World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

Yeah I've registered and I got rey to aswell so I'll signup to the league when I pick my team. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a separate thread on June 4.

My preictions in order of position.

Group A - Mexico, South Africa, France, Uruguay
Group B- Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece
Group C- England, USA, Slovenia, Algeria
Group D- Australia (I hope), Serbia, Germany, Ghana
Group E- Holland, Cameroon, Denmark, Japan
Group F- Italy, Slovakia, Paraguay, New Zealand
Group G- Brazil, Ivory Coast, Portugal, North Korea
Group H- Spain, Chile, Switzerland, Honduras

The team I think will win at the moment is Holland as I really like there team and have been very good of late, they also don't have some of the injury problems Spain is experiencing. As for suprise packets - I think Serbia and Chile are good bets. Hoping for a great World Cup!

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm going with what thorns has pretty much. Except not south africa I mean they just suck

Also ARGENTINA will win it all
not with maradona you're not, its a shame that a team with so many good players has to deal with such a dumbass

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not with maradona you're not, its a shame that a team with so many good players has to deal with such a dumbass
I'm still curious as to why they have not fired him yet... Is there some kind of contract clause or something? Or is it just because of his reputation as a soccer player?

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm still curious as to why they have not fired him yet... Is there some kind of contract clause or something? Or is it just because of his reputation as a soccer player?
most likely the latter, but its probably just "too late" to fire him and who knows... he might surprise us all with his cambiassoless team

If Argentina has a great performance at the world cup it would be because of the quality of their players. Maradona is not fired yet because, HE IS MARADONA, some people and press likes him, and even trusts him (of course, not everyone), let's remember his reputation there is not only as a former soccer star, but also like a celebrity/idol level.

NESgamer your points are very valid and that is why I believe Maradona can bring success to Argentina. Because of his idol status his motivation skills is probably the highest of all managers. Whilst his tactics and selections are questionable the respect for him could help Argentina.

Just posting to say that I don't care what any of you say, England are going to win the World Cup. That is all.

My predictions in order.

Group A - France, Mexico, South Africa, Uruguay
Group B- Argentina, Greece, South Korea, Nigeria
Group C- England, USA, Slovenia, Algeria
Group D- Germany, Serbia, Australia, Ghana
Group E- Holland, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark
Group F- Italy, Slovakia, Paraguay, New Zealand
Group G- Brazil, Ivory Coast, Portugal, North Korea
Group H- Spain, Chile, Switzerland, Honduras

Just posting to say that I don't care what any of you say, England are going to win the World Cup. That is all.
I know you don't care, but there's no way were winning...unless we the other team scores own goals like Japan lol

I'm rooting for one of the African nations personally, they'll be on home turf and a have a nation behind them, I want to see some upsets. Saying that we could do a smogon pool??

I've gone into fanatical patriotism mode, where the thought of seeing the trophy back where it belongs outweighs any possible argument you could come up with that would prove otherwise.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The seven England players to miss out on a World Cup place are: Leighton Baines, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott, Darren Bent.

lol emile heskey is going to the world cup

edit: This makes the squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

edit: This makes the squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney
At least they finally came to their senses and dropped Walcott, he's been terrible lately imo. Still can't believe they kept Heskey, he's useless. I probably would've taken Baines over Warnock, and maybe found some room for Adam Johnson in there. He might be young and inexperienced but he's been brilliant lately.

Emile Heskey - WHY!!!
I'm an England supporter but I'd accept the truth, the English fail at striking. Rooney is the best in the world but Jermain Defoe cannot be his partner since he is similar to Rooney. So, England need a strong and a supportive striker. That is why, Emile Heskey has been chosen.

Taxie's right. We need a holding striker to play alongside Rooney or we just won't get the ball in the right places often enough. As a dedicated Leicester City fan, I can vouch for Heskey. Not to score, but to keep the ball. Sort of. He's definitely an improvement over the lamppost they call Crouch.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Theo Walcott is still better than Shaun Wright-Phillips, so should have gone. Emile Heskey hasn't done enough for me, if we need a big man upfront we can go with Crouch. Darren Bent should have gone. Against the better teams, I hope England adopt something like this formation:

Hart
Johnson Ferdinand Terry A.Cole
Lampard Barry
Lennon Gerrard Milner
Rooney
--
Green; King, Carragher; Carrick, J.Cole; Crouch, Defoe​

I'd hate to put Carragher on the bench if I'm honest, but he's the only other player we have who can play at Right Back and be anything close to trusted, as both Neville's missed out on contention, Hargreaves is out, and Brown is out.

I reckon we'll see Lennon, Lampard, Milner, and Gerrard in the midfield a lot of the time, with Rooney and probably Heskey up top (though it should definitely be Crouch IMO).

England can do well, but they can always do well, we'll probably fluff it in the quarter finals again, but if we avoid injuries there's no reason why we can't win it, I really believe that.

lol Walcott...but Wright-Phillips? Really?

The only reason that Rooney worked as a lone striker is that Valencia/Giggs/Nani in the last two months were on fire on the wings in terms of getting balls into the box quickly. Lennon can't really cross, and Milner doesn't have the pace to beat his full-back and get to the byline. Partly why he's mostly in centre-mid nowadays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)