Why do you root for the underdog, the humble, the weak, and the helpless?

Why must you hate on the arrogant and the champions?

Is there no honor in accelerating the Survival of the Fittest Ordeal, by casually eliminating the underdeveloped and untalented and leaving them for the birds?

Is there no honor in slaughtering cripplse and barbarians that are detrimental to our aspirations of a logical society oozing with art and grandeur?

Is there no honor in revering and celebrating the Alpha male at the expense of the altruistic Beta!?

Is there no honor in siding with a bully who will strive lengths to achieve that which he desires? Why must he be deemed a coward for merely fulfilling his desires? Why is a megalomaniac such a turn-off? Why is Narcissus antagonized? Why do girls publicly pretend to dislike jerks?

Why?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because the winners always get cockier every second.
Because the bigger they are, the harder they fall, which is amusing to watch.
Because I hate seeing repeat winners, even as myself.
Because you shouldn't put z's to replace your s's.
Because you need to put more substance in your posts.
Because it's boring watching them over and over again on TV winning the god damn cup/pennant/bowl/w/e

Simple. It's much more entertaining to see the underdog win. It beats all expectations and gives you something to talk about. It makes you say 'holy crap!' and walk away with a smile.

If the big guy won, it'd be just another match. Nothing special.

Simple. It's much more entertaining to see the underdog win. It beats all expectations and gives you something to talk about. It makes you say 'holy crap!' and walk away with a smile.

If the big guy won, it'd be just another match. Nothing special.
I'm gonna dig into this situation a bit.

To be frank, my entire life that "Give me your tired, your poor, your hungry and I'll make something of them," quote evoked insane chills down my spine. I could never debate why I choose to help out/not step on the "inferiors" and "social parasites" cuz it comes down to some weird twisted sense of intuition. Probably some engraved ass theological thinking too haha. Few things disgusts me more than a person only barely ascending academic mediocrity and already taking cheapshots at "The Bum who spents OUR hard-earned money" and b!tching about how their rewards are taken. Couple characters embody a humanitarian vibe beneath a tough exterior i.e. Ludacris in Crash, Goku, Billy Gates, and generally that idea of being ABLE to kick one's ass w/o breaking a sweat, but not doing so. Woo-Hah such a sweet feeling I hope you graciously earn one day.

I just hate seeing the underdogs win.

I'd be more inclined to disagree with you if your avatar wasn't Freddy Mercury piledriving a shark. I mean, I may completely disagree with your opinions, but damn, that is an avatar.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Funny you'd say that since you're probably an underdog when it comes to doing something with your life

Hello,

Please stop bastardizing Nietzsche (or getting Rand exactly right). It isn't iconoclastic or interesting in any way.

Thanks.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I'd be more inclined to disagree with you if your avatar wasn't Freddy Mercury piledriving a shark. I mean, I may completely disagree with your opinions, but damn, that is an avatar.
freddie mercury wishes he was as cool as haggar.

I think you misunderstand an underdog, a classic underdog is not a lazy or stupid person, but a 'good' person who has had a tough time because of adverse circumstances. People root for these people because it enforces the concept that your ability to succeed comes from your inner strength and qualities and hard work, and not from lucky circumstances.

Girls like nice guys better than jerks because they want to be treated nicely and respectfully, guys who treat the people around them respectfully are much more likely to treat their girlfriends respectfully.

I'm gonna dig into this situation a bit.

To be frank, my entire life that "Give me your tired, your poor, your hungry and I'll make something of them," quote evoked insane chills down my spine. I could never debate why I choose to help out/not step on the "inferiors" and "social parasites" cuz it comes down to some weird twisted sense of intuition. Probably some engraved ass theological thinking too haha. Few things disgusts me more than a person only barely ascending academic mediocrity and already taking cheapshots at "The Bum who spents OUR hard-earned money" and b!tching about how their rewards are taken. Couple characters embody a humanitarian vibe beneath a tough exterior i.e. Ludacris in Crash, Goku, Billy Gates, and generally that idea of being ABLE to kick one's ass w/o breaking a sweat, but not doing so. Woo-Hah such a sweet feeling I hope you graciously earn one day.

