XY NU Wrath of Wrott

WHAT

Hello NU, I'm back to a completely new NU generation, with my first ever XY NU team. This team was created when I checked the usage statistics and noticed Samurott being ridiculously low in usage. So I built this team in an attempt to unleash its potential in NU, and it has done well in the battles I've played so far, wiping out the lower ladder with ease. This team is build around SD Samurott.

At a Glance

In Detail

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

SD Samurott is such a potent sweeper, and it has things that make sure that it isn't outclassed by Feraligatr. This thing gets Megahorn, which Feraligatr doesn't have, allowing me to break through foes like Mesprit and Exeggutor. The rest of the moves are fairly straightforward, being the boosting move, STAB, and priority attack. Lum Berry is my item of choice so Samurott will not be as easily crippled by paralysis or a burn.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Sawk is my physical wallbreaker, putting serious blows on those Audino or Lickilicky who think that they could just come in and try to stall out my entire team for free. Poison Jab is used because Granbull can annoy Sawk with Intimidate and also to inflict as much damage to Slurpuff as possible to prevent setup. Knock Off makes sure that no wall is a safe switch-in due to the threat of item removal, Ice Punch nails Dragalge and Vileplume, and Close Combat plows through a lot of stuff. Choice Band gives Sawk the power to steamroll through a lot of the metagame.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Vileplume serves as my pivot, checking the many Grass-types like Lilligant and Sceptile that threaten to send Samurott to its grave, while also stopping defensive Seismitoad. Sleep Powder is used to force switches and rack up hazard damage, while also taking advantage of the many Sceptile and Lilligant switching out. The rest of the moves are obvious; two STABs and a recovery move ensure that Vileplume will be able to assist the team.

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

While Sawk takes on the physical side, Pyroar is the special wallbreaker of the team. Hidden Power Grass gives insurance when dealing with Seismitoad, leaving serious holes with Choice Specs. Overheat gives Pyroar the hit and run technique associated with Choice items, while the rest of the moves can be used to clean weakened teams. Unless you are some special wall like Audino, you aren't safe from this thing.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Knock Off

Every good team appreciates Stealth Rock, and Uxie is the one responsible for this task. Not only can it set up rocks, but it can paralyze foes with Thunder Wave as well, potentially increases the number of mons Samurott can set up on. Knock Off is always useful to strip down many item-reliant mons and reduce the lifespans of walls, allowing Samurott to have an easier time at sweeping. I chose a speedy support set to paralyze as many threats as possible.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Finally, Rotom's purpose here is to be a revenge killer with scarf and wear down the opposition with Volt Switch and Trick. TrickScarf in particular beats down an incredible amount of defensive walls, while the rest of the moves are STAB. This could lead up to clearing the path for Samurott to set up an SD and proceed to dominate through the opponents' forces.

More Options

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Dragon Tail

SR tank that can phaze

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

SR tank that can hit hard

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder / Aromatherapy

Physically defensive check to Feraligatr and Samurott

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Bulky priority user

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Relaxed / Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Spikestacker that can Leech Seed stall

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-o-Wisp

Alternate Pyroar that can burn stuff like Spiritomb

Attachments

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey MQJinx

I like the idea being the team :) Choice Specs Pyroar opening up the way for Samurott can be quite effective. The main issue that I see though is that Rotom (any form) can freely click Volt Switch against your team and gain momentum, and that your team could also use a better Kangaskhan switch in. Considering all of this, I am going to suggest you to try out Rhydon over Uxie:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Dragon Tail

Rhydon will also give you a second answer to Ghost-types: Rhydon is surprisingly bulky on the special side with that amount of investment, and can easily switch on Rotom-N, Mismagius, and Haunter, which the rest of the team can't really do. Roar or Dragon Tail is to phaze out threats trying to set up on you or to rack up entry hazard damage. Feel free to try out a more offensive spread if you think you don't need the bulk:
Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

I am also going to suggest you to use a Physically defensive spread on Vileplume. Vileplume's typing is better suited to take on physical attackers imo, and it will allow you to check Feraligatr/Samurott more easily while still being able to take on Sceptile and Lilligant if needed:

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder / Aromatherapy

I put Hidden Power Fire there because while Sawk and Pyroar can indeed OHKO Ferroseed, all they do is force it out. This will allow Vileplume to lure and weaken Ferroseed for Samurott, but I will leave that change up to you (Sleep Powder does work well with your team).

Finally, I am going to suggest you to try out Assault Vest Hariyama over Sawk as I feel like your team can have some issues with Special attackers (mainly Ice-types, which Uxie didn't really dealt with btw), and Hariyama pairs well with Rhydon + Vileplume in general.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Unfortunately, Hariyama doesn't hit as hard as Choice Band Sawk (hue), but it will give your team a third way to revenge kill opponents thanks to Fake Out + Bullet Punch, which I think will be better for you as it will also take some pressure off Vileplume to check Special attacking Grass-types. If you do decide to keep Sawk, I would suggest changing the ability to Mold Breaker as you don't have any Defog or Rapid Spinners to keep Sturdy intact.

Hope I helped!

Hey dude, nice team you have here. Soulgazer has already given you a great rate so unfortunately there isn't a lot for me to suggest. I do have one suggestion that you can test out though and that suggestion would be try Ferroseed over Vileplume. Your team already has a Spinblocker and a Pokemon that works best with Spikes support in Samurott. Ferroseed would leave your team weaker to Hidden Power Fire variants of Sceptile and Lilligant which is why I most definitely support Hariyama change as it gives you a secondary check to both of them. If you decide to go with Rhydon over Uxie then I would recommend a physically defensive set, if you want to keep Uxie then you can easily just run specially defensive.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Relaxed / Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Hope I was able to help :]

I am backing up SG's Hariyama and Rhydon switches wholeheartedly. Both New Breed and SG have covered mostly what I've wanted to say, but there are a couple of things. First is that Spiritomb is a major threat to your team, since it can Wisp Sawk, Trap Uxie + Rotom, Sucker Pyroar, and play mindgames with Samurott.
The easiest thing to do is actually make your Pyroar Will-O-Wisp 3 Attacks Pyroar, which surprisingly hits nearly as strong as Choice Specs, but has the freedom to switch moves and has a secret up its sleeve in Will-O-Wisp. This allows it to bait out and Burn spiritomb, nullifying it as a threat to your team. It also can switch moves to abuse its amazing coverage, which is definitely a boon, and can also cripple other random shit like Sawk or Archeops on the switch in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)