X&Y OU TEAM LoL

LEAGUE of LEGENDS
Hey guys, simple enough post; just wanted to know what you guys thought of a team i came up with recently, but lets keep things relatively civil and non-berating, though criticism is welcome and even desired :)

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall

DD (M) Gyarados is likely the best late game sweeper right now. not to mention, unlike, for example, Charizard, it is not inherently apparent that he will mega evolve. this allows you to play some mind games with your opponent by not mega evolving immediately. after a dragon dance, there isnt much that stops it, especially thanks to mold breaker.

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 56 HP / 200 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

I had long been using a gothitelle/ Tyranitar core with quite a bit of success, and so ive really come to love gothitelle. when i read about a gothitelle/ (M) Gyarados core, i decided to try it out. their typings go really well together, and gothitelle traps anything gyarados cant handle. Specs provide maximum power and the speed lets it get the jump on rotom and (weakened) bulky excadrill.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

SR Exca is not something i had paid much attention to this gen, because of the weather nerf. Boy, was that dumb. not only does it pack a wallop, it outspeeds pretty much everything when sand is up. after Stealth Rock damage, there is a lot it just straight up one shots (TF :P). not to metion, it works great with the gyarados/ gothitelle core. also it can remove Stealth rocks for TF, a nice bonus.

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar's main purpose is to set up sand for excadrill, plus, since it doesn't give away its item with leftovers recovery, has access to status, and isnt locked into a move, it can help cover which mon will mega evolve, as mega tyranitar is deadly, as well. it serves to get Stealth rocks down to help weaken anything that isnt nuked by anything else on the team.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind

Magic guard Clefable seems to see more usage, but unaware is WAY underated. it stops dragonite, Bell Drum Azumarill, and a bunch of other setup sweepers dead in their tracks. It doesnt, however, only have one purpose. It can take out a lot after a couple CMs and it can heal off any damage with wish. Speaking of which, it also serves as a cleric, healing status and passing 197 HP wishes to ensure a sweep. Frankly its one of my favorites on the team- its saved me a bunch

Talonflame (M) Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 Atk / 56 HP
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Talonflame doesnt really require much explanation, but since it is required, ill explain away anyways. Talonflame can take out several weakened threats, as well as providing a much desired fire type STAB which the team lacks otherwise. Tailwind essentially sets up a psuedo-sand for excadrill to help it clean up in the absence of Ttar.

Thanks to U- Turn Out and xJownage for the tip

Last edited:
Hi :) gyarados gothitelle talonflame celefable ttar excadrill
First of all you need 3 lines per pokemon or this will get locked.
Gothitelle: I suggest you change Energy Ball < Trick. Energy Ball doesn't hit much other than grounds which Psychic can already hit well, and Trick can cripple walls troublesome to your team. You trap them with Gotheitelle and give them Choice Specs so they'll be locked into a move. I also suggest Psyshock > Psychic as it hits the physical defense instead of the special defense which all your other moves hit. It can also get past special walls like Chansey easier, as Trick + Psyshock will guarentee that Chansey will be at low health or dead when Gothitelle is gone.

Clefable: I suggest Softboiled over Wish as you get reliable recovery on your Clefable. Your team with setup sweepers don't mind losing Wish as when they switch they already lose all their boosts, so it's pretty pointless to keep Wish. Softboiled also lets you recover the same amount of HP in one turn, and can stall put certain moves like TFlame's Brave Bird. It also helps deal more damage against Charizard X, a big threat.

Talonflame: I suggest you go completely to Choice Band. You already have a sweeper in Mega Gyarados, the star; Talonflame can wallbreak and weaken physical walls to the point where Mega Gyarados can sweep. In that case, replace Swords Dance with Tailwind or Will-O-Wisp. Also Adamant over Jolly as Jolly doesn't really help and Adamant really lets Brave Bird pack a punch.

Things to watch out for:
Azumarill: Once this thing gets a free switch, something is going to take major damage. You can't let this get a switch. Nothing can take the hit, and the only way you can check it is with Talonflame
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 283-334 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Clefable can also get about 30% off with Moonblast while surviving 1 attack.
Still, be very cautious about Azumarill. I can't change anything much because it'll leave a big weakness into something else.

Other than that, good job Swagmaster222 :)

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Very good team except for ONE poke. SD talonflame sucks. It has little bulk and will take so much recoil it wont matter. Choice band is a GREAT set, SD is an AWFUL set. Sorry to be blunt. Band talon gives you options.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spd OR 208 Spd / 252 Atk / 52 HP (Adamant Nature)
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind / Will-o-Wisp
- U-Turn / Steel wing

i recommend the former for all options 140 spd jolly outspeeds thundurus-I and kill it. Adamant max speed wont outspeed it. If you dont concern with thundurus you can use the second set for slightly more power
i like tailwind and uturn.
Tailwind can provide excadrill with a psuedo sandstorm to clean, and provide a great emergency button when talon cant clean giving somebody else the same oppurtunity (tailwind+exca is a great cleaning combo as one can always clean).

U-Turn has a very good momentum gain, steel wing is only used for rock types but wont kill, forcing you to switch anyways where uturn can allow you to scout who the opponent uses for talon.

Overall very good team. May make minor suggestions later but not atm as i am on mobile

Thanks for your comments :)
I suggest you change Energy Ball < Trick.
Energy ball hits rotom for SE damage, though- which the only other mon on the team that does is mega gyarados

I also suggest Psyshock > Psychic
Most of the team is physical rather than special, plus it does more against mega venusaur and non AV conk

Clefable: I suggest Softboiled over Wish
i already considered it and opted for wish instead, but ill try it out

as for Tflame, i just barely added it, and actuallly hadnt really used him much, so i wasnt really sure what worked well. thanks to both of you for the tip. ill change that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)