Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

It's pretty easy to do as long as the starting pose is basically the same (which I would assume it is because the pre-animation sprite was finalized and all). Takes like five minutes to stick the frames from multiple GIFs into one. XD

How is this for an edit on the mouth, layell?
View attachment 2074
Also, does chespin have a back sprite?

Btw, Mega Gengar's looking great, guys! :)

EDIT:
I also did an edit of Fennekin.
Original
View attachment 2081 Edit

I changed the eyes, lengthened the little "wings" on its cheeks and back leg, made the fluff in its ear larger, made its neck skinnier, slightly edited the back, heightened the forehead a little, and fattened the tail.
Critique? And is it better or worse than original?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm once LU posts that update maybe three rounds of LU's and one of ito's, I think that would be cool.

Anyways I'm updating Litleo with Seiku's version

elcheeso put it best when said this is the first Litleo that looks like it has a soul, I've seen a number of sprite versions and I'd have to agree.

Had some additional QC done on MBlaziken's back:

(1) it's the original sprite i uploaded.
(2) This is Layell's QC. While it was an improvement in most areas, the tail was completely off (mega blaziken has a shorter tail than regular blaziken it seems, at least according to some ingame images) so i did:
(3) I tried to get the best from both versions and improve upon it, i think it's not only more faithful to the original, but also a lot easier on the eyes.
Here's a sample for comparison purposes:

I sincerely hope you don't get offended by getting your QC QC'd Layell, if that's the case plz tell me and i will refrain from doing it again...
(or at least try, this spriting thing has gotten me addicted now: i can't stop!! i only slept 3 hours yesterday!! ROFL)

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First rare animation!

Since ito didn't bother with a backsprite, I figured I might as well add my own take on this.It's similar to the fusion between the two of ours, except I made some edits to his part (which is the part with the wiggly mouth wobbling).

While I do love the part of ito's animation where Goomy extends upwards and moves its mouth, I've had some qualms about the part where it moves side to side. I finally realized exactly what was bugging me about it. The thing is that you can't animate blob Pokémon the same way you'd animate normal ones. Here's some examples.

All three of these have things in common. Their movements are very minimal. Except for their hands, their bodies just stay put and ooze around. This oozing is expressed not through motion, but with parts growing and shrinking, stretching and skewing.

ito, your animation is fantastic in quality. Compared to Tyrantrum and Mega Charizard, you've improved greatly at making the motions a lot smoother. However, it isn't animated like jello, with parts changing in size rather than position. It instead looks like a solid mass moving left and right on top of a jello base. This makes Goomy's head seem almost rock solid, which doesn't look right at all.

Essentially, you did a great job with the quality, but you made some mistakes in the technique. It's similar to drawing the line art of something without first sketching out the basic proportions, the finished version will just look kind of weird. Nonetheless, your signs of improvement are pretty incredible, because if you could make your Tyrantrum and Mega Charizard animations as good as your Goomy's, that would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Just saw on the chart that delphox is already done....

Well I'll work on mega tyranitar or mega aggron then, (except if RedRooster wants to do Ty)

EDIT: I could also do mega abomasnow if nobody else has

So, I know I said that I was just going to stop spriting for this project, but I still want to help out, and, since I had a little bit of time, I decided to make recolor the current Vivillon sprite using its Icy Snow pattern. Make of it what you will, I just wanted to drop this here.

alright i'm going to start on the mega tyranitar now
Be careful, even though the height/weight are yet to be confirmed, if you pay attention you can see that the head is a bit higher than on a normal tyranitar, so if you wanted to edit it's bw sprite, i suggest you to cut its head and edit it separately, then fusing it with the rest of the body

Be careful, even though the height/weight are yet to be confirmed, if you pay attention you can see that the head is a bit higher than on a normal tyranitar, so if you wanted to edit it's bw sprite, i suggest you to cut its head and edit it separately, then fusing it with the rest of the body
yeah that's prop what I'll if I edit the bw sprite thanks for the advice

If someone would be kind enough to tell me a good sprite making and animating program I will give it a shot as I have animation experience.

