Serious Would you save your bully?

Considering the direction this thread has gone, I feel like I should speak some more.

I don't claim to understand why bullied kids would commit suicide. I have absolutely no experience with this matter, no-one I know has killed themselves. But I did want to talk about my experience with bullying. Like a lot of people on this thread, I was bullied relentlessly in primary school and early high school. I moved to a different primary school for Years 5 & 6. I thought the new environment would be kinder to me, but I ended up gaining a reputation of being an easy target and now YOUNGER kids were picking on me. So I had to find a way to cope. I decided to take the violence route. After all, if I became a badass that could fuck shit up, no-one would mess with me. Maybe that option worked out for some people, but it didn't work for me. I didn't bother learning martial arts or even improving my physical form. I just went in fists flying. Needless to say, people still messed with me. It frustrated me, and I ended up being a really aggressive, emotionally unstable kid. I wasn't completely alone though. I had other schoolmates that told me I was going about my bully problems the wrong way, and I should grow up. This advice just made me furious, and I ended up beating them up over it. It wasn't until I became a much calmer person a few years later that I realised something. I was abusing innocent kids that did absolutely nothing harmful to me. I wasn't just a victim of bullies. I WAS a bully.

I wanted to bring this up because there seems to be a trend in this thread cropping up where people are saying that bullies deserve to die because they are monsters that drive emotionally unstable kids to suicide. There probably are bullies who are pricks just for the sake of being pricks, but how do you know that jerk that tripped you over isn't a troubled person? Does he really deserve death? WaterBomb brought up the point that committing suicide over a bully is bad because it would had a profound effect on your friends and family. It works the other way around to. The bully might have his own friends that appreciate his company and/or a family that loves him. Would you deprive these people of this person? I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just giving out some food for thought.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does he really deserve death? WaterBomb brought up the point that committing suicide over a bully is bad because it would had a profound effect on your friends and family. It works the other way around to. The bully might have his own friends that appreciate his company and/or a family that loves him. Would you deprive these people of this person? I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just giving out some food for thought.
I was about to post a tl;dr just like I almost did with my last post and realized it wasn't worth it. We all know the consequences of death, whether we choose to address them in a situation such as one outlined in the OP or not. It's in such a moment that we're forced to weigh the benefits vs. the consequences. Is the feeling of justice to see someone who wanted you to die and made you want to die worth the feeling of guilt and grief that might accompany it later on? Probably not. But in that moment, it probably feels like it. You can say "who the fuck are you to judge the value of another person's life?" but I'd venture to extend that same question to the person who I would consider leaving to die.

I get that you see it as acceptable, but I'm questioning why that is. Do you think that bullying, if criminalised, should result in the death penalty, or it is just one of those things where it's bad to actively kill someone (whether through the justice system or any other way) but you get to be the one who decides who lives? Or is there some other reason for it?

Also, I'd describe reaching out to save someone but pulling back at the last second just to get off on the panicked look on their face as they drown as a particularly fucked up form of bullying, far more so than being enraged by it happening to you, but hey. Would it be morally acceptable to do the same to someone who wasn't a bully?
I'm not deciding who lives and who dies, nature is. I'm merely refusing to intervene in the course of it because I loathe the person. It would be nice if bullying were a crime, or if people were simply properly punished for it. Maybe then I wouldn't feel the need to have no empathy for them for their own comeuppance. But it's not, and they aren't, so that revulsion gets to fester in everyone whom it happens towards. I'm of the mind that the only things that should get death penalties are murder and rape. But we aren't talking about justice systems here and that's a locked topic elsewhere. We're talking about nature, about someone who has fallen into water and can't swim back to shore. If I wasn't there, they'd still die wouldn't they?

Reaching out and then pulling away would be the ultimate form of "Fuck you." to someone who has done you wrong so I can see the appeal.

And of course I'd save someone who had never bullied me, as I hold no vendetta against them, but this topic isn't about them now is it? My point is, you do me or people I care about wrong, then don't expect me to save your sorry ass.

