Who Won at Which Location?

Right. Long time reader, first time post-er. I came back home after a long day and a flawless victory at the GameStop tournament I went to. So here's my question: who else won?

State your name, the location, your team, and the rules here. I'm just curious. Of course, comments and such are welcome.

Name: Gene Chang
Team: Lugia, Dragonite, Gyarados, Gengar, Froslass, Zangoose
Rules:
- Level 50 All
- Any Pokemon ('cept the final three unobtainables)
- Choose 4 Pokemon
- 2 vs 2

A lot of people showed up. A lot more than I expected. Either way, I had fun experimenting my Choice Scarf Zangoose build, who ended up eating more Dialgas and Kyogres than ever necessary. MVP in my book, right next to Gyarados for DD sweeping and Froslass for Timid, 31 Speed IV, max speed EVs, Focus Sash, and Destiny Bond. Right.

Anyway, who else won?

Name: Aaron (not giving out my full name)
Team: ScarfChomp, SpecsMence, CBgross, Weavile
- Level 50 All
- Pokemon 1-490
- 4 Pokemon
- 2 vs 2

I was quite dissapointed as only 3 people including me and my friend showed up. And just the 2 of us battled until some guy who didn't even know about the tournament decided to show up and battle us. I ended up beating them both. Not much else to say. Pretty much straightfoward sweeping. Nobody had ubers though, except my friend who had Kyogre, but he didn't have time to EV train it before the tournament. Ugh, I wish I would have went to a gamestop in seattle or something, they probably would've had at least 20 people or so since it's a lot bigger city than Everett. I didn't care so much if I won or not, I just wanted some competition. 3 is just pathetic XD

I gave PBR to my friend, I already have it. My parents are all like: "You should've sold it!", I'm all like, "I'll do whatever I want with my prize XD"

Name: Adam P.
Location: 4656 Commonwealth Centre Pkwy, Midlothian VA, 23112 US
Team:

Scarf Kyogre "Kyogre"

Specs Palkia "Gojira" in katakana

Standard "Battle Tower" Gross "METAGROSS"

A Bold CM Blissey with no Def EVs "BLISSEY"
Heracross & Garchomp from my in-game team in Diamond

Rules:
-Level 50 all
-Pokemon 001-490
-Pick 4
-1 vs 1
-ONE LEGENDARY PER BATTLE

I led all matches with either Kyogre (who never took a sinlge hit) or Palkia. My Palkia was Hasty with a 27 or so Speed IV and 29 in Special Attack, so I proceeded to kill other Palkias with it.

I saw a lot of the same crap over and over again. Two Groudons, four Salamences, three Palkias (including mine) and everyone but me and two other guys had an Infernape.

I swept through everyone so bad... I would kill all their guys but the last one and then I'd usually switch out just to have fun with them, lol. Just as I expected, no one knew jack shit about how powerful Scarf Kyogre is and the other two with Palkias hadn't spent nearly the effort I had. I saw a Pachirisu, a team ALL weak to water, a team with 4 Dragons...

Sean Alexander (Winner, Gamestop Capitola Mall)

To be honest, I forfeited my prizes to the kids who were playing. I don't get much out of beating down on the lesser folks.

The one person who actually knew of this place (and bothered to EV train) was taken out by a touch of bad luck, and a bad switch-in against a Giratina.

I used: Cresellia. Leftovers, Bold, 252 def, 80 hp, rest in Special Defense.
Reflect, Calm Mind, Ice Beam, Moonlight

No shit, seriously: That, and a U-turn Ninjask lead once.

My actual registered team was: Ninjask, Cresellia, Electivire, Kyogre.

Rules for ours: 6 pokemon choose 4, 1v1, Ubers allowed, Item Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Freeze clause. Level 50 all.

Sean Alexander (Winner, Gamestop Capitola Mall)

To be honest, I forfeited my prizes to the kids who were playing. I don't get much out of beating down on the lesser folks.

The one person who actually knew of this place (and bothered to EV train) was taken out by a touch of bad luck, and a bad switch-in against a Giratina.

I used: Cresellia. Leftovers, Bold, 252 def, 80 hp, rest in Special Defense.
Reflect, Calm Mind, Ice Beam, Moonlight

No shit, seriously: That, and a U-turn Ninjask lead once.

My actual registered team was: Ninjask, Cresellia, Electivire, Kyogre.

Rules for ours: 6 pokemon choose 4, 1v1, Ubers allowed, Item Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Freeze clause. Level 50 all.
Holy shit, son. I think you quite possibly fought a bigger bunch of casual know-nothings than I did...

A cresselia sweep, lol. Did anyone use Draco Meteor GARCHOMP like at my store?

No, but there was this one little kid who probably didn't beat the game yet who was in the tournament. He ran Ponyta and Staravia in his team. It was a really sad sight to watch him die to Shadow Force as he went, "What is that?"

