Move Wonder Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of users for this move is pretty short. Most have abysmal speed like Reuniclus and SloBroKing. But at least they have Regenerator. The fastest user is apparently Mismagius, who isn't really OU competitive anymore. This seems more trouble than it's worth.
I think it's short because we don't know exactly who is viable and who isn't. The list could get longer or shorter as people attempt to build sets with it (though realistically it might get shorter). It's also very easy to dismiss is it as useless when you look at the list of who can use it. One quickly realizes the distribution is rather poor...

However, I'd like to bring up once again it's benefits are not to be as easily dismissed. There's clearly viability here, poor distribution notwithstanding. So is it worth it? Even in OU it seems like it could viable.

I say whether or not it'll be worth it is irrelevant. What it is worth is a shot.

So here goes, based on the list of most viable candidates we can still work with some familiar territory. I'll propose the following core as an example.

Clefable and Heatran reportedly 'brought stall back' as a core. We also know that Heatran synergized well with Latias back in 4th gen. Deoxys-S and Latios are the fastest uses and technically so is Sableye. But Latios is most similar to latias synergetically.

So a trio of Clefable, Heatran, and Latios seems like it could form an interesting backbone to teams that'd like at least 1 user of Wonder Room. What do ya'll say?

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
4 Def/252 Spa/252 Spe
Timid nature
-Shadow Ball
-Wonder Room
-Destiny Bond
-Focus Blast/Taunt

This set is meant to open a lategame sweep for your team mates in the event one of their checks is still around, for example when you have a Mega Pinsir but your opponent has Skarmory or you have Mega Charizard Y and your opponent has Blissey.
If you don't need WR this set is not dead weight anyway because Gengar can still use its other moves depending on the situation.

Sableye @ Leftovers/Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EV: 252 HP/252 Def/4SpDef
Bold nature
-Taunt
-Wonder Room
-WoW/Foul Play
-Recover

You can use this Sableye either as a suicide WR setter or try to keep it around so you set it multiple times in the match, depending on what kind of team you're running. Prankster ensures you'll always be able to set it up unless you're facing faster Pranksters with Taunt.

People are forgetting that this only last 4 turns including the setting turn so effectively three, and therefore, once you switch your mega Pinsky etc in you have 2 turns, then you might be able to kill their skarmory or whatever is walling you, all while you are taking hazards, and essentially giving your opponent free turns. In the best case scenario, you kill their skarmory etc and you have one more turn, at this point they realize how it works, and just stall a turn out or just revenge your mon.
The net result if this is that you have benefitted, however this relies upon not knowing what the move does, because of they know what it does, they sure as hell aren't switching in their skarmory on your pinsir.furthermore, most people will just google it to find out why it does and act accordingly, also they might just not give give a fuck, and go to their mega char x and set up a dd in your face as you fuck around with changing the environment, in this offensive meta, giving up a free turn is generally something you want to avoid .Furthermore, the opponent can take advantage of this just as much as you can, which for example trick room doesn't have trouble with, because only the trick room team benefits.
IMO, this is just to much of a niche, however if someone was able to get it to work on a consistent basis it would be fucking amazing , I just can't see how one would do that
Essentially it is a shit version of trick room, cos speed control actually allows you to do something whereas once you have potentially surprised their wall wonder room is useless

People are forgetting that this only last 4 turns including the setting turn so effectively three, and therefore, once you switch your mega Pinsky etc in you have 2 turns, then you might be able to kill their skarmory or whatever is walling you, all while you are taking hazards, and essentially giving your opponent free turns. In the best case scenario, you kill their skarmory etc and you have one more turn, at this point they realize how it works, and just stall a turn out or just revenge your mon.
The net result if this is that you have benefitted, however this relies upon not knowing what the move does, because of they know what it does, they sure as hell aren't switching in their skarmory on your pinsir.furthermore, most people will just google it to find out why it does and act accordingly, also they might just not give give a fuck, and go to their mega char x and set up a dd in your face as you fuck around with changing the environment, in this offensive meta, giving up a free turn is generally something you want to avoid .Furthermore, the opponent can take advantage of this just as much as you can, which for example trick room doesn't have trouble with, because only the trick room team benefits.
IMO, this is just to much of a niche, however if someone was able to get it to work on a consistent basis it would be fucking amazing , I just can't see how one would do that
Essentially it is a shit version of trick room, cos speed control actually allows you to do something whereas once you have potentially surprised their wall wonder room is useless
Skarmory becomes a special wall during Wonder Room, so it wouldn't be trying to wall Mega Pinsir in Wonder Room when they know how it works.

