Why do people want to ban more and more things?

Blame Game and Serene Grace, I'm having a lot of trouble placing exactly what you would consider to be a competitive game of pokemon. It's clear that you feel we need to stay as true to the original game as possible to be 'competitive', but I feel that we're already so far away from it that we throw that argument completely out the window.

In Pokemon, there is a real time sink balancing the creation of a solid, competitive pokemon. First you have breeding for moves and stats (or soft resetting), and eventually 'settling' for less than ideal stats. Of course, if you're breeding, then breeding for ideal parents comes into play as well. Then you have to level your pokemon up as well - and pokemon are also balanced by ease of levelling. Many pokemon level up fast, but suck at max level, while dragons and some of the other very powerful pokemon level up very slowly. Then you have examples such as Breloom that need to level up a long way being extremely weak in order to reach full potential. Let's also not forget limited use of TMs and move tutors. We already take shortcuts to get around this sort of thing in wi-fi play when we accept cloning, but we go one step further with simulators. We have to realize that we're bypassing a huge part of the game by giving everyone a Salamence with max stats and whatever moves it wishes.

If you really want to, you can argue we're playing a different game already. Now we make concessions to make the game more dynamic, fun, and playable overall. We add a bunch of clauses. We realize that if we ban a small number of the most powerful pokemon from the 'standard' metagame, it makes an even larger pool become available for play (again, we're creating our own metagame here). Then, in the spirit of competition, we consider other suspected problems and their effect on the game.

Banning less is definitely preferable, but not because it makes us more competitive at the original game. We've already gone too far for that. Hell, the official tournaments go too far for that, and that's another reason I'm really having a hard time seeing your logic on this. I can understand wanting a static metagame to improve at, but I completely disagree at where we should place that standard. You say as close to the original game as possible, while I say it should be at an arbitrary point at which we compromise having a sizable pool of pokemon (so that teams are diverse and the game is fun enough to play) with focusing on skill-based play as much as possible. The fact is, smogon puts more emphasis on getting the metagame 'right' than it does on finding a metagame as fast as possible and sticking to it.

Honestly, whenever Colin and others argue over this here, their points seem mostly apologetic toward the original argument rather than holding real value. Somehow OHKOs and evasion moves will actually promote skill-based play, and somehow Garchomp, D-S, and Wobb don't actually overcentralize the game. It's intellectual dishonesty at it's finest. We disagree at the base of the argument, but instead we end up arguing over what exactly 'overcentralization' and 'skill-based' mean.

In reality, the word we don't agree on a definition for is 'competitive'.

At first I was actually against a Garchomp ban in the game (though I never used it, i didn't like how it looked. Besides, I'm a die hard Salamence fan), mainly because I thought it was unnecessary. If you want to get rid of Chomp, just pack a STAB Ice Shard, which is more useful than people give it credit for anyways. But then, with no Garchomp, suddenly my Bulky Waters could be more Bulky, as they did not have to pack the 269 SpA to OHKO Chomp with Ice Beam. And I could use some other pokemon more, like Heatran.

Then came Skymin. I was also against the Skymin ban mainly because I saw it as unnecessary again, as the pokemon was not so ridiculously hard to beat. Indeed, when I tried out Skymin for myself, it's performance was decidedly underwhelming.

Testing something because it "has a lot of things going for it" is retarded. We hadn't even used it yet, I mean it doesn't get much simpler than that.
A new pokemon is introduced. It is functionally similar to an existing Pokemon that was at one point a suspect, only with something like three major advantages. Do you test it? Seems to me the answer should be "yes".

focus band ban?
I was under the impression that Focus Band was disallowed, or at least heavily frowned upon, because it is entirely luck-based rather than having any basis in skill.

anyway, my point was basically that items are "options" (in smash bros) and "banning" them is essentially viewed as "playing a different game" nowadays. In fact, there's an entirely separate ruleset used called "All Brawl." But I don't even know how this is all even relevant anymore.

Anyway yeah, agreeing with SG.
Go to Smashboards (basically the smash equivilent of Smogon) and find the thread on "All Brawl". Every single competitive member of the community regards it as a joke at best.

Your "point" that items are options that are banned to play a different game is precisely the reason bans are required. In it's un-modified form, Smash Brothers (and Pokemon) is garbage competitively. Bans in Smash Brothers and Pokemon are required to make the games in to something that is fun, requiring of skill, and competitive.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I never said they weren't on the mark, i just pointed out that the bans happened because "the community wants it banned" rather than based on... evidence
I would argue the community wants it banned based on evidence that it should be. There are a lot of people who vote in bad faith, and that is unfortunate but unavoidable. Not having the suspect ladder for the shaymin test was a mistake, but that is being reexamined. When we have had the suspect ladder I would say the overwhelming majority of the voters were voting because they evidence convinced them of the suspect's position.

