[Wifi OU] Standard is just a word (Peaked 18)

Hi guys. First of all i'm not formerly english. I will do my best to be as clear as possible but please do not be rude about the unavoidable mistakes.

So this is my first RMT. It took a lot of reflection to me before posting it, because i didnt want it to be a bad team. My game style may seems a little weird but i work on my sets alone and i kinda like surprise effect. Thats why you will see some "wtf this is not standard" sets, on standard pokes. I am very instinctive, and my team changed a lot since it was firstly released (for the same reason, posting any team building would be too long and weird to you). Though, it is now almost definitive and i'd like to share it with you, because i peaked 18 (name: flapiflapo) and it is pretty good for an amateur like me.

Feel free to correct me, but please remember i already know the standard sets, and i wont play it because i play with the "wtf is this set dude?". The most help i need will be with ev spread, which will seem very noob to you. I dont calc and as i said i am very instinctive so its very often 252 252 4 (sorry for that!)

And now lets begin!

Team Preview

So as you see, all the pokes, bar Hippowdon and Latias (often replaced by Latios and Tyranitar) are VERY top tier standard. The goal here is to play my game style : set up spikes/stealth rock, and make the opponent cry and switch with a very effective defensive core synergy (gliscor hippo ferro and latias), scout with rotom-W and Scizor to maintain the momentum by double switching very often and finally sweep with gliscor, scizor or latias.

The defensive core may seem like the "gliscor nattorei burungeru" from B/W but i dont like this big pringles and Latias feet much better in my team, in a perfect synergy with Ferrothorn. Gliscor is added to beat Conkeldurr and Excadrill, and Hippo close the trio, sadly adding ice weaknesse but its not this much of a problem as you will see.

So no, i dont really have a "sweeper". This is more of a semi-stall team (4 of my pokes can heal themselves) with 2 very good scout to glue it. As you can guess i play a lot with double switching, overpredicting and the "momentum" is THE thing i must keep, because it will give me victory in most cases.

Okay so this is it with team explanation, lets begin with the pokes!

The team

Hippowdon (F) "Full Of Sand" @ Leftovers
Nature : Careful
252 HP, 252 Spdef, 4 Def

- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

So this is the inducer of sand. And yeah, it is specially defensive, and it works fucking well. It can take draco meteor and surf from spec latios (which will often lead against him, expecting OHKO), and hydro pump from scarf toad if its not raining (its never raining in this situation since im very slow). His physical bulk is still impressive, and it takes all kind of hits pretty well and can slack off the damage, or roar out the opponent. Its my favorite death fodder too, because once i have setup rocks and maintained the sand against rain or sun it loses a lot of usefulness.

Though, i win the weather fight in 90% of cases, Ninetales is never a problem (lol @ all it can launch to me) and Politoed, well i just have to switch on Ferrothorn to lol at him too, and the spec version is rare enough). EQ is a very strong attack coming from 110 base Atk, 2 ko Scarf/Spec toad on the switch. Finally, only Abomasnow is a problem but its so rare and so raped by the rest of my team.. The set is very standard so i dont need to explain it, phaze and setup weather and rocks.

Gliscor (F) "HP Ice?" @ Toxik orb
Nature : Adamant
252 Hp, 184 Atk, 72 Spe

- Acrobatics
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Protect

Here it is, the already old set from the beginning of B/W! Acro fling! This thing is a monster. Can sweep unprepared teams, can tank every kind of attacks bar ice/water, ohko every kind of Volcarona, surviving +1 fire blast, Status absorber, ultimate breloom counter... This rocks. The ev spread allows him to outspeed max speed Tyranitar, Jellicent and Abomasnow, and destroy them. If i predict well, this thing is really unkillable. Its a pain, nothing more. Adamant nature and atk spread allows him to hit very hard with acrobatics on common switch-ins (including Kingdra, Thundurus, Starmie, Latios, Gengar, and even Gliscor and Ferrothorn...).

