fighting target. Why didn't it at least get Slack Off? Sure the sand hippo can, yet the lazy lard Pokemon can't?
Interesting fact: Infernape learns Slack Off too. Infernape.

And a pokémon line I'd say got nerfed is Rhyhorn/don/perior. Sure, evolving to get Solid Rock would be a amazing idea, if it could let Rhyperior survive Bubble -_- Giving it Steel/Ground typing instead of Solid Rock would be a lot better.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stealth Rock smeared a sickly stain of shit on Charizard & Articuno, as well as Regice, among others.

Sandstorm improved most rock types, mainly Cradily and Rhyperior, Rhydon didn't mind that evolution either.

Tangela went from no show to BEAST with the Tangrowth evolution, same for the likes of Yanma, Sneasel and Piloswine.

Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, Tyranitar and Metagross all seemed to get even better than they were somehow, which is crazy.

Gyarados and Breloom get the perfect level. The first one, with Physical STAB, better Taunt, and Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Earthquake. The second one, with Poison Heal and Physical Grass attack. Gengar also got Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb STAB'd special, Choice Specs, Life Orb+Explosion... And Tyranitar and his friends (Cradily, Regirock, Shuckle) with their Special Defense improvement.

Regice and Snorlax got nerfed because they need a good recovery move!!. Regice with Recover and Snorlax with Slack Off could help them to be a decent alternative to Blissey. Milotic also lost his defensive status.

Agreed... but without Rest, Regice can no longer status absorb. I think that the main reason Regice got nerfed was because of SR. Its such a broken move, it's probably the worst idea Nintendo has ever had. It made fire and ice types worse than they already were.

Maybe Clear Body should negate residual damage *drools*

Mario With Lasers

Agreed... but without Rest, Regice can no longer status absorb. I think that the main reason Regice got nerfed was because of SR. Its such a broken move, it's probably the worst idea Nintendo has ever had. It made fire and ice types worse than they already were.

Maybe Clear Body should negate residual damage *drools*
Lol, good idea XD (hi Tentacruel and Metagross) We'd don't even need Ice Shell, in the "create a pokémon" thread.

Heh, we should have Fiery Spikes next generation. An instant burn to all non-flyer, levitator as soon as they come out. Fire Pokemon can absorb it and get flash fire boost. That would totally balance out the game.

And a pokémon line I'd say got nerfed is Rhyhorn/don/perior. Sure, evolving to get Solid Rock would be a amazing idea, if it could let Rhyperior survive Bubble -_- Giving it Steel/Ground typing instead of Solid Rock would be a lot better.
Steel/Ground is a terrible typing. At least according to the Smogon D/P analysis of Bastidon, even he takes massive damage with 160 defense from 4x strong EQs.

Nobody has mentioned how Breloom got a really big push with Poison Heal, Seed Bomb, and Stone Edge.

Mario With Lasers

Steel/Ground is a terrible typing. At least according to the Smogon D/P analysis of Bastidon, even he takes massive damage with 160 defense from 4x strong EQs.

Nobody has mentioned how Breloom got a really big push with Poison Heal, Seed Bomb, and Stone Edge.
I said Steel/Ground, not Steel/Rock.

And losing the 4x weaks to Water and Grass and the 2x weak to Ice is pretty amazing, IMO.

Porygon got dramatically improved. P2 still makes a splash thanks to improved Trace (I once traced a dugtrio locked onto sucker punch and set up on it. I then swept the team :P) Trick Room, and special Tri-Attack. Porygon-Z is the only pokemon who OHKOs Bliss with a special move.

Porygon got totally improved in this generation. It went from "interesting tank" to a major threat.

I'll try not to list people who got evos.

Zapdos took a hit. Not sure why either, it got more toys to play with but is apparently not good enough.
Raikou also took a hit. Curse of the electrics? (Too many Blissey/Garchomp?)
Aerodactyl took a huge hit. He's just not strong enough and/or needs Head Smash.

Tentacruel got a huge jump. Thank you Toxic Spikes!

I'll try not to list people who got evos.

Zapdos took a hit. Not sure why either, it got more toys to play with but is apparently not good enough.
Raikou also took a hit. Curse of the electrics? (Too many Blissey/Garchomp?)
Aerodactyl took a huge hit. He's just not strong enough and/or needs Head Smash.

Tentacruel got a huge jump. Thank you Toxic Spikes!

I don't think zap/rai got a hit, neither one of them. It's just that 1) finding good raikou/zapdos is hard work 2) people rather drop them for better options 3) both zap/rai are kinda predictable, ESPECIALLY raikou. Don't get me wrong but, they're still good at what they do best. Just not THE best.

1) I was looking at Shoddy usage for the most part.
2) What better electric special attackers are there than Zap and Raikou?
3) Zap got U-turn and Roost, Raikou is still predictable agreed.

Electric means trouble if you're locked into an attack with a choice item, which zapdos usually uses. I think HP grass is extremely important for both of them. And zapdos hates SR when he gets walled and has to switch out, and if the opponent outpredicts him using roost...roost is exactly what zapdos will be afterwards. I dunno about the shoddy part though, haven't used it in AGES and i think it's changed quite a bit...

Gyarados got a lot better because its #1 Advance counter no longer is a surefire counter, thanks to Stone Edge. All the best "surefire counters" to D/P Gyarados aren't used much anymore, aka bulky waters, Mesprit, Uxie, or Weezing.

I'm sorry to say it, but Blaziken died. Tyranitar is even more common, plus there's new weather-changers in Hippowdon and Abomasnow. Plus it's entirely outclassed by the likes of Heracross and Infernape when equipped with a Choice Band or else Swords Dancing. If only Gamefreak had given it Close Combat instead of fucking BRAVE BIRD.

Starmie and Alakazam both got worse thanks to Weavile.

For the record, evolving shouldn't be considered the same sort of improvement that getting new moves/etc is. However, even without evolution, Sneasel improved quite a bit with it's dual physical STABs, Ice Shard, and physical Pursuit.

If it hadn't evolved, Magneton probably would've gotton a pretty big nerf in the form of Shed Shell.

Lets see

I see a lot less weezings now, I never played competitive advanced, but from what my research of past gens show weezing was pretty good, now I rarely see it.

Blaziken got murdered. No question about it, infernape just raped it.

Alakazam took a huge hit thanks to the returning popularity of pursuit

Medicham went emo when shadow ball got switched to special

Tyranitar is an even greater beast thanks to physical crunch, pursuit, sandstorm special defense upgrade, and stone edge.

Salamance had become feared with extent, now that he can go both ways.(no homo; special and physical you pervs)

Gyarados is even scarier thanks to the likes of taunt and stone edge

Heracross wen from an ok stab to an insane stab along with stone edge, pursuit, and night slash

Raikou somehow got lost, I always thought he was great, guess he's too predictable

Snorlax died, I mean you give a monkey slack off and you don't give the classic sleeping pokemon slack off? Whats wrong with that picture?! Close combat isn't a fresh new look at things for him ether.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
Regirock has 690 special defence in sand but still it's not a special wall? and cradily or shuckle can take any special move u throw at um.
Both of which still fall below Blissey in the Spdef tiers even in Sandstorm.

Milotic was badly nerfed this gen..
Metagross can 2hko it with Thunderpunch and Mence can leave a huge dent on it with Draco Meteor

They should make a Ground/Fighting Type in the next generation and give it base atk, 125 base spd, thew ability area trap and give it CC....xD

There goes blis...xD

Blis is too good of a special wall.....

Only specs'd/nasty ploted moves have a chance of beating her if special based

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)