Which is precisely why I stated in my first post that if you need force that wall out on you earlier in the game you can use a special attacker in wonder Room. Skarmory's new role will force it out earlier in the game to take damage, then it has to come back in later to take on Mega Pinsir.

Essentially what's going on is pressure is being placed on Skarmory to take on the special attacker in wonder room and the physical attacker outside of it. Not all pokemon can perform both roles in both situations. A neat bit of imagery to have in mind is putting pressure on your opponent's pawn chain in a chess game, all pieces focusing their offensive pressure on a single piece while still having access to the rest of the board. In both chess and in pokemon this is merely a tactic and not a beat all strategy. Wonder Room should be played as such, as it isn't something you want up while sweeping. You want your actions in wonder room to have benefitted you outside of it, though it is entirely possible to have it up to finish the game.

As stated earlier, you're not really giving up a free turn as Wonder Room is every bit as much as an offensive tool as it is a niche defensive one.

People are forgetting that this only last 4 turns including the setting turn so effectively three...
No, that's actually been mentioned. It's a wonder what reading the thread you post in does for you (pun semi-intended.)

I didn't know about the change to 0 priority for this move until reading this thread, which is really interesting. I don't know that it's exactly worth running anyway, but there's certainly potential.

One thing that's been pointed out already is that, unlike Trick Room, you can't base a team around this; it's a standalone tool. That makes perfect sense, as the two moves are really different. Trick Room teams are designed to make use of the limited number of turns to do major damage with slow threats, and by nature of the team makeup their opponents shouldn't really be able to take advantage of the new turn order. That move works entirely in the user's favor when done correctly and is utilized as such. Wonder Room, on the other hand, doesn't give a concrete advantage to the user while still allowing the opponent to potentially make use of the new defense numbers. I think they're too different to compare.

As a standalone tool, you can't expect this move to support teammates on a consistent basis, which definitely makes it harder to use. You could potentially set it up and either VoltTurn to an abuser or just switch, but you can't expect the move to have meaningful impact when your opponent could just switch around it. Taking two turns to set it up and switch gives your opponent plenty of time to realize Chansey isn't gonna want to stay in on Gengar or what have you.

With that in mind, if you want a good user of this move, you probably want something that can take out its regular counters/checks by switching those defensive stats. As you need to be able to immediately threaten the opponent to make good use of the move, you'll probably want to use it on the switch or behind a substitute, making the new priority actually fairly meaningless. In any case, the two Pokemon I think would utilize this move best are Gengar and Mismagius. Both have access to speedy Substitutes to ease prediction, and Mismagius can potentially run Nasty Plot (though between WR, NP, Sub, Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam it'll have a hard time putting everything it wants in one set.)

The last point I want to touch on is exactly what Wonder Room accomplishes as an offensive tool. Arguably, it's role is a stallbreaking/wallbreaking weapon. That said, what makes it a better option than the several wallbreakers and stallbreakers we already have? That's something to really keep in mind.

I'd really like to see someone give us proof of this move being used well, as I'm sure I haven't discussed every way to potentially utilize it. It's still a really cool option, even if it is niche and hard to use.

No, that's actually been mentioned. It's a wonder what reading the thread you post in does for you (pun semi-intended.)

I didn't know about the change to 0 priority for this move until reading this thread, which is really interesting. I don't know that it's exactly worth running anyway, but there's certainly potential.

One thing that's been pointed out already is that, unlike Trick Room, you can't base a team around this; it's a standalone tool. That makes perfect sense, as the two moves are really different. Trick Room teams are designed to make use of the limited number of turns to do major damage with slow threats, and by nature of the team makeup their opponents shouldn't really be able to take advantage of the new turn order. That move works entirely in the user's favor when done correctly and is utilized as such. Wonder Room, on the other hand, doesn't give a concrete advantage to the user while still allowing the opponent to potentially make use of the new defense numbers. I think they're too different to compare.