You're probably going to ask if I'd save them if they apologized next, so I'll catch it here. It honestly depends on the level of the apology and how cruel the individual was. I probably wouldn't believe them though, most are the type to go, "Hah, you mean those things I did? Was just kids stuff." and only do it for themselves to get something or 'redeem' themselves in their own eyes instead of doing it to properly repair the damage they had done to an individual. Course, there are always exceptions. But I'm talking majority.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
that's a flawed argument. nature decides that this person should die, and you have the opportunity to intervene. factoring in all the variables for these hypothetical situations many users have proposed in an attempt to add some realism (presumably) is getting away from the point of the question.

if it is within your power to save a life of a bully, ignoring the circumstance and required effort, would you? the best analogous situation would be if you were offered a button and told that the button prevented this bully from death. i think the op was fairly clear that the point of debate would be how much the bully did for you not to save him, not the circumstances that revolve around his saving.

i personally believe that people don't have the right to decide whether another should die unless they prove to be unquestionably both irrational and harmful. believing you have the right to enact personal and terminal judgement onto an individual based on what they have done to you and you alone is never justifiable to me. in the most extreme case the bully would kill you or force you to endure an unfathomably negative experience, even then i could not personally justify the taking of his life, even though it makes no sense to allow him to kill me. allowing someone to die, when there would no effort involved in saving them, is effectively the same as killing a person - which i could not personally bring myself to do.

Reactions: KM
I'm more worried about the mental state of someone who watches idly by as someone as drowning without doing anything, or even enjoying the moment as payback, then a person who feels the need to abuse certain people because of his or her's lack of esteem and need for attention.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes. For one I couldn't stand to have that on my conscience. Second, I believe all life is worth living. (precious or sacred just don't seem like the right words). Of course, 12 year old me would probably disagree.

Ok why is every one giving the politically correct answer 75% of us youd watch them die or leave them if no one was to watch of corse I now from experience that I wanted to see them die or planed to kill them myself but I never actually did but this is what is true and I know many of you will disagree with me and if you do I don't really care
csb

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
unfortunately, probably. anyone who bullied me in school has either shaped up into a proper adult or they still suck, so i'm indifferent. the only person i would cringe at rescuing is my older babysitter i had when i was younger. she would physically and emotionally abuse all the kids she babysat, including my sister and i, and later my brother, so i'm not too fond of her.

Killing somebody is absolutely sick although I have no reservations about fighting back. I don't really know how it feels though because I haven't been bullied since I was like 11. I'm 6'3" at 15 and I keep to myself/am quiet irl so I'm not really a very good target I guess. Plus my hometown is infested with jews, so...

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
so many people in this thread have some sort of twisted god complex in their heads, like you get this rush of some vigilante justice being enacted by letting somebody who has done a wrong die, or you get some kind of power high from being a "decider" in such a scenario

especially when you consider that bullying is a very lax thing to do (albeit incredibly serious and needing attention by society) comparatively for things that are legally awarded death (not that i agree with that either, but it serves to put things in a perspective)

i do not wish death on any person and especially when it comes to a one on one situation where i could potentially save a life, and i hope the people who are trying to look impressive and tough are not truly so lacking in empathy as they are trying to come across

so many people in this thread have some sort of twisted god complex in their heads, like you get this rush of some vigilante justice being enacted by letting somebody who has done a wrong die, or you get some kind of power high from being a "decider" in such a scenario

especially when you consider that bullying is a very lax thing to do (albeit incredibly serious and needing attention by society) comparatively for things that are legally awarded death (not that i agree with that either, but it serves to put things in a perspective)

i do not wish death on any person and especially when it comes to a one on one situation where i could potentially save a life, and i hope the people who are trying to look impressive and tough are not truly so lacking in empathy as they are trying to come across
I'm not trying to look "impressive" What the fuck do I gain from looking impressive about this? It's the unpopular opinion. I have empathy for some but not all, especially people who wrong me. Get off your fucking high horse.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
who said i was talking to you, outlaw?

but now, i am: if you really think caring for other people enough that you dont want them to die just because they wronged you is being on a "high horse", then you should give serious consideration to growing up and maturing

who said i was talking to you, outlaw?

but now, i am: if you really think caring for other people enough that you dont want them to die just because they wronged you is being on a "high horse", then you should give serious consideration to growing up and maturing
It's easy to infer you were talking about anyone who said "No."

