Who do YOU start with in battle?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Though this mostly applies to the OU environment, I do want to ask a question, as this will help me apply to a guide that I am planning to write.

To show a sneak peak about the guide that I am attempting to write, here is some top 10 starters that I've gathered up. Though this is going on some random opinions of myself and others, this section is still under debate, as any choice can be as good as any.

Weavile Ability to Pursuit is ALWAYS a plus, in case of a person starts with a Ghost / Psychic lead, they regret the day. Able to Dance or wield a Choice Band and get things moving, Weavile's Base 125 Speed will cause major headaches to the unprepared. Having the best STABs arguably, Weavile can be a monster, but hampered by Stealth Rock and x4 Weakness to Fighting. But he's starting, so the former and mostly the latter is negated.

Gyarados Only the bulky versions should start, as using any other type of Gyarados is too risky. While Intimidate can factor many sweepers that want to physically hurt you right off the bat, Gyarados can Taunt slow starters and set up his dance. Though he is easily countered by some things (Gyarados does not outspeed Base 115s), he should be noted as a huge threat, as after he has two Dragon Dances under his belt, not much is stopping this thing. Great with an Electric-absorber behind, like Jolteon, Lanturn, or Electivire.

Yanmega Able to use Hypnosis or Taunt to get a good Speed Boost, Yanmega can sweep teams, that is, if he gets the chance to. Yanmega is harmed by his typing, but it's noted to be a big threat thanks to his 95 Base Speed and 116 Base Special Attack. STAB Bug Buzz is a nice choice, and if he chooses Tinted Lens, much will be hurt. Be aware though that it's not impossible to get past Yanmega, but it can be hard in the beginning.

Bronzong Able to do many things with his good defenses and typing, Bronzong can set up Trick Room, put fools to sleep, set up Stealth Rock, use his low Speed to his advantage, par-ish Special Attacks, and finally able to Explode in people's faces. There's a ton of shit that Bronzong can do. Gyarados leads can Taunt you off, but Bronzong is a respectable Weavile counter and even Yanmega. Fast leads can be crippled, in other words.

Swampert Though usually an early Stealth Rock is a good plus, being able to PHaze is another. This is why Swampert can start well. His typing has some useful resists, mainly Rock. Swampert can wield both physical and special attacks. Though he can't exactly counter Yanmega leads, he can take on a Weavile lead with Roar and at least use Hidden Power: Electric on Gyarados. Keep in mind though that it's move slot syndrome that kills Swampert.

Hippowdon Another bulky lead, but this time with Sandstorm. Sandstorm screws up all Focus Sash leads, and walls a couple of Pokemon. His only real reason to start would be Sandstorm though, as he can't really counter many other leads (perhaps Aerodactyl and something that lacks his weaknesses / sleep-inducing moves). He can set up Stealth Rock or PHaze, which should be a mention.

Also, keep in mind that Abomasnow will be combined with Hippowdon section, but Abomasnow will have info later. The slot here was for weather. It's not best to start out with Tyranitar, as he's countered by quite a few starters.

Crobat Though many people's jaws will drop, there should be a reason why Crobat SHOULD be mentioned. First off, he carries the fastest Sleep-inducer move in the game (not even Darkrai beats this thing). Second, Crobat can counter things like Heracross and Breloom (not the former on the start, as fear of a Scarfer might off-put this, but it is a given). Crobat can also wield Taunt to shut down things like Gyarados easily. U-Turn is also another big plus, as there's little prediction you have to do with Crobat in play. Though he can wield a Choice Band and wield Nasty Plot, Crobat's biggest disadvantage would be the inability to get some moves together. Other than that, Crobat can be a beast of a starter.

Metagross Pulling off a sweep is easy with this guy, and I'd suggest that he probably uses the AgiliGross set with Shed Shell (You need to escape Magnezone easier, so this will help. Though Agility + EQ is a mention, I'm just thinking about giving you a free move, like Thunderpunch / Meteor Mash / [Filler (Explosion / Pursuit)]. Metagross has, again, good typing, good defenses, and is a flipping tank. The ability to use Agility is a good plus, actually.

Jolteon The reason Jolteon is mentioned and not any other Electric-type is due to the fact that Jolteon can escape Dugtrio. Being able to pass Substitute and Agility (let's not forget a possibility of Charge Beam), Jolteon is very versatile. Able to wield Choice Specs with Baton Pass is a decent plus, as he is able to escape Dugtrio as well (with prediction). Hidden Power is his main problem, it's either he's walled by Garchomp or Swampert. If both are on the team, expect a couple of problems.

Though Zapdos can be a good option here, the problem is is that he's still hammered by being weak to Weavile leads. This is also a debatable choice.

Ninjask There is only ONE REASON why I've put this here, and that is simply the Baton Pass. As annoying as fuck as this can be, Ninjask is used in 4/5 Baton Pass teams. His favorite passes include Octillery, Cradily, and anything else with Soundproof. Other good options include Tyranitar, Rampardos, Marowak, Bibarel, Numel (???), and much more. Swords Dance and Speed Boost accompany each other, and with Substitute / Protect, it helps pull off both easily. A Choice Band variant is also quite powerful, as he is able to outspeed things quickly.