As a standalone tool, you can't expect this move to support teammates on a consistent basis, which definitely makes it harder to use. You could potentially set it up and either VoltTurn to an abuser or just switch, but you can't expect the move to have meaningful impact when your opponent could just switch around it. Taking two turns to set it up and switch gives your opponent plenty of time to realize Chansey isn't gonna want to stay in on Gengar or what have you.

With that in mind, if you want a good user of this move, you probably want something that can take out its regular counters/checks by switching those defensive stats. As you need to be able to immediately threaten the opponent to make good use of the move, you'll probably want to use it on the switch or behind a substitute, making the new priority actually fairly meaningless. In any case, the two Pokemon I think would utilize this move best are Gengar and Mismagius. Both have access to speedy Substitutes to ease prediction, and Mismagius can potentially run Nasty Plot (though between WR, NP, Sub, Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam it'll have a hard time putting everything it wants in one set.)

The last point I want to touch on is exactly what Wonder Room accomplishes as an offensive tool. Arguably, it's role is a stallbreaking/wallbreaking weapon. That said, what makes it a better option than the several wallbreakers and stallbreakers we already have? That's something to really keep in mind.

I'd really like to see someone give us proof of this move being used well, as I'm sure I haven't discussed every way to potentially utilize it. It's still a really cool option, even if it is niche and hard to use.
Your avatar made reading this contribution to the thread all the more satisfying, thank you.

As for proof I'd make a team myself but I've lost my edge at building effective teams. I fear what I'd make wouldn't be effective. However, I can vouche for what you said to be an effective way of setting it up. When testing between Sableye, a good wall, and Latios as an offensive user of the move I noticed that while Sableye could easily wall things by swapping defenses Latios could easily force switches by swapping defenses. Latios contributed much more, especially by giving me 4 turns to attack rather than the 3 Sableye did. Thrice I've seen Latios encourage a switch to a special wall with the Draco Meteor fears and thrice I've seen them having to switch out as a result when they found themselves in wonder Room on the switch. If Hazards were up I would have forced two switches with the same pokemon and I think that's interesting. All sableye could do was be annoying, which is ok in its own right.

Your idea to include VoltSwitch intrigues me. I noticed that losing and gaining momention occurs between the defense swap transitions (both when setting up and when it ends). Could be an interesting way to both reduce the risk and take advantage of Wonder Room.

With all this said, you are right. We need more proof of this move being applied. Careful reading of your post, and that of the rest of the thread, will make future users all that much wiser when trying to use the move.

TheLegendTamer

Call me crazy, but I see nothing wrong with throwing together a gimmick team and trying it out to see if it works. Sure, you'll lose a few games as you try to figure things out, but in the end you'll prolly have a decent team. Theory monning is good and all, but even an imperfect team with real experience is better then none at all. I've done all sorts of crazy crap and I've never even bothered making an alt.

As for an actual contribution, I considered a prankster-wonder room duo combo, but sadly, Klefki does not learn wonder room, or else you could have a nifty defensive core with some incredible versitility, esp since prankster wonder room could be switched on and off at will. I still think that sableye is by far the best setter, but I could see it working on offensive pokes in a similar manner as gravity lando-I, setup gravity on a predicted switch, and immediately threaten that switch with what is now the best move in the entire game (EP + gravity = pwnage). Unlike gravity for lando-I, wonder room can bite you in the rear a bit VIA opponent double swap, which may make abusing it a bit more difficult.

The best offensive abuser for wonder room then is a mon who has SE coverage on common walls of the opposite side. So for example, you can run a special sweeper azelf set with fire blast for SE coverage on skarm and ferrothorn, hp ice for ground flyers, and a psychic stab and just muscle past everything else with their now borderline irrelevant sp defense.

Or maybe run a similar set with mew and ice beam, iunno. Something along those lines though.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post was the idea of using Wonder Room in Doubles, which was brought up earlier. The problem with using it there lies in the fast-paced, offensive nature of that metagame. Walls and stallers are very rare in Doubles, with fast, powerful threats (often with modest bulk,) being bigger contenders. There's a lack of real targets to pick off with Wonder Room shenanigans, and since everything is so much faster you don't want to waste the turn setting it up.