Name: James S.
GameStop: Freehold Raceway Mall, Freehold NJ
Rules: 1v1 ubers

Latios (Soul Dew)
Groudon (Salac Berry)
Jumpluff ("Ice" Berry, Shiny)
Snorlax (Quick Claw)
Giratina (Spell Tag)
Charizard (Heat Rock, Shiny)

Yeah, the first kid to lose at my store used Staravia, Budew, Monferno, and Buizel against a Roar of Time Dialga. It was so sad (both ways) that I had to cheer them on. I mean... I had to try and have fun, right?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
name: Surgo
GameStop: 804A South Road, Poughkeepsie NY
Rules: 1v1 ubers, lol no sleep clause, show 6 choose 3

Team is described in detail in my warstory (see sig).

I don't really feel bad at beating down 'the lesser folk', but Shiv made me feel pretty guilty that I didn't give that girl my Kyogre at the end of the tournament. I would have, too, if the idea had even come to mind.

Name: Erik W.
GameStop: Fresno, California(across River Park)
Rules: 1 vs 1 Ubers 2 pokemon per player. No clauses.

My team: Mewtwo and Kyogre. the fina;s against my brother..i switched to wobbuffet and blissey.

It was fun beating up the noobs. Especially that sho offy guy.

name: Surgo
GameStop: 804A South Road, Poughkeepsie NY
Rules: 1v1 ubers, lol no sleep clause, show 6 choose 3

Team is described in detail in my warstory (see sig).

I don't really feel bad at beating down 'the lesser folk', but Shiv made me feel pretty guilty that I didn't give that girl my Kyogre at the end of the tournament. I would have, too, if the idea had even come to mind.
Ok, perhaps I don't feel bad beating them down, I _do_ feel bad taking the prizes away, particularly when I don't really have a need for them.

To me, the competition is enough... or something altruistic like that. =D

I did give out legit mews though, so now there's scrubs with legendaries!

Name:Richard T.
Team: Wobbaffet,Groudon,Mewtwo,Swellow,Gengar
Rules: Only restictions are Darkrai,Arceus,Shemi
Show 6 pick 3
lv50 single

We had a great turnout around 20+ people.

Name: Patrick
Rules:
- Level 50 All
- 1-490 and no legendaries
- One shiny per team
- Choose 4 Pokemon
- 1 vs 1

I had Weavile, Ttar, Garchomp, Ninjask, Starmie, and Machamp. Started with Ninjask when I didn't have to worry about someone starting with a sandstorm and otherwise Weavile.

There was a limit of twelve people, and some fifteen showed up. There were two or three other guys who know what they were doing. Nearly everyone had a Ttar, more than a few Metagrosses, and a surprising number of Jolteons. The last fight was the only one that gave me any trouble.

Name: Chris Houser
GameStop: Union Gap, WA
Rules: 3v3 Singles, 1-490 all excepted, No clauses.

I had my team consist of Wobbufett, Smeargle, and Rayquaza mostly. Until the third round I switched Wobb and Smeargle for ScarfChomp and Tyran because people caught onto my stategy. Rayquaza ironically ended each battle, and it killed itself once from life orb recoil. Had 4 rounds to win and had a lot of fun. I really wanted that T-Shirt though. I really wanna get this out as well, Rayquaza, PURE ****ing power!

Name: Cero
GameStop: Greenwood IN
Rules: 3v3 singles 1-490 no clauses lvl 50

Kyogre@leftovers
Rayquaza@life orb
Palkia@luminous orb
Giratina@leftovers
Deoxys@life orb
Mewtwo@expert belt

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Name: My full name can be found through a link on the Smogon forums if you know where to look. :)

Rules:
- L50 All
- NO Sleep Clause ("I'm not going to restrict people's strategies!" said the man in charge)
- All Pokemon allowed, save for Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus
- The first battle was 6v6, but then the coordinator decided to change it to 3v3 to shorten things

The six I brought were: (Tangerine's) Deoxys-F, Rayquaza, Tyranitar, Lucario, Metagross, and Gengar. Full details coming to a warstory near you!

Name: Chuck

Rules:
50 All, No clauses, 1-490.
3 v 3

Team: See warstory.

Name: James S.
GameStop: Freehold Raceway Mall, Freehold NJ
Rules: 1v1 ubers

Latios (Soul Dew)
Groudon (Salac Berry)
Jumpluff ("Ice" Berry, Shiny)
Snorlax (Quick Claw)
Giratina (Spell Tag)
Charizard (Heat Rock, Shiny)
Dude, I would have went there too if you told me you were going.