I just hate seeing the underdogs win.
I wasn't thinking about it that deeply. I was thinking more of a sports match or something.

In a sports game, I always root for the underdog, simply because it makes the game a lot more interesting for me, and its nice to see the underdogs win. Like AssKetchum said, it wouldn't be anything special if the "favored team" won.

But in terms of life, an underdog (if one can call someone who doesn't work hard) rarely wins or succeds, and I wouldn't like it if an underdog won just from being lucky.

But if you call an underdog someone born with some kind of disadvantage, its nice to see that person come out on top, especially if that person has worked hard to get to that position. Like people with disabilities in sports or life, its nice to see them succeed at life despite their disability.

After playing pokemon for so long, when it comes to anything I always root for the person or group that "should" win. If there isn't a definite Goliath I root for whomever has the more aesthetically pleasing style.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Funny you'd say that since you're probably an underdog when it comes to doing something with your life
Money on him over you.

And I don't even know who you are talking to.

-the 28 yo on smogon

(I'm tribal. Rather than root for the underdog, I will tend to just root for whoever ressembles me the most.)

Hello,

Please stop bastardizing Nietzsche (or getting Rand exactly right). It isn't iconoclastic or interesting in any way.

Thanks.
This post should be compulsory reading for all posters prior to posting any kind of philosophical thread.

1: Society admires humility. The humble work as a group towards greater successes, the arrogant destroy their peers for personal gain and in the end fall to the humble. The meek shall inherit the Earth for the mighty will not cooperate and that shall be their doom.

2: The path to advancement and enlightenment does not merely rest upon the 'strong' and the 'smart'. All members have a role in society, and if you were to try to remove the vast portion of society you consider yourself superior to, well 'Sam Colt made all men equal.'

3: The goths sacked Rome, repeatedly. Next point please.

4: Because the good of the group far exceeds the good of the one. Look at it from a biological standpoint using this example: The lone wolf kills several small prey, and keeps himself alive. He may find a chance or two to mate in his life, and in order to live has to never get sick or injured lest he starve. The pack of wolves have much less problems finding prey, able to work together to bring down large prey like deer. All the individuals in this group get a chance at reproductive success, and minor injuries and illness are less likely to be fatal. Who is more successful, the lone wolf who has his own rabbits, or the pack sharing deer?

5: In the end all of these are self destructive behaviors. The bullies eventually bite off more than they can chew and ends up jailed or worse dead. The megalomaniac is paranoid and self obsessed, and will have little chance of producing offspring as the megalomaniac is too busy with his/her obsession. Narcissus drowned staring at his own reflection, so bad example there. There is no pretending here, no one likes a jerk, as a jerk is an awful reproductive strategy, as a jerk does not take care of their mate or his offspring.

In the end its all about survival and the lone wolf strategy falls far behind the group strategy. We love champions, but hate the arrogant because the arrogant tend not to be the champions. How many super high profile NFL players have super bowl rings? How many NFL players have Super Bowl rings. I guarantee you set B is larger than set A. Life and society are team sports, and the larger the team, the better off everyone within is.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
beat himself to death eh?

Also supporting champion teams is unrewarding. If you demand success in the teams you support then you'll only ever be dissapointed when they lose.

If you support an underdog your potential highs are way higher.

Have a nice day.

Hello,

Thanks.
lol Rand rips are old and misguided and her ethical views have some merit, not to say I find objectivism totally agreeable either (definitely boring, unreadable books and not eloquently presented). And get off Nietzshe's nuts because we all know Wittgenstein and Russell are the true ballers :pirate:

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. I clicked on this expecting it to be in Sports Arena and talking about the Browns. Don't think I'm going to argue with someome as receptive as a stone wall, though. Thanks for the laugh, though.

I like to root for the underdog when I see technical or creative potential. I like to encourage departing from the things that everyone else does, and picking up new ways to surprise people and show them what you can do. What's wrong with that? =0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)