This is the list that I've conducted. I've also considered things like Ambipom and such, but it's walled by Steel leads easily. It is also to note that I did not include Scarfers only because that Scarfers are to suprise, and these are just what you would see commonly (or should, anyways). FEAR leads are also the suprise value, but should also be noted to be starters, but there is that problem of Sandstorm / Hail, which is common in OU.

Now for some that SHOULDN'T start:

Any Ghost / Psychic-type The reason being is simple: Pursuit. This ruins ANY lead whatsoever, and it's not stopped. U-Turning isn't a solution, as slower Pursuiters still nab you. This may not sound like a good reason, but it's for assurance. Gengar still makes a decent lead, but keep in mind that it may not be the best in some situations.

Electric-Types By looking at the obvious starters, it almost looks like you WANT to start with an Electric-type. But of course, there are a couple of problems. First off, you don't know for sure if Electivire, Jolteon, or Lanturn are behind to sap off the electricity, especially if Electivire takes advantage of it. The second one would be that if they switch to Dugtrio, many are screwed, barring Jolteon possibly, Zapdos especially, and I guess Electrode (though Electrode is UU). Not saying that Dugtrio is going to lead, it's just that it could be a good switch against the rest.

Dragons Even as of note, a Life Orb Garchomp with +Atk Nature, max Atk, and 1 Swords Dance on his belt will NOT kill Cresselia with Outrage, and Garchomp gets threatened by Ice Beam from Cresselia. There's also the fact that a couple of leads pack an Ice attack, such as Gyarados, which also has Intimidate to boot. If you still plan to lead with a Dragon anyways, be very, VERY weary of a counter.

So I would like your opinions of what are good leads to you, and why they are. Seriously though, there is no "best" starter, but I'd like your opinion on what you start off with and why.

Thank you for devoting your time to this topic as well.

I usually use LOGar. Depending on what's out, I can usually counter it, or at least make the opponent think I can. My gar doesn't even carry TBolt, but countless gyarados flee on sight. It's great. ;D

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, I always start with Yanmega (due to Hypnosis+Speed Boost, and no one starts with Blisey anyway), and 'm seeing some Ninjasks and Forretresses nowadays too.

You forgot Yanmega on your list.
I start with SpecsZelf, or just Azelf, by the way,
Usually:
Naive @ Lum Berry/Specs
Psychic
Grass Knot
Thunderbolt
U-Turn
Gyara, HA! Swampert, HA!, Swampert, HA!, even Weavile gets U-Turned, and seeing I'm slower, he get to pursuit my counter XD. Tyranitar, really gets owned by GK. Gengar, too, gets a slice of ownage. Psychic his butt.

I usually lead with Breloom, Gyra, or specsmence. But sometimes I lead with things like Swampert to set up rocks early.

Lately I've been using HP Electric Swampert (I love when enemy Gyara's taunt it and lose half their health).

I sometimes use CB Gyara as well.

Well, I lead with my Tentacruel. I was too lazy to re-ev Stefy's Tentacruel, but it's quite awesome. Sets up Toxic Spikes rather fast, and spins away other Pokemon that set up on me. Not to mention it doesn't immediately give away the whole, "omgz a h41l t34m d4t5 s0 c00l!!!!!11111" :D

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I use Shuckle, an amazing lead. It can set up stealth rock on the first turn like a champ due to having the defenses that cause him to lose getting OHKOed. It can also Knock Off the items from those annoying Choice starters. Plus it can Encore those annoying Stealth Rock starters so they'll be either forced to switch out, or waste 4-8 turns doing a failing stealth rock.

Choice Scarf Houndoom and Zangoose (SD Sash Zangoose too) are amazing. I have many teams on Shoddy, so of course I also lead with Breloom, Swampert and Weavile (wifi i use Gyarados). But Scarf 'Doom and 'Goose have done wonders for me. Scarf Overheat is something pretty much nothing is safe from, and Zangoose can pull off a Weavile/Garchomp combo with Swords Dance and a sash lead.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I start with Jirachi; Can take a hit from a lot of common starters, sets up Gravity, can special attack pretty well. 100 base speed isn't amazing, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

I usually lead with either Forttress, or my sexy Gengar.

I usually choose Forttress to set up spikes and Stealth Rock, then explode in their faces.

DID I GO BOOM TIP YOU OFF?!?!?!

I usually lead with either Forttress, or my sexy Gengar.

I usually choose Forttress to set up spikes and Stealth Rock, then explode in their faces.

DID I GO BOOM TIP YOU OFF?!?!?!
Weavile used swords dance! Foretress used spikes!

Weavile gets in rapeing postion! Foretress used spikes!

Forretress used gyro ball! Weavile held on with its focus sash! Weavile used Counter! You fucking die!

???

Win :D

Scenario I enjoy. :)

I use either my Garchomp, or my Gyrados, depending on who I'm battling, though if I don't know my opponents team, I'm more liable to start with a gyra, since he's more likely to survive a focus sasher, which is a common starter.

Forretress used gyro ball! Weavile held on with its focus sash! Weavile used Counter! You fucking die!

???

Sends out poke with priority move!

This happened to me in a battle, I let the Weavile SD while I set up then BOOM. Focus sash? NP, Go Lucario with VW!

???

I then send in Lucario with VW, have fun dead Weavile! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)