Name: Mamushi
Place: Antelope Valley Mall, CA
Rules: 50 all, 3-on-3 singles, NO legendaries (all legendaries banned, explaining "ubers" to half the people probably would've been a pain), species clause, single elimination
Team: Gyarados, Garchomp, Electivire, Starmie, Togekiss, Gengar (we were allowed to switch in-between matches but had to get our Pokemon checked every time before the match, though the only time I made a change was swapping in Togekiss over Rhyperior, who I never used anyway)

I had only heard about the tournament about a week and a half prior, and so a majority of the Pokemon I was already breeding and training were mainly to use in the D/P Battle Tower. I had almost no good tanking and/or support Pokemon to use, and I spent the last week in a frantic rush to acquire and train some half-decent ubers to use. But, when the guy running the tournament asked everyone if they wanted to nix legendaries the VAST majority of participants agreed to ban them, and good times were had by all (only a few people who came actually wanted to use ubers). Not to mention what a pain it would've been to confirm legitimacy with all the hacked ones floating around. As it was, some people with Bad Eggs and a guy with blatantly cheated shinies participated. Fortunately they didn't make it very far.

I was amazed at how many impressive players were living in my community (not only that, but some of them were some bad-ass looking adults you'd never expect would ever TOUCH this game if you saw them walking down the street). I had expected a lot less; in fact a slight majority of the 20 or so participants had competent EV-trained teams. And really, if it weren't for a few extremely lucky moments throughout the tournament, I wouldn't have won. Lucky/unlucky moments really shook up matches throughout the whole tournament, causing completely unpredicted outcomes in a lot of matches (don't underestimate young girls and guys using nothing but Eevee evolutions).

I'm just glad luck was on my side for once in my life. And also, proud to say that the hours I spent breeding legitimate Pokemon weren't wasted. The guy I fought in the finals was awesome. Really clever, and his tactics were somewhat original. It was nothing short of epic, or at least it felt that way.

Oh yeah, and the most-used Pokemon in the whole tournament was... Empoleon! WTF? Seriously, I saw about 7 or 8 of them scattered throughout the tournament. Compared to like 4 Garchomps and 5 or 6 Tyranitars (oh god those were annoying). I saw a few Torterras and Infernapes, too, not nearly as much as the others though. Surprisingly, whenever an Empoleon came out it went right to work making a big pain-in-the-ass of itself.

Name: Chozo
Team:
Blissey
Vaporeon
Dusknoir
Bronzong
Benchwarmers: Hariyama and Rhyperior =(
Rules:
-level 50 all
-4vs4 single battle

I was probably the only person there who had any real idea what he was doing, given the fact that I saw Fly Latios and Mewtwo using Strength. It was rather depressing.

Rules:
- L50 All
- NO Sleep Clause/item clause/..yah no clauses
- All Pokemon allowed, save for Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus
- Battles were 3vs3

My Lineup:
Lum Berry/Life Orb Metagross
Choice Specs Salamence
switch off between DD Tyranitar and tailglow Manaphy as my third poke.

Summary:
About 30 or so contestants with most of the older kids having evtrained pokemon. Fought countless Mewtwos/Giratinas/and all the other uber dragons on my way to a new PBR game, Poketopia Tee, Pikachu stufftoy, and most importantly...reminding my gf she is dating a pokedork. =)

Name; Andrew A
Target Center Gamestop, Silverdale, WA

Rules;
-All available clauses on.
-4 pokemon choice per battle
-doubles
-no legends

Team; Salamence, Scizor, Weavile, Milotic, Jolteon, Porygon-Z

There were about 20-ish people who showed up to this store. A large portion were young kids, at least half. Did singles for the first few matches but the guy in charge decided to do doubles because it took too long (I honestly didn't see much time difference between the singles and doubles matches). I thought I would lose after hearing about the change, but luckily most people didn't appear to be prepared for it either. I managed to get a few clean sweeps, but there were some good guys who sorta knew what they were doing. Finals turned out to be me and my friend, but I pulled through with Porygon. The store told us they only received one shirt, so he got it. And since I already have PBR, I sold it to another friend for $30. I'm about to send a complaint into Nintendo about the store only having one shirt though, maybe I can get something.

I saw a whole bunch of Tyranitar, Weavile, Jolteon, Empoleon, Charizard, and Lucario. There was also a Togekiss who tried to flinch, but I don't remember seeing him get even one. Pretty unlucky I suppose.

Vash

- West Berlin Gamestop. Banned from the other for winning the first torney.
Rules:
- Level 50 All
- Any Pokemon ('cept the final three unobtainables)
- Choose 4 Pokemon (Confirmed 6 on Wednesday...)
- 2 vs 2 (Didn't find this out until my Pokemon were on the field. Lucky it was Chomp@Brightpowder and Tar@CB. Unlucky both had EQ)
- Democracy decreed that Legendary Pokes be banned.

Basically a bunch of noobs except like 2-3 guys. I got to see a Slaking and a Lax though. The faint animation on Lax was funny. He made a japanese OH NOES! kind of face. I lol'd. Slaking just looked like he ran the show, though.

Well, my brother won. He has an account but he doesn't want to use it now.

Name: Brian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)