If we wanted to discuss the potential for the move in Doubles I think we'd need to start a conversation in that subforum though, so this is a tiny bit off-topic. =P

So few people are used to wonder room as well, even if you know what it does, it'll be quite easy to make a mistake while it's active and send out the wrong mon.

Also because of this, shouldn't sableye be running 248-252 hp, and 252 defense evs, just because it will give 22 more points into both stats rather then maxing out sp defense like normal?

So few people are used to wonder room as well, even if you know what it does, it'll be quite easy to make a mistake while it's active and send out the wrong mon.

Also because of this, shouldn't sableye be running 248-252 hp, and 252 defense evs, just because it will give 22 more points into both stats rather then maxing out sp defense like normal?
I don't know what exactly it is you're trying to say in that last part.
TheLegendTamer

Call me crazy, but I see nothing wrong with throwing together a gimmick team and trying it out to see if it works. Sure, you'll lose a few games as you try to figure things out, but in the end you'll prolly have a decent team. Theory monning is good and all, but even an imperfect team with real experience is better then none at all. I've done all sorts of crazy crap and I've never even bothered making an alt.

As for an actual contribution, I considered a prankster-wonder room duo combo, but sadly, Klefki does not learn wonder room, or else you could have a nifty defensive core with some incredible versitility, esp since prankster wonder room could be switched on and off at will. I still think that sableye is by far the best setter, but I could see it working on offensive pokes in a similar manner as gravity lando-I, setup gravity on a predicted switch, and immediately threaten that switch with what is now the best move in the entire game (EP + gravity = pwnage). Unlike gravity for lando-I, wonder room can bite you in the rear a bit VIA opponent double swap, which may make abusing it a bit more difficult.

The best offensive abuser for wonder room then is a mon who has SE coverage on common walls of the opposite side. So for example, you can run a special sweeper azelf set with fire blast for SE coverage on skarm and ferrothorn, hp ice for ground flyers, and a psychic stab and just muscle past everything else with their now borderline irrelevant sp defense.

Or maybe run a similar set with mew and ice beam, iunno. Something along those lines though.
Maybe you'll be one of the people that build a successful team with it! Give it a shot. We already have a few pokemon listed as being viable already and at least one person tried posting movesets! Be sure to post again in this thread or PM me about what you end up doing. A battle log would be especially nice at this point, as we could use some examples of Wonder Room coming into play.

Something we do need is a reason to justify its use over common wall breakers. I know there's a reason to use it over common wallbreakers, even if that reason most likely is it being a tool for aforementioned wall breakers. The more we can justify magic room the more we can encourage its use right?

Since Latios can use the move you might appreciate using it like your Lando. Bringing back my proposed core I'll suggest it to ya.

Try Latios, Clefable, and Heatran. The 'core' I proposed earlier. Specifcally an offensive latios with a bulky Celfable and Hetran core backing it up (in which Latios and Clefable can set up Wonder Room, or just one of them). You'll need something to sponge ghost moves on the team as well if you're worried about synergy. I feel like toxic on anyone would work if you're trying to take advantage of changing who switches into who but I think one of them uses the the move anyway.

You're right, and we're still experimenting so go nuts.

Since sableye has a slightly higher defense stat then sp def stat, and since we're using wonder room anyway, the ev investment should be in defense rather then it's standard of sp defense investment, right?
Yes. If that is the case then it should be done that way. It seems like an interesting way to use Wonder Room.

I always thought that phys defensive sableye was standard ever since the bad ole days of OPAF physical mega (mega kanga, who sable was one of two counters to, mega luca, who sable was one of slightly more then 2 counters to, mega pinsir whom I'm pretty sure sable doesn't even counter, etc, etc).

I just noticed an interesting situation where I created a situation that was almost unwinnable for the opponent. I don't recall the exact details but it happened 2 days ago or so.

Alright lemme see if I can recount it. Bear with me for a second.