Pokemon needs an uber tier, that is obvious. Nintendo's uber tiers are pretty shitty "latias is fine, but dont even think about using Phione, shaymin-L or jirachi", so we make our own. Once we have decided to make our own, we try to make it as good as it can be, banning as little as possible has nothing to do with anything.

Have a nice day.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I actually do doubt that, Hip, though "there's no way of knowing". People who banned Skymin, a lot of them thought that from the start, and I don't know if playing a Suspect-free ladder would change their opinion on that at all. Then again, there's not much we can do about people who decide before the test, and I'm sure some people who said that the metagame centralized around Skymin may have stronger or weaker arguments with a Suspect Free ladder.

I would argue the community wants it banned based on evidence that it should be.
that's fine hip, but "evidence" is a really difficult parameter to define, but since it is essentially a huge set of inputs into a "what we like" output, it's better to start the definition there like x-act says.

Pokemon needs an uber tier, that is obvious. Nintendo's uber tiers are pretty shitty "latias is fine, but dont even think about using Phione, shaymin-L or jirachi", so we make our own. Once we have decided to make our own, we try to make it as good as it can be, banning as little as possible has nothing to do with anything.
perfect summary.

@qibing
It's clear that you feel we need to stay as true to the original game as possible to be 'competitive',
i think the argument is that we are altering the metagame environment, not the metagame mechanics. a ban list isn't changing the way the game works, just how you play it. we have a forum for hypothesizing changed game mechanics even (cap)

the other thing is that ideal battling literally has nothing to do with the rest of the pokemon game so idk why you are even bringing up breeding =__= we're examining the pokemon cart environment at it's maximum potential, why even mention the rest? it's kind of worthless.

"banning" or "removing" is how we bring it to it's "ideal stage", but we never since "add" or "alter the functionality". in other words, we're just trimming the hedge, not altering it's DNA and grafting it

in other words, with most bans "we know what we're doing". our intrinsic bans include "everything ingame". our intrinsic pokemon bans include "obviously broken stuff" (that are not imune to being tested but it would be a waste of time).

once we get to the grey areas stuff gets more complicated but "we are doing our best". i can't ee how you can argue for limiting bans when we have no idea how many we need =__=

The idea of having as few bans as possible isn't really that we want a low number of bans, it is that things should be OU/Standard until proven Uber by . There's no upper cap placed, but in the event of a controversy or a close divide like the Shaymin-Sky vote, the suspect stays OU.

I don't think Uber status should b decided by a plurality. 2/3 or 3/4 majority would be more reasonable, considering that banning something should be considered as an extreme measure.

The idea of having as few bans as possible isn't really that we want a low number of bans, it is that things should be OU/Standard until proven Uber
that's fine, because by definition we take suspects and test them (chomp) or ban them outright (palkia). you aren't strictly placing an upper bound but you're arbitrarily saying "fewer bans the better". what we're saying is "as many bans as necessary" which has nothing to do with how few we want.

in the event of a controversy or a close divide like the Shaymin-Sky vote, the suspect stays OU.
im not saying skymin is uber but when you have a set of votes voting for something by the parameters we ourselves set, it's not really fair to throw them out, no matter how thin the margin.

cim

One idea is to have a "supermajority" vote. If two-thirds vote Uber, it's Uber. If two-thirds vote OU, it's OU. If it's in the middle, there's "no consensus", defaults to OU, and a new test or other appropriate action is planned.

Under this system, Deoxys-S and Garchomp would both have been Uber, and Skymin would be "no consensus" (so basically the same thing as right now but with Skymin "defaulting" to OU until then instead of Uber)

That's pretty smart - if the supermajority can't decide, then it defaults.

But I think that Pokemon that are Uber to begin with should stay in Uber if the supermajority cannot decide, and OU Pokemon stay in OU if the supermajority cannot decide.

Outrage and Skymin and SR are no that hard to handle. You just need prepare your team for all these things you'll face.

Skymin is really underwhelming, a heatran comes in, and skymin flys off. Or anything really. 120 spatk is really low. And seed flare only has 120 bp. While a lot of other pokemons has over 130 spatk and a good 120 bp attack. Like heatran and salamence. Like the drop doesn't matter unless you can outspeed something.

Salamence gained outrage from plat, but he is still inferior compared to garchomp. Who here ever uses mence's second STAB? Flying is a gay type. This makes it weak to SR. Unlike garchomp who has ground as second type, which is what makes all the difference. Ground makes it resist SR and at the same type powering up the already powerful earthquake. You could say the mence has access to DD which makes it stronger and faster in one turn. But chomp has a higher base speed and way bulkier defense stats. So mence and chomp are totally irrelevant. You cannot compare them, they are just way too different.

Well SR is just apart of the game. Unless you are starting a new metagame, you cannot ban SR.

*See me avatar? You don't see garchomp fighting the two flying dragons, because they are too different. Garchomp can't even reach those two even if it thrust himself upward with fire blast while he jumps upward.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something occurred to me recently. I'm wondering why your average member of the community at around 1300-ish on Shoddy isn't allowed to vote on tier placements, however his usage statistics are still used by just about everybody to make their points about overcentralisation and the like.