Well, for the little "wings" on the cheeks, I prefer the ones on the original, (imo) because I find them a bit too long, and I feel the eyes are awkward. Maybe a bit big. But for the rest, I like your edits.
Really, if you look at the art of Fennekin, that's what it actually looks like. The cheeks on the original were much too small, and really, they're quite huge.
fennekin edit.png
(official art compared to my edit)
See? It's "wings" are practically going past its ears. I can see why you'd say that, though, because it looks very unnatural for an actual fox. I personally think the eyes on my edit look better than the original, but I agree they still need some work. I may slightly edit the "wings", too, but probably not shorten them. Of course, my edit does not have to be used, but I think it looks more like Fennekin. The original was an excellent start though, just a bit off.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
no no i do intend to make a back sprite animation for goomy as well. Sorry for not mentioning that I would be since its in the rules didnt think I had to mention it. Anywho combining our sprites came out pretty awesome but is it ok if I try making my own version of ours combined? Like it would go down like yours, then my side to sides and open mouth and a mix of our swiggly mouths. Before I get started on the back it would be good to know how the fronts finished form will be.

And thanks so much for the compliments. Means alot since your such a great animator. Tbh, it was you saying that you was gonna try making goomy that made me put as much effort as possible into goomy....well that and cuz he goomy after all. He deserves the best. But i'll keep in mind all you said. Will definatly try to make tyrantrum and soon mega charzard x just as good :)

Last edited:
Someone's already working on Mega Gyarados.

...About Goomy, I think it depends what kind of blob it is... Consistency-wise. Physically. Ditto is a shapeshifter, and Grimer and Muk are quite literally piles of sludge. But something like Swalot, according to it's Gen 5 sprite animation, is more... physically stable. Though I dunno what Goomy is supposed to be made of, so..

Anyway if you guys want me to combine any animations to one file again just let me know. If not, that's cool. lol

Really, if you look at the art of Fennekin, that's what it actually looks like. The cheeks on the original were much too small, and really, they're quite huge.
View attachment 2102 (official art compared to my edit)
See? It's "wings" are practically going past its ears. I can see why you'd say that, though, because it looks very unnatural for an actual fox. I personally think the eyes on my edit look better than the original, but I agree they still need some work. I may slightly edit the "wings", too, but probably not shorten them. Of course, my edit does not have to be used, but I think it looks more like Fennekin. The original was an excellent start though, just a bit off.
In any case, both "wings" on each side should actually be drawn as one, with a line drawn between them afterwards. And they may look big from that angle but that may be because they go around its head (im not sure if i'm stating my point correctly, my english is a little rough) so from a more frontal angle they may look smaller.
Another thing is, that sprite of yours is a mess of colors, theres a few pixels here and there that need to be fixed, check it with a color replacing tool (like MS paint's right-clicking eraser)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Someone's already working on Mega Gyarados.

...About Goomy, I think it depends what kind of blob it is... Consistency-wise. Physically. Ditto is a shapeshifter, and Grimer and Muk are quite literally piles of sludge. But something like Swalot, according to it's Gen 5 sprite animation, is more... physically stable. Though I dunno what Goomy is supposed to be made of, so..

Anyway if you guys want me to combine any animations to one file again just let me know. If not, that's cool. lol
Oh yea forgot to mention that till you said that haha. Gulpin was kinda what came in the back of my mind for it since its evos arent bloby anymore. But again we dont really know either way until the game comes out.

About Fennekin, I think there's more than a few stray pixels. I just imported the Fennekin sprite to Photoshop and there are a ton of stray pixels that aren't the same color as any other pixel.

Photoshop is super easy to use but of course it's expensive. (I got it on a student discount.) Photoshop has a really convenient animation workspace you can use from the menu. You can technically just make the frames in anything though. If the program supports layers you can toggle the visibility and preview what the animation would look like. If it can save as an animated GIF, even better, but if not, as long as you make the frames, anyone can just throw it in Photoshop and set it to animate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)