The most funny thing is to toxik rotom-w in the beginning of the game because if the guy have it, it will switch in. Toxik gastrodon on the switch is nice too. Even if trick is not very common, fling can be useful to avoid it, with protect helping the prediction (the fun thing is most of the threat to gliscor are often choiced, and protect ruins this).

Ferrothorn (F) "Blissey" @ Leftovers
Nature : Impish
252 Hp, 48 Def, 208 Spdef

- Spikes
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

"Omg noob you dont have any attack you are totally taunt weak lolllz" Before those kind of comments, please read this : i know it doesnt have any attacks, but when i thought to it, i was like "well WHO will taunt this little guy?" and then i realized than Gliscor, Jellicent and Thundurus were all 3 pokes i would switch out anyway! Furthermore taunt is finally rare enough. And i realized something else : you set up spikes, and begin to leech seed/protect. The guy say "okay last slot grass or steel attack, then switch in Heatran, Jirachi or else. hi Thunder wave, hi gliscor hi Earthquake (its a shortcut). This thing can spread paralysis on a whole team. One the team is paralysed, well you know. So okay its not OP. But it works well. It allows me to catch Heatran and Jirachi, 2 big threats to my team. For the rest, well its Nattorei, you all know it and love/hate it. The spread is classic and the role too. This is the main wall of my team and it really works because his 2 weaknesses are easily compensed by Latias, Gliscor, Hippo and Rotom. Luckily, because without this little spiky guy, the game would be harder for me.

Rotom-W (N) "Washin You" @ Choice Scarf
Nature : Modest
252 Spatk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp

- Volt Change
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Hp Fire

Aaaah Finally a standard spread and set! Hell yeah, this works well. Rotom-W is the glue of my team, gaining momentum on double switching, Volt change to the appropriate counter etc. Its really the best scout in the actual metagame, like Flygon once was. Still, its doing hardcore dmg with H-pump on Ground switchs-in (if it doesnt miss!). If the team is pretty stally, trick allows me to put one of the poke out of the game. It survives very often till the end of the game, only damage being sandstorm and stealth rocks (i dont like it being hit). First threat: Gastrodon, ultimate counter, but i can trick it. HP Fire rounds the coverage for Sun sweepers and Ferrothorn.

Scizor (F) "I AM CHEAP" @ Choice Band
Nature : Adamant
208 Hp, 252 Atk, 48 Spe

- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Back in 4g, I was really like "its broken i dont want it". And one day i made a team, and with this team i made it to the top 10 on PO. Scizor was THE mvp of ALL my match. After the 5th gen, i continued to use him, never removing him of any team. Perfect finisher, Wonderful scout, this thing would need only U-turn and Bullet punch to work, Superpower and Pursuit rounds the coverage, useful for impudents Ferrothorn or Magnezone (Superpower) or switching out Latios or Rankurusu (Pursuit). 48 Speed allows him to outspeed 4 or 8 spe 70 base speed pokes, including Skarmory, Defensive Toad and Hitmontop most notably. Besides this point, this is a very standard poke with a standard set so i dont need to explain this much.

Latias (F) "Its Superman" @ Leftovers
Nature : Modest
252 Hp, 252 Spe, 4 Spatk

- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Okay so in before the lolz wtf. Calm Mind bolt beam Latias is a anti metagame poke. Pwn drizzle teams. Totally. Tank everything bar Scizor, Tyranitar and the rare X-Scissor Excadrill (it cant take an outrage from cband Dragonite and Haxorus, but honestly who can really take it?). Tyranitar and Excadrill are destroyed by Gliscor and Scizor will slowly die to Spike, volt switch and acrobatics in most of case. Dragonite and haxorus will often make a kill if my Ferrothorn is not in a good situation they are easy to RK with Bullet Punch.