I used wonder room when it was safe, and the guy seemed to know how to play around it. Things were fine for him. I was using this while testing the potential for Volt-Turn to be used with wonder room, so naturally I tried to use it within the remaining 4 turns to try to get my momentum back. By what was almost sheer luck (or a mispredict on their end) I managed to get my Rotom-W out on their Talonflame on the very last turn of Wonder Room.

The conundrum they faced was, they had to switch Talonflame out. But to what? If the pokemon they had to resist either volt-turn or hydro pump were two different pokemon, and even one of them was already KO'd I think. Naturally there were no safe options, or at least completely safe, within wonder room.

They had a blissey which would be the perfect switch in to this, but wonder room was still up. There was a good chance It wouldn't take the hit well. It would have had an advantage when wonder room ended however. The opposite was true for their remaining switch in to rotom. It would have taken any hit fairly well but been at an immediate disadvantage with wonder room ending. The result was, because of the defenses about to be swapped that very turn, they had to choose between taking massive damage to potentially gain momentum back when it ended to minimizing the damage and being at a disadvantage. Neither of these things were a problem to me, since I had Volt-Switch anyway. Still, a really sticky situation for the blissey guy. I'm wondering of there's other situations like this that can be exploited.

EDIT: With this said, if its possible to consistently force situations like this then one can be golden with wonder room as a tool for maintaining momentum after having lost it after just 1 safe turn to set it up.

Appears to be that one of the largest benefits of wonder room is it's short time as well. If you build your team right it should be possible enough to create more of such situations similar to the one you described above.

With enough foresight and planning, one could potentially be able to check/counter a greater number of pokemon, while being able to increase your own teams walking potential.

The question is more akin to

"Is this potential offensive/defensive boost worth using, despite it's drawbacks?"

Rather than

"Does this move have any sort of competitive gain?"

Preface: All calcs used show effective stats, not actual stats. For instance. 252 HP/252+ Sp Def Blissey represents a 252 HP/252+ Def Blissey that has been subjected to WR, and the base Sp Def stat has been changed to 10 to represent this.

Psyshock and Secret Sword are definitely the moves to watch when using Wonder Room - you want 'em and you don't want your opponent to have 'em. Let me illustrate my point.

Scenario 1: You're sitting in the field with this Pokémon:

"The RoomMaster"
-----------------------
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trace
Sassy
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
~Wonder Room
~Trick Room
~Toxic/Tri Attack
~Recover

(Tri Attack is only to be used if you have Toxic Spikes support)

You are an ultimate Toxistaller, able to beat almost any non-Poison or Steel 1v1 and maybe even sweep teams as Trick Room makes you "fast" enough to swap your defenses as needed and Recover off damage while Eviolite makes you incredibly hard to bust through on your invested side and Wonder Room lets you swap that at will (at the start of the turn, with TR, so you're not caught flat-footed when they're KOed and bring in an attacker of the opposite alignment). Of course, you can also let TR run out in purpose or manually switch it off as their Pokémon dies if you anticipate something slower than you coming in. Look at this ridiculous stuff:

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 148-176 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Sun: 157-186 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 138-163 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 180-212 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

You can stall out some of the most threatening wallbreakers in the game by simply spamming Recover and swapping defenses when needed. But then the foe sends out a Keldeo.

252+ SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 289-343 (77.2 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Uh oh, let's switch defenses!

252+ SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 187-220 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

WAIT NO TERRIBLE IDEA

There goes your invincible Toxistaller. As you can see, Secret
Sword and Psyshock are a defensive WR user's worst nightmare. Offensively, however, they are a huge blessing.

Scenario 2: Your Pokémon:

Ur Fucked LOL
-----------------
Latios @ Life Orb/White Herb
Levitate
Timid
252 SpAtk/4SpDef/252 Speed
~Wonder Room
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Thunderbolt (to hit Mandibuzz)

When your opponent sees you, they're like "A Latios, bet it's about to Draco Meteor my (insert Pokémon here), send in Blissey! After the SpA drop it walls even Psyshock!" Of course, you instead use WR predicting the swap. Your opponent then knows what's coming:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 500-590 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And they don't want that happening at all so they swap to Hippowdon (they're apparently running a full stall team) - but you know that Hippowdon coming in based on Team Preview so what instead happens is this:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 224-265 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thus, Psyshock allows you to get into your opponent's head and abuse every wall's weak points.