Wouldn't statistics used to prove points be more relevant to the matter if they only counted pokemon usages by trainers around the 1600 mark?

cim

That's pretty smart - if the supermajority can't decide, then it defaults.

But I think that Pokemon that are Uber to begin with should stay in Uber if the supermajority cannot decide, and OU Pokemon stay in OU if the supermajority cannot decide.
If we didn't arbitrarily tier a lot of our suspects based on the previous generation I would agree with you, but generally the Suspect Test is "making up" for carrying over an identical Uber list. The reason it would "default" to OU until something else is done would be because we "try to avoid bans as much as possible", so if we don't know if something should be banned we keep playing with it. As a side effect of this, it may become more clear that it's Uber or OU while we re-test / wait to re-test.

The problem is that, once again, 'Uber' is not well defined, nor is it the only distinction that we give aspects of the game we deem harmful to competitive play. We clause items and pokemon for various reasons, and that's why this is such a touchy issue.

If pokemon were even approaching competitive to begin with, we'd consider bans as 'extreme', but since it's not I don't see why a close vote automatically means we should keep something standard. Bans are not necessarily bad, even if we want things to be standard and not uber. That's the key too - we want them to be standard, but we don't just assume every new pokemon is going to be. Testing is (or rather: should be) done with zero real bias. We're testing to see where a pokemon, move, item, etc lies in the framework that we've already created. The Skymin example is especially troublesome because it was admitted into standard play before testing, and then tested on the same ladder.

Requiring an overwhelming % of people to vote against something in order for it to be banned gives the impression that we're okay with a large part of the community feeling stranded on an issue without much explanation as to why. I would much rather see close votes (neither side reaching 60%) go more toward a committee-type decision wherein the people who directly have a say in smogon's philosophy are the ones calling the shots. A supreme court of pokemon, if you will. At least in that case, there would be a decision that was justified and backed by significant reasoning. If users disagreed with the reasoning provided, they could then put together well-constructed arguments over smogon's policy rather than masking it behind overspecific examples.

I love that smogon is willing to reach out to the community on issues like this, but while I think popular opinion should have some say in things (and it is a necessary part), the final decision should be made by those who can carefully review the situation with regards to the framework which smogon's policy provides.

cim

I think the idea by having popular opinion, sir, is that perhaps there are other wise people without badges that should be able to voice their opinion (Serene Grace and Blame Game spring to mind).

We don't default Uber because competitive environments ban things that are a detriment to competitive play, and as a last resort for a particularly gamechanging or domineering strategy. We should never default anything to Uber anyway, like you suggested, when it first comes into the gmae (Skymin) as we've never played with it.

Also, badges aren't just given out for merit, and they shouldn't be. I don't have a Pre-Contributor badge because I'm a prick, but that doesn't mean I've never contributed. I don't see why "You're a jerk" should be a way to eliminate people from decision making on tiers, and while I don't know for sure I think that's part of why voting is public.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Chris - we shouldn't default things immediately to uber unless it is clearly uber e.g. bases stats of 670 or above, like Giratina-O, or Darkrai in Plat thanks to great stat distribution and Dark Void.

However, it's ironic that all the D/P suspects (Garchomp, Deoxys-S, Skymin and, if one considers them suspects, Wobbuffet and Manaphy) have been declared Uber.

What does that say about Latias? Latias was über to begin with. Will people vote it OU, since Chomp, Shaymin-S and DX-S were all OU to begin with?

What does that say about Latias? Latias was über to begin with. Will people vote it OU, since Chomp, Shaymin-S and DX-S were all OU to begin with?
Last I knew, Speed Deoxys was originally Uber on account of being Deoxys, then went down to OU (don't remember the exact reason, think it was because insane speed didn't seem that good with average everything else) then back to Uber. (that lead set with Taunt was probably a big reason, makes you wonder why nobody thought of it during its original Uber stint)

And if I'm misunderstanding your point then never mind me.

EDIT: Did Shaymin-S even exist before being tested?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that lead set with Taunt was probably a big reason, makes you wonder why nobody thought of it during its original Uber stint
no one uses it because with the other common leads, Deoxys-A, Dakrai and Groudon you're wasting a turn getting hit by a powerful attacks. Though I would say using Taunt against support Groudon is a good move on your part.

Deoxys-S was Uber to begin with, and Shaymin-S was only OU for like a day before being made Suspect. I think it's notable that Garchomp's vote was less one-sided than Deoxys-S', probably because Deoxys-S didn't have a chance to make a meaningful long-term impact on the metagame/players with its DS set. If we had left it in for a few months (or if it had started out OU) and more mid/low tier players had gotten used to it, there might have been a different (as in, closer) result, because more players would have had incentive to keep the metagame as it was. So I'd definitely say that starting Uber is only going to be a disadvantage in this process, except in possibly rare cases such as Deoxys-S' where we discover a game-changing tactic after the test is over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)