Switching in on Gliscor, who will wait roar and ice fang, being outsped and OHKO with ice beam. Politoad will take a Tbolt. Ninetales wont like it either. Very easy to setup, nearly perfect coverage, i really dont get why nobody uses it. Its a no-no, i never saw it. I use it and it works. Maybe i should get another spread because i dont need this much speed, since its a lategame poke. In the early and mid game, it will only switch in, take hit, recover or switch out. About Ttar and Scizor, i said im used to Double switch, so im very rarely about taking a pursuit. Scizor wont like a +1 tbolt anyway. Really, this works and i highly recommand you to give it a shot. It can take a draco meteor from Kingdra and Dragonite after one cm, recover off the dmg, and continue to setup. It may be weak on physical side, but i have Gliscor and Ferrothorn, two of the best physical tanks in the game, to help it. Very deadly, very hard to kill. And once again, i do not claim to use the best set here. It just perfectly fits with what i need and want in this team, i dont ask more!

Okay so this is it. About the threats, Volcarona is the main of them. As the rocks will be set in 90% of case, i can switch hippo in, take even +2 fire blast, and roar out to make it useless, or weak enough to rk with scizor. The rapid spinner may seem a problem for this team, but Tentacruel is wrecked by my whole team, Hitmontop is rare in OU, and excadrill must choose : rapid spin and break balloon/take a bit hit in the face, or switch out. Donphan is a threat but its very rare in OU and i dont think its really an issue.

So there it is, i hope you had fun reading this and that i didnt make too much grammatical mistakes!

Cya!

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a very stallish team, so rapid spinners will likely give you a shitload of trouble. Personally, I really hate Jellicent since it walls like, nothing. However, as a spinblocker, its unfortunately the only choice (why the **** did GF have to **** up the Rotom forms) The only members it could realistically replace are Latias and Rotom-W. However, it would also open more holes on your team. I would personally advise against it, since Scizor can take out Starmie, R-W can remove Forretress, Tentacruel and Donphan. Just don't let Hippo/ Ferrothorn die, and reset your hazards once the aforementioned spinners are disposed of.

Gliscor: This is a very outdated set. Perhaps the biggest problem about it is that you need to waste a turn protecting before you can fling the toxic orb. By then the opponent has already switched in some1 to OHKO you. If you don't fling it. Acrobatics does pitiful damage. I've been playing around with a Gliscor set you might find effective: subtect toxic staller. Essentially play around Excadrill as you would normally, some1 pops the balloon, and both Hippo and Gliscor laugh at it as it squirms around uselessly. Rinse and repeat for Terrakion. What it does accomplish is still molest Conkeldurr, but become an elite wallbreaker as well. Toxic the Clown face. Your opponent will now make some comment about you being a noob and giving DURR a Guts boost. Then start an infinite chain of Substitute, Protect, Substitute, Protect... and watch the Conkeldurr die flailing uselessly. The beauty of this set is that after one Substitute and one Protect, your back at the health you were at before the first Substitute. So you can literally start an infinite chain. EQ is really a filler move to hit poison/ steel types immune to Toxic.

*Note: Gliscor will now no longer counter Breloom. But for the ability to outstall, like half of OU. Its definately worth the switch. Heres the set:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake

Hi ! Very nice team, since you use Hippo only to avoid others weathers without using any real abuser.
The only things that i notice it's the status-weak of latias, Toxic really cripple her and she doesn't enjoy a t-wave too. Maybe a Lum Berry can be a good solution to your problem, but it leave your latias open to sand passive damage. The only solution is to use lum or really scout for any status inducers in the opponent team.

Okay dude i will try this one and tell you, i precise i will try ALL your suggestions (since i lost my first account and had to remake all from the beginning). Real threatlist will come tonight or tomorrow

edit : about Latias, i was thinking or a more offensive set, without calm mind but with spatk evs and substitute, or with rest and chesto berry. What do you think about this?

I think hp grass would be much better for rotom than hp fire due to gastro and quagsire making a much bigger appearance lately and you have no answers to bulky waters since ferro doesn't have power whip. I also saw you wanted to make an offensive latias but I think an offensive latios would suit your team much better due to him being able to run hp fire for steel threats and punching holes in teams or even sweeping easily with rocks and spikes up and paralysis spread around

First of all, you should defintely be using the standard Calm Mind set on Latias which uses a Timid (+Spd, -Atk) nature along with Dragon Pulse and Roar in place of T-Bolt and Ice Beam. Your current set doesn't help Latias to deal with Tyranitar and Scizor while the new one certainly will. Roar allows you to take full advantage of entry hazards by forcing the two aforementioned threats out of battle only to take more damage when coming back in. Once those two have been severely weakened or eliminated you'll be able to sweep quite easily even with just one move. Another plus from using Roar is that you can set-up Calm Minds along side Virizion and Reuniclus and then force them out allowing you to sweep.

My other suggestion is that you use a Swords Dance Gliscor in place of your current set. It actually has more bulk than what you're running so it can counter the likes of Excadrill, Conkeldurr, and Terrakion while also being a fearsome offensive presence.
Taunt lets you act effectively as a stallbreaker by crippling Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and variants of Hippowdon/Blissey that are lacking an Ice-type. Of course, this gives you the perfect chance to set-up and hit your opponent using the excellent neutral coverage given by Earthquake and Ice Fang. Here's the complete set:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb l Impish l 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spd
Earthquake l Ice Fang l Swords Dance l Taunt

Anyways, cool team and good luck.

I will try HP grass, its correct i dont have problem with Ferrothorn so..

But for Oblivion, i said i was not gonna use standard sets, and you just told me 2 of the most standard sets around right now. I will try the subtoxikprotect set for gliscor, i can try any kind of sets for Latias but not THE standard ones. I like to play around with surprise effect and replace my boltbeam with dpulse is not a good idea imo. I play more with double switching than overpredicting as i said too, so roar is not this important to me!

Thanks to you anyway

You could try a sand veil abuser Gliscor, something like

Substitute
Sword Dance
Ice Fang
Earthquake

leftovers and i'm not pretty sure about the ev spread. He functions like a minor Garchomp, but i see that taunt is very useful to stop common switch in like ferro/skarm/bliss and, without poison heal you're not status absorber anymore and the only defense against status is your sub.

first of all, if your not english that was great, it was almost perfect, so yeah congrats on that.
second, i really like the playing style here, but you have got faults which you cant rule over by saying "you can switch it out", because if things take a turn for the worst you need to face those faults. the ferrothorn/nattorei moveset is good, im curious to which move you use first after it being sent out, and i would definetely have at least one attack in there. umbreon doesnt have any attacks because his base stats for atk/spAtk are horrible, whereas ferrothorns make him a formidable tank. so i would run power whip/iron head/gyro ball over protect, otherwise its a long boring process taking them down.

lastly, well done on getting 18th spot :)

Here comes a little feedback : Hp grass on rotom was a great idea, thank you very much!

The subroost set is great but doesnt fit well in my team, since i need offensive threat with my Gliscor. I will try sd tomorrow.

For Ferrothorn, yeah ill try Gyro ball.

And about Magnezone, its not an issue at all. First its rare enough, and then if i switch in Ferrothorn, i will get him with T-Wave on the switch and proceed to leech seed him. Ill finally have to die but he wont be able to setup. Then well, superpower or my 2 earthquake will largely kill him. Team preview is a given for this since i will be able to predict Magnezone switch in easier. And this is only if i didnt double switch to Hippo or Gliscor. No, really not a trouble. I will discuss it more precisely in the threatlist

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
after taking a look at this team i can seea bulk up scrafty being a fairly large problem for u. they can come in on something like ferro get a bulkup in then liv a superpower from sccizor and bulk up again. then proceed to rape the team. ur best counter is hippowdon with roar but after weather wars/hazards it may not b able to take a +2/ higher ice punch, and if my calcs are rite then a latias tbolt is like a 3hko and with shedskin rest statuses rnt a real problem for him.....luckily these scratys are pretty rare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)