Appears to be that one of the largest benefits of wonder room is it's short time as well. If you build your team right it should be possible enough to create more of such situations similar to the one you described above.

With enough foresight and planning, one could potentially be able to check/counter a greater number of pokemon, while being able to increase your own teams walking potential.

The question is more akin to

"Is this potential offensive/defensive boost worth using, despite it's drawbacks?"

Rather than

"Does this move have any sort of competitive gain?"
You have answered your own question there. With enough foresight and planning it can let your team check a greater number of pokemon while increasing your staying and pushing power. That alone is reason enough to consider it viable even if it's difficult to use. This is a case of "difficult but awesome".

Preface: All calcs used show effective stats, not actual stats. For instance. 252 HP/252+ Sp Def Blissey represents a 252 HP/252+ Def Blissey that has been subjected to WR, and the base Sp Def stat has been changed to 10 to represent this.

Psyshock and Secret Sword are definitely the moves to watch when using Wonder Room - you want 'em and you don't want your opponent to have 'em. Let me illustrate my point.

Scenario 1: You're sitting in the field with this Pokémon:

"The RoomMaster"
-----------------------
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trace
Sassy
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
~Wonder Room
~Trick Room
~Toxic/Tri Attack
~Recover

(Tri Attack is only to be used if you have Toxic Spikes support)

You are an ultimate Toxistaller, able to beat almost any non-Poison or Steel 1v1 and maybe even sweep teams as Trick Room makes you "fast" enough to swap your defenses as needed and Recover off damage while Eviolite makes you incredibly hard to bust through on your invested side and Wonder Room lets you swap that at will (at the start of the turn, with TR, so you're not caught flat-footed when they're KOed and bring in an attacker of the opposite alignment). Of course, you can also let TR run out in purpose or manually switch it off as their Pokémon dies if you anticipate something slower than you coming in. Look at this ridiculous stuff:

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 148-176 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Sun: 157-186 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 138-163 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 180-212 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

You can stall out some of the most threatening wallbreakers in the game by simply spamming Recover and swapping defenses when needed. But then the foe sends out a Keldeo.

252+ SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 289-343 (77.2 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Uh oh, let's switch defenses!

252+ SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 187-220 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

WAIT NO TERRIBLE IDEA

There goes your invincible Toxistaller. As you can see, Secret
Sword and Psyshock are a defensive WR user's worst nightmare. Offensively, however, they are a huge blessing.

Scenario 2: Your Pokémon:

Ur Fucked LOL
-----------------
Latios @ Life Orb/White Herb
Levitate
Timid
252 SpAtk/4SpDef/252 Speed
~Wonder Room
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Thunderbolt (to hit Mandibuzz)

When your opponent sees you, they're like "A Latios, bet it's about to Draco Meteor my (insert Pokémon here), send in Blissey! After the SpA drop it walls even Psyshock!" Of course, you instead use WR predicting the swap. Your opponent then knows what's coming:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 500-590 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And they don't want that happening at all so they swap to Hippowdon (they're apparently running a full stall team) - but you know that Hippowdon coming in based on Team Preview so what instead happens is this:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 224-265 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thus, Psyshock allows you to get into your opponent's head and abuse every wall's weak points.
Not sure what you mean by effective vs. actual stats. Your wording is a bit confusing to me anyways. If you're saying that a representation of the stats in wonder room pretty much mean the evs and base stats swap for defense and special defense then you are correct.

The psyshock thing is very clever, we did discuss reasons for using Wonder Room over convetional wall breakers and it seems a good answer is "They help those wall breakers too." With that said you don't have a reason to use this over conventional wall breakers. Wonder Room is a wall breaking tool and thus is non-comparable to pokemon dedicated to wall breaking.

That also happens to be the Latios set I've been running. Except I run roost over Thunderbolt occasionally to mitigate life orb damage. As for the room master it's also a very clever use of double rooms.

Latios is a good start when building a team with Wonder Room as it's easily one of the more reliable users and one of the only ones who can still be usable after fitting the move onto its set. Someone pointed out Mismagius is pretty fast as well, and ghost fairy coverage is really solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)