I'm not saying your high horse is saving people, I'm saying its bitching about people who would just stand aside and let nature run its course. You can save your bullies all you want, I'm not gonna judge ya for it like you seem so ready to do to those who don't align with your views, so don't judge me for not saving them.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
unfortunately, probably. anyone who bullied me in school has either shaped up into a proper adult or they still suck, so i'm indifferent. the only person i would cringe at rescuing is my older babysitter i had when i was younger. she would physically and emotionally abuse all the kids she babysat, including my sister and i, and later my brother, so i'm not too fond of her.
did you get fairy god parents?

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
yes, i am judging you for saying you would let somebody who wronged you in a relatively minor way die when you could prevent it

(nature's course is a load of horse shit in a situation such as this, please don't pretend that humans are subject to the same level of interaction with the forces of nature as other creatures, im sure you know that you are grasping very hard at best with this point)

yes, i am judging you for saying you would let somebody who wronged you in a relatively minor way die when you could prevent it

(nature's course is a load of horse shit in a situation such as this, please don't pretend that humans are subject to the same level of interaction with the forces of nature as other creatures, im sure you know that you are grasping very hard at best with this point)
And I'm not judging you at all.(Except now with my next sentence.) Maybe you should mature and grow up and not think you're some high and mighty end all, be all authority on morality.

And how is this not? It's about someone drowning. No one is holding heads under water, it's someone failing to swim. You're free to throw non-nature related situations at me, my answer would still be the same. I'm choosing to not intervene.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
i will end this conversation by saying i hope nobody ever needs any sort of serious help with only you around (assuming you deem them unfit to be helped)

these scenarios are dumb anyway because obviously like im sure people said but icba to read before this last page, you dunno how youd actually react unless you were in that scenario

however, i think the idea that "if you dont save them you're a monster trying to look tough on the internet" is pretty silly, bullying affects everyone differently so trying to speak for everyone is silly. i certainly "FELT" at the time it happened i would have let the bullies who made me depressed through a lot of high school die if i could but looking back on it at 19, ~2.5 years removed from it basically, i don't really see why i'd let that rest on my conscience because in the grand scheme of my life, they were unimportant. but heres the thing some people probably in retrospect could blame that bullying for ruining parts of their life, or theyre even in high school right now dealing with it. so how can you blame someone for going with that answer.

when i watched death note the first time i totally agreed with light based on my depression at that time and how my mood was, now id rewatch it and disagree entirely. people's emotions, opinions, and ultimately answers will constantly be changing, its just how we're designed as humans, all of us different with different forms of thought and reasoning.

I agree with kd24 to the extent that we should really be attacking opinions, not the holders of opinions. I think that by calling somebody terrible for saying they wouldn't save the bully, that actually undermines the whole point (imo) of wanting to save the bully to begin with. Different people are in different states of being, and sometimes we'll have exceedingly selfish thoughts, but our response to exceedingly selfish thoughts is to address the thought, not judge the person thinking them.

The stuff about "nature taking its course" is complete nonsense. You're part of nature, so if you're looking to blame nature then the present decisions you make are still your responsibility. It's just a word game and that's what people are finding exceedingly selfish here.

Some people have pointed out that many of us might not actually do what we say we would. That's a distinct possibility. The situation we're talking about is vague and artificial, and it's impossible for us to know what kinds of things we'll have to consider in the moment. However, I still think that it's good to talk about these things and come up with useful moral heuristics in order to help our snap judgments if the situation actually does come up. Not everybody's in this for warm fuzzies.

As for WaterBomb said, well, I think we can all agree that there were some oversimplifications in there. People generally should be able to by themselves what they can do by themselves, but what that is is hard to determine. As has been pointed out, "solutions" that kids come up with to bullying run the gamut from assertiveness to aggression to suicide. Independence is great, but it's kind of a dick move to just let someone cope with something in a wrong way. I also suspect that the increases in noted bullying cases is largely due to population growth and greater exposure. Is suicide "cowardly"? That's the wrong question to ask. Does it matter? Not really.

How could you, even at the age of twelve, let someone die?

Honestly, I don't know how I could live with myself if something like that happened and I did nothing and